Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2017, 00:07   #61
BHPian

Re: Used Honda Accord V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoop View Post
You guys are tempting me to pick up a 2006 August made 3L V6 that I saw at a local Ford Assured store.
I am really tempted to blindly go for the V6 just for the heck of owning one

Another immediate benefit I see on the V6 is it will cause a only smaller hole in my pocket if I trade in my Figo with the dealer. They are offering 1.5L for my 134k run Figo. If I go for a new car, it will cost much much more. Said that, I know I need to expect higher running expenses if I use the V6 like my Figo
My 2 cents after buying a 7 year old well maintained Accord...
1. The car holds up well. The engine holds up well. Not a rattle.
2. Rubber starts giving up with age, nothing to do with mileage. Mounts, suspension parts, hoses, thermostat, seals...all are ticking time bombs
3. Gearbox - likely to have deteriorated significantly unless ATF has been changed a couple of times.
4. Some motors may start giving up. Powered front seat motor gone? Start rummaging junkyards and wait for a month. Biker hits your rear view mirror really hard and a teeth in the motor broke? Again, rummage junkyards or pay a fortune to Honda and wait for 3 weeks...

In other words, things WILL go wrong and you would need time and patience to deal with them.
d_himan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 17:09   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
I think you need to rethink your definition of over-rated, because if you go by it almost every car in India would end up being over-rated for either selling too much or not selling enough and having a fan following, or both.

You could argue that some of the top selling cars are over-rated, but the bottom line is they sell because they have attributes that people like/want, and by no stretch of the imagination could you call a Porsche or a Ferrari over-rated for selling only a handful a month.

" overrate : have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved "

Cheers.
Since you seem to know the definition of an overrated car, I request you to give some examples as to what all cars, if any, are overrated cars in Indian context. And if or if not an Accord is. My point pertaining to Accord was, it was not a looker, not a seller, no fans anywhere, so little known car. How on earth did it become an over-rated car? And no, I'm not mocking you or something. I seriously want to know because I want to learn here which all are overrated cars.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 18:04   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
My point pertaining to Accord was, it was not a looker, not a seller, no fans anywhere, so little known car. How on earth did it become an over-rated car? And no, I'm not mocking you or something. I seriously want to know because I want to learn here which all are overrated cars.
To start off, Happy Dussera to you.

According to the dictionary an over-rated car would be one that underachieves and not what you wrote, which is :

"An over-rated car is one which is very popular, sells in large numbers or has a fan following even if it does not sell in large number, example Fiat cars"

By your definition the Alto, Baleno, WagonR, Brezza, Swift, Creta and the remaining top 10 cars in sales would be over-rated because they sell in large numbers, and similarly any Porsche or Ferrari would be over-rated for not selling enough and have a fan following. I could go on list almost every car sold in India as being over-rated for one or the other reason, but think I have made my point.

According to me no car is over-rated as a whole, because every car has it's positives and negatives. You choose a car that suits your requirements, and you live with the compromises you had to make.

You gave the example of Fiat cars being over-rated, which according to you means they aren't very good. I don't know if you have ever driven or owned a Fiat but most of them are the EXACT opposite of what you have claimed because they are great fun to drive, and for most part trouble free. Fiat as a group may be over-rated in India, but for heavens sake don't make a blanket statement and put their cars in the same category.
Old 2nd October 2017, 14:12   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
To start off, Happy Dussera to you.

According to the dictionary an over-rated car would be one that underachieves and not what you wrote, which is :

"An over-rated car is one which is very popular, sells in large numbers or has a fan following even if it does not sell in large number, example Fiat cars"

By your definition the Alto, Baleno, WagonR, Brezza, Swift, Creta and the remaining top 10 cars in sales would be over-rated because they sell in large numbers, and similarly any Porsche or Ferrari would be over-rated for not selling enough and have a fan following. I could go on list almost every car sold in India as being over-rated for one or the other reason, but think I have made my point.

According to me no car is over-rated as a whole, because every car has it's positives and negatives. You choose a car that suits your requirements, and you live with the compromises you had to make.

You gave the example of Fiat cars being over-rated, which according to you means they aren't very good. I don't know if you have ever driven or owned a Fiat but most of them are the EXACT opposite of what you have claimed because they are great fun to drive, and for most part trouble free. Fiat as a group may be over-rated in India, but for heavens sake don't make a blanket statement and put their cars in the same category.
Happy Dussera to you, too. Good to know there are no over-rated cars in India. I have seen people sticking up for their cars and going head over heels in defending their purchase or their favorite car but ridiculing others' cars. There was mention of a guy somewhere who used to argue how all cars cheaper than his car are inferior and useless and all cars pricier than his are waste of money. And, see how you got offended when I called Fiat cars over-rated. We all seem to have our personal biases.

My point about Accord was simple, a Japanese reliable V6 engined car selling for a song these days, for Nano money. You will have world's fastest accelerating car for that amount you pay, in stock form. Yes, it's a barge. Not a corner-craving car. But who said it is? Only sports cars and hot-hatches are good for cornering. Sedans, with their long wheelbases and overhangs aren't. Anyway, let's end this here. I think it has dragged far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks