Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
1.5L, 3-cylinder Turbo-petrol 19 12.67%
2.0L, 4-cylinder Turbo-diesel 131 87.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2023, 22:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2023 BMW X1 | 1.5L Turbo-petrol vs 2.0L Turbo-diesel | Which engine would you choose?

How about neither? I wouldn't pay this price for an 'ultimate influencer machine' that provides lesser performance than cars 3 whole segments down.

If I wanted an X1, I would buy a used one, preferably the 2016-2019 X1 X-drive models that came with AWD and an 8 speed automatic combined with a 190hp diesel engine that was both powerful and frugal.

Here is a link to the teambhp review from 2016 so we can compare what we are missing out on today : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...po-2016-a.html (Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016)

7 years of tech and engineering improvements later, they have somehow managed to make a worse car for double the price.

Last edited by Cresterk : 18th December 2023 at 22:30.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 13:42   #17
BHPian

Re: 2023 BMW X1 | 1.5L Turbo-petrol vs 2.0L Turbo-diesel | Which engine would you choose?

It is bizarre that the outgoing engine was so much more potent than the current options. What ought to be the hottest CSUV choice in its segment is now merely a shadow of its former self.

First, it lost RWD and now gets these asthmatic engines.

Still, for the sake of being on topic. Given the choice, I would still go with the diesel. At least it has got some torque low-down. So, at least in the city, the lack of outright horsepower is not glaringly apparent.

That said, this thing, petrol or diesel, will get gapped all day, every day by Innovas, XUVs, and the like. So much so for BMW's being the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

I would like to quote my reply on the excellent T-BHP Official review of this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post

While one would be confident in saying that BMW in India is getting stepmotherly treatment, that might not entirely be the case. The fact of the matter is that the all-new X1 comes with an engine design that is at least 10 years old! Yes, the production of these B38s started way back in 2013. But BMW still sells this exact engine under the sDrive18i guise (albeit in a slightly higher tune) globally.

I think it is all the regulatory pressures like CAFE, etc. that are forcing BMW to save all the actual fun for the ///M (and perhaps, M-performance) cars.

The predecessor of this engine, the N13 (2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback), made +2 bhp and identical torque and was offered in the 116i (stock) when launched in India in 2013. This engine has one more cylinder and is infinitely more tuneable.

The highest state of tune on -

B38 in the 2022 to Current U11/12 X1 (available elsewhere in the world) = 116 kW (156 bhp)
at 4,400–6,000 rpm & 230 N⋅m (170 lb-ft) of torque.

Note: A 228bhp version of this engine does exist but with a different engine code and was built specifically to be used for the BMW i8 Coupe in tandem with its complex Hybrid powertrain. It comes with a GPF (Gasoline Particulate Filter). I doubt it is the same engine as in this new X1.

vs

N13 / N14 in the 2008 to 2014 Mini Cooper S JCW (R56) = 155 kW (211 PS; 208 hp) at 6,000 rpm & 261 N⋅m (193 lb-ft) of torque.

Note: The only difference in hardware, as per my understanding is that JCW has a less restrictive exhaust (aka Race-cat Downpipe), a slightly bigger intercooler, and a more aggressive tune.

I think BMW is in its twilight years of being the Ultimate Driving Machine. The older, regular BMWs are so much more characterful. Now for spice, we enthusiasts have to exclusively look at the ///M & M-performance cars or perhaps the older regular ones in the automotive classifieds section.

Don't get me wrong, this new X1 will sell like hotcakes despite the engines. As the review states, the power is adequate for our road and driving conditions. It also seems to have struck a good balance between ride and handling. The sethji's will love the additional space the FWD platform liberates, all the gizmos, and especially the rear adjustable and reclining seats and the massage function in the front for when they fancy a drive themselves.
Old 5th March 2024, 18:54   #18
BHPian

I test drove the 1.5 petrol and my God, this company has grown to be so over confident that they think anything will sell because of their brand name. I've always had a blast driving BMWs but this is the first time I had a completely commuter grade experience. This is just a point A to point B engine. Shockingly bad for the price it commands.

I'm pretty sure I had more fun in the XUV 300 turbo petrol than this slug.

Last edited by SaiSW : 5th March 2024 at 18:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks