View Poll Results: What should I do?
Keep it 91 75.21%
Sell it and buy something else 30 24.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2022, 00:39   #1
BHPian

Keep my Audi Q5 or upgrade it?

Hi Team! Hope all of you are doing great.

Today I come before you with an impediment. My beloved 2012 Q5 has neared its age in Delhi and now I am hit with an option. Keep it and bring it to Bangalore, Re register to KA, facelift the entire thing, get some nice aftermarket wheels, an ECU tune and drive it peacefully or sell it. Now before all that, The car has had its niggles, in 10 years the car has been driven just 55k kms and the biggest issue of the car came just yet because the car was parked on empty fuel for 4 months without starting, some problem with the high pressure pump popped up and boom! Audi replaced the whole Fuel Management System, took a lot of big bucks for it too. The car is running fine and they assured me it can be run another 5 years without any trouble. Keep it until the EV era hits or sell it and get something for some time?

Need your opinions Team!

Last edited by speedfreak77 : 5th September 2022 at 00:41.
speedfreak77 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 01:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Keep my Audi Q5 or upgrade it?

If your primary residence is in Karnataka and you will only be using it there, then it might be worth it, especially if you really really like the car. But if it is to be used in Delhi, I don't believe its worth the hassle of taking all the way to karnataka and re-registering it, especially considering how karnataka and kerala have one of the highest RTO taxes in India.

You might be better off just selling it to someone out of state and then buying a more recent used car so you can atleast still have 0 dep insurance.
Cresterk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 05:08   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I second Cresterk on this issue, with the highest RTO fees across the country, the cost to re-register your car in Karnataka would be quite a large amount, that said if you are planning to move on to EVs next, then selling the car now and buying a new car for the intervening period would also entail quite an outflow, It all depends on how much you love your current car and whether it would hold up without any major issues until the time you are ready to move on to an EV, the costs and benefits of replacing it would also be a factor.

Moreover, the emotional attachment and the bond you have with your car is something only you would be able to measure,

So I would recommend you do a cost-benefit analysis on this issue, if you are really willing to part with your current car.
bijims is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 07:20   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

You have spent good money getting it up to shape.
And sadly you’ll have to sell it because of the rules in NCR.
It is a foregone conclusion that the buyer wont respect what you have spent on the vehicle or the love you have lavished on it.
Now yes, you’ll definitely need to spend money in re registering it in KA but to my mind, it is still worth considering bringing it in to KA and using it nicely until the world forces all of us to convert to EV’s.
In fact, at that time, if there is a good solution available you can even consider a plug and play EV conversion.
I for one, definitely intend to explore this option at the appropriate juncture, in order to keep my beloved Maruti Gypsy on the road.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 07:54   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Keep my Audi Q5 or upgrade it?

If you plan to live in KA, then it might be worth re-registering the car there. What would it cost? The Q5 is a great car and your ride is clearly kept well. Has low running too. Any true upgrade (i.e. luxury car) will cost you 70+ lakhs new or 30 - 40 lakhs in the used market. Would suggest you spruce up the car and continue using it for a few more years. It's anyway at the bottom of its depreciation curve at the 10-year mark.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 08:55   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggest to bring it over to Bangalore, and keep it at least for now.

Good points by ShankarBalan there, and like GTO mentioned, the depreciation is already taken. You also gain by not having to spend mega bucks on a replacement. Plus, it's a car you know well. Get it over, re-register it (moot point because any delay in keeping it Delhi will mean an automatic de-registration)., and Enjoy the car to the full.
condor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 11:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
But if it is to be used in Delhi, I don't believe its worth the hassle of taking all the way to karnataka and re-registering it, especially considering how karnataka and kerala have one of the highest RTO taxes in India.
The 10 and 15 year old rule is applicable to a non NCR car too. So that's out of question totally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak77 View Post
The car is running fine and they assured me it can be run another 5 years without any trouble. Keep it until the EV era hits or sell it and get something for some time?
VAG 2.0 TDI is a gem of an engine. And we're not going to get that ever again. If the car has been maintained well and also undergone preventive maintenance, I don't see any reason why it won't serve you well.

I own an almost 2 lakhs run Laura TDI which I intend to keep it as long as I legally can. After having spend good money on that(suspension, tyres, battery, brake rotors, pads, few sensors etc) in last 1 year or so, she's back to her singing best. It still drives nice and tight and almost like how it was when new, back in 2011. Why do I need a strong hybrid or EV when i've this. One just can't beat the TDI frugality.
Attached Thumbnails
Keep my Audi Q5 or upgrade it?-20220905_111228.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 5th September 2022 at 11:20.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 11:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
If your primary residence is in Karnataka and you will only be using it there, then it might be worth it, especially if you really really like the car. But if it is to be used in Delhi, I don't believe its worth the hassle of taking all the way to karnataka and re-registering it, especially considering how karnataka and kerala have one of the highest RTO taxes in India.
Yes, I forgot to mention that. I have shifted my business to Bangalore so this is where I will he living 11 months a year. The RTO tax is way too much than I thought it to be but again, The car is priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Moreover, the emotional attachment and the bond you have with your car is something only you would be able to measure,

So I would recommend you do a cost-benefit analysis on this issue, if you are really willing to part with your current car.
I will be using it in Bangalore primarily. The tax here is register the car is outrageous but again, I really have an emotional bond with that car. Before the EV era hits, I think its better to keep her and drive her with a big smile rather than buying something which I would not quite like over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
And sadly you’ll have to sell it because of the rules in NCR.
It is a foregone conclusion that the buyer wont respect what you have spent on the vehicle or the love you have lavished on it.
Now yes, you’ll definitely need to spend money in re registering it in KA but to my mind, it is still worth considering bringing it in to KA and using it nicely until the world forces all of us to convert to EV’s.
In fact, at that time, if there is a good solution available you can even consider a plug and play EV conversion.
Yes, I really don’t want to part ways with that car. I have some really nice mods planned up for it, Its better to keep it and drive until the EV era hits where I can get something good. I don’t want to sell it, spend money in buying something again and then let it depreciate when the EV era hits and sell it again.

The plug and play conversion is very far from perfection, another 10 years per say.

I have always fantasised about a Maruti Gypsy, Would really love to see yours in the flesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you plan to live in KA, then it might be worth re-registering the car there. What would it cost? The Q5 is a great car and your ride is clearly kept well. Has low running too. Any true upgrade (i.e. luxury car) will cost you 70+ lakhs new or 30 - 40 lakhs in the used market. Would suggest you spruce up the car and continue using it for a few more years. It's anyway at the bottom of its depreciation curve at the 10-year mark.
Hi GTO, I intend to use it in Bangalore if I bring it here. The re-registering part is quite tricky because I asked a guy and he told me because the car is 10 years old, the car will get re registered under 1 Lakh. If it gets registered under that, that will be an amazing deal. However, I know its going to cost more and I am already ready for that.

I was looking at the new GLE but 1cr on road for a car which I will barely use for 6-7 years and convert into an EV does not make sense to me. Also keeping in mind the depreciation.

Yes, I am taking the call to keep it and do some mods which I always intended to do on it. It will all come on the Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Good points by ShankarBalan there, and like GTO mentioned, the depreciation is already taken. You also gain by not having to spend mega bucks on a replacement. Plus, it's a car you know well. Get it over, re-register it (moot point because any delay in keeping it Delhi will mean an automatic de-registration)., and Enjoy the car to the full.
I am taking the call after seeing everyone’s opinions. She is coming home. She will get new makeup and new shoes. She will be driven in all her glory on the streets of Bangalore. She and I cannot part ways.

Sounds like a true love story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
VAG 2.0 TDI is a gem of an engine. And we're not going to get that ever again. If the car has been maintained well and also undergone preventive maintenance, I don't see any reason why it won't serve you well.

I own an almost 2 lakhs run Laura TDI which I intend to keep it as long as I legally can. After having spend good money on that(suspension, tyres, battery, brake rotors, pads, few sensors etc) in last 1 year or so, she's back to her singing best. It still drives nice and tight and almost like how it was when new, back in 2011. Why do I need a strong hybrid or EV when i've this. One just can't beat the TDI frugality.
I used to own the Laura 2.0 TDI. 5 speed manual and that engine was just a charm. Sadly I had to part ways with her in 2014 because the car got into a massive accident. Always loved that car.

The TDI engines are just something else and I really like how the way my car drives. I really do not want to let go of it. I will obviously like to add a few beautiful mods to it. I think I should re register it and drive it until the EV era hits in which case the replacement will always be another Audi. Probably the E-tron?

Last edited by Aditya : 5th September 2022 at 18:42. Reason: Back to back posts merged; quoted text trimmed
speedfreak77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 10:59   #9
BHPian

Bringing it to KA and re-registering is not a big deal. As a Q5 owner (though 2.0TFSI), I can vouch these are reliable. If you enjoy driving this car, would recommend keeping it. These last for couple of lakhs of kms easily.

A similar upgrade will be around 80L plus in KA and of course it will have many more features and tech. Now you need to see how much importance you attach to those and feel if it is worth that kind of money or not keeping in mind your low mileage.
Personally, I don't think it is worth the upgrade and intend to keep my Q5 for more time.
OffRoadFun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 11:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

From what I’ve read on the global Audi forums, they drive seamless for lakhs of KM’s. Given the low running of your Q5, it surely makes sense to get that Bangalore.

On a different note, Shankar.Balan had given a reference of an RTO agent person who can help with the process. I think his number is on the ‘Need reliable RTO agent’ thread for Bangalore. I had used his services for an ownership transfer and he had helped immensely.

Aside, it’s far more peace of mind to be driving your tried and tested Q5 on the congested Bangalore roads. The autos and 2W and BMTC Buses won’t panic you driving your Q5 as much as a new car would.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 12:24   #11
BHPian

Voted to keep it. Ample reason mentioned above.
So as far as I understand the re registration rules as told to me by an RTO officer when I registered my rapid from Karnataka to Goa is that, I have one year till re-registration has to be done in my new residential state. So considering that you can wait out a year before you register. The cost should come down a little
Laidbackakki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 21:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Voted to keep it. The VAG TDI engines are gem with so much of mod potential. Plus your car has hardly run 50k kms. And as others mentioned to get a worthy replacement you need to spend a lot.
BTW, is yours 2.0 TDI or 3.0 TDI?
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 23:11   #13
BHPian

Voted for keep it, enjoy it while you can.

I also don't want to part ways with my DL registered altis 2009 petrol and exploring options to keep it with me for as long as I can. I can get it transferred to RJ but unable to find how much will I have to shell out. If any member has done interstate transfer from DL to RJ please do let me know if it makes sense to do so.

Regards
Rapidholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 07:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidholic View Post
Voted for keep it, enjoy it while you can.

I also don't want to part ways with my DL registered altis 2009 petrol and exploring options to keep it with me for as long as I can. I can get it transferred to RJ but unable to find how much will I have to shell out. If any member has done interstate transfer from DL to RJ please do let me know if it makes sense to do so.

Regards
There is a huge thread on "moving a car between states" where the procedure is outlined. The road tax will be some % of the original tax for your car, and the procedure is a bit long. So read the thread carefully.

My posts in the thread describe the process from TN - KA in detail having done it myself, and that is the same procedure across India with about the only variation going to be which RTO counter or any other minor local rules some RTO might have.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 10:54   #15
BHPian

I voted to Keep it.
As major expenses are done, you know the car well, there is no reason to sell it. you will pay road tax on 45% of the original invoice value(10-11 year bracket) in Bangalore. Which shall come around 3.6 L(44L(original invoice)x0.45(taxable)x0.18(road tax)).
You would pay that much roadtax on a Brezza here. So IMO keep it.
abtyagi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks