Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is the best luxury entry level SUV?
BMW X1 previous gen 32 22.38%
Audi Q3 previous gen 21 14.69%
Mercedes GLA previous gen 13 9.09%
New Car in the budget 77 53.85%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2023, 20:22   #46
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned BMW X1, Audi Q3, Mercedes GLA or a new car? Budget of 30 lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Well here, the most important point is that you are coming from a no nonsense bullet proof happy and satisfied ownership experience, brand, and model - Honda Civic. Now in India, only 5 brands (non-premium) can give you the same experience. In no particular order it is HONDA, TOYOTA, MARUTI, HYUNDAI, KIA. Apart from these all the other brands are always a hit or miss.

Now, coming to your requirements, here is what I would say
1. Tucson ticks all your boxes. While the best choice in Tucson is the diesel, based in your usage (requirements), the petrol Tucson will 100% satisfy you. In fact, no diesel car is an option for you since you drive less.
2. I recently got my Tucson after getting rid of lemon Harrier. Tucson really surprised me in many areas. I had a hellish time with Tata. While Mahindra is definitely better than Tata, it is still a hit or miss.
3. Tiguan's ride is too hard in general as well as for your requirement. In fact, it is best enjoyed out on the highways than in the city.
4. C5 is a no go. Citroen is neither committed to India nor do they understand the Indian market. C5 and C3 are examples of how poor they understand India.
5. Meridian and Kodiaq are too big for your requirement, while Compass is too small. Again Jeeps ASS experience and reliability is worse than even Tata, M&M.
6. For the pre-owned route, in terms of reliability, BMW and Volvo tops the list. However, neither X1 nor the XC40 will give you the true premium experience. Additionally both GLA and Q3 will be too cramped at the rear. If you can extend your budget (for the pre-owned), you should look at the XC60, X3, Q5 in the same order. However, please note that premium brands command a premium for maintenance also. In fact, as the car ages, the cost "premiumness" increases.

PS - Regarding the snob value of 38L for a Hyundai, which car is worth its cost today? Today a Maruti costs 23L and Mahindra costs 31L. The Hycross costs 36L. Since the Tucson is a CKD, it will obviously command that extra cost and it shows in the quality, fit and finish and premiumness inside-out. Having said that, if it is the value that you are looking at, then nothing can beat Tata & Mahindra. With no petrol option in Harrier, your only choice will be the XUV700 petrol automatic which has all the bells and whistles except for ventilated seats. The XUV700 still is not a bad choice either.
Tucson is top in my list, due to the reasons quoted by you. I am not into snob value at all. The primary reason for looking at Pre-owned luxury segment was to lay hands on all the comforts and features of luxury segment, at a lower cost.
Feature wise, Tucson beats quite a lot of them, apart from providing a hassle free ownership experience for being a Hyundai.I would pay about 8-10 lacs more on a new Tucson compared to a pre-owned X1, Q3 etc. Over a period of 10-15 years, would that difference recover or not, is anybody’s guess. I am sure we have experience and mind on this forum, that can throw some good light on these aspects.

XUV700 is back in contention as suggested by few members. I would take a ride on Compass again to see if anything ticks. There, aftersales is either a big hit or a big miss. They also seem to develop niggles and issues within some time, which isn’t to my liking either.

Last edited by Highflyer : 7th March 2023 at 20:24.
Highflyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 20:40   #47
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned BMW X1, Audi Q3, Mercedes GLA or a new car? Budget of 30 lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
I would take a ride on Compass again to see if anything ticks. There, aftersales is either a big hit or a big miss. They also seem to develop niggles and issues within some time, which isn’t to my liking either.
Even reliability is a big miss. Worse than a Tata. Why? - Harrier sells 10x times of Compass. But we still come across as much bad experience with Compass as with Harrier. In fact, I don't recommend Compass at all. In that case, 700 is a better choice than Compass.
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 23:19   #48
BHPian

Since you chose a pre-owned car earlier and have decided to go again for a pre-owned, I won't preach much about that path.

I drive a 12 year old petrol (pre-owned) Audi Q5 and have done multiple day trips (500km+), long drives (BLR-GOA Dec 22), BLR-Karwar) etc. and now planning a cross country trip.
Since you will be driving mostly in city, it works out even better for you.

I would suggest you go for a pre-owned X3/Q5/Q3/X1, 5+ years is no big deal and it will still meet almost all your criterion within 25L. You can also try buying from NCR region and pay tax in TS (inevitable). Just keep a few lakhs (3L may be), in case of bad luck and you will still be doing fine, enjoying the ride. If possible, get a TS registered one.

German machines if maintained properly, decently reliable. They are neither designed nor expected to be like Japanese ones which are never that fun to drive.
Goodluck.

Olx has listings of various X3/Q5 etc in that range:
For example:
https://www.olx.in/item/bmw-x3-xdriv...iid-1720175452

Goodluck

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 7th March 2023 at 23:26.
OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 17:30   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post

I would suggest you go for a pre-owned X3/Q5/Q3/X1, 5+ years is no big deal and it will still meet almost all your criterion within 25L. You can also try buying from NCR region and pay tax in TS (inevitable). Just keep a few lakhs (3L may be), in case of bad luck and you will still be doing fine, enjoying the ride. If possible, get a TS registered one.

German machines if maintained properly, decently reliable. They are neither designed nor expected to be like Japanese ones which are never that fun to drive.
Goodluck.

Olx has listings of various X3/Q5 etc in that range:
For example:
https://www.olx.in/item/bmw-x3-xdriv...iid-1720175452

Goodluck
I have had a look on Olx as well as Spinny Max and have come across quite a few listings that look promising. Some of those listed with 30-40 K on the odo had driver side seat looking quite worn out. The worn out look didn’t match with the quoted readings on the odo.

I plan to go ahead with the purchase after June, that’s the reason, I have kept the poll open for 3 months.

There is fair amount of clarity already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-go View Post
My take would be Jeep Compass; you get a new car in your budget. As for after-sales support that is your concern, you may check as I guess things are improving both on product side and support side. Also, Compass is a nice car to drive that fits well into your criteria - easy ingress/egress, great suspension (on stiffer side), features, and 4x4. The group's portfolio now consists of both Citroen and Jeep brands.
Just went over the thread on Compass. There are quite a few owners, who have faced quite a lot of issues. It shook the idea of having a re look at Compass. After, rock solid experience with Civic, I wouldn’t want to go through horror stories of Compass owners.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th March 2023 at 22:18. Reason: back to back posts
Old 10th March 2023, 19:05   #50
BHPian

Quote:
However, neither X1 nor the XC40 will give you the true premium experience. Additionally both GLA and Q3 will be too cramped at the rear. If you can extend your budget (for the pre-owned), you should look at the XC60, X3, Q5 in the same order. However, please note that premium brands command a premium for maintenance also. In fact, as the car ages, the cost "premiumness" increases.

PS - Regarding the snob value of 38L for a Hyundai, which car is worth its cost today? Today a Maruti costs 23L and Mahindra costs 31L. The Hycross costs 36L. Since the Tucson is a CKD, it will obviously command that extra cost and it shows in the quality, fit and finish and premiumness inside-out. Having said that, if it is the value that you are looking at, then nothing can beat Tata & Mahindra. With no petrol option in Harrier, your only choice will be the XUV700 petrol automatic which has all the bells and whistles except for ventilated seats. The XUV700 still is not a bad choice either.
Size wise, I want to go one size small and a four seater would meet my requirements. It would also work for the within city driving spaces, that are a little constrained.

XUV700 is indeed loaded to the gills, but I found quite a few bad stories on the owners thread. Niggles and small issues that aren’t yet completely taken care of. Hassle free experience of ownership is an important criteria which isn’t reflected in the cost directly though.

The poll is split with maximum numbers recommending to go for a new car. X1 and Q3 are neck to neck in used segment. GLA is almost out of the race.

A new one like Tucson will put me back by about 38 Lacs in Hyderabad. X1 our A3 can be up and running at <30 lacs (on road).

XUV petrol is 27.5 lacs on road. But, it would go for good 15 years while other ones would be 10-12 years based on what pre-owned, I can manage to get.

In next decade or so, the automotive market is likely to undergo, a complete transformation and resale value may not remain a factor at all.

That’s a wide and confusing scenario to take a decision. I am quite sure there are quite a lot of buyers out there with similar dilemma, may not be for exact price point or models, but still confused a little.

Keep the polls going and comments flowing friends.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th March 2023 at 22:17. Reason: back to back posts
Old 10th March 2023, 19:29   #51
BHPian

Quote:
XUV700 is indeed loaded to the gills, but I found quite a few bad stories on the owners thread. Niggles and small issues that aren’t yet completely taken care of. Hassle free experience of ownership is an important criteria that isn’t reflected in the cost directly though.
Then Tucson petrol is your only choice.

Quote:
The poll is split with maximum numbers recommending to go for a new car. X1 and Q3 are neck to neck in used segment. GLA is almost out of the race.
=================
That’s a wide and confusing scenario to take a decision. I am quite sure there are quite a lot of buyers out there with a similar dilemma, may not be for exact price point or models, but still confused a little.

Keep the polls going and comments flowing friends.
The industry will keep changing and so will be the cars and models. New brands will keep coming. Legacy brands will undergo significant transformation. There is no better time to buy a car than NOW. Of course, ONLY if you have a need.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th March 2023 at 22:19. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 08:06   #52
BHPian

Quote:

A new one like Tucson will put me back by about 38 Lacs in Hyderabad. X1 our A3 can be up and running at <30 lacs (on road).

XUV petrol is 27.5 lacs on road. But, it would go for good 15 years while other ones would be 10-12 years based on what pre-owned, I can manage to get.

In next decade or so, the automotive market is likely to undergo, a complete transformation and resale value may not remain a factor at all.
I have a black Civic which I bought way back in April 2008. It still drives like a dream. Unfortunately it completes the 15yr NCR rule next month so I started looking for a new car. I initially went for the new Germans but since I wanted a diesel, neither X1 or the GLA satisfied me. I went upto GLB/GLC and X3 but still wasn't happy with the features.
Finally after all I booked a Hyundai Tuscon Diesel yesterday. I am expecting delivery in 10 days.
If you really think in 5-10 yrs features like 360 camera and ADAS may become common in every car just like Civic brought the AT revolution. So these features would be a must have when you will go for a resale value of a car in the future.
All in all I would suggest a new car or the XC40 for sure.
All the best
Abhinav6683 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 11:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav6683 View Post
Finally after all I booked a Hyundai Tuscon Diesel yesterday. I am expecting delivery in 10 days.
If you really think in 5-10 yrs features like 360 camera and ADAS may become common in every car just like Civic brought the AT revolution. So these features would be a must have when you will go for a resale value of a car in the future.
All in all I would suggest a new car or the XC40 for sure.
All the best
Did you consider XUV700? It is in a different segment, but recommended by quite a few FMs.
Tucson is on top of my list if I go for a new set of wheels. Due to my limited driving, petrol variant is likely to be my choice. Petrol engine isn’t in the same league as the diesel, but head isn’t allowing heart to take over the decision making. Tucson drive, fit and finish was stellar and Hyundai ASS would be much better then most other in this class.

Features wise Tucson does beat all pre-owned luxury entry level cars and likely to remain relevant for decade plus, which is my period of ownership.
Old 13th March 2023, 11:23   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Did you consider XUV700? It is in a different segment, but recommended by quite a few FMs.
Tucson is on top of my list if I go for a new set of wheels. Due to my limited driving, petrol variant is likely to be my choice. Petrol engine isn’t in the same league as the diesel, but head isn’t allowing heart to take over the decision making. Tucson drive, fit and finish was stellar and Hyundai ASS would be much better then most other in this class.

Features wise Tucson does beat all pre-owned luxury entry level cars and likely to remain relevant for decade plus, which is my period of ownership.
I do have the XUV700 diesel AX7L in the family. My brother bought it, which he booked in 2021 and took delivery in Jan this year.
XUV 700 is the child which came out of the Mahindra - Ford short marriage. So definitely it's a beautiful feature packed car and if it would have been a Ford, I would have bought another one for myself.
If you have no issues with the waiting game then the Honda HRV or something is releasing this year end. Honda's iVtec is still unbeatable when it comes to performance in a Petrol engine.
Sometimes I wish it was the old days like when I bought a car in 2006 I had only two options - The first Gen Verna or the First Gen Ford Fiesta. I went for the Ford. Then in 2007 it was 3 options - Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla or Octavia RS. I went for the Civic.
Nowadays you have too many options

It will all finally go down to what your heart says when u sit behind that steering wheel

Last edited by Abhinav6683 : 13th March 2023 at 11:24.
Abhinav6683 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 11:48   #55
BHPian

Quote:
If you have no issues with the waiting game then the Honda HRV or something is releasing this year end. Honda's iVtec is still unbeatable when it comes to performance in a Petrol engine.
Sometimes I wish it was the old days like when I bought a car in 2006 I had only two options - The first Gen Verna or the First Gen Ford Fiesta. I went for the Ford. Then in 2007 it was 3 options - Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla or Octavia RS. I went for the Civic.
Nowadays you have too many options

It will all finally go down to what your heart says when u sit behind that steering wheel
Actually, I too have been thinking of the impending Honda launch to rival Creta. But, expecting a yet to be launched vehicle to beat the existing ones, can go wrong too. Current gen Civic faced a lot of teething issues in India. It wasn’t anywhere close to the previous gen Civic.

Multitude of choices do make it difficult, but it also permits a purchase, that would be closest to one’s requirements.

Tucson does tick quite a few (in fact most) boxes. I was hoping to lay my hands on something, few lacs cheaper with a little reduction in aspirational features. That is where pre-owned one’s come into play.

I have to do the buy later this year, hence the poll is open and ideas flowing in. Let’s see, what enters the garage finally.

Last edited by Highflyer : 13th March 2023 at 11:52.
Old 13th March 2023, 15:36   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Tucson does tick quite a few (in fact most) boxes. I was hoping to lay my hands on something, few lacs cheaper with a little reduction in aspirational features. That is where pre-owned one’s come into play.
Ya then I think the Innova Hybrid or XUV 700 petrol maybe well suited for you.

The Germans have increased the prices considerably in last 2 yrs. So anything you buy older than that would probably be at a extremely good profit to the seller. Might also give you a bargaining room but will surely cost a lot in maintaining also.
Abhinav6683 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 16:59   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Ya then I think the Innova Hybrid or XUV 700 petrol maybe well suited for you.

The Germans have increased the prices considerably in last 2 yrs. So anything you buy older than that would probably be at a extremely good profit to the seller. Might also give you a bargaining room but will surely cost a lot in maintaining also.
Innova is too big for me.
I am good with a 5 seater that gives superior ride comfort, nimble to ride within the city and has feel good bells and whistles.

Pre owned German’s would meet ride comfort part. Tucson and XUV700 would fit in with features part too. XUV isn’t refined enough though.
Old 13th March 2023, 18:19   #58
BHPian

Quote:
PS - Regarding the snob value of 38L for a Hyundai, which car is worth its cost today? Today a Maruti costs 23L and Mahindra costs 31L. The Hycross costs 36L.
A serious query, may be I am missing something. Which Maruti/Nexa model costs 23L OTR? I actually checked on a few sites but even the most expensive Maruti was still under 20L.
Old 13th March 2023, 21:06   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
A serious query, may be I am missing something. Which Maruti/Nexa model costs 23L OTR? I actually checked on a few sites but even the most expensive Maruti was still under 20L.
What is the cost of Grand Vitara Strong Hybrid Alpha Plus Single Tone and Dual Tone variants?
Old 13th March 2023, 21:43   #60
BHPian

Quote:
What is the cost of Grand Vitara Strong Hybrid Alpha Plus Single Tone and Dual Tone variants?
OK. Got it.

It's 24L OTR in KA for a 91HP/122Nm motor!

Wow! Cars have really become expensive!
OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks