Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2023, 11:09   #1

Audi S5 Vs BMW M340i Vs BMW X5

Hello. This is my first post and i am thrilled to be a part of this forum. I have been a silent observer of teambhp and it has influenced most of my purchases. Thank you for it.

This thread is to help me with my next purchase and the decision is as confusing as the title.

I am in my mid 30s and have this quench to get a "fun" car. Budget can be stretched to 1cr. The confusion starts with what car should i replace with as each has its own specific concerns.

To begin with my current garage is as follows:

- 2013 Jaguar XF 3L V6
- 2017 Octavia 1.8 TSI
- 2018 GLC 300
- 2023 Hycross ZX
- 2020 S1000rr (Much adored, under used. Everyone in my family wants me to sell it and i just might)

So the confusion starts when i considered replacing the Jaguar for a newer car. It is mostly used by my father and he is totally against it. Some fascination he has with the car and to be honest it drives well and touchwood have never faced much issues in 10 years of owning it. Since his heart is still in that car i let go of the plans to sell it momentarily.

Octavia has been my favourite since day 1 and i still enjoy it everytime i drive it. But the gearbox problems have started creeping up from past 3-4 months and i might consider selling it or just keep it for occasional use. One regret i live to this day is not spending a few lacs more then and buying a VRS when it was available.

GLC is my daily driver and to be honest its neither a here nor there car. Not a full blown SUV neither a fun car to drive. I intended to buy a Fortuner then but got a deal i could not refuse and bought the GLC. If i sell this car the next car i buy will be a daily driver.

Hycross the most used car in the family right now. This car is used by everyone in the family and no complaints whatsoever. Be it kids school shuffle, wife's daily commute or my frequent Mumbai trips are all in this car. A good driver and an Innova is probably the best combination in India. I have even given a wild thought of just getting another Hycross

So now i have listed the issues on what to sell, the car to buy is as confusing.

As i have said i need a fun car to drive for myself. Like the "if not now then when" moment. Practicality can take a back seat and i am inclined to replace the GLC for it. For when need arises i do have the hycross. When i bought the S1000rr it was supposed to be for this thrill moments but work and family life has not been able to give me the desired time with the bike. With a car atleast it can be fun commuting or family getaways.

X5
I considered the new X5 M40i loved the car but the price and the size were a detterent. Ill face parking issues for the daily commutes, can use the Octavia but then wife doesnt want such a big car for herself. Also when i think about it i dont really see a need for a full size SUV other than it giving a vibe of a "BIG CAR". If i actually intend to use it the way SUV is meant to be used id rather get a Thar or Fortuner.

M340i
Loved the sleeper car look, i can just park at any random roadside parking and it wont catch the eye. Loved the way it drove but the suspensions felt rather stiff and uncomfortable. Dampers would have been ideal but with the way it is right now i am contemplating and have put it on shortlist.

S5
I saw this car and it was love. Drove well, sounded amazing and overall seems like a good package except the price. Some discount can be expected but cant go close to M340. Also the spy shots of upcoming S5 is playing on my mind and hence hindering a purchase.

Ioniq5/Ev6
Such lovely machines almost perfect. I really considered them to replace the Skoda. Just little things could have made them perfect and thats what is a barrier to leap over. Ev6 drives so good and looks like a dream, 70 lacs for it and the interior is rather average for that price. Ioniq has better interiors and was pleasantly surprised with the way it looked when i say it upfront. But the drive is Ok, nothing causes a thrill like an EV should. Infact i felt the new Nexon Ev drives better.

I saw the IX too, loved the way it looked and drove but the horrible range was a setback.

Apologies for this long ramble, i just intended to speak my thoughts out loud and hope i have been clear enough as to what the dilemma is. Should i just trade the GLC for S5 and shuffle between that and octavia for daily use? Save 15 lacs get the M340 who nobody in the family likes and keep it all for myself? Get an EV now OR should i just shut up and sit down quietly and await the plethora of EV's that will launch by 2025 and take a pick then? Wont i miss out the best of the "ICE AGE" if i do that??

LOL hope i have not confused you as much and do hope for some advice or suggestions for any other car as well which i could consider. Could just be Eureka moment for me.

Last edited by GTO : 20th December 2023 at 13:02. Reason: No abusive language, not even indirectly
Rahul_ak is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 19:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Audi S5 Vs BMW M340i Vs BMW X5

This is a wonderful dilemma to have considering the aspirational budget you have. Out of the cars and use cases, I would suggest that you replace the GLC with its lack of wow factor or the XF if it is a diesel V6. Both the cars also have unreasonably high cost of parts and a.s.s. the XF might be a ticking bomb. We sold ours after 5 years of ownership. Even my dad loved it but somehow I was able to convince him to replace it with a KIA CARNIVAL for his office commute since he keeps a driver.

As for what to get, I would definitely not recommend the Koreans (kept the EV6 over a weekend and the poor quality of parts got to me quickly) or the X5 since you are in your YOLO moment. You may want to check out the VOLVO C40. The power is exciting and overall build quality is par for the course and price.

I have shortlisted the C40 for the EV choice and the 340I for the ICE choice. There's a difference of roughly 20L between the two and have left the final call to fate. I prefer the EV but the rapid changes in technology make me skirmish as better might be just around the corner. The 340I feels so wonderfully taut and celebrated that if they were priced the same it is what I would get. But the price is substantially higher even though in USA they are comparable. Don't like to overpay even if there's a budget for it.

Still not pulled the trigger on either for myself and I believe either one would make anyone glee like a happy kid.

Last edited by nmn.070 : 19th December 2023 at 19:51.
nmn.070 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 22:07   #3
BHPian

Welcome to teambhp.

M340i is my pick.

My daily driver is the S5, I couldn’t recommend it enough but for the 340i. The Bimer has a slightly higher ground clearance, not that S5 is terrible to live with but the Bimer is better. It’s also newer and better value.

I have had X5s for almost 9 years over 2 gens and driven a rented current gen for over 3 weeks cooking over a 1000km and TDed the X5 40i. Firstly it’s a big SUV, take it to the mountains and it will remind you that even BMW’s cannot defy physics, yes it will drive better than a Q7 or a GLE but an Octy vRS will run circles around the X5. Yes, the petrol motor on the X5 is seriously engaging, but any day a sports sedan wins the fun aspect…especially one with the same engine.

Last edited by 316kmph : 19th December 2023 at 22:09. Reason: Missed a word
316kmph is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 06:13   #4
BANNED

Hey dude, welcome to the forum!

First of all, be clear what car you are going to replace. If I was given a choice, I'd gladly replace the XF, Octavia or the GLC. Reasons below:

1) XF: Car has aged gracefully. 10 years is all a British machine can take. Any more than that will start leeching on your pocket

2) Octavia: You are looking for a car mainly used by you right? Then why need a car that is already with you? Sell is and 'replace' it with another.

3) GLC: We BHPians strongly believe that any car that we drive should always give us smiles, be it a Rs. 7 lakh Alto, or a 1.5 crore X7. If you don't like driving such a car, it is best to sell it and move on.

Now, some extra options:

1) AMG C43: Brilliant car to drive, smoking performance and a more plusher ride when compared to M340i. Premium interiors and a slew of ADAS features make it a comfortable yet sporty car capable of doing 0-100 in 4.XX seconds. Not sure why you have not seen this car. This might be the best alternative to the M340i.

2) BMW 6GT: Amazing car in the BMW stable, more plusher interiors when compared to M340i, RWD, crazy acceleration, end of life cycle means more discounts and offers (even though end of life cycle, it is one of a kind). If you want a sleeper family cruiser which roars to life on sport mode, then this is the car.

3) Porsche Macan: I have never come across anyone who wants to buy an ICE car under 1 crore but not considered the Macan. Why?? It is a bonkers car, with the true Porsche DNA along with modern gimmicks. Moreover, the Porsche badge has more snob value than a BMW or the 3-pointed star in India.

4) BMW X3 M40i: When X5 is too large and X1 is too small, you settle for the X3. The M40i configuration makes it more appealing and sexy. And in that Black shade, it is true wolf in sheep's clothing. Take a test drive and see if this size is okay for you.

Hope this helps you!
mgastor2022grey is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 10:23   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

- Keep the Jaguar only because your Dad loves it. A well-maintained 10-year old car still has another 5 years of healthy life in it.

- Sell the GLC. The last-gen GLC was among the most boring cars I've ever driven. You'll get a decent price because of Mercedes' frequent price hikes.

- Go test-drive the BMW M340i and X3 M40i. The latter solves the price & size issues you have with the X5. Between the two, pick whichever makes you grin the most . X3 will be better for road-tripping (although you have other cars for that) and gets adaptive suspension.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 11:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

I would sell the Octavia if I were in your place. The Jag if your dad loves, keep it since it would have a few years more of life left. The GLC is only 5 years old, and is reasonably practical.

If the M340 is too stiff, check out the X3 M40i, which can be had at discounts of up to 10l which would then make it a value proposition against the X5. Also with adaptive dampers the ride will be better than the M340i.
Akshay1234 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 12:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Except for the Audi, I have no personal driving experience the others cars you've listed. BMW has definitely taken the game forward with the M340i. That said, the Audi will stand out with its coupe like profile. Its unmistakable on the road.

My only complaint with the S5 is the not so great steering. Its typical Audi. Not really communicative. As far as the putting down power, its brilliant and has a nice sound track to go with it. You can keep the car pinned hard into a wide sweeping bend and you'll be amazed at the way it takes it. To be experienced. The low stance also helps reduce the feel of body roll. Its a stellar vehicle except that Audi have not done much in the engine department, compared to the previous 2017 version.

I'm not sure if wagons are sold in India. If you can take a look at the all new RS6, that will be fantastic option to add to the mix. A super fast and agile family hauler. I've not seen a disc brake as big as the one fitted to this car, on any car.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 18:59   #8
BHPian

I don't really see a confusion here.

If you decide on the S5/M340i, then the S1000rr has to go. Those sedans will provide all the fun you need. (you can also then sell the octavia, as it will no longer be fun, once you have driven these)

If you decide to get the X3/X5, then the GLC has to go.
Haze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 08:57   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaguar and Hycross are good to stay.

Octavia is a fun car, you already like it. It should be cheap to own even if you have to fix the gearbox in future. Your new car insurance alone will be 2-3L! To spend 1Cr to replace Octavia that you like only to buy another 4-door fast family sedan doesn't make a compelling case IMHO. I would bid my time, wait till I am bored of it and replace it+bike with something for kicks.

That leaves GLC as the ideal candidate for replacement. Volvo C40 would be a great option. Lots to be excited about and the curious kid in you would enjoy the new world of EV. Volvo won't disappoint you in terms of build quality and looks. It will make a great daily driver and look cool doing it. One can say it's better to wait for more mature EVs but I would say by then it will be a borefest - a bit like owning a Mercedes in 1980s where you were the coolest cat in town vs in 2020s where it's just another car on the road.

Or just go with what feels right to you. It's impossible to be disappointed by any car in this budget range. Status quo is also good, you have a good garage
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 10:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ak View Post
Wont i miss out the best of the "ICE AGE" if I do that??
If you want to take advantage of the last of the ICE age, you need to go for the best possible car that's within your budget.

You already have a thumping great V6 in your garage. So, the BMWs and the Audis won't feel like they are in a different league altogether.

If you can increase your budget, possibly by selling more than one vehicle, you could think about going for a car in a different league. Personally, I'd be looking at the 911 Carrera T.

The following garage would be very hard to beat:

1. XF 3L V6
2. Carrera T
3. Hycross

From the saner options, as others have suggested, the X3 M40i seems to be the standout for me.

Last edited by buzzy_boy : 21st December 2023 at 10:11.
buzzy_boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 10:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hycross the most used car in the family right now. This car is used by everyone in the family and no complaints whatsoever. Be it kids school shuffle, wife's daily commute or my frequent Mumbai trips are all in this car. A good driver and an Innova is probably the best combination in India. I have even given a wild thought of just getting another Hycross
As a Hycross owner myself, I also have the same thought of just getting another Hycross, as it’s that good all-rounder, but the only problem at the end of the day is its size.
If you are in no hurry then why not wait for the next-gen Fortuner?
It looks like you have gotten bored of GLC, trade it in for a BMW of your choice you will enjoy it as a daily.
manofinfinity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 11:09   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
M340i
Loved the sleeper car look, i can just park at any random roadside parking and it wont catch the eye. Loved the way it drove but the suspensions felt rather stiff and uncomfortable.
It's the Runflats. Switch to tubeless and all the above pre-purchase reservations will be dealt with. All the best
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 11:49   #13

2013 Jaguar XF 3L V6 : This is a creamy diesel (like a 530d) with a comfortable ride quality. Hold onto it as long as you can by maintaining it with a reputed independent garage.
2017 Octavia 1.8 TSI : This power delivery of the 1.8 TSI is punchier than the linear 2.0TSI we get these days. With a stage 1 mod, this car will be a true delight to drive. While reliability may be a concern, maintenance costs won't strain your wallet.
2018 GLC 300 : This can go and make way for an X3 M40i. You should replace an SUV in the garage only with an SUV.
2023 Hycross ZX : The ottoman seats take care of your luxury needs and this is the car to be chauffeur driven in at all times.
2020 S1000RR : (Much adored, under used. Everyone in my family wants me to sell it and i just might) : You got to use it more. Find biking communities or bhpians in the city.
Old 21st December 2023, 12:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph View Post

My daily driver is the S5, I couldn’t recommend it enough but for the 340i.
Wow getting that from an S5 user surely makes a strong case for the M340i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post
1) AMG C43: Brilliant car to drive, smoking performance and a more plusher ride when compared to M340i. Premium interiors and a slew of ADAS features make it a comfortable yet sporty car capable of doing 0-100 in 4.XX seconds. Not sure why you have not seen this car. This might be the best alternative to the M340i.

2) BMW 6GT: Amazing car in the BMW stable, more plusher interiors when compared to M340i, RWD, crazy acceleration, end of life cycle means more discounts and offers (even though end of life cycle, it is one of a kind). If you want a sleeper family cruiser which roars to life on sport mode, then this is the car.

3) Porsche Macan: I have never come across anyone who wants to buy an ICE car under 1 crore but not considered the Macan. Why?? It is a bonkers car, with the true Porsche DNA along with modern gimmicks. Moreover, the Porsche badge has more snob value than a BMW or the 3-pointed star in India.

4) BMW X3 M40i: When X5 is too large and X1 is too small, you settle for the X3. The M40i configuration makes it more appealing and sexy. And in that Black shade, it is true wolf in sheep's clothing. Take a test drive and see if this size is okay for you.

Hope this helps you!
I did drive the C43. It drove well and the interiors were probably the best of the lot but a 2L engine for that price was a downer. Also the fake exhaust note was like making a mockery of the situation, more so when you compare to the other 2.

6GT na too old and end of the cycle made me give it a pass.

Macan i did a TD of 2L engine option. Nothing too interesting but smooth nonetheless and the 3L option was touching 1.5cr with the add ons, a bit of a stretch as of now.

X3 i did the test drive but it felt old and not much of an upgrade over the GLC in terms of size and interiors. For some reason i felt X5 drove better and more fun probably cause of the mild hybrid giving it an instant boost. If i have to go for a SUV i would rather stretch my budget for the X5. Did not get to see the X4 but even the sales reprentative was like for 10 lacs more you could just get the X5 over X4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Keep the Jaguar only because your Dad loves it. A well-maintained 10-year old car still has another 5 years of healthy life in it.
That surely seems like the case as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
If you want to take advantage of the last of the ICE age, you need to go for the best possible car that's within your budget.

You already have a thumping great V6 in your garage. So, the BMWs and the Audis won't feel like they are in a different league altogether.

If you can increase your budget, possibly by selling more than one vehicle, you could think about going for a car in a different league. Personally, I'd be looking at the 911 Carrera T.

The following garage would be very hard to beat:

1. XF 3L V6
2. Carrera T
3. Hycross

From the saner options, as others have suggested, the X3 M40i seems to be the standout for me.
Carerra would be a dream but hardly any options in used marker and a new is far fetched

I had considered to get a poll since i thought there couldnt be a clear choice but looking at the responses M340i is the clear winner, speaks a lot for BMW and the car. Now only if S5 wasnt soo freaking good looking id have been probably driving a beemer right now.
GLC has to go and guess ill get another back to back TD of M340i and S5 and make my pick.
Rahul_ak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 16:39   #15
BANNED

Quote:
I did drive the C43. It drove well and the interiors were probably the best of the lot but a 2L engine for that price was a downer. Also the fake exhaust note was like making a mockery of the situation, more so when you compare to the other 2.
Man, add the Mercedes to your list too!! Trust me, you can live with the fake exhaust note. And the capacity (in L) of an engine does not determine its performance much. M340i = 369 bhp while C43 = 402 bhp! And that electronic turbo will definitely boost your driving style.

Resale will also appreciate (as in case of my friend's old C43: bought for 69 lakhs during discounts and sold for 70.3 lakhs after 2 years in 2019).
mgastor2022grey is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks