Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2023, 22:20   #16
BHPian

Re: What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am also tilting towards Option 1. But, I will most definitely take a test drive of the Macan S and GTS and take my final decision.
I traded my 16 months old 2022 X3 30i that had 24800 miles with a 2022 X3 M40i just 52 days back and I've already put 6120 miles on it. I'm also new to the forum, more about it here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intro...o-chennai.html (Vanakkam from Colorado/Chennai) .Planning to pen down my ownership review soon.

The Macan GTS does get expensive with options, but I believe its the best handling SUV one can get in the market today. Looking forward to your test-drive opinions.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th September 2023 at 02:56. Reason: Quote trimmed.
athray9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 00:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athray9 View Post
I traded my 16 months old 2022 X3 30i that had 24800 miles with a 2022 X3 M40i just 52 days back and I've already put 6120 miles on it. I'm also new to the forum, more about it here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intro...o-chennai.html (Vanakkam from Colorado/Chennai) .Planning to pen down my ownership review soon.
Nice. I checked out your intro post, you seem to be little like me. I too find opportunities to hit the road. All my miles clocked are pleasure miles as I work 100% from home.

Assuming you live in Denver, I heard its a great place and great outdoors just like Washington. I love being in outdoors- Hiking, Biking and just driving around to enjoy the spectacular scenery that Washington has to offer.

Look forward to your ownership experience of your X3M40i amongst some of your Colorado locales.

Please do dedicate a post of comparing the 30i vs. M40i. It should give a nice perspective of how both these vehicles differ since you owned both and have driven good amount of miles.

I test drove the 30i and then X3M40i and immediately bought the X3M40i as it was simply in a different league compared to the 30i.

Here is my ownership thread, if you haven’t seen it already :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4990969

Quote:
The Macan GTS does get expensive with options, but I believe its the best handling SUV one can get in the market today. Looking forward to your test-drive opinions.
Next couple of weekends are busy with some travel so will see how soon I can test drive both these variants ( S and GTS).

I will also ensure I go to the dealership in my BMW so I get an immediate feel of BMW vs. Porsche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
My two cents as an owner of The Porsche Cayenne Exclusive GTS and Supra MK 5, do not test drive the Macan S / GTS if the specs on the car and your finances aren’t convincing enough.
I believe you have a thread on your Cayenne GTS. I will check it out in detail soon.

I do love feedback from people who owned the vehicles rather than just theoretical feedbacks as there is no substitute for real life feedbacks.

Quote:
If you taste the Porsche blood, you’re not going back to the BMW. Period!
Haha! I hear this a lot.

I know you drive a B58 as well but, I am curious to know someone who owns the Supra and Cayenne to highlight the differences in performance, handling and overall feel between both brands/vehicles?

Btw, I’m also worried of the same. If I test drive the Porsche, it should not force me to buy it.

Quote:
Don’t get a barebone Macan (Standard) nor any Standard variant Porsche for that matter. Not worth it nor retains a good resale value compared to an S or a GTS.
Agreed.

P.S: Btw, I am in Dubai for a couple of days around 1st week of December. If you are available, would love to catch up.

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th September 2023 at 00:56.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 01:54   #18
BHPian

Very interesting dilemma to have.

My suggestion would be to go for Macan S or even stretch to the GTS if it's financially viable to you in the next 5 years after you do all the maths thoroughly, because your monthly outflow will increase but that will remain fixed but maybe with increments in your salary or other income sources what might pinch now may not from next year or so.

As I believe in YOLO (you-only-live-once) formula but do keep your financial safety net strongly tied.

If Macan S is not possible then my suggestion would be stick to your X3M40i and amp it up to keep you satisfied till the next 2 years and who knows after 2 years you might reach a pedestal to jump in for Ferry's or Lambo's.

Last edited by Axe77 : 11th September 2023 at 05:19. Reason: Formatting and language edits.
GT007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 09:57   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Nice. I checked out your intro post, you seem to be little like me. I too find opportunities to hit the road. All my miles clocked are pleasure miles as I work 100% from home.

Assuming you live in Denver, I heard its a great place and great outdoors just like Washington. I love being in outdoors- Hiking, Biking and just driving around to enjoy the spectacular scenery that Washington has to offer.

Look forward to your ownership experience of your X3M40i amongst some of your Colorado locales.
I've been following your X3 M40i and the Model 3 Performance threads since its inception and I am a big fan of your writing, content and even the travelogues.

I travel almost every weekend and 50% of them are using my car or my roommate's car which is a 430i Gran Coupé xDrive. Colorado is a beautiful place in terms of scenery and outdoor activities both in summer and winter. I want to dedicate an entire post to Colorado and especially Rocky Mountains.

Quote:
Please do dedicate a post of comparing the 30i vs. M40i. It should give a nice perspective of how both these vehicles differ since you owned both and have driven good amount of miles.

I test drove the 30i and then X3M40i and immediately bought the X3M40i as it was simply in a different league compared to the 30i.
I want to cover the comparison between the X3 30i and the X3 M40i as a part of my X3 M40i ownership review. I also want explain more about the BMW sedan vs SUV comparison since I almost drive the 430i and my X3 daily. But one thing I can say is the difference between a similar specced X3 30i and an X3 M40i is about $12K in the US, but what you get for that $12K is worth much more than that.

Quote:
Next couple of weekends are busy with some travel so will see how soon I can test drive both these variants ( S and GTS).

I will also ensure I go to the dealership in my BMW so I get an immediate feel of BMW vs. Porsche.
I would love to know about the difference since the Macan S/GTS and Stelvio Quadrifoglio are the closest cars that can get to X3 M40i in terms of performance and handling I believe.
athray9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 23:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I believe you have a thread on your Cayenne GTS. I will check it out in detail soon.

I know you drive a B58 as well but, I am curious to know someone who owns the Supra and Cayenne to highlight the differences in performance, handling and overall feel between both brands/vehicles?

Btw, I’m also worried of the same. If I test drive the Porsche, it should not force me to buy it.

P.S: Btw, I am in Dubai for a couple of days around 1st week of December. If you are available, would love to catch up.

I do have an ownership review on the Cayenne. Feel free to have a read. I also come from the background of riding Superbikes as well . You can go through my Buddh International Circuit thread on my Ex-Ducati 959 as well and thus I clearly know what you’re looking for. Trust me, stretch if you have to but get a Porsche. Take a five year lease. Should ease up your monthly equation.

Buy Nice
or
Buy Twice

Cayenne and Supra cannot be compared. Supra literally has zero turbo lag, powerful brakes and with the short wheelbase, goes around corners effortlessly but taking no points away from the Cayenne being an SUV still feels like a hot hatch around corners. Minimal body roll. I keep asking myself : How has Porsche pulled this off!”

Only downside is it’s 2.1 Ton weight because of which the brakes feel a little weak but certainly do the job; don’t get me wrong.

I’m in Dubai during the first week of December. We can surely catchup. I’ll DM you my contact.

Cheers
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 03:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Come January 2024, our BMW X3M40i lease comes to an end and I have 4-months to take a decision on “ Which Next SAV”.

1. 2024 BMW X3M Competition
2. 2023 Porsche Macan
3. 2023 Porsche Macan S (3.0 Liter, 6 Cylinder with their famed PDK gearbox and 375 HP)

Cayenne is a great advice and actually a no-brainer as a proper upgrade but, I ‘m not there yet (They cost $130K upwards).

Downpayments are usually mandatory and ranges from $2000-$7500. Getting a zero downpayment deals are rare.

Many people don’t know you can negotiate the residual value (value at end of lease) when signing the contract.
There are a few predicaments that I can see.

1) You got a sweet deal on your BMW X3 which makes it hard to compete against any lease deals available post Covid. The most economical decision here is to buy it back from your lease when it ends paying cash. I did it with my car recently.

2) Porsche Macan is generally of higher build quality than an X3, but since you already have the X3 M40i you will have to go all the way up to GTS to beat that, performance wise. That will cost over $100k with a few options. X3 M40i will be mid 60s with decent options. Big difference.

Leasing in the US is quite simple actually.

The only thing you have to do is negotiate a selling price (assuming no trade-ins etc.), easier said than done, but rest everything is just maths.
  • Typically the residual (i.e. depreciation) and the money factor (i.e. interest rate) are fixed and non-negotiable (the money factor can change due to creditworthiness). They are both set by manufacturer financial services or the bank that underwrites the lease. What you negotiate is the selling price and the trade-in value if you have one.

• Like you correctly pointed out never pay a down payment for a lease. I have leased 6 cars in the last 10 years and never paid a down payment, not even taxes or fees (since interest rates were so low plus you lose your deposit if you lose the car (total or stolen)). The dealer doesn't care whether you pay any down payment or not. Its up to you based on your cash flows, whether you want a lower monthly payment with a higher down payment or a higher monthly with no down payment.
  • These days buying makes more sense than leasing. With interest rates around 8% buy the car you can afford with cash. The residuals are bad, money factor is high and there are no discounts to be had. Current money factor for Macan / Cayenne is 0.0034 / 0.0036 (MF x 2400) i.e. 8.16% to 8.64% interest.
I know you said Cayenne is out of budget. Another thing to consider is that with Cayenne, even the base model, you will feel like an upgrade over the X3. It also is roughly same price as a Macan S or GTS with options.

Two examples, Base Cayenne vs. Macan GTS ~$100k, both with air suspension and some must have options. You can also find something in the ~85k range with base Cayenne vs. Macan S.

With a Model 3 Performance in the garage, base Cayenne would make an awesome a next car. For now, keeping the X3 M40i makes most sense to me.

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-macan-gts.jpg

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-cayenne-base.jpg

Also attaching an Excel tool I have been using for the last 10 years or so. Play with it and maybe it will come in handy for you or any of our USA based BHP-ians. Good luck.

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-100k-cayenne-lease.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx USA Lease Calculator.xlsx (13.2 KB, 46 views)
inwester is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 02:12   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
There are a few predicaments that I can see.
Woah !! You leased 6-cars in 10 years. That’s quite a record. No wonder you seem to be like a guru of Leases. I’m aware about the whole concept myself including the MF and residual but, the info that you shared is truly valuable.

As mentioned before, Cayenne would be a “true” upgrade to the X3M40i but, I’m not there yet.

I can see the Macan GTS is about $1800/month and with fuel, insurance, yearly plate taxes (these are pretty high in WA) this will be easily a $2500++ /month ownership cost which is way beyond my budget.

Macan S seems to be the only one achievable and that too with a stretch.

Let me test drive these models in near future and let’s see what happens post those test drives. But, like everyone said it makes true sense to hold on to the X3M40i for a couple of more years and get that dream Porsche.

P.S : Thanks a bunch for that lovely lease calculator. Saved in my archives.

Quote:
I do have an ownership review on the Cayenne. Feel free to have a read. I also come from the background of riding Superbikes as well
Thanks for the feedback. I feel super lucky to have the BMW & Model 3 Performance in my garage. Both cars give me a lot of satisfaction, pleasure and thrills on a daily basis.

It’s rare that I envy someone’s garage and your garage is one such where both cars like mine are performance oriented.

Hope to catch up with a fellow petrolhead in Dubai in the coming months.

Quote:
I've been following your X3 M40i and the Model 3 Performance threads since its inception and I am a big fan of your writing, content and even the travelogues.

I travel almost every weekend and 50% of them are using my car or my roommate's car which is a 430i Gran Coupé xDrive. Colorado is a beautiful place in terms of scenery and outdoor activities both in summer and winter. I want to dedicate an entire post to Colorado and especially Rocky Mountains.
Wow! Nice to know that you have been a silent follower to my threads and glad to know that you like them. Had you commented even once, I would have remembered you for sure.

Looking forward to your comparisons of the X3M40i vs. X3 30i vs. 430i GC. Should be an interesting comparison. I just can’t wait to read so please hurry up. Lol!!

You have a good eye for the performance cars. I absolutely love the AF Stelvio Quadrifoglio.

However, they are rare specimens on the road as nobody wants to risk their hard earned money on an AF as they are notoriously unreliable. But, by gosh! They look, sound and drive absolutely gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT007 View Post
Very interesting dilemma to have.

My suggestion would be to go for Macan S or even stretch to the GTS if it's financially viable to you in the next 5 years after you do all the maths thoroughly, because your monthly outflow will increase but that will remain fixed but maybe with increments in your salary or other income sources what might pinch now may not from next year or so.
By telling myself that it’s “YOLO” I have wasted lot of hard earned money on automobiles in my life. As each time I am buying something, I tell the same to myself- YOLO. Haha! Just kidding

But, you are right. I should think carefully before taking a decision and save up for the right car.

Ferrari and Lambo’s are definitely sports cars not suitable to my simple lifestyle. But, a Porsche is squarely between my sights. Thanks for that inspiration.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th September 2023 at 17:24. Reason: Quoted posts trimmed; acronym
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 06:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Woah !! You leased 6-cars in 10 years. That’s quite a record.
We're a 2 car family and have been leasing cars last decade or so, having to switch each car every 3 years, so that's basically it. Needless to say my first lease was a disaster (I probably overpaid) and my last lease was the best.
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 04:29   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Test Drive Report of 2024 Porsche Macan S

The biggest Porsche dealer in Washington located in Bellevue, WA. I have passed the dealership plenty of times and always used to ogle at the glorious cars parked when I stop at the red light. Never dared enter the dealership as always thought these cars are beyond my reach.

Last week on Friday afternoon when things at work lulled, I called them to book an appointment for Sunday. Since we were going to be in the vicinity to watch the new raving SRK movie (Jawan)- It’s another story I was able to tolerate Jawan because of this beautiful test drive. LOL!

Things fell into place beautifully. I scheduled a 12:30pm appointment (we were scheduled for movie at 2:00pm in a nearby theatre) and the sales advisor (SA) mentioned that they will only have a base Macan available as S and GTS is usually not available and they don’t give it out for test drives as they don’t like to put miles on the car.

I was ok as most importantly, I wanted to get a feel of the Macan than anything else.

Reached the dealership 15 minutes in advance as I wanted to spend as much time with car as possible. My SA was busy delivering a Porsche 911 and he tagged me to another young SA. I coaxed him into getting me a S instead for a test drive instead of base version.

The only dampener was he wanted to ride with us which took some part of the fun away as I had to be conscious not to give it the full treatment. Our entire test drive lasted for about 45 minutes covering around 30 miles through freeways and back-roads based on the route he suggested.

I went in the BMW X3M40i to the dealership, so I can get a back to back drive experience between the two vehicles.

Here is my brief feedback of my test drive of a 2024 Porsche Macan S which was highly optioned and rated at 375 Horsepower and exact one that I drove was available for sale at $92,000 MSRP.

Sorry for no proper pictures and video as I didn’t want to embarrass myself doing that in front of SA but, still managed to sneak in a few pictures.

Interiors and Build Quality

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-fullsizerender-3.jpg

As soon as you step into the cabin the rush of blood (not the ones that run in my veins) red color greeted my eyes. It looks pretty at first sight but, will someone be able to live with such garish color in the cabin is anybody’s good guess.

The color, quality of the materials everything looked at least 2-steps ahead of the BMW.

Interiors are absolutely marvelous. It’s no doubt, next level to a BMW.

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-fullsizerender-4.jpg

Exteriors

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-fullsizerender-5.jpg

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_1390.jpg

This TD Macan S was in dark metallic gray color. Not a fan of the color.

I would prefer the Macan in brighter and fun shades which is what I see mostly on roads (Burnt Orange, Wine Shade, Parrot Green etc) and gives them a sporty character.

This one looked dull and does not stand out from a road presence perspective.

I think the X3 is more handsome in comparison.

Here is a picture taken outside IVARS (Grabbing some fish and chips before the movie starts) where coincidentally, I parked next to an older version Macan.

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_8616.jpg

Perfomance & Handling

This version came with lot of bells and whistles and had the sports chrono package which means you can change the modes from that round dial you see on the steering wheel.

Started the car, folks who don’t know about Porsches. Their key/ignition start button is on left side. Most Porsches still use a “Key” that you twist to bring the engine to life. I think its supposed to give an overall mechanical and Porsche feel.

Engine came to life with a small rumble (way more meeker than my B58) and we made our way out.

With me at the steering, we made our way out of the dealership and with SA giving instructions on where to turn etc.

We drove around Bellevue and took the I90 then got back to 520 which have plenty of curvy roads on freeway. I toggled between Sports and Sports + (Same like BMW has 4-modes, the other two being Standard, Individual).

Steering Feel- The steering wheel felt nice with fully leather, good weight and soft to hold. The feedback was accurate and felt great.

Suspension- This is the major difference. The suspension was so amazing that it felt super comfortable. When I got back to the X3, it made me realize that it’s little bit harsher in comparison.

Handling- This is the best part. You take turns as if they don’t exist. I did many accelerations and in some instances went up to 90mph (80mph zone) and accelerated to merge and exit freeways (this is where power is required). Macan was taking turns or bends so easily, it was actually boring. It was doing it like “Mr. Cool Head” and I was totally zapped with the handling. Man, I can only imagine what their sports cars are capable of.

Performance- Macan S is 375 HP. However, this was the biggest disappointment.

The car "did not" feel similarly powerful than my BMW. Even in Sports+ it didn’t give me the thrills that I am used to in my BMW.

In the BMW, activate Sports + and the power is right on surface of the pedal. There is no need to depress the pedal much (Folks who own a B58 will know what I am talking about). Gentle depression of A-pedal, car go bonkers.

I did not get the same feel in Macan S. I was pressing the A-pedal with more strength than I would have liked to get it's full juice out and to go up to the aforementioned speeds.

Perhaps, GTS gives the same acceleration feel of my BMW X3M40i. But, Macan S does not accelerate like my B58.

This was the biggest disappointment of the test drive.

At $92K, Macan S does almost everything either 1-level or 2-level better than the BMW but, it didn't feel exciting enough or a major upgrade to my BMW.

Upgrading to a Macan S for just for its superior handling and build quality is not worth it especially with my ownership background. Fresh off, someone driving the Macan S will love it.

Final Thoughts-- Though, I have to admit that when I went back and sat in my BMW, it made me feel little poorer despite my BMW having all the options..

I have decided to spend the next couple of years with my beloved Blau Rakete and, apply some minor mods to it to keep my ownership lively till my Porsche itch re-surfaces again (for now, Porsche Macan itch is gone)

I know that one day, I need to get a Porsche. This test drive just cleared my mind that my aim should be for a higher-end, more powerful and probably a different Porsche but, definitely no the Macan.

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th September 2023 at 04:36.
mobike008 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 02:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Looking forward to your comparisons of the X3M40i vs. X3 30i vs. 430i GC. Should be an interesting comparison. I just can’t wait to read so please hurry up. Lol!!
My review of the X3 30i is up here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...d-x3-m40i.html (Owned a BMW X3 30i xDrive for just 16 months and sold it | Replaced with an X3 M40i)

There is a separate section dedicated for X3 30i vs 430i GC. Kindly take a look at it. I hope to have covered every aspect that I can think of.

Quote:
Upgrading to a Macan S just for its superior handling and build quality is not worth it especially with my ownership background. Fresh off, someone driving the Macan S will love it.
I had been waiting to hear your opinion after the test drive of the Macan S. I expect the handling to be better but from what you are telling, it seems to be much better, yet is was more comfortable than the X3. That just blows my mind thinking about how Porsche can achieve it.

I can relate to what you mean in the Performance section as a fellow B58 owner. BMW is also known for underplaying with their power numbers as well if you think about it.

Quote:
I know that one day, I need to get a Porsche. This test drive just cleared my mind that my aim should be for a higher-end, more powerful and probably a different Porsche but, definitely no the Macan.
I believe the Macan GTS would be the ultimate car that feels like a more luxurious, sophisticated and premium version of the X3, yet handling and performing better than the X3. Maybe you should see if it is possible to get a test drive of a Macan GTS somehow and get an opinion after that?

But some more mods to your X3 and I am pretty sure the Macan GTS would disappoint you unless you want more luxury.

But it was great reading your thoughts on the Macan.

Last edited by graaja : 20th September 2023 at 06:33. Reason: Merging back to back posts
athray9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 08:25   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My review of the X3 30i is up here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...d-x3-m40i.html (Owned a BMW X3 30i xDrive for just 16 months and sold it | Replaced with an X3 M40i)

There is a separate section dedicated for X3 30i vs 430i GC. Kindly take a look at it. I hope to have covered every aspect that I can think of.
Awesome. That was pretty quick. I briefly glanced at it but, didn’t go through it in detail. Will check it out soon.

Hope you are dedicating a full ownership review to the beast in your garage and it’s coming out in theaters soon.

Quote:
I had been waiting to hear your opinion after the test drive of the Macan S. I expect the handling to be better but from what you are telling, it seems to be much better, yet is was more comfortable than the X3. That just blows my mind thinking about how Porsche can achieve it.
Pros :

Macan S handles better than the X3
Macan S suspension is better than the X3

Cons :

Macan S isn’t as powerful as the X3M40i
Macan S rear seat space is a joke as it’s super cramped.
Styling is a personal choice but, I like X3 styling better.

Quote:
I can relate to what you mean in the Performance section as a fellow B58 owner. BMW is also known for underplaying with their power numbers as well if you think about it.
Yup. The B58 is actually close to 450 horsepower in its stock form (many folks have proven that on a dyno).

Quote:
I believe the Macan GTS would be the ultimate car that feels like a more luxurious, sophisticated and premium version of the X3, yet handling and performing better than the X3. Maybe you should see if it is possible to get a test drive of a Macan GTS somehow and get an opinion after that?
Macan GTS would be the version to get if ever getting a Macan. But, it's 50% higher cost than an X3M40i. That does not make good value for money.

But, honestly after owning a X3M40i, Macan does not feel like an upgrade. It just buys you into the Porsche badge.

I’m not interested in that.

I want true performance + badge. And, the cheapest way to get that is the Porsche 718 Cayman 4.0 GTS.

Quote:
But some more mods to your X3 and I am pretty sure the Macan GTS would disappoint you unless you want more luxury.
That’s the biggest worry.

Quote:
But it was great reading your thoughts on the Macan.
Glad you liked it. I kept it simple and to the point.

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th September 2023 at 08:27.
Old 21st September 2023, 12:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
This test drive just cleared my mind that my aim should be for a higher-end, more powerful and probably a different Porsche but, definitely no the Macan.
The Cayenne turbo would be the perfect upgrade to your X3
100Kmphormore is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 12:28   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Great comparison Mobike. I absolutely loved the steering and the damping of the Macan too. Unfortunately in India it is grossly overpriced, especially with the options. Surprised that you found the power less as on paper both X3 and the Macan have similar 0-100kmph figures for around 4.8sec. Maybe the better NVH of the Macan made it feel otherwise.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 23:50   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
The Cayenne turbo would be the perfect upgrade to your X3
I think so too. Macan does not feel like a major upgrade. Probably because they are from the same segment.

Cayenne Turbo would be an ideal machine. A new one starts at nearly $200K.

If only wishes were horses, paupers will ride.

I never owned any auto which was preowned in my entire life. Maybe, if I ever consider to upgrade to a Cayenne, preowned is the only route that is affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Great comparison Mobike. I absolutely loved the steering and the damping of the Macan too. Unfortunately in India it is grossly overpriced, especially with the options.
Thanks. Yup, the suspension is so plaint it makes the BMW’s feel like that of a normal car. I don’t know how they do it but, it’s definitely superior.

What’s the price of a Macan S in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Surprised that you found the power less as on paper both X3 and the Macan have similar 0-100kmph figures for around 4.8sec. Maybe the better NVH of the Macan made it feel otherwise.
You should know it better than anyone else. What’s on the paper is totally different in real life.

Not sure where you test drove the Macan in India and if you got plenty of opportunities to accelerate it.

During my test drive, I gave it the stick all the time, keeping high revs and accelerating in Sports + and stayed between 70mph-90mph most of the drive.

It just does not feel powerful enough. Just the better sound insulation cannot be the only reason.

BMW has a lot of excitement & drama when it accelerates and as mentioned in previous post the power on tap in Sports + is way better than the Macan S.
Old 23rd September 2023, 00:48   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Porsche Eye-Candy

When I was at the Porsche dealership for the Macan test drive. I happened to see this lovely 2015 Porsche Baxter GTS with low miles (20K miles). Out of the door was priced at $85K.

I was super tempted as this car looked clean and was fully optioned with tons of carbon fiber inside.

SA told me if I was serious, I can test drive it. Well, SUV is non-negotiable which means this becomes a 3rd car for which I am not yet ready.

But, by gosh. This is in budget if I replace the BMW.

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_1395.jpg

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_1394.jpg

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_1393.jpg

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_1392.jpg

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_1396.jpg

A nice looking Cayenne.

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_1398.jpg

Porsche Bellevue is a massive dealership and they had just too many cars available. All these are Taycans.

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_1397.jpg

Spotted this cute old Cayman T inside the showroom which is used as a display/prop.

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_8605.jpg

This car is sold. I think a 2018 model. Waiting to be claimed by the new owner.

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_1381.jpg

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_1382.jpg

What a gorgeous 911 Carrera.

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_1391.jpg

Last but, not the least. The holy grail of Porsches- 911 Turbo. There were 3 brand new inside the showroom side-by-side and all bought by customers.

This black one was getting delivered that day. Imagine, this would be upwards of $250K.

Anecdote- PNW has the largest number of Porsches in the US and also the biggest Porsche groups in America.

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_1384.jpg

What next? Replacement for a BMW X3M40i-img_1386.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd September 2023 at 00:51.
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks