Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should I buy it?
Yes - looks like a good deal to me! 34 17.35%
No - Stay away from a demo car! 162 82.65%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2022, 14:42   #31
BHPian

Re: Should I buy this 4200-km demo Audi Q2?

Go ahead and buy it.

Of course, do a final negotiation to bring it down to less than 30 (or as low as possible from 34L) which is my only dangling factor here.

A used car is definitely not a better option than a demo car unless you know the owner or the car from the day of delivery. At least in a demo car you get all the necessary warranties and service packs. And again, end of the day, an Audi is an Audi. it cannot be compared to Compass or Tiguan - At least not an apple to apple comparison in my opinion.

Since you like the Q2 and ticks all your boxes (I personally find it literally cramped at the rear and of course not premium enough when I compare it with "German Luxury" standards), you can definitely go ahead.
Old 16th May 2022, 16:04   #32
BHPian

Re: Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by techspark View Post
I am not keen on the pre-owned route as it is my first luxury car, I also would need bank finance and I wanted it to be brand new but since q2 is sold out, I considered the demo car route.
No offense, but it is a pre-owned car. Worse in that sense that instead of single owner pre-owned car - this is driven by atleast several employeers who treated it as "not-my-own" car. I usually avoid demo cars and the thread we have on a Citroen today is a testament to that. Dealer is not budging because now he knows you are really interested in it.

Also not sure if you have driven or seen the Q2 before, it's an entry level car and feels pretty basic inside out. Honestly any big SUV from Skoda/VW will be a better deal than this but if you have your heart set on one of the big threes then it's gonna be tough to see otherwise.

Else try looking for A4s, they were retailing for low 40s sometime back and a lot of BHPians picked up.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 17:36   #33
BHPian

Voted No.

I have always recommended family and friends to avoid demo cars irrespective of the discount. Most people who drive these vehicles do not care about it, one example might be warming up the engine before exploring its capability. Those little details mean a lot for long term ownership. Its not a surprise that the selling dealer is telling OP that this was a show vehicle and was not driven much.

I would prefer a well cared single owner vehicle over a demo any day.
Old 17th May 2022, 18:26   #34
BHPian

I have voted no.

I can totally understand that your heart is set on this but you will need to give your head a chance to process the risk. Demo cars are almost always abused. The temptation of the price and 1st owner benefits can be absolutely clouding your mind but I ve had some candid conversations with drivers who work at Mercedes and even they strongly advised me to avoid demo cars as almost everyone who drive them including sales staff and customers simply take the cars all out without hesitation. If this were your 2nd car, it may be OK. But as your daily driver, you ll regret if it ends up in the service center even under warranty. Considering that the Q2 is CBU, it will be a long wait should something go wrong.

Owner driven cars are cared for much better and are a far far better bet. I started pretty much from the same point and finally pushed it up to the GLA. No regrets.
clementj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 10:33   #35
BHPian

Been on this boat, bought an entry premium car because prices were rising and that is all I could afford. I would NOT recommend it.
I was about to buy a demo car - X1, but thankfully better sense prevailed there! Drove the car 3 times and realised its fairly shoddy compared to brand new.
Demo car aside, entry premium cars are just not meant for our country. They are relatively cheap abroad, often cheaper than an Octavia and stuff. Its just the taxation that makes them expensive here. They really arent worth it. You risk losing interest in it within 2-3 years.
You will earn more and be able to afford a good premium car soon, if not, the experience with a high end skoda or vw will be as good, if not more worry-free!!
ronk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 16:56   #36

Hello team,
I am in a similar dilemma. I am being offered a 2022 Audi Q3 40TFSI Premium plus variant demo car with 2800 km on the odo by Audi verified plus South Mumbai. It also consists of 3+2 years comprehensive warranty till 2028. As I was going through the official review of the car I have realised that most of the members have called the car not VFM with respect to the features it provides. Now I face a huge dilemma wherein I have to choose either of the following options
A) The above said Q3 which I may be able to negotiate in mid 30 lacs. I like the car and had a TD, but I’m disappointed with lack of basic features which are provided by cars costing much lesser too. The charm of owning an Audi and the accomplishment of bringing the price down to such level is a motivating factor.
B) Book and wait for a Toyota Hyryder hybrid in similar cost bracket but offer host of new age features.
C) My initial budget was around 20L and would be shed mostly out of my savings, I can book a new gen Seltos and risk a 3* NCAP rating car or go for Grand Vitara or the likes offering all the latest features.

Background
I own a 10 year old Honda City IVTC which I love. The car has no problems per se but I would like to upgrade my drive as it has already completed a decade. We are a family of 4 with my wife, father and mother joining me. Mostly it’s city driving with 300-400 km per month in bumper to bumper traffic in south Mumbai.
Old 2nd October 2023, 23:11   #37
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a demo Audi Q3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumye View Post
Hello team,
A) The above said Q3 which I may be able to negotiate in mid 30 lacs. I like the car and had a TD, but I’m disappointed with lack of basic features which are provided by cars costing much lesser too.
What is the exact price they have offered you on road Mumbai? Has the car met with any accident or has it gone any repairs?
You can get a new q3 premium plus around 45L otr mumbai
techspark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 05:43   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Buy it.
Push them for a good price.
Audi Q2 is a rarity on our roads.
Its a good looking little crossover and miles above all the herds of Quasi SUVs out there from the Japanese and Korean gangs. The Q2 is a well engineered car and desirable because of its relative rarity.
If the car is indeed in good condition (low kms run is one thing but not everything), make sure they show you the diagnostics report, do a full 100% service with all fluids and filters changed, wheel alignment and balancing etc and ask them for the dealer warranty. As others have said get an absolute comprehensive zero dep, return to invoice policy covering all the possible scenarios including engine and gearbox and electricals and flood and rodent damage etc for peace of mind. Ask the dealer to do a full and proper restoration detailing job and remove all battle scars if any.
Then buy it. And enjoy it for the next 5 years.
Bottomline, it is a nice car.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 07:47   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by techspark View Post
What is the exact price they have offered you on road Mumbai? Has the car met with any accident or has it gone any repairs?
You can get a new q3 premium plus around 45L otr mumbai
So the sales executive quoted un officially 38 big ones as of now, at the same time promising to take up a case with his bosses if I were to put the token amount on cheque. About the accident, I have to check. Can you please refer to what all do I need to check once I’m out to buy a car like this. Sorry first purchase. 🙈
Old 3rd October 2023, 08:45   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So the sales executive quoted un officially 38 big ones as of now, at the same time promising to take up a case with his bosses if I were to put the token amount on cheque.
Considering majority of the Q2 were sold between 35-40 lac OTR inclusive of warranty and insurance I'd offer 30 and walk. Keep in mind the Q2 was a limited run CBU offering in India parts like mirrors, bumpers, headlights etc will not only be expensive but may also have really long delivery times in the unfortunate minor shunts.

Anything considerable over 30 lacs I'd recommend going back to a brand new top trim DCT Seltos/Creta. They have squeaky interior consoles etc but are both substantial upgrades from your Honda City and will have a similarly convenient long term ownership experience. If you really want to experience a German I'd recommend negotiating a Q3 for 45, or dipping a bit lower for the better loaded Tiguan.
Old 3rd October 2023, 09:13   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Anything considerable over 30 lacs I'd recommend going back to a brand new top trim DCT Seltos/Creta. They have squeaky interior consoles etc but are both substantial upgrades from your Honda City and will have a similarly convenient long term ownership experience. If you really want to experience a German I'd recommend negotiating a Q3 for 45, or dipping a bit lower for the better loaded Tiguan.

Sorry I didn’t understand. I’m talking about a Q3 here 2022 model premium plus. I intend to offer something around 33 and wait and watch especially with year end around the corner.
Old 3rd October 2023, 10:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I intend to offer something around 33 and wait and watch especially with year end around the corner.
If they give it for 33 its a good price but ask them everything if car has met with an accident, ask for a full inspection of the car, check for scratches on panel, check for color mismatch and take a longish test drive before you finalize.

It is almost 10 lakhs less than a new one but it is also sitting at the dealership for a year now and god knows what all would have happened in that one year so do a thorough check and take an informed decision
Old 3rd October 2023, 11:02   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello team,
I am in a similar dilemma. I am being offered a 2022 Audi Q3 40TFSI Premium plus variant demo car with 2800 km on the odo by Audi verified plus South Mumbai. It also consists of 3+2 years comprehensive warranty till 2028.

A) The above said Q3 which I may be able to negotiate in mid 30 lacs. I like the car and had a TD, but I’m disappointed with lack of basic features which are provided by cars costing much lesser too.
B) Book and wait for a Toyota Hyryder hybrid in similar cost bracket but offer host of new age features.
C) My initial budget was around 20L and would be shed mostly out of my savings, I can book a new gen Seltos and risk a 3* NCAP rating car or go for Grand Vitara or the likes offering all the latest features.

Background
I own a 10 year old Honda City IVTC which I love. The car has no problems per se but I would like to upgrade my drive as it has already completed a decade. Mostly it’s city driving with 300-400 km per month in bumper to bumper traffic in south Mumbai.
Personally, this is a fair deal if the car checks out clean. Being a demo, there is a chance of it being abused - cold starts, heavy acceleration, braking, checking handling and ride, etc. and picking up a few scratches here and there.
Check the service records for the vehicle - make sure nothing is amiss. Follow the TBHP Checklist to the T.

There are 3 big concerns about the Q3 for me, and 4 in your case:
1. It isn't E20 fuel compatible, which could mean issues with fuel pump / lines in long term
2. DSG would require a little care - routine oil changes, engaging handbrake before putting car into Park, keeping in neutral for longer signals, etc.; but is fairly reliable with no known breakdowns in India
3. Parts availabilty & service quality isn't great - at the end of the warranty period (should end 2027, not 2028 since it's a 2022 car with 5 year warranty) you would want to find an independent mechanic. Also being a German - it isn't going to be as reliable or low maintenance as the Honda City / Hyryder / Seltos etc. If this is the CBU - some parts will have a higher chance of giving niggles earlier on such as the A.C., ABS sensors, etc.
4. I'm generally not comfortable extending budget by dipping into savings to buy a German which will also have higher maintenance costs (insurance + service till 2027 years will be around 80k - 1L more than the City/annually for example on average).

Alternatives to consider:
1. Hyundai Tucson Petrol Signature : comfortable, fully loaded, well built, safe option at a budget. Won't be as solidly built, as fun to drive as the Q3 however.
2. VW/Skoda Kushaq/Taigun 1.0TSi AT : 5 star rated safety with the German dynamics & decent kit on offer.
3. Pre-owned previous gen Tucson - A 2020/21 model, within warranty and low running for around 18-20L could hit the sweet spot of budget, safety, features. It would feel dated quicker than the newer generation of cars - but with the 2020 refresh bringing in the newer features and newer interiors, it should still keep you happy for a fairly reasonable time. Parts would take some time to organize - but it's not like the Q3 / new Tucson would have them readily available either.

I wouldn't recommend other cars such as:
1. Creta/Seltos - Plan B if you're ok with the 3 star safety. If you're only driving in city traffic it shouldn't be a big issue - more important to wear a seatbelt in the city
2. Hyryder - Plan B - safety I wouldn't comment on but aside from the hybrid tech and perceived safety (since it's not been tested) I think the Creta is a better car
3. Preowned Tiguan / Kodiaq / X1 / GLA - these are going to feel dated with the influx of new generation launched / to be launched. For someone who will keep the car for 10 years, rather buy something fresher so you don't get bored as quickly. The GLA also has higher maintenance costs.

Last edited by lamborghini : 3rd October 2023 at 11:05.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 15:07   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry I didn’t understand. I’m talking about a Q3 here 2022 model premium plus. I intend to offer something around 33 and wait and watch especially with year end around the corner.
Sorry, I may have missed the 'Q3' because of the thread title and Shankar's last post before mine. If you like the car inside out see if you can close it for 35L inclusive of fresh insurance and 4/5 year extended warranty.
Old 5th October 2023, 14:00   #45
BHPian

Gave my car for pickup to the dealer and this is how their drivers drive. This was just a 10km drive, imagine the fate of cars which are driven for 1000s of kms by them. Be very cautious before buying a demo car will be my advise
Attached Thumbnails
Should I buy this 4200-km demo Audi Q2?-img_4515.jpeg  

techspark is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks