Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2023, 23:42   #1
BHPian

Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked

Hi everyone,

I have recently got a slight itch to replace my 2010 Mercedes E250 CDI. The car has covered over 1,35,000 kms, however recently it has been plagued with issues. This year alone we have spent well over 2 lacs into it. The car was also hydrolocked back in 2019(more on that later), which doesn't help either.

So a little back story about the vehicle + slight ownership experience

The year was 2010, and I was just a little over 5 years old, and my mom was looking to upgrade from her Mitsubishi Lancer. At that time, we had 3 cars in our garage. A 2006 Tata Safari Decor VX 3.2, a Tata Indica and a Mitsubishi Lancer, which was my mom's personal car and the one she enjoyed driving the most. The service costs had increased significantly, and there was no authorised service centre in my hometown of Jodhpur, so we decided to let it go and started looking for options.

Now I am not aware about which options were considered, but I vaguely recall a test drive C220CDi in white colour visiting our home.

A few days later I was shown the brochure of the W212 E-Class and was asked to decide on a few specs. I remember selecting the alloys which eventually led to us getting home an Obsidian Black Mercedes-Benz E250 CDi BlueEfficiency home on the 19th of December 2010, which was also my mom's birthday!

This led to the start of luxury cars in our family.

Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-unknown-32.jpg
This is the earliest picture I have of it.

Eventually, this also became the car that made me into a Mercedes fanboy, which led to our purchase of a GLS350d in 2016, which has now left the garage, and replacement is due in the future for it as well, however this post will focus on replacing the E-Class, which I have named "Alittle". (My best friends did play a slight role in this)

Now, this car is very close to my heart for various reasons, mainly because of the nostalgia attached to this car and the fond memories with this. This is also the car on which I learnt to drive in 2020, and I still enjoy this car to the max!

However, the car was hydrolocked back in August of 2019, at around 1,12,000 kms, and has become very problematic since.
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_8506.jpg
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_8507.jpg

This incident took place when we were on the way to the airport, and it had rained heavily the previous night. This was just 1km away from the airport, and to this day we regret taking the E instead of the Crysta or GLS.

The car was eventually repaired and back in service by February-March of 2020.

I had my first experience driving it on the 29th of August 2020, and I instantly fell in love with the power it had to offer! 201hp, 500nm torque and RWD, which arguably is not the best choice for a beginner, however lockdowns and empty roads made it better for me, and also helped me in improving my handling skills!

However soon after I started driving, (and using the car to the full potential by pushing it to the limits that the driver never pushed it to), the check engine light came on while I was driving, and the car suddenly stalled. (It was an empty backroad and hence wasn't much of an issue, however the car had to be towed to our farm 1km away, where our mechanic came and diagnosed the issue to something with the fuel pump).

Since that day, the check engine light constantly remained on and to this day it has some or the other issue popping up, however it did not affect the performance for the most part until this year.

Here's a clip of it effortlessly getting past 120 with the check engine light on.

The main issues that we experienced this year include a head gasket replacement, turbo servicing, accelerator pedal failing, steering lock failing and intercooler hose pipes giving up.

The head gasket replacement let to the heads being rebuilt, which obviously accounted to majority of the money we spent on it this year, and the last of a reliable FNG back in my hometown is also causing more issues.

Also, the car still struggles from many electronically issues from the hydro locking, including busted speakers, some wires still being wet(which was diagnosed when the accelerator failed), and some other sensors causing issues.

Now I have been facing a dilemma on weather to buy new or used. Open to both choices, however I have a very specific set of requirements, and I am also very attached to the W212 pre-facelift design.

My requirements -
1. Sedan
2. Rear-wheel-drive: This is most essential as to this date, I refuse to touch FWDs cause of the driving dynamics.
3. A full-size spare-wheel: Now this is the lone requirement which, in my research, cannot be fulfilled if I were to stick to my previous requirements.
4. Diesel (preferred but not necessary)

So, I have considered the following options:

1. Buying a used E350CDi of similar vintage: This will obviously include getting the car evaluated at a Mercedes service centre to see if it's worth going for. I have narrowed down to 2-3 examples in Mumbai for around 7 lacs.

2. Incase the E350CDi plan does not work, I am also open to exploring used E250CDis and E220CDis of similar vintage(W212 Pre-facelift).

3. Going the new option: So in this case, I found the C300d to fit my criteria the most, but again it lacks a full-size spare wheel, which in my opinion is essential, but most manufactures skip this, aside from Lexus with their ES, and Toyota with their Camry, however both of them are FWDs and have CVT gearbox, which is a no for me.

4. The last option, if nothing works, is keeping Alittle for longer, but it will require a lot more work, as it is almost 13 years old now. Although I have listed it for sale with a local dealer, I have not got a good enough offer yet. Most offers max at 5-5.5 Lacs, mainly because it being in my hometown and also because it is black in colour(People don't prefer to have darker colours in Rajasthan that much). Had got one for 7, but he was unable to arrange finances. The least I am expecting is 7, but seeing the condition of the car, even 6.5L is fine.

I would appreciate suggestions on this matter.

Parting out with a few photos of my beloved Alittle:

Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-e250.jpg
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-a0d9896e75cb46bb9e0bc8f804c431b2.jpeg
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-f800407dcdbf45bda34ef3cdf278bbba-2.jpg
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_1833.jpg
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_8559.jpg
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_8557.jpg
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_8560.jpg
B747fan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 08:21   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked

Beautiful Benz, sorry to hear of the flood damage. Once a car is severely flood-damaged, it is never ever the same. I realised it with my humble Nissan Sunny. Water can reach places that the human hand (mechanic's hand) will never be able to.

Sell your car. 13 years is anyway a good service period.

My suggestion = since you are comfortable with pre-owned, buy a well-maintained used E-Class or 5-Series. Go for 6-cylinder only, either E350 CDI or 530d. There are plenty of options in the market. You have the budget, so avoid the 7-lakh rupee examples. Set your max budget and go for the newest, lowest run example you can find in it.

Forget spending 70-lakhs on a new C-Class. Better spend 30 - 50 lakhs on a great E350 or 530d. Take a spin in the G30 530d too, you will love it. The current gen E-Class is a LWB which I don't think is to your tastes, so look for the previous-gen E350 CDI, but it will be old.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 08:45   #3
BHPian

Re: Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Beautiful Benz, sorry to hear of the flood damage. Once a car is severely flood-damaged, it is never ever the same. I realised it with my humble Nissan Sunny. Water can reach places that the human hand (mechanic's hand) will never be able to.

Sell your car. 13 years is anyway a good service period.

My suggestion = since you are comfortable with pre-owned, buy a well-maintained used E-Class or 5-Series. Go for 6-cylinder only, either E350 CDI or 530d. There are plenty of options in the market. You have the budget, so avoid the 7-lakh rupee examples. Set your max budget and go for the newest, lowest run example you can find in it.

Forget spending 70-lakhs on a new C-Class. Better spend 30 - 50 lakhs on a great E350 or 530d. Take a spin in the G30 530d too, you will love it. The current gen E-Class is a LWB which I don't think is to your tastes, so look for the previous-gen E350 CDI, but it will be old.
Hi GTO! Thank you for your response. Yes I fully agree that a car once water damaged is never the same anymore.

I am mainly looking for a W212 pre-facelift because of the elegance grill it has, which, in my opinion, looks timeless! A few months ago, while I was driving on the highway, a biker overtook me, gave me a thumbs on for the car, and then sped away! I have narrowed down the E350CDis which look to be in decent condition, however I will still get the evaluated before proceeding further. The facelift W212s get the Avantgarde pack as standard, which I do not really like, but I did scout for facelift E350CDis, and only found one in decent condition in Mumbai, however the asking price was too much, at 39 lakhs for a 2017, 2nd owner car, driven around 80k.

I am indeed mainly considering 6-cylinder options only, I considered both Diesel and Petrol, so E350CDi, E350 Petrol and E250 Petrol, I decided to stay away from petrols because of the increasing ethanol content in petrol, as the maintenance is already quite expensive with these old beauties!(Will definitely be on looking for some good FNGs in Bandra/BKC area) But I am still open to considering them in case I don't find any good examples of E350CDi.

The car will be mainly driven by my driver and occasionally by me, as I am yet to gain full confidence in driving in Mumbai traffic (currently driving a manual 2010 Innova here) The average running will be around 300-350kms a month.

Last year, I decided to get my car evaluated at the local dealer. They gave an estimate of 18 lakhs to fully repair the car. It was then lowered to 3.5 lakhs for just fixing the main items.

While I am fully open to used cars, my mom isn't, and she suggested to go for a newer one, and that's why I considered the new C300d. (She wants to give me a car as a gift for my birthday which was just a few months ago.) She also liked the E-Class LWB, however I did not like the use of blue with beige in the interiors of the E350d AMG Line, hence decided to skip.

While I appreciate your suggestion for a BMW 530d, and I know you have one, I am not really a BMW person. The only BMW I will ever consider, that too as a project car, might be a BMW 118d.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th November 2023 at 22:25. Reason: Rule #11
B747fan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a great back story and a lot of us can relate it. Sorry to hear about the flood damage, that's a bummer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747fan View Post

1. Buying a used E350CDi of similar vintage...

2. Incase the E350CDi plan does not work, I am also open to exploring used E250CDis and E220CDis of similar vintage(W212 Pre-facelift).
While it's perfectly understandable to be attached to this particular car given the wonderful back story, I don't see much point in wanting to replace it with a preowned E350CDI of same vintage.

Quote:

3. Going the new option: So in this case, I found the C300d to fit my criteria the most, but again it lacks a full-size spare wheel, which in my opinion is essential, but most manufactures skip this, aside from Lexus with their ES, and Toyota with their Camry, however both of them are FWDs and have CVT gearbox, which is a no for me.
Don't be too rigid about a full size spare wheel given the overall market scene. I get the need for it but it's a sensible compromise given the big picture. You will probably do just fine unless you are driving a car with low profile or RFT tires that are particularly prone to tire damages.

Quote:
4. The last option, if nothing works, is keeping Alittle for longer, but it will require a lot more work, as it is almost 13 years old now. Although I have listed it for sale with a local dealer, I have not got a good enough offer yet. Most offers max at 5-5.5 Lacs, mainly because it being in my hometown and also because it is black in colour(People don't prefer to have darker colours in Rajasthan that much). Had got one for 7, but he was unable to arrange finances. The least I am expecting is 7, but seeing the condition of the car, even 6.5L is fine.
Maybe if you have ample parking/farm and bandwidth for basic upkeep (cleaning, drive a little now and then), just retain this current car just for the heck of it. Some random guy will buy it for 6L and treat it like **** and you might actually bump into this car :-)
androdev is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
That's a great back story and a lot of us can relate it. Sorry to hear about the flood damage, that's a bummer!

While it's perfectly understandable to be attached to this particular car given the wonderful back story, I don't see much point in wanting to replace it with a preowned E350CDI of same vintage.
My mom has the exact point of view as you on this, however, there is a certain charm in this particular generation of E-Class, and I certainly am very attracted and attached to it. I mainly want this generation because: I am used to the driving dynamics, it has its own unique patina and charisma, which still makes it look great, modern and attractive to this date, and the fact that it does not have the issues faced by BS6 Diesels.

Quote:
Don't be too rigid about a full size spare wheel given the overall market scene. I get the need for it but it's a sensible compromise given the big picture. You will probably do just fine unless you are driving a car with low profile or RFT tires that are particularly prone to tire damages.
Yes, at this point I think this is most probably the right thing to do... But I have read a few tyre burst stories, and it seemed to me that a full-size spare wheel is something that should be there. (because the donut space-saver spare wheels cannot be used for much distance, and that too at a lower speed, so don't want to get stuck anywhere, in case we ever decide to do a road trip.)

Quote:
Maybe if you have ample parking/farm and bandwidth for basic upkeep (cleaning, drive a little now and then), just retain this current car just for the heck of it. Some random guy will buy it for 6L and treat it like **** and you might actually bump into this car :-)
Parking at home or at farm is not an issue, but even if we keep it, it is becoming a very big money pit. Last 3 years have seen it getting work done which has costed well over 10 lakh rupees. With a major turbo overhaul due soon. The chance of me bumping into this car will be very less, as this car is in my hometown of Jodhpur, and I spend majority of my time in Mumbai, which is most probably where the replacement where be based in. :-D
B747fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:46   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ah, since you love the W212 so much, then go for that generation only. Don't be stuck on pre versus post facelift. Go get the newest, lowest mileage, best-maintained example you can find. This generation of the E-Class looks stunning, even today!

6-cylinder only, please . With all these emission norms & electrification, it will be your last chance to enjoy a 6-cylinder.

Last edited by GTO : 8th November 2023 at 10:00.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ah, since you love the W212 so much, then go for that generation only. Don't be stuck on pre versus post facelift. Go get the newest, lowest mileage, best-maintained example you can find. This generation of the E-Class looks stunning, even today!

6-cylinder only, please .
Yes, I’m only on the lookout for 6-cylinder variants! After having driven the 4-cylinder variant for over 3 years, I believe the 6-cylinder variants will offer even a better drive experience!

So pre-facelift gives me 3 options for a V6: E350CDi, E350 Petrol and E250 Petrol. However, I am not sure whether to go ahead with petrols given the E20 compatibility issues. The facelift only has one variant with a V6, the E350CDi, however it is hard to find examples which are not white in colour.

I got to experience the Diesel V6 OM642 in our GLS a few times before it left our garage, and it was certainly a very different experience then the inline-4 OM651 of the E.

Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-3fbbfa2516db488eb417ec3de39f7e07.jpeg

(It was slightly dirty at that time as it was stored at our farm and the E was the daily drive for me; dad daily drives the Innova Crysta)

I will keep everyone here posted on what I decide eventually. I am flying back to my hometown tomorrow, and I will first try to get a good deal on my car before I proceed with any other options.
B747fan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 09:32   #8
BHPian

Highly recommend getting a bmw 530d a f10 gen or even a g30! Amazing car performance wise and driving dynamics wise too, also a change from mercedes. A facelift w212 e350d is also a good option but the bmw has more punch in my opinion.
UMXR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 10:46   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

1. You can let go of your E250. It will only cause more trouble as it ripens further
2. Agreed with GTO and others, nothing less than 6 cylinders would do
3. E350CDI facelift is amazing with the crisp color cluster, adaptive LEDs and two-wheeler protection system (360 camera). Plus the same power plant as the GLS in a lighter body, you know what I'm getting at
4. Alternately, look at F10 LCI 530d (and G30 if the budget allows - you said you were up to C300d). Can't go wrong with that either
5. Depending on the above and your experience with the flooding, can look at 30d X3 and X5 as well
They go like the wind (can't get the X5 I drove out of my head)

Life is too short to drive boring cars

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 9th November 2023 at 10:47.
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 12:41   #10
BHPian

Oh my god what a small world! I remember you had messaged me on Discord back in 2019, and we talked about your E Class getting flooded! I have no idea which server we were on mutually back in the day, but the second I saw your profile picture and username I immediately remembered you.

I'm glad you were able to get your car back up and running. I absolutely love the pre facelift W212 and think it is the BEST looking Mercedes ever made!

While it is sad, I do think it's time to let go of the E Class. While I love MB and I can attest they are reliable mechanically when taken care of, the electrical gremlins are a whole other thing. I have experienced a few over the last 3 years of owning my W213 E300 and it's been well taken care of with nothing even close to the severity of a flood to impact it.

I think a used W213 facelift would be a perfect replacement for you. Lot of improvements in tech and design from the pre facelift W212 to the facelifted W213. While it is hard to let go of the design that is so iconic, I do think that any 10-12 year old MB now is gonna have the same maintenance challenges that you are facing with your current car.
AnkitHJain7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 19:37   #11
BHPian

Hi all, I flew back to my hometown today, and the first thing I did was to pick up my car from the dealer. So first thoughts: The car's condition has gotten arguably worse, and it refuses to start at multiple occasions. Like the key fob will unlock the car, and but the ignition does not easily recognise it. Sharing a few photos I took once I got it home. I had planned to enjoy it a bit, and do some power steer turns on backroads which have a lot of dirt on the u-turns, but seems unlikely that I'll get to experience them again on this. (I'll still try tomorrow morning before driving it back to the dealer, hopefully will capture it on video)

Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_6845.jpg
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_6850.jpg
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_6851.jpg

Now this reminded me of an incident that happened back in January of 2021, so I'd like to share an anecdote.

The car suddenly refused to turn on, and I checked the owners manual and started to play around with the fuse box to try to fix it (could not resist)

It happened at the farm, and with no instant fix in sight, had to take the GLS(ah what a lovely car it was! Driven only 24.6k kms in 5 years that we had it, mainly due to covid and me moving to Mumbai for studies. Dad does not drive the mercs, but uses his Crysta due to high running, at times 100kms a day) out of storage back then! Attaching a few pics! One of the few times I decided to do this!

Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_9123.jpg
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_9122.jpg
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_9124.jpg
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_9128.jpg
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_9129.jpg
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_9288.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMXR View Post
Highly recommend getting a bmw 530d a f10 gen or even a g30! Amazing car performance wise and driving dynamics wise too, also a change from mercedes. A facelift w212 e350d is also a good option but the bmw has more punch in my opinion.
Hi, Thank you for the suggestion, However I do not want a BMW, and I would prefer to stick to a mercedes (brand loyalty). I tried to look for facelift W212 E350 CDis, but they are extremely hard to find in and around Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
1. You can let go of your E250. It will only cause more trouble as it ripens further
2. Agreed with GTO and others, nothing less than 6 cylinders would do
3. E350CDI facelift is amazing with the crisp color cluster, adaptive LEDs and two-wheeler protection system (360 camera). Plus the same power plant as the GLS in a lighter body, you know what I'm getting at
4. Alternately, look at F10 LCI 530d (and G30 if the budget allows - you said you were up to C300d). Can't go wrong with that either
5. Depending on the above and your experience with the flooding, can look at 30d X3 and X5 as well
They go like the wind (can't get the X5 I drove out of my head)

Life is too short to drive boring cars
So I am indeed going to sell my E250 CDi, even if it goes for 6 Lakhs because at this point, it is just not worth the trouble.

Yes, I am only looking for 6-cylinder versions, and have short-listed 3 cars in Mumbai, which I will have a look at once I come back after 10 days. I have short-listed 2 E250 V6, one is a single-owner, cuprite brown, owned by a chairman of a company(or so I was told by the dealer last night), driven around 91k kms, with complete service record from AutoHanger, and the other is a 2nd owner E250, also cuprite brown, but driven only 28k kms.(yes this raises a few eyebrows.) The interior seemed as good as new on this, so would contact the dealer once I am back. The same dealer also has a 2nd owner E350CDi, again cuprite brown, driven around 95k kms. The E250s are 2010 and the E350CDi is 2009 model.

As for the latter points, again, sticking to Mercedes, and sedans. The W212 is my favourite body style, and include the memories attached with it, seems likely that I am going to keep at least one W212 for the rest of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitHJain7 View Post
Oh my god what a small world! I remember you had messaged me on Discord back in 2019, and we talked about your E Class getting flooded! I have no idea which server we were on mutually back in the day, but the second I saw your profile picture and username I immediately remembered you.

I'm glad you were able to get your car back up and running. I absolutely love the pre facelift W212 and think it is the BEST looking Mercedes ever made!

While it is sad, I do think it's time to let go of the E Class. While I love MB and I can attest they are reliable mechanically when taken care of, the electrical gremlins are a whole other thing. I have experienced a few over the last 3 years of owning my W213 E300 and it's been well taken care of with nothing even close to the severity of a flood to impact it.

I think a used W213 facelift would be a perfect replacement for you. Lot of improvements in tech and design from the pre facelift W212 to the facelifted W213. While it is hard to let go of the design that is so iconic, I do think that any 10-12 year old MB now is gonna have the same maintenance challenges that you are facing with your current car.
Hi! I don't really remember you, but I did tell a few people on discord back then, it's one of the two things: Either an aviation server or a tech YouTuber server. What was your discord username? If you don't mind, drop me a message @real.b747fan on discord.

and hahaha, having the same identity on all platforms helps, doesn't it?

Yes having it fixed and running back was an achievement, but the ensuing trouble was a lot worse than what it would've been with just replacing it with a similar used example back then.

This E will indeed be going shortly, and I will try to make the most of this in the meantime(assuming it survives.) I am sticking to W212s for nostalgic reasons, and also I find them to handle better without the BS6 issues. The V213s, while are a good and comfortable option, they are also too big for me to drive. I am still developing skills, and I have mastered driving the W212 (I drove 13kms alone today getting it from the dealer to our house, while the driver followed me in the 2.8 Crysta) The difference in the dynamics of the Innova and E were felt immediately by me(having driven the Crysta on my way to the dealer). The main issue was the turbo, I am told it is giving up and would be an expensive fix. I did face sudden bursts of power due to turbo suddenly performing, and then not.

Well, if this car would have not been harmed by the hydrolocking scene, I am pretty sure that the maintenance costs would have been way lesser!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9288.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	4.76 MB
ID:	2529209

Last edited by Aditya : 9th November 2023 at 22:30. Reason: Rule #11
B747fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 20:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Well, if this car would have not been harmed by the hydrolocking scene, I am pretty sure that the maintenance costs would have been way lesser!

Attachment 2529209
Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_6822.jpeg

Meant to attach this image at the end, requesting mods please edit it.
Old 11th November 2023, 20:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I am only looking for 6-cylinder versions, and have short-listed 3 cars in Mumbai, which I will have a look at once I come back after 10 days. I have short-listed 2 E250 V6, one is a single-owner, cuprite brown, owned by a chairman of a company(or so I was told by the dealer last night), driven around 91k kms, with complete service record from AutoHanger, and the other is a 2nd owner E250, also cuprite brown, but driven only 28k kms.(yes this raises a few eyebrows.) The interior seemed as good as new on this, so would contact the dealer once I am back. The same dealer also has a 2nd owner E350CDi, again cuprite brown, driven around 95k kms. The E250s are 2010 and the E350CDi is 2009 model.
Hi all,

An update on this: I have rejected the 2009 E350CDi as it is a BS3 model.

Just wanted to know if anyone has any idea if the 2010 E250 Petrol V6 is BS4 or BS3. Checking used listings on OLX for Maharashtra didn’t work as it doesn’t mention the emission norms. The ones in Delhi NCR have a mix of BS3 and BS4 registrations.

I have asked the dealer with whom I’m in touch with but haven’t heard back from him yet. Have also written an email to Mercedes customer support but going by my experience with their live chat, I don’t think it’ll be helpful.

As for an update on my current E-Class, There is a slight issue with the ignition switch lock (ESL)module, and it is still with me for now, and I have a few perspective buyers. Met one today, who is also a team-bhpian! I will keep everyone posted. Hoping to sell it before I fly back to Mumbai on 20th.

Last edited by B747fan : 11th November 2023 at 21:08. Reason: Gave an update on my current E.
B747fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 20:27   #14
BHPian

Here's a quick update:

The car remains unsold for now, however I did add 127 kilometres to it, bringing its odometer reading to 135,616km!(as of yesterday, before I flew back) I have in the meanwhile shortlisted 2 cars, a 2010 E250 V6 Petrol, 1st owner, 91k kilometres, and a 2012 E350CDi, 2nd owner, 84k kilometres.

I went to see the E350CDi today, but it was not at the dealer, because he had parked it at his house. By the time his son got the car, it was dark, and hence couldn't properly evaluate the exterior. The interior seemed mostly fine, aside from the setback pockets being out of shape and stuck using some cheap glue, and the front passenger headrests being quite out of shape. Oh, and also the hood opening lever was broken and hanging by a wire. Now comes the main part: The car had a check engine light on. The dealer's son said it just came on and he said that it is probably because the car was under storage. My experience with check engine light on W212s has been quite a lot, so safe to say that it is a sign of an underlying condition. He said he will get everything fixed and cleared up if I want, I said first scan the code, send it to me, and then we will arrange a test drive to discuss further. Overall, I felt the experience was a bit shady, and I might skip this one, although depends on the test drive, mainly, along with the follow up from their side.

I will be going to see the E250 V6 Petrol tomorrow, as it turned out, it is my best friend's grandfather's company car, so I don't expect any issues with it, plus it has full service record from autohanger, so that's also reassuring. I will keep you all posted on any further developments. Hoping to sell my current one and have a replacement with me latest by mid-december. (Very likely to go ahead with the E250 V6)

Parting with some milestone readings from my last few drives with Alittle and some parting shots :,D

Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_7266.jpg
This is from when I hit 135,555 km milestone a few days ago.

Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_7668.jpg
I will definitely miss this seat very much!

Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_7672.jpg
I have many happy memories from this cabin, served us really well!

Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_7782.jpg
Did my last 100 km/h on the highway near my house on the last drive. It did struggle cause turbo wasn't working, but no check engine light either.(it did come on once earlier, when the turbo had kicked in, however it disappeared on its own after 3-4 starting cycles and hasn't reappeared. However, the turbo hasn't kicked in since then either.)

Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_7784.jpg
Stats from my last drive. Yes, it was a small one, as I had to leave for the airport.

Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_7789.jpg
Final odometer reading post my drive. (feat the 2.8L Crysta in background)

Replacing my 13-year old Mercedes E250 CDI which got flood-damaged & hydrolocked-img_7770.jpg
One last picture before I parted ways with it and flew back to Mumbai! It is very likely that it will be gone by the time I fly back next month.

Last edited by B747fan : 21st November 2023 at 20:31. Reason: typo
Old 4th December 2023, 12:58   #15
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Here is an update. I got the E250 V6 evaluated at AutoHangar Vile Parle. The main findings that were disturbing to me were "local parts" for suspension, and corrosion of the muffler(not something unexpected for a 13 year old car, but expensive.) Other than that, the car has been serviced at Mercedes. Now I am waiting for a proper pdf with the estimates, before deciding whether to go ahead with it or not.

My SA at T&T Motors Jodhpur advised again going for this due to muffler being around 80k-1L, and that the aftermarket suspension will not last for long, say 15-20k kilometres, before requiring 1.5-2L of work at the very minimum.

I will be updating you all shortly on how I plan to go ahead from here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks