Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2023, 12:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Dropped the Mercedes C-Class | Now choosing between BMW 330i & Audi A6

Oh this post desperately needs a poll!
But I guess, poll results are pretty deterministic too. It’s going to be a split vote.

Both are accomplished cars in their own ways.
Close your eyes and think hard towards which one would you (and your family) love more over the years?
The thrill of fast 330Li is great but it depends on you that the thrill will subside in how many months/years.

Otherwise, trying to put myself in your shoes, I’hd get A6 Tech! It’s a car from upper segment after all and it does look stunning.

Oh btw, a 5-6k Carlink adaptor would solve your concern with wired carplay in Audi. I am using it in my Jag and it works 9/10 times (or maybe 8/10 when the adaptor has a mood of its own. Lol)
Tutenkhamen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 13:20   #17

Do give the BMW 6GT a try. I feel it has the best balance between being sporty and comfortable. Air suspension is standard across all variants and you could get a good deal considering there is a facelift coming up early next year.
Nikhilvm4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 17:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderHokage View Post

All these cons are pushing me towards the A6 Technology. The difference is around 6 lakhs. What do you think of the comparison?
Err! different segments. the 3 goes against the A4, the 5 is the A6 competitor.
Old 13th December 2023, 17:14   #19

I'm too am in the same boat. Having driving SUVs since last 12 years very difficult to move to sedans, but after experiencing the interiors of A6 I'm just trying to convince myself that I can make the move. The drive of A4 was no doubt more enjoyable but those interiors of A6...
Test drove X1, Tuscon, Meridian too; these all were good but then the heart is stuck to A6. The GC of 3GL felt too low for being a daily drive to me on slightly rough roads.
Do let us know your decision.
Abhi83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 23:16   #20
BHPian

I recently drove from Mumbai to Goa, then back. Over 1450 kms in 10 days. the family took A6 (2021) and 3GT 330i. (i know 330Li is different but i speak of the engine/power train).
I extensively drove both cars, back to back, on highways, mumbai bad road, delightful goan road, narrow streets and ghats. And time and again I found myself picking up the keys to A6. Its a delight not just to drive, but to sit in too.

When we started, i fought my uncle for the keys to 3GT, the engine is a gem, that weighted steering, the sports seat - it was love at first sight when i saw it 3 years back and always drove the car whenever i was in town.
3 days into the trip and i was head over heels for the A6. I loved the seats more, liked the steering more, found it less cumbersome to park, visibility outside is better, the Headlights are miles ahead, the AC cools better.
A6 is not just equally fun to drive, but less tiring as well. My advice would be to get A6. Hands down a better car amongst the listed three according to me.

and now to throw you a curve ball, if you do decide to stretch to A6 Tech variant, check out Evoque R Dynamic SE. A neighbor picked up evoque in white recently. Looks likes a dream on wheels
ghost-was-here is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 00:34   #21
BHPian

Aha please read my thread

I was in the same boat, but ultimately went for the A6. Make sure you get the tech variant, the extra bits are worth it, especially the audio system and the headlights.

I'm two years into the ownership now and it has been hard to fault. Supremely comfortable, especially at slow speeds which is how 90% of the time of the majority of the people will be spent. The 3 series has only the driving factor going for it. A6 is just a better value for money proposition.

What I have observed after two years of driving is that it's a car that can drive well in almost all situations. I've driven it predominantly on the highways and the streets of chennai, it's also made a few hill station trips. Only twice ive felt the fwd disadvantage, both times when i was taking at a sharp bend on the highway at 150ish. That's like twice in 2 years and 21,,000 km. The engine is great, the noise insulation is fantastic, especially in city traffic when everyone is drowning in horns. It really does block out almost all noise. It's a complete package and has been amazing throughout ownership. It's got all the creature comforts, especially electric steering. The thing feels expensive to the touch. You can close your eyes and put your hands across and you'll feel only good materials. The audio system, easily among the best. Floor it on an empty stretch and watch the car hit the double ton. There is a specific pothole that's kind of difficult to avoid so I've hit it too many times. Endeavor was the most comfortable there followed by A6. My kushaq makes a solid thud over there. I suppose it's time for an update on my thread.

I can't think of anything to say in the 3 series favour. It drives well, but getting a car from of a segment higher for the same price is an obvious choice. If this is your 2nd or 3rd German, you could opt for the 3 if you're particular about the model i guess. The m340i is killer for what it offers, but the regular 3? Not so much. I think the best time to get it was when discounts were good and the sport variant was on sale at more than 10 lakhs lesser than it is now. The 5 series is definitely a better car than A6 on a lot of counts, but that's where the comparison is, not with the 3.

Take some time and look at all options. If you're going to be driving within the City throughout, an SUV would be ideal to tackle unexpected potholes and roads. Q3 is pretty nice, maybe the A4 a better price. GLC is probably the best in the segment right now.
hrk997 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 08:33   #22
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Get the 330Li. While the A6 might be a fantastic all-rounder, the 330Li will plaster a smile on your face. Plus the age old BMW cramped rear issue is resolved due to LWB Chassis.

Besides, you can't run Konoha if you're not looking cool
vredesbyrd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 11:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

BMW 330Li & Audi A6 - Cars from two different segments and appeals different customer base. I have driven both and have spend hours with them while they were stand still, typical me

I assume that you don't want to cross 75 big ones . Keeping that in mind and also the fact that you currently drive Linea T-Jet and EcoSport, BMW 330Li will be the natural choice however for sheer comfort, luxury and VFM compared to BMW 330Li will tilt you towards a segment higher Audi A6.

Having said that, If I were you and these were the only two choices to pick from, I would pick BMW 330Li.Period. The smile BMW brings on your face every time you take it on highways or twisty ghat roads is priceless!!
HammerHead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 01:18   #24
BHPian

I'd test driven the A6 before picking up my A4 last year. Two things that stood out were,
i) the power delivery in the A6 was frightfully good (if not better) than the 330Li and
ii) the rear seat headroom and legroom of the A6 were not much better than the A4.

I'd also test driven both the pre-facelift and post-facelift versions of the 330Li last year. While I did not find the drive selector lever in the pre-facelift model anything special, I absolutely hated the new gear selector nub/switch in the post-facelift model. Also, using the screen to adjust everything including the A/C was frustrating. Plus, the seats were too hard. It wasn't a luxurious experience. The only good thing I found in the 330Li vs the A4/A6 was the rear legroom.

Just sharing my observations. I hope this helps.
sydras is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 21:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-was-here View Post
I recently drove from Mumbai to Goa, then back. Over 1450 kms in 10 days. the family took A6 (2021) and 3GT 330i. (i know 330Li is different but i speak of the engine/power train).
I extensively drove both cars, back to back, on highways, mumbai bad road, delightful goan road, narrow streets and ghats. And time and again I found myself picking up the keys to A6. Its a delight not just to drive, but to sit in too.
What mileage you get in both cars within city and your goa travel ,this would be large tilting point in decision making or ball would simply roll to more frugal bmw 320d grand limousine.
Old 20th December 2023, 21:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderHokage View Post
PS My driving will be mostly in Delhi NCR with occasional road trips to Kanpur, Jaipur, Jodhpur and some hill stations which premium sedans like these can handle.
I just want to know which headlights A6 premium plus has? The Matrix one or the basic led ones? And also interested in knowing which rear lights. Please attach a picture if possible.
Old 22nd December 2023, 17:58   #27

Hi everyone, long-time forum lurker and new member here - this is my first post.

I'm a pre-facelift petrol 330Li owner (2022 model), and I had a diesel A4 (2016 model) before this, so just adding my 2 cents from my personal experience.

Based on memory, I think my A4 had slightly better noise insulation than the 330Li - it blocked out all outside sounds really well. It wasn't as fast to pick up speed, but when you stepped on the gas, after a hint of a lag, it gave you one long, sustained "whooooosh" of power - it just kept pulling until you eased off the gas (because of the different gearbox type, perhaps?) - you couldn't really feel the gearshifts. And it felt rock-solid even at high speeds - it didn't make you feel like you could take corners at crazy speeds, but it felt like driving a tank really fast - like super-stable. The sound system was good, but not great. I loved the knurled knobs for controlling the AC and music system - great tactile feel. And it was really comfortable in the back, with great rear air conditioning, side window blinds and an electric rear blind.

Now onto the 330Li - this car really is a driver's machine! It makes you *want* to floor the pedal and take sharp, tight turns. It has a low, sporty driving position, better sound system than the A4 (I have the Msport variant with the Harman Kardon speakers), and the technology definitely feels a notch above the A4. Wireless Airplay works seamlessly. The iDrive rotary controller is *really* useful - I use that most of the time, it's much less distracting than trying to change settings on the touchscreen while driving. And of course, it's a joy to drive - there are times when the gearbox reads your mind! You've been stuck behind a few cars, itching to overtake, you suddenly get an opening, put your right foot down, and then *zoom*! No lag, just an instant blast of acceleration that leaves the traffic behind in seconds.

But now for the 330Li's cons - firstly, the small boot is a fact you can't escape. My A4 had a massive boot, which could comfortably carry 2 large suitcases. In comparison, the 330Li has much more rear seat space, but clearly at the cost of the boot, which is not only small but also shallow (with a space saver under the boot floor). It can take only 1 large suitcase plus some smaller bags, hence for a road trip with family, you might run out of space. When we'd last done a road trip (admittedly with 2 small kids, so we had to carry more things), I had to fill the boot and then load smaller things on the front seat too, with the wife and kids in the back.

Also, I've sat in some of the new BMWs with the gear selector switch (as opposed to the old gear selector stick), and I don't like that at ALL. I also enjoy driving manual transmissions (unless in crazy traffic), so the tactile feel of a proper gear is very important to me - and a fiddly little switch just doesn't feel right.

I guess the summary of what I'm saying is - get the 330Li if it's primarily for your own driving pleasure, and get the A6 if it's for your family as well.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd December 2023 at 19:01. Reason: Removed lots of ascii characters.
Outatime is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 00:15   #28
BHPian

Hi, being a 330Li owner for the past 2 years. I would strongly suggest you go for the audi A6 if you are around 40. Bmw is too sharp needs constant attention and tiring to drive. The jerk you get every time you brake to a complete halt is annoying. Though powerful in a straight line its nowhere as nimble as the standard 3 series or even the A6. And the ride quality is surprisingly much better on the A6. Its less floaty and better tied down at high speeds. Its a overall better package compared to the 3 series. If you want pure driving pleasure go for the 340i or else you can safely pick the A6.
Old 23rd December 2023, 10:01   #29
BHPian

I was in the same dilemma. C class is a joke with the space and the engine isn’t appealing.

My initial test drive of the A6 wasn’t exciting and frankly I didn’t give the car a fair chance as I was sold on the 3. However, many test drives later this is what I discovered with the 3

1. Good engine
2. Bad seats
3. Missing bells and whistles

We almost booked the car and I was quite sold on it myself but the more I test drove, the more the appeal of the engine faded and everything else came into light. I found myself tired post each drive and soon the missing features just became a sore topic.

Then just to be fair, I decided to try the a6 again and this time, I gave it a fair chance.

1. Decent on power
2. Much easier to handle in city traffic
3. Blinds!
4. Excellent music system
5. Gear shifter (big deal to me)
6. Fantastic seats
7. Far superior interiors. Just feel special compared to the 3
8. Boot space
9. 360 cam

I’m so glad I gave the A6 another shot because once the excitement of the 3 faded, the A6 was a clear winner for me. We would have made a big mistake with the 3.

Here’s my advice, if the a6 interests you

1. Lock it in before the price hike. Negotiate hard since they will push the quarter discounts.
2. December bookings have accessories like pillows etc if that matters to you
3. Get the new my24 model. New grille, all black.
4. Ensure you go for the technology version
Zahir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 10:17   #30

After reading through the whole thread where senior BHPians poured their heart out , I can tell Beemer is the choice of the lot and I would also definitely look for a BMW car if need and ease arises . Anyways what I can tell from my experience as I see here in Bahrain 🇧🇭, we have very limited Audis here in this region , asked from a local Indian mechanic he told "audi breaks down more in this gulf region , also to arrange parts from Dubai is a nightmare " I don't know or can tell the same from India subcontinent region.
Anyways congratulations any car which you may pick or let me rephrase it The car picks you . Would be great .

Also , some interesting read, just to lighten the mood .

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/11/st...ng-road-users/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks