Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Mercedes-Class would you buy?
C200 @ Rs. 55 lakh 7 3.24%
C220d @ Rs. 56 lakh 54 25.00%
C300d @ Rs. 61 lakh 155 71.76%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2022, 12:49   #1
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes C-Class | C200 vs C220d vs C300d | Which engine would you choose?

Mercedes-Benz launched the 2022 C-Class (W206) sedan in India last month. The car is available in petrol and diesel versions.

Mercedes C-Class | C200 vs C220d vs C300d | Which engine would you choose?-mercedes-cclass-engine.jpg

Mercedes C-Class Pros

• Stunning looks & design . Matched to solid build quality too
• Premium quality interiors, supportive seats, filled with technology
• Useable rear seat, with better legroom than before
• Wide range of engines; powerful 265-hp C300d for enthusiasts, workhorse C220d and a C200 for sedate drivers
• Smooth & competent 9-speed AT gearbox
• Well-damped suspension offers mature ride quality
• Fun to drive (with the right engine)! Communicative chassis & excellent high-speed manners
• The C220d (especially) & C200k are reasonably fuel-efficient for the segment
• Equipment such as seat kinetics, latest-gen MBUX, panoramic sunroof, memory seats, electric steering adjustment…
• Top notch safety kit, runflat tyres, powerful brakes & a suite of electronic aids to keep you safe

Mercedes C-Class Cons

• C200 petrol’s 1.5L drivetrain feels just about adequate. Best for chauffeured use or for calm owners
• There is no bigger or more powerful petrol engine option (like the C300d)
• Rs 55 - 61 lakh ex-showroom pricing is stiff! We find it overpriced
• Boot space (already at a premium) is drastically impacted by the spare wheel on the floor
• Better as a 4-adult seater than 5
• BMW’s 330i is the more fun-to-drive petrol sedan
• IMHO, the faux leather seats just don't cut it at this price point (3-Series gives real leather). No ventilated seats either
• Styling is more of an evolution than a revolution. Also, looks very similar to other sedans in the Mercedes range
• While it’s not unusual for premium sedans, you need to be careful on bad bumps. This car with 4 people and luggage bottomed out a few times during our Mussoorie drive

The C-Class petrol comes in one version - C200. It has a 1.5L engine, which generates 201 BHP & 300 Nm. It comes with a 48v mild hybrid system. The mild hybrid part of this is an integrated starter generator that sits between the engine and the transmission and takes over the role of the alternator and starter. It can also provide a power / torque boost. When quick acceleration is required, the electric motor helps by providing up to 20 BHP and 200 Nm of torque.

The C-Class diesel comes in two variants - C220d and C300d. The C220d has a 2.0L engine that puts out 197 BHP & 440 Nm, while the C300d makes 261 BHP & 550 Nm. Like the petrol, both these variants come with a 48v mild hybrid system as well. All engines come paired to a 9-speed automatic transmission.

The additional torque makes the diesels more enjoyable to drive than the rather sedate petrol. The diesels will also be more efficient as well. The petrol, on the other hand, is cheaper to purchase and in certain cities (like Delhi) will be allowed to ply on the roads for 15 years compared to 10 years for the diesel.

So, if you were to buy the Mercedes C-Class, which engine option would you pick & why?

Read Team-BHP's full review of the 2022 Mercedes C-Class.

Last edited by GTO : 6th June 2022 at 13:47.
Aditya is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 13:51   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Mercedes C-Class | C200 vs C220d vs C300d | Which engine would you choose?

C300d AMG without a doubt . Its overpriced by 5 lakhs, but when I'm going to own a car for 10 years, that additional 50k / year isn't even going to be on my mind. Instead, I will care about the driving experience and the C300d delivers tons of it. Fast performance, competent gearbox (80% as nice as BMW's ZF 8-speed), excellent suspension balance between ride & handling, now acceptable rear seat legroom (no longer cramped) and absolutely dropdead gorgeous looks. It's the kind of car that you as well as your family will thoroughly enjoy.

Big fan. C300d all the way.

Last edited by GTO : 6th June 2022 at 13:52.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 14:42   #3
BHPian

Re: Mercedes C-Class | C200 vs C220d vs C300d | Which engine would you choose?

If I was in the market for one, I'd buy the C220d; the price is a little higher than I'd like it to be though.

The C300d is no doubt a lovely machine, but I definitely do not need 261 horses to idle in urban stop-and-go traffic on Kerala's chaotic roads; the C220d is more than adequate for my sedate driving style. And I don't even do that much driving these days anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
C300d AMG without a doubt . Its overpriced by 5 lakhs
You know GTO, I just had a pseudo deja-vu moment. I distinctly remember — back when the W205 got the 300d treatment, you said:

Quote:
Since when did 59 lakhs for a C-Class 4-cylinder become a low price point, even relatively! It is grossly overpriced and there are no 2 sides to it. The only C300d I'd ever buy is a pre-worshipped one. Heck, for 59 lakhs, I could buy a new Octavia vRS and a nice used 530d!
Now you say it's overpriced by just 5 lakhs. I guess that's what inflation does to us.

(I suppose back then you were implicitly comparing it to a new 530d, the prices for which is close to a crore now).
voldemort is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 14:46   #4
BHPian

I'd just go straight away for the C300d. A 1.5 Liter engine in a car this size (and more importantly weight and price) is simply not done, no matter how big a turbo is strapped on. The fuel economy of a diesel will also help its case, making for a fast yet efficient entry level luxury german saloon.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 15:22   #5
BHPian

Where's the "None of the above option" when you need it?

61L ex showroom is close to the OTR for a 330i MSport in BLR. I'd save some money and buy that 330i, or pay a little bit more to get the 530i (64.5L Ex showroom) any day of the week over the C300d.
d3mon is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 15:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

If I can spend 56 lakhs (showroom), I would gladly put another 6 lakhs and get the 300d. It will be future proof for next few years.

Would not buy c200 even if it was priced at 35 lakhs (showroom). A Slavia / Virtus stage 1 will produce equivalent or more power figures and will be faster too. A 1.5 litre engine is totally not done for that money.

In reality, I would happily buy a 330i.
sunikkat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 18:12   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
(I suppose back then you were implicitly comparing it to a new 530d
Haha! Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Believe it or not, I compared the '22 C300d to the '13 530d. It's not a match to the G30, but it is certainly a match to the F10. Better road manners (more agile), equal space (in fact, better rear legroom but not the width), comparable performance, more equipment. Side by side with the F10 530d, the C300d loses that 6-cylinder creaminess & snappy 8-speed ZF, yet it is a spectacular 4-cylinder. So enjoyable! Have become a big fan after spending a couple of days with the C300d.

This is the C300d kissing my 530d. Trust me, it's a very symbolic picture (that's Moderator Axe77's parking skills). In the real world too, she is so darn close:
Mercedes C-Class | C200 vs C220d vs C300d | Which engine would you choose?-20220522-07.27.32.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2022 at 10:53.
GTO is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 20:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Don’t see the other option?

My top choice will be the M340i followed by the C300d. My third choice will be the Lexus ES300h.

If someone is spending a big sum of 73Lakhs OTR for the C300d, the 78Lakhs OTR M340i is not very far.

The ballistic 6 cylinder B58 can run rings around the C-Class, quite literally.

For a family sedan, combined with the diesel efficiency and performance the C300d makes sense but not at the price at which it is being offered!

In fact, I spotted a white test-drive C-Class on Saturday and it’s a looker from the front, but not as much from the side and rear. Again this is where the 3er wins, with it’s long bonnet and stubby boot.

Maybe it’s time for BMW to offer the 6 cyl 330d in India at the same ex-showroom price as the 4 cyl C300d.

Although I don’t have even a % doubt about which car is going to outsell who, looking at the sales of the E-Class LWB and GLC.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 6th June 2022 at 20:32.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 07:08   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
C300d AMG without a doubt .
Among these 3 cars, 300d is fabulous. As an enthusiast self driver, I'd go for it eyes closed. 5L extra is a pittance for that lovely engine, AMG Line treatment & sportier interiors.

In my opinion & experience, 220d is the perfect chauffeured workhorse to ferry the babalog around & handle the stresses of the kitty party circuit

BMW has also thrown a curveball with the i4 pricing. If this car is restricted to city use with minimal highways, I would look very hard at the i4 too. In fact unless I'm mistaken, the i4 is ~74L OTR in KA (due to road tax exemption) while the C300d will be ~78L. That mad M340i is ~ 82L I believe.

Personally, I'd wait a few months while keeping the 300d on the shortlist.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 16:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

If it has to be a C Class, then it has to be the C300D for me.

6L for the added power & kit is fairly decently priced, and most self driven buyers wouldn't mind stretching the little extra for it.

That being said, if the commute is limited / fuel prices not a concern : the M340i is priced too close to the C300D, and with the better performance it would be the choice of many self driven enthusiasts - including me.

Where the C300D would score though is being a better all rounder : enough power and torque for the enthusiast driver, while the better interiors + better ride quality would also see votes from family members. The diesel engine also goes a long way in making this a good interstate cruiser : don't have to worry about fuel quality and availability of higher octane as much!

I wouldn't get into the other options as there is a dedicated thread for that.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 17:35   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The one comparison that everyone was wanting!

CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 17:46   #12
BHPian

I did not vote for any one of these options. Honestly speaking, the C-class is ridiculously overpriced for what it offers. No offense to C-class owners and Mercedes-Benz fans.

The C200 with that 1.5L petrol is a big JOKE and it costs 68 lakhs on road Bangalore. There is no way I'd spend 68 lakhs on a heavy car with small turbocharged engine . Even the 330i with a 255 hp 2.0L 4 cylinder engine costs 3 lakhs less. I'd prefer the latter anyday.

The C220d costs 70 lakhs on road Bangalore. Meanwhile the BMW 3er Gran Limousine 20d version is 1 lakh more than the C220d. I'd prefer the latter instead as I feel my money is worth more on the 3er.

The C300d although offers great performance and looks good, costs 76 lakhs on road Bangalore meanwhile the BMW M340i with 6 cylinder engine costs 82 lakhs. If I want an enthusiast oriented car, I'd rather spend 6 lakhs more and get the latter or else I'd save 10 lakhs and prefer the 330i for similar performance.

If I can't buy the 3er over the C due to some reasons, then for that money on the C, I'd prefer the options given below-

Base Lexus ES300H - It costs 4 lakhs more than the lame C200. It has a hybrid powertrain, similar features as the C, upper segment, better space and comfort and not to forget the bulletproof reliability.

Discounted Audi A6 - Audi does give crazy discounts many times as what noticed by other BHPians. If I'm fortunate to get discounts from a nearby Audi dealer, then I'd prefer the discounted A6 over the C anyday considering the fact that it's a segment above, offers way more features and that powerful 2.0L TFSI engine. Also it's dynamics aren't that bad afford to FWD standards.

I'd prefer the above mentioned options over any variant of the C class anyday. I simply have no attraction with the C class and other Mercedes cars (except AMGs, Maybachs, S-class and G-class) at all.
IREV is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 08:57   #13
BHPian

I too did not vote for similar reasons as mentioned by fellow TBHpians.

C Class is now obscenely overpriced for the car it offers now. I say this as a current C220d owner of the just gone-by generation W205.

And between the 3 engines the petrol sure is something many will hesitate to buy in India at least. 1.8 tonnes thereabouts on a 1.5 L super-turbo is for sure a recipe for short-life unlike what Mercs are known for.

Lastly, the comparison by others is very apt. 330i and GranTourismo have much better rear passenger space with more powerful (if not better) engines. My C220d with both adults in front is barely good for small children in the rear. Boot space sucks due to spare tire. Even the Toyota Altis has better rear space.

All the tech apart and the "baby S Class" branding, the car should not be more than 55 to 60 on road for any version. It is sheer unreasonable added cost for the brand.

C300d is a beautiful engine and great road manners (in fact all of them have great road manners and precision). However, at 78+ on-road in Bangalore, I would start looking at E Class LWB with oodles of space even if costs 10 more (or does it?). Not a fair comparison by any means but after all, a lot more car for merely 10 - 15% more.

Where is the "None of the Above" button like someone else asked?

Last edited by nareshtrao : 9th June 2022 at 09:08.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 10:33   #14
BHPian

I took a test drive of the new C220D and the 330i M sport. Here is where my dilemma is. The 220D has great interiors that oozes out quality but the driving experience was subpar. The diesel engine is really noisy and let's a lot of vibrations into the cabin and the steering is just not smooth. The back seat has good leg room but the under thigh support is non existent and the back seat recline angle is very bad which makes it really uncomfortable in the back. It gives me a feeling like I'm driving an old Toyota Innova.

The 330i was super smooth to drive and that engine makes a good sound when I rev it. The back seat under thigh support and the recline angle is so good that makes seating super comfortable in the back even though the leg room is not as much as the 220d. But the worse thing about BMW is the quality of plastics all over the place including the dash and cabin. It's just so bad and looks like a cheap shitbag. This is the biggest turn off for me. I want to seriously punch the guy who made this decision to include these cheap and ugly looking plastics all over the place instead of charging one lakh more and replacing it with the faux smooth non textured leather that mercedes has on their dash.

C220D has better infotainment screen theme which looks like it belongs to this Gen and ambient lighting is ok because they have used thin light strips and not the thicker multi color ones.

I will try the c200 petrol engine sometime and see if it's better than the diesel. I drive a diesel tuscon and I genuine felt it drives better, is smoother and far more comfortable than the c220d. I kinda feel I'm just paying money for the badge and nothing else at this point.
techbro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 10:44   #15
BHPian

If I was buying a car for myself in this segment (60-80 lakh Sedan/SUV) I would never consider any of the Mercedes-Benz cars with the only exception to this being the GLA 300 AMG (and even that's a maybe as a BMW X3 xDrive 30i is a better car and a performance air filter + remap would negate the 50hp power difference).

The W206 C-Class is the kind of car I would consider for my parents as they're chauffeur driven 85-90% of the time and for that I would pick the C220d, it's a worth upgrade over the C200 and it's puny 1.5L Engine (especially for a near 70 lakh OTR Mercedes) and being a 2.0 Diesel it offers adequate power and torque while keeping running costs low compared to a petrol.

And even this is a maybe as if I wanted a chauffeur driven car for my parents the top of the line Audi A4 Technology is about 8 lakh cheaper (OTR Bangalore) and that's before you consider the fat discounts on Audi has been giving out or maybe even the Toyota Camry Hybrid which is essentially a Lexus ES300h with more power and a 20 lakh discount plus it's more powerful than both the C220d and A4 Technology while also being the cheapest sedan here at 54.5 Lakh vs the A4 Technology and C220d which are 62.6 Lakh and 70.5 Lakh respectively.

If I was buying a car between 60-80 lakh for myself then my top 3 choices would be:
  1. BMW 330i Sport in Mediterranean Blue (60 Lakh)
  2. Mini Cooper JCW in Rebel Green (60 Lakh)
  3. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in Firecracker Red (76 Lakh)

I really wish they sold the Mini Cooper JCW Convertible in India.

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 9th June 2022 at 10:53.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks