Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 15:16   #16

Re: New car conundrum in the 30 - 40 lakh range

I would say go with lesser expensive car option (lesser than 20 lakhs) and use it for 4-5 years. It would give you more experience in driving and evaluating the needs. Given the way price of fuel are increasing, EV adoption is around the corner. After 5 years, when everyone is getting EV, you may also consider to go for it with additional money saved now (and invested) instead of plonking it all at once now on a petrol car to use it for 10 years.
abhijeetd_swift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 17:39   #17
BHPian

Ok, here is my take on the matter. Being a dad of 2 kids and living with parents, I can totally forsee you in same boat atleast 4-5+ years later when probably you'll have another kid. Sorry to go so deep in analyses.

And that you would be buying the car in 2022, I believe that new Kia Carnival would be the most appropriate choice. Since kids will obviously grow and would need more space and hence, a 6 seater would be needed eventually. I certainly hope that new carnival is launched in 1st quarter of 2022.

This POV is totally based on extra practical outlook .

Yes,it is a huge car but for all the road trips, you would need luggage spaces which none of the MPVs/SUVs currently offer once you have all the seats up.

Sorry for adding to the confusion!
sidharthg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 17:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

You need space, man. Cabin space as well as boot space. You should check out the Kia Carnival. It is big, but otherwise it is pretty much tailor made for your kind of usage. The perfect car for touring with family.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 18:49   #19
BHPian

Like you and many others in this price bracket, I went through the same process a year ago. I finally bought a Superb because nothing could replicate that feeling of luxury and power in this range and I have been totally happy with it. Just had my first servicing done and the service experience was slick and uneventful. I drive in Bangalore and all across Karnataka, Goa and Tamil Nadu and the ride, ground clearance and power have been great. I would recommend it whole heartedly.

The Kodiaq is a beautiful SUV and if it was available last year, I might have stretched to it.
manku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 19:06   #20
BHPian

Go and get yourself the A4, let the heart win over the head this time. It may be the last time you are owning an ICE Car. You will get used to the space. If you buy any other car, you will feel bad after the honeymoon period. Superb is a good contender but given the change to EV Period I think getting a car from the big 3 will be a far stretch afterwards. I don't know whether the Discounts are over, but they had offered around 10-11 lakh discounts earlier which made the OTR very much close to that of Superb L&K. In the view of the Skyrocketing prices of fuels, one can only dream of owning an ICE car after 5 years
DevSunit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 19:38   #21

Mod note: Back to back posts. Please use Multi Quote [Quote+] and wait for moderator approval to edit the original post. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharthg View Post
I believe that new Kia Carnival would be the most appropriate choice.
Very valid points sidharthg, just that wife is completely opposed to MPV/ MUVs as the single car for family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
You need space, man. Cabin space as well as boot space. You should check out the Kia Carnival. It is big, but otherwise it is pretty much tailor made for your kind of usage. The perfect car for touring with family.
Yes Shreyans_Jain, did consider it for a shortwhile before being shot down by wife, also since this will be single car in the family, not sure how effective it will be to use for occasional basic daily needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Glad you read my thread, bud. Buy a better car and keep it for 10 years . Will work out cheaper in the long run and you'll have a lot more smiles.

My suggestions to you in order of preference:

Go for option no.1 if you want to splurge; my mantra is "you got one life and you have to live it to the fullest". This is what I would buy if I were in your shoes (or the 330i). Go for option no.3 if you don't want to spend big bucks. Go for option no.2 if you want a bit of both, and save a couple of lakhs.
Thanks GTO, the dealer didn't have 330i, I TDed the 3GL, will probably try out the 330i once and see if that beats the A4 in our requirements. I am actually good with the deal I am getting for A4, and we love all aspects of the car, barring the middle seat, that is too cramped. Anyways I am very inclined towards this, and will probably make one more visit and check out if the middle seat can be usable. If it works out then it will be a no brainer for me.

Otherwise I am likely to go ahead with Superb, after checking the Kodiaq once in case it is more practical (but I doubt it will feel better than a sedan).

One question - in case the A4 still feels a compromise from the middle seat perspective, do you think it makes sense to wait a bit for Q3 launch, will it be better as an overall package?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I would say first freeze upon budget else you will keep increasing and end up with an option that is quite expensive. Also factor in insurance and service cost escalations.

My top pick would be Fortuner as it meets all your needs.

Rest all Audi etc have too many compromises like high maintenance, limited space etc. I have been using Skoda Rapid TDi and am put off with its high maintenance and parts failing costs etc. More of a headache to drive such cars as one never knows what goes bad hence buy super reliable vehicle.
Forgot to mention that massive SUVs like Fortuner/ Endeavour are not my focus, their interiors are less premium, way too bulky for me and also not going to use the 4-wd capabilities much. Sorry to hear about reliability woes of Skoda, that's something that bothers me a bit, seems there are always mixed reactions. I am getting very good maintenance options with Audi which makes it very reasonable maintenance for 5 years at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Based on priorities that you mentioned and cars like 330i already rejected, I would suggest Superb first and then A4.
Superb considering it’s more spacious and that massive boot when you are travelling with full family. Honestly, these days any car (not bigger SUVs / MUVs) can seat only 4 comfortably and 5th person has to be a kid or have to adjust. However Superb will be relatively better, especially if you are getting booster seat for your kid. And in Bangalore ŠKODA service Center’s are really capable and I never had any complaints for 6 years.
A4 will be close second considering the brand image and also you are getting it for just couple of lakhs above Superb.
Good to know about Skoda service centre reliability. It is becoming clear to me that the decision will be finally between Superb and Audi as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I'd urge you to consider the well priced Hyundai Tucson as an option

3) Volvo has come a big way in terms of brand and repute. Would be worth considering too if you go the luxury route.

- I'm surprised you found the 3 series to have a worse ride than the C Class. In my experience it was the opposite. Please do another test drive & check the tyre pressure (should be 32 PSI, not the overtly inflated numbers most companies ask you to keep).
I have discussed about Tucson a few times with my wife, she feels ~30 lakhs for a Hyundai is weird, maybe I will TD it once and take a call.

Just TDed the Volvo S60 yesterday, feels good, but a good 12-13 lakhs more expensive than the A4 discounted price, and A4 feels nicer, albeit the middle passenger leg room challenge, so will give it a pass.

Interesting to know about the 3-series, I will probably do another test drive of it with special focus on the tyre pressure, thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
Wondering why no one has recommended XUV700 the current favourite in the market? BTW, I am asking it as a question without any bias. Just thinking out loud.
Possibly because I did mention about not being a fan of the brand at the moment. XUV700 does look like a solid proposition and might be a great product to enhance Mahindra's brand perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Safety rating aside, I would say wait for the new Hyundai Tucson to be launched as well. Should be loaded with Airbags and ESP and new design means few on the road and you can use it for a while.

Google shows launch is around Jan 2022 but dealers should have more clarity as the date approaches.
Thanks for this note, will keep a tab on this, although its unlikely we spend ~30 lakhs on a Hyundai unless it just bowls us over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSunit View Post
Go and get yourself the A4, let the heart win over the head this time. It may be the last time you are owning an ICE Car. You will get used to the space. If you buy any other car, you will feel bad after the honeymoon period. Superb is a good contender but given the change to EV Period I think getting a car from the big 3 will be a far stretch afterwards. I don't know whether the Discounts are over, but they had offered around 10-11 lakh discounts earlier which made the OTR very much close to that of Superb L&K. In the view of the Skyrocketing prices of fuels, one can only dream of owning an ICE car after 5 years
Haha you are picking words right out of my mouth, one of the key rational I am using to go for an A4, I am getting really good discounts as well as I love the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by manku View Post
Like you and many others in this price bracket, I went through the same process a year ago. I finally bought a Superb because nothing could replicate that feeling of luxury and power in this range and I have been totally happy with it. Just had my first servicing done and the service experience was slick and uneventful. I drive in Bangalore and all across Karnataka, Goa and Tamil Nadu and the ride, ground clearance and power have been great. I would recommend it whole heartedly.

The Kodiaq is a beautiful SUV and if it was available last year, I might have stretched to it.
Great to know your good experience, will probably check the Kodiaq as well before making a decision.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd November 2021 at 20:32. Reason: back to back posts. Please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
Old 2nd November 2021, 20:28   #22
BHPian

For me, there are two way you can go:

Option 1 - Innova. This will give you everything you NEED (space, comfort, safety, reliability) but not everything you WANT.

Or you could go with

Option 2 - Tigaun/Tiguan AllSpace/Kodiaq/Superb. You will have to compromise a bit on the fuss-free ownership and reliability, but you will drive with a smile on your weekend/long trips. Personally, I would go for Option 2 any day.
ACe_10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 21:42   #23
Team-BHP Support

Space + Long Term Reliability + Non Taxi looks point to Toyota Fortuner. Would have suggested Ford Endeavour if Ford had not left the country. I don't think any sedan can accommodate 4 adults and a growing kid comfortably along with luggages for long trips.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 00:48   #24
BHPian

If you plan to go for short duration ownership, lookout options for leasing.
I think it make perfect sense for someone like you, who wants peace of mind, and at the same time hone your driving skills before making a big ticket purchase.
harmanjeet14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 02:20   #25
One
BHPian

Some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand_Master View Post
Hi Bhpians,

1. Comfort: We are a family of 4 adults and a fast growing 3-year-old boy. Me and my father are 6 feet+, big frame, so car needs to be spacious. Also, I want my 70 approaching parents to have the best possible riding experience on long road trips without being tired that I intend to make around Bangalore.....

......I want my parents to really have a wonderful time, this will be the first car they will own. The car also needs to be interesting for my wife who otherwise might be less keen on longer road trips if it gets tiring. Finally, my kid as he grows up and is trending towards becoming a tall lad like his father/ grandfather, the car should be able to accommodate that growth for the next 7-10 years.
No sedan will be comfortable with low ingress for older folks (even if they are comfortable today) and if there's a possibility of the family growing larger, the entire segment is out. Which makes me think that...

Quote:
This is going to be the single car we will own for at next 7+ years, I do not see the need for a separate car until my kid grows up, since no one else in my family drives/ needs an independent car
....This may or may not be true. Taking the only car in garage, a Superb, a km away for running some errands and trying to find parking in Bangalore might not be most conducive. Or a car with a hump. Or one day you realise that a driver might be needed to ferry folks at home around.

Quote:
4. Reliability: As I mentioned before, I am a complete novice about cars, so need a reliable one with minimal need for unscheduled maintenance, especially given I would do frequent road trips
6. Ownership period: I don’t expect this vehicle to run more than 7-8K a year and want to keep it for long, preferably 8-10 years.
With your running, ideally all cars would fit the bill

Quote:
MPVs are out, given my wife gets a feeling of taxi every time she sees the shape, independent of whichever brand it might be
light steering makes me confident it will not be an issue.
To summarise:
- Sedans with their not so easy ingress-egress over next 7-10 years might not be a good choice.
- If there is a remote possibility of family size increasing/ driver possibility, sedans are again out.
- The soon to come Kodiaq (and Allspace) might be best options for a single car but these are not small cars which can be easily parked etc. in city conditions.
- From the existing lot and excluding sedans, Fortuner, Volvo and MPVs, only the Hector and Tucson have maximum shoulder room for 3 at the back. The Tucson is extremely comfortable in ride quality on bad roads, it is nowhere as firm as atleast the existing Kodiaq/ AllSpace.

If parents comfort is a priority over other aspects:
- Just ensure the TD car air pressure is correct
- Fit a car seat for kids
- Then sit with one of the parents at the 2nd row while being driven over Bangalore roads
to know how comfortable a car really is for them.

- Finally, inspite of low running, there might be utility of a MPV which is extremely comfortable and a smaller good looking car approved by wife (not necessarily a hatchback) which is used in the city (people in long drives will know the difference between MPV level comfort for > 4 vs most other cars) . Running will be extremely low for each car but this will satiate the need for aesthetics and space + comfort.

As an aside, aesthetics and driving pleasure are very important to me, but I have chosen comfort, parents' aspirations whenever a car with my parents were involved. My first car inspite of a new driver was a sedan simply because it was their first car. Once I wanted to buy a hot hatch for myself but bought a sedan because they liked it more and it was more spacious. I have bought cars for myself when I could afford more than one car and was sure they wouldn't use it. And finally in a family of 6, the option of good looking comfortable cars really doesn't exist even though parents rarely sit in the car all the time. But when they want to, they can do it comfortably which makes it worth the while!

Let us know what you and your wife eventually choose
One is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 08:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Immediately we realized the Superb is so much better for our need.... it felt like a luxury car beyond anything we had tried before.
Then came the A4, and we just loved it... The A4 price I am getting will be a couple of lakhs more than Superb L&K!
I was in a similar conundrum for a spacious family car that does highway trips in comfort a year ago and brought home the Superb. I travel with a kid in car seat too and the rear can actually sear 2 adults+car seat comfortably. If you need a sedan for 4 tall people + a kid, I can't think of a better one unless you start considering E-class LWB and the likes. Plus, Superb's boot can swallow half your house and still look only half full. For sheer practicality+luxury+vfm, nothing beats the Superb in that range. Skoda service in B'lore hasn't been an issue for me in the last 5 years with 2 skodas - just make sure to get extended warranty. You clearly liked everything about the car too, from your test drive, other than the badge value.

The A4 will give you that badge value+ more premium quality all around with a bit of a compromise on space. So head vs heart. Test drive both of them back to back and then decide. There is no wrong choice between them.

I would skip the 330i/330Li - that small boot will be very impractical for a family of 4+1. Plus, you said you are a relaxed driver and might not really need the extra shove of the B48. I would similarly skip GLA/X1/Q3 etc. Too many compromises in them just to get badge value.
Happy hunting!
niranjanrvce is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 11:37   #27
BHPian

Advise from other BHPians are apt so I want to focus here for my inputs
"We are a family of 4 adults and a fast growing 3-year-old boy. Me and my father are 6 feet+" and you want to keep the car for 8-10 years. So anything not with the ample width / middle seat comfort is out.

You are 4(including elders and taller ppl) + a Kid + comfort is your first criteria I would suggest you to explore 7 seaters. Even after 10 years, 3rd row will be able to accommodate 13 year old comfortably

Explore these (my pick would be Kodiaq / Carnival depending on need)
- Skoda Kodiaq
- Jeep Meridian (not yet launched)
- Innova AT
- Tiguan All space
- Kia Carnival

Last edited by Asoon : 3rd November 2021 at 11:38.
Asoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 15:19   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACe_10 View Post
For me, there are two way you can go:
To summarise:
- Sedans with their not so easy ingress-egress over next 7-10 years might not be a good choice.
- If there is a remote possibility of family size increasing/ driver possibility, sedans are again out.
- The soon to come Kodiaq (and Allspace) might be best options for a single car but these are not small cars which can be easily parked etc. in city conditions.
- From the existing lot and excluding sedans, Fortuner, Volvo and MPVs, only the Hector and Tucson have maximum shoulder room for 3 at the back. The Tucson is extremely comfortable in ride quality on bad roads, it is nowhere as firm as atleast the existing Kodiaq/ AllSpace.
Great summary, I will look at Kodiaq before taking a call. Just feel Fortuner is way too pricey and bulky for my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
I was in a similar conundrum for a spacious family car that does highway trips in comfort a year ago and brought home the Superb. I travel with a kid in car seat too and the rear can actually sear 2 adults+car seat comfortably. If you need a sedan for 4 tall people + a kid, I can't think of a better one unless you start considering E-class LWB and the likes. Plus, Superb's boot can swallow half your house and still look only half full. For sheer practicality+luxury+vfm, nothing beats the Superb in that range. Skoda service in B'lore hasn't been an issue for me in the last 5 years with 2 skodas - just make sure to get extended warranty. You clearly liked everything about the car too, from your test drive, other than the badge value.

The A4 will give you that badge value+ more premium quality all around with a bit of a compromise on space. So head vs heart. Test drive both of them back to back and then decide. There is no wrong choice between them.
Absolutely loved the Superb, good to know about its reliability as well, wife is actually more inclined towards it. Will do one final TD when in Bangalore to get to a final decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
You are 4(including elders and taller ppl) + a Kid + comfort is your first criteria I would suggest you to explore 7 seaters. Even after 10 years, 3rd row will be able to accommodate 13 year old comfortably

Explore these (my pick would be Kodiaq / Carnival depending on need)
- Skoda Kodiaq
- Jeep Meridian (not yet launched)
- Innova AT
- Tiguan All space
- Kia Carnival
Kodiaw and Meridian is something I will try before deciding, thanks for the tip!
Old 6th November 2021, 08:19   #29
BHPian

Keep in mind that the Superb is the size of an A6. While the A4 is the size of an Octavia.

What you're getting with a Superb is a bigger car with lower cost of maintenance and the difference in interiors to an A4 isn't large. Plus more space in the back and the boot for your large family to travel in more comfort.
evil_grin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 14:04   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Option 2: Go for Superb.
For a single car garage with parents and kid I'd highly recommend the Superb for the space and larger boot on offer over the A4. The Superb covers the large sedan base to the T and will allow you a lot more focus when picking up a second car in future, EV, small hatch, hot hatch, etc.

The upcoming facelifted Kodiaq may offer even better utility with its extra row of seats and ground clearance but I remember it not feeling as luxurious as the Superb. Also, the Skoda's tantrums and upkeep over the next 6-10 years will warm you up for future Euro upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
What you're getting with a Superb is a bigger car with lower cost of maintenance and the difference in interiors to an A4 isn't large.
The quality, fit & finish, noise insulation, drive quality of the A4 are easily from a segment higher than the Superb. The Superb on the other hand has better space, bigger boot, nicer sound system and ventilated seats. Take your choice of feature set and go for the kill, can't go wrong with either of the two.

Last edited by manson : 6th November 2021 at 16:37.
manson is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks