Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2024, 08:28   #1
BHPian

Need advice for someone who loves driving, but doesn’t | 1-crore SUV

I am a 50-year-old doctor, well-settled both professionally and financially. Currently, I own a 5-year-old Tiguan with only 25,000 km on it. Given my daily commute involves walking to the hospital, I rarely drive, particularly disliking crowded city driving, especially at night. For monthly night drives to the city, I opt for a taxi. Due to my preferences and low mileage, I plan to keep my Tiguan for at least another year, maximum two.
Now, I'm beginning my search for a new vehicle and would appreciate input from all of you.
I prefer SUVs over sedans, although I had a Mitsubishi Lancer more than 15 years ago in the Middle East. However, I'm open to change. As I always drive myself and have no need for backseat space, that's not a priority. The new car should be petrol or, ideally, a hybrid since I don't have charging provisions in my apartment. The on-road price should be below 1 crore, and I prioritize value for money over brand loyalty. I'm not keen on oversized SUVs; it can be slightly larger than the Tiguan, but not excessively so.
I've considered Lexus based on limited research. Are any of the German brands comparable or perhaps better?

I appreciate your insights and recommendations.
Sree is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 09:02   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Need advice for someone who loves driving, but doesn’t | 1-crore SUV

You are lucky enough to be walking to work & not having a nasty daily commute. Your Tiguan appears to be in like-new condition and you should definitely keep it for as long as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree View Post
The on-road price should be below 1 crore, and I prioritize value for money over brand loyalty.
Since you still have a year or two to go, it's hard to make specific recommendations. There can & will be new models coming.

But since you love to drive, aren't big on size and don't want an EV, I would suggest something like the X3 M40i to you. There's also the Q7 which is well-priced (due to discounts) and has a great engine. Since your driving is low, you could take a risk with Land Rover's reliability and consider the Defender; it's way too sexy and has unmatched allure (test-drive it and you're hooked). In case your budget increases, a Porsche Macan is simply perfect for you; fun to drive, short on space.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 09:57   #3
Team-BHP Support

This is literally a shortlist of one for me. The X3 M40i. Preferably wait till it comes in the all new generation in 2024 / 25 so that you have the latest iteration. The current one is really beginning to look outdated.

Its perfectly sized for being self driven, it’ll be an absolute pleasure to drive when you do - fuel efficiency is not a concern, and I have a strong feeling this one will leave you looking for excuses to drive more often than you currently do - just for the smile it’ll bring to your face when hitting an open road.

Amongst the Germans, IMO BMWs are the most reliable and easy to hold for a very long duration so it’s the perfect long term enthusiast’s car.
Axe77 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 10:06   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It is not easy to predict what the premium compact SUV scene will be two years from now, the market and technology is changing so quickly. From the current crop of cars, the BMW X3 M40i stands out. But you might be tempted by the new breed of electric vehicles coming in. All it takes is one spin in a Volvo C40, and the Germans start feeling lazy. I will personally find it very hard to justify spending big money on a fast depreciating and ‘more of the same as a decade ago’ ICE car, when I can get supercar performance with an EV for the same price. Unless there is a specific requirement for long distance cross country touring. And once you go electric, there is no looking back.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th January 2024 at 10:26. Reason: Fixed model name.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 09:48   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
This is literally a shortlist of one for me. The X3 M40i. Preferably wait till it comes in the all new generation in 2024 / 25 so that you have the latest iteration. The current one is really beginning to look outdated.
I doubt if we will get the next generation X3 in the M40i guise in India, especially one with lhe 3 litre B58 engine. Due to tightening CAFE regulations in India and similar regulation elsewhere, automakers are downsizing their engines rapidly and switching to electric and plug in hybrids. The new 5 series does not yet get a 3 litre petrol or diesel engine anywhere globally, even 6 months after launch. The most powerful 5 series offered is, the M60, which is fully electric.

If one is really keen on the power and driving pleasure of the current M40i vehicles, it may be wise to get the M340i or the X3M40i now and keep them for a long time.
84.monsoon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 12:30   #6
BHPian

I agree and one should not wait for newer models. Better to buy the M340i or the X3 M 40i just as they are now since most likely in the future we may not get them, and have some hybrid systems with a lower power ice engine to meet emissions. The right time is always now if you have the cash!

Last edited by KKapadia : 14th January 2024 at 12:31. Reason: Spelling
KKapadia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 12:59   #7
BHPian

Given what you have said about your situation - age, finance, and backseat I suggest a single statement to go by - if not now, when. Do not try to over-optimize on the latest model and features. Go ahead and buy NOW. "Kal kare so aaj kar, aaj kare so ab pal mein palle hogi, bahuri karega kab"
I am not an expert on that price range but here is how I would pick from what people are suggesting:
Sensible - X3 M40i
Unique - Defender
Once in a lifetime - Macan

Wish you the best.
naikameya is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 13:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I am a 50-year-old doctor, well-settled both professionally and financially. Currently, I own a 5-year-old Tiguan with only 25,000 km on it. Given my daily commute involves walking to the hospital, I rarely drive, particularly disliking crowded city driving, especially at night. For monthly night drives to the city, I opt for a taxi. Due to my preferences and low mileage, I plan to keep my Tiguan for at least another year, maximum two.
Now, I'm beginning my search for a new vehicle and would appreciate input from all of you.
I prefer SUVs over sedans, although I had a Mitsubishi Lancer more than 15 years ago in the Middle East. However, I'm open to change. As I always drive myself and have no need for backseat space, that's not a priority. The new car should be petrol or, ideally, a hybrid since I don't have charging provisions in my apartment. The on-road price should be below 1 crore, and I prioritize value for money over brand loyalty. I'm not keen on oversized SUVs; it can be slightly larger than the Tiguan, but not excessively so.
I've considered Lexus based on limited research. Are any of the German brands comparable or perhaps better?

I appreciate your insights and recommendations.
That's a good dilemma to be in and looks like the universe is conspiring to make your love for cars / SUVs come true as both the X3 M40i and X4 M40i has really good deals going on them with the latter almost fetching 12L+ discount on the ex showroom. Either of these with BSI package which are fool proof vaccination which will take care of anything that may go south.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 14:01   #9
BHPian

I agree with most. Go for the X3 or X4 M40i. You will enjoy the drives. Defender is a bit too big and 4 pot in lower variant and Macan is way too expensive for a 4 cylinder base model. With M40i you will get the fabulous 6 cylinder engine. I have just posted a mini review of it today.
XDriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 07:28   #10
BHPian

The keyword is 'settled'. Eventhough X3 M340i will be the one that will make you grin every time push the pedal it's a bit older compared to GLC which was just launched after refresh. You should consider both, test drive and decide. GLC is an accomplished all rounder and even it's sports mode is no match for the M but everything else - snob value, grandeur of the cabin setup, matured ride quality trumps M easily. If you want the best engine it's M and if you want the matured luxury go for GLC 300D 4 Matic. With a little bit of smart haggling you should get some discount or a service package free and a corporate discount being a doc.

Last edited by sgmuser : 15th January 2024 at 07:38. Reason: Typo
Old 15th January 2024, 08:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There's also the Q7 which is well-priced (due to discounts) and has a great engine.
GTO, recently was looking for Q7. The discounts were not great as most of Q7s were sold out. Around 5L on ex-showroom discount was average and best was 7L for MY 23 and Model year 23

Last edited by ssateesh : 15th January 2024 at 09:00.
Old 15th January 2024, 09:27   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am a 50-year-old doctor.The new car should be petrol or, ideally, a hybrid since I don't have charging provisions in my apartment.
I've considered Lexus based on limited research.
Stick with RX or NX. Both can be in your budget, give or take some lakhs. The interiors of most German cars are poor in comparison to Lexus, and unfortunately, we cannot change standard builds. Both of the models are new and will be trouble-free and you are going to love the built and surface finishes.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 09:58   #13
BHPian

Good morning Doc,
I'll stick my head out, and suggest you to get 2 car's, a hybrid luxury sedan and a showoff SUV. Both Toyota's, having lived in the Gulf/ME, you'll know the positives of owning a Toyota.

Toyota Camry hybrid for city run about, and a Fortuner for highway runs. Both if bought together or staggered will fall in your budget.

Happy shopping.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 12:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Good morning Doc,
I'll stick my head out, and suggest you to get 2 car's, a hybrid luxury sedan and a showoff SUV. Both Toyota's, having lived in the Gulf/ME, you'll know the positives of owning a Toyota.

bought together or staggered will fall in your budget.

Happy shopping.

Jimny Alpha AT for city
Mini countryman
Rest of the money can be splurged on kitting them out to the max! FUN.

My dad recently got operated , his doctor used to come to hospital in a Porsche Boxster with open top!

Last edited by silverado : 15th January 2024 at 12:09.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 16:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I own a 5-year-old Tiguan with only 25,000 km on it.

The on-road price should be below 1 crore, and I prioritize value for money over brand loyalty.
This is a good problem to have. But I'm sorry to say, you're not using your Tiguan enough. Remap it, spruce it up with beautiful wheels and tyres and go on long drives!

But if you've decided to buy another car, and you don't drive a lot, it makes more sense to buy used. You good get some really exotic used cars like Porsches for the price of a new BMW!
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks