Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2021, 14:49   #16
BHPian

re: Confused between the BMW 2-Series, Mercedes A-Class, X1 & GLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke1972 View Post
Well it seems that the popular opinion boils down to the A4.
I have been in touch with Audi Gurgaon for a friend. They conceded they had sold A4 at 39.xx Lacs INR last month. But this month, the discounts are less as stocks are down and they are quoting 42.xx Lacs INR for A4 PP.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th October 2021 at 19:06. Reason: Quote trimmed. Period.
FAIAAA is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 15:07   #17
BHPian

I am surprised why no one mentioned the Volvo XC40, it is quite a capable car, high on features and safety, nice design, and drives well too. Do certainly add this into your mix. There is also a good offer going on currently, do check out with a nearby dealer https://www.volvocars.com/in/offers
streetfighter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 16:00   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

If you can stretch for the A4, get the A4.
The A4 is not a 2 series or A Class competitor, but a proper rival to the 3 series and C Class globally - beating it in a few areas and coming across as a proper all rounder in it's segment with it's quality interiors, balanced ride & handling, competent powertrains and gearbox.

The GLA though new is simply over-priced for what it offers, and the X1 is just too dated for the prices asked. I would instead consider the new XC40, or go a segment below and look at the Octavia (since size is an issue).
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 07:18   #19
BHPian

Kindly also let us know your running, ie how much the car will run daily and on what kind of roads?
Fuel and preference?
For how many years do you plan to keep the car?
If it will be running a lot, a good part in traffic and you plan to keep it for long and don't mind a diesel, I'd suggest the X1 or GLA diesels more so because they are Torque converters, as opposed to dual clutches in other cars (including A4)
Old 9th October 2021, 08:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

If ‘Luxury’ class is what your heart says, then, please stay away from the 2 or the A class. You will wonder what you got for the money you paid. You’ll have the badge on the car, and it stops there. You’ll not find it luxury enough. And you’ll be craving to upgrade sooner than you would like. Might as well stretch a bit more and look at a segment higher.

That way, an A4 is segments higher and will keep you happy. It isn’t too big to drive inside the city. You’ll get used to it in a day.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 9th October 2021 at 08:36. Reason: Spelling
jkrishnakj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 09:07   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest the Volvo XC40, one of my friend just picked up the car a few months ago and ever since I have been in it, I loved the package it offers! Everything screams quality, sound system is absolutely phenomenal. Petrol motor has a pretty strong punch for the car’s size.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 09:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Well I have joined this forum quite recently and pretty eager to get the knowledgeable opinion of fellow members regarding my dilemma.

Currently I drive a Honda City 2007 model and due our environmental laws it would not be possible to continue driving the same from next year onward. I embarked upon a hunt to change my vehicle and got drawn in by various posts in this forum about the various vehicles and having read umpteen reviews of the different vehicles started my journey of vehicle finalization since last 6-7 months.

Initially I was waiting for the Kushaq and Taigun. The launches have left me underwhelmed, especially the Kushaq with the fit and finish and omission of safety kit. I paid a visit to the nearby Jeep dealer and was reasonable impressed by the fit and finish and the safety equipment on offer. Though the Jeep Compass ticked all my boxes however since I was taking things leisurely, I came across several posts regarding the availability of the Audi Q2 at a mouthwatering price. Lured by the prices i started on thinking about the Q2. Further on visiting the showroom saw the Q2 and there were some minor points like i) CBU unit so there may be long delays due to parts unavailability (again less nos sold), ii) No rear AC vents or grab handles (felt that this should be standard equipment), MY 20 model.

Next to the Q2 the A4 was being showcased which felt like an nice executive sedan (I felt that it was a little large for using on as a daily commute). The interiors were top notch and it surely felt luxurious. After considering the A4 and with the BhPian's buying the A4 at good prices I really looked long and hard at the A4. Since the OTR had now stretched out thought to have a look at the competition i.e. the Mercedes A class and BMW 2 series before taking a call.

Visited the dealership and the 2 series and the A class seem to be the perfect size (a wee bit smaller perhaps but I was happy with the size). The 2 felt sporty and the frameless doors left me drooling.The A class in my opinion had the better interiors and looked like a more complete package. Well now with the above shortlist and with the family members throwing the X1 and GLA into the mix I am pretty confused (I like sedans however the ingress and egress of the SUV's are more easier).

The dealerships have informed that they would send across the offers in a couple of days as the October offers are awaited. I have not test driven any of the vehicles, will do so in the coming days.
So I also had Honda City but 2014 model. I wanted to upgrade to luxury segment for the first time and honestly, A Class, X1, 2 Series all just felt like a compromise when it came to practicality. Sure Honda City has more space inside but then trust me, there are lot of other things from quality, fit & finish, engine, suspension, ride quality, noise levels and so much that even 2 Series, X1 or A Class would win any given day compared to Honda City.

The problem is these entry level luxury cars are not practical for day to day life. They have less rear space & boot space which is very important. I was lucky enough to get A4 at 44.5 OTR but I still went overboard from my budget of 30-35 OTR. I just couldn't find the right car for myself that could make a meaningful upgrade from Honda City. My Honda City had everything, brilliant rear space, boot space, good interiors, good driving dynamics, vtec engine and so on. Sure it would feel a step back if I had bought A Class sedan or 2 Series but after owning Audi A4, I understand there's substantial upgrades more than just space around.

If space is not the matter, you must go for entry level luxury cars. Driving Honda City and luxury cars are on different levels. I don't really think one can compare. Also, keep checking offers on Audi A4, you will find a good deal. It's a lovely car and it runs like a beast.

FYI, I'm a guy who loves manual gear because I can throttle but I'm very happy with DSG automatic in A4. It's beautiful to drive
Bruichladdich is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 11:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvothe_rules View Post
I think you should start a thread on this one Ajmat. I'll be keenly interested to follow as I too want to upgrade from a Jetta. Its just that my current residential situation means I cant drive my Jetta ( Its in bangalore being just barely driven by my relative) till I return.
Same here. After Jetta only upgrades in contention start from 3 series or equivalent. I will be looking at X3 or Q5 as upgrade.

A class/ Q2/ or X1 are not really luxury, only badges. Still from Honda City, X1could be a decent and practical upgrade than A4 keeping in view life cycle costs and usability.
MADMAX111 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 20:01   #24
BHPian

I am surprised to not see this recommendation. I know you are looking to enter the premium segment, but will definitely recommend to try the Octavia out. I think this one really provides the premium feel. Haven’t driven it, so I might be missing something. Better to get the 3/5 series, X3, E class when you are willing to push the budget that far or looking at used.

Regards the options, X1 is definitely a good entry at a moderate price compared to the 2 series and a class. But this is only if you need the practicality that it offers. I would definitely have gone for the sedans than the X1 if not for a large dog that we travel with. The engine is lovely and the space inside is good. However, the ride is a bit bouncy, the gearbox not as good as the 3 series, and handling great in the segment but not close to the sedans. Quality is great, and that is something you will definitely enjoy with this segment compared to others and thats what you really pay for! Again, I think the relaunched Tiguan 5 seater or Kodiaq might be a better compromise, if they launch!

Last edited by ronk : 10th October 2021 at 20:04.
ronk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 23:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Currently I drive a Honda City 2007 model

Initially I was waiting for the Kushaq and Taigun. The launches have left me underwhelmed, especially the Kushaq with the fit and finish and omission of safety kit. I paid a visit to the nearby Jeep dealer and was reasonable impressed by the fit and finish and the safety equipment on offer. Though the Jeep Compass ticked all my boxes however since I was taking things leisurely, I came across several posts regarding the availability of the Audi Q2 at a mouthwatering price. Lured by the prices i started on thinking about the Q2. Further on visiting the showroom saw the Q2 and there were some minor points like i) CBU unit so there may be long delays due to parts unavailability (again less nos sold), ii) No rear AC vents or grab handles (felt that this should be standard equipment), MY 20 model.
I must say I'm in the same boat.
Let me define the boat first.
  • We are looking for a car ( or SUV ) in the range of 15L to 20L ( and then to 30L stretched budget ).
  • We want a car ( or SUV ) with
    • Good build quality. Sturdily built if not built like a tank.
    • Should score 4 star or 5 start in any crash testing and should be equipped with safety equipments ( both active and passive )
    • Good engine and driving dynamics.
    • Interiors that would justify the price tag. Something like Creta / Seltos / Astor. Better is good.
  • We were hoping VAG twins would give us a great product to suit our needs. Alas! we are disappointed.
  • Koreans twins just don't impress us. Mainly because of the driving dynamics and safety concerns.
  • 4 seater, 4.5 seater and 5 seater would all work for us, but should be enough for a small family and occasional 5 seater. At least decent boot space coming from Honda City.
  • Jeep Compass ticks all the boxes. But is at a stretch of 10L.

I also got excited hearing Audi Q2 at 34L and I immediately told my wife that we are getting Audi as our next car ( too eager to announce ).
I also searched for all entry level luxury cars including Audi A4 and Volvo XC40. Got on with the comparisons on various websites and reading reviews on Team BHP.
However, within few hours, I realised that this is not going to work .

Let me explain. Let's just take Audi Q2 first since this one is supposedly at the mouthwatering price. And, lets compare them with Jeep Compass. Since Jeep Compass ticks most boxes for us.
There are just two places where Audi Q2 scores more than Jeep Compass.
  • The four rings ( Audi Brand ).
  • The performance of Q2 is just awesome. Jeep compass just cannot match the Audi's quattro fun and dynamics. However, I think body roll is still better in Jeep Compass.
Jeep Compass is a lot better than Audi Q2 in many other areas. To mention a few:
  • Space - Space is very limited in Audi Q2. Jeep Compass has better rear seat and boot space
  • Interiors - I found Jeep Compass Interiors to be better than Audi Q2. But this is a personal perspective.
  • Features - Q2 does not even get electronic powered seats or rear AC vents.
  • Maintenance - Since Q2 is CBU, there is a very high chance that your car will be in service centre for more than few weeks in case something happens.
  • Safety - I'm not sure about this. But, from what I've gathered, Jeep Compass has few safety features that are not present in Q2 or even Q3.
  • Price - While Q2 at 34L is mouthwatering, this may not be the case in real. You may get a discount of 4-6 Lac but nothing more than that. Even considering that the showrooms have reduced the discounts due to chips shortage.
After Q2, I also compared with A Class, 2 Series, XC40, X1 and GLA and found similar differences. I think, entry level luxury cars are not really practical for a family person. If you are a bachelor ( or spinster) who would mostly drive alone or occasionally with friends and if you can afford one, you should definitely go for it.
But for a family person with kids, these cars are just too small.
I think you should go for Jeep Compass Model S ( O2 ). Petrol or Diesel is your choice. This is a great car at a very good price. I still am not able to find a good alternative to Jeep Compass.

What about Audi A4?
If you are really considering another sedan, I think Skoda Octavia should be considered over A4. Again due to similar reasoning. Skoda Octavia provides a lot more in terms of space and features as compared to A4 at a quite lower price. And Skoda is still considered premium.
rAijin_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 13:19   #26
BHPian

Thanks for the pointers.

The BMW guy brought over the cars for a test drive yesterday. He got the X1 and the 220d. The 2 series felt nicer to drive than the X1 whereas the X1 seems more practical. Felt some turbo lag in the lower speeds in the X1 however once the engine crosses the 2000 rpm felt the acceleration and was pushed back in the seat. Well have informed the BMW guy that I may need to drive the vehicles further before I finalise. The rough quotes for the X1 and the 2 series are 44.5l and 45.5l and there is some more room for negotiation. There is a further 1l bonus for exchange, however the exchange valuation is pretty low. Further to this there is a 1l cashback for availing BMW finance however I am not contemplating availing finance.

As some members have suggested that the entry level luxury vehicles still have that fit and finish and attention to detail which is a little bit better than the others. Sure the mind at times tells me to buy another Honda City / Verna/Creta/Astor which will serve my purposes however the heart yearns for a high performance quality product. I think maybe the year end will bring some better offers on the table or should I also wait for the Tiguan ? This may be my last ICE car so carefully considering the choices on the table.
Old 13th October 2021, 16:40   #27
BHPian

A couple of axioms that I have been told over the years - could be outdated.
1. Entry level mercs - the ones that compete with 3 series or A4 are not worth it.
2. Cars below the traditional entry levels (3 series, A4) are not advisable either. X1 could be an exception.
The underlying concept for these aphorisms as I understand -
1. These entry level cars don't have the same bells and whistles of the rest of the lineup (missing rear ac vents? Really?)
2. These cars cost as much to maintain, which is a pain for people who've stretched their budgets to get there.
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 17:38   #28
BANNED

Firstly decide the level of practicality you need. If it will be a daily driver with regular use of backseat and to be used for outstation drives as well, get the crossover. No 2 ways about it, GLA and X1 drive like a hatch but with the composure of a sedan and practicality of a wagon almost.

If backseats won't be used much and you prioritise Fun to drive character then 3 series.

2GC honestly i feel is a car neither here, nor there. 3 series is more fun to drive and X1 is more practical. So the only advantage it has are the gadgets and looks.
Old 13th October 2021, 19:29   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..high performance quality product..
A BMW with RWD + Turbo Petrol + ZF8 gearbox combination, preferably a sedan.

There is no match for this - built like a tank, reliable and very exciting.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 14:24   #30
BHPian

Re: Confused between the BMW 2-Series, Mercedes A-Class, X1 & GLA

Makes sense to wait for the Tiguan 5 seater. It will tick the boxes of a solid German SUV with high quality, comfort, features, and drive experience while not robbing the bank. The other options are all in no-man's land. Having said that, the 2-series comes close as a heart-over-head decision. Finally, the XC40 would be the more rational luxury choice. My vote in this thread goes with waiting for the Tiguan.

Most Viewed