BYD Seal 146 69.52%
BMW X1 34 16.19%
Other (please specify in your post) 30 14.29%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2024, 11:06   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need Advice: Choosing between the BMW X1 & BYD Seal

BYD Seal is a phenomenal car that you don't need.

As X1 is universally acknowledged as unimpressive in both spec and pricing, I suggest you look at other alternatives.
androdev is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 11:16   #17
BHPian

As others have rightly pointed out, the BMW X1 or pretty much all entry level luxury cars in the market make a mockery out of the uninformed buyer who badly wants some badge value.

Pretty much every high end vehicle from mainstream-premium brands such as the Skoda Kodiaq, Hyundai IONIQ 5 and BYD Seal are better in almost every aspect than these entry level “luxury” offerings such as the BMW 2, BMW X1 and Mercedes A which are overpriced beyond comprehension.

Coming to the BYD Seal, I noticed that it offers a fantastic build and interior quality, almost on par with the German big 3 with a very solid feel and premium materials all around. Of course, paired with a 530hp 670nm AWD powertrain and good dynamics, you’re basically getting a cheaper M340i, S5 or C43 rather than something that is remotely comparable with entry level luxury offerings. Real world range of 400-500Km for the range topping variant as tested abroad should also be a relief.

Need Advice: Choosing between the BMW X1 & BYD Seal-img_7390.jpeg
Need Advice: Choosing between the BMW X1 & BYD Seal-img_7391.jpeg
Need Advice: Choosing between the BMW X1 & BYD Seal-img_7394.jpeg

If outright performance and driving dynamics are not your cup of tea, take a look at cars like the Hyundai IONIQ 5, Volvo XC40/C40 Recharge Twins and the Kia EV6 which are not as VFM as the BYD but offer more practicality.

Need Advice: Choosing between the BMW X1 & BYD Seal-img_3839.jpegNeed Advice: Choosing between the BMW X1 & BYD Seal-img_7061.jpegNeed Advice: Choosing between the BMW X1 & BYD Seal-img_5776.jpeg

I’d personally go with the Seal Performance as the ground clearance compromise is worth the gain in driving dynamics in a low slung sedan. I could manage just fine over 95% of obstacles with my BMW 530d.
Kevinrevvz is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 13:21   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

A better comparison would be with the BMW iX1. Yes, it is more expensive than the X1 but it would then be an EV-to-EV comparison. The iX1 has a much stronger powertrain and is very well received globally.
84.monsoon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 16:49   #19
BHPian

Don't go for BYD, reasons:

Quite many international reports/documentaries on online platforms regarding issues with BYD EVs. Don't fall for features, tech, performance you are getting for the money trap.

BMW X1:
1. Yes it is quite expensive for the offering at present times. Only go for it, if you specifically like the X1 among any other options in your budget.

Not being able to suggest any other options as well, the way prices are increasing, most of the current offerings feel like overpriced :-).

If open to used car route, maybe a couple of years old, BMW from a higher platform is the answer,

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th March 2024 at 21:32. Reason: Please keep the criticism objective.
arighna.dutta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 17:45   #20
BHPian

Voted Other

BMW X1 has already deservedly got enough flak, so will not list the innumerable compromises you will make with that car.

BYD Seal is a terrific car but we have no idea how long India will allow BYD to continue selling in India. Their proposal of setting up factory was already rejected. Also, there are no indications of India - China relations improving significantly anytime soon. 50 lacs is a lot of money to risk on a brand with suspect future in India - and electric cars are not easily repaired or maintained in your local FNG.

My vote is for Audi Q3 or Q5 depending on whether you want to spend a little bit more or less compared to your budget for X1. Audi A6 also isn't too far off in terms of the price point. Any of these 3 cars will blow away the petrol X1 in the rear view mirror and will also offer quality interiors in a silent cabin.

Unfortunately can't say "you can't go wrong with any of your options" !
soarersc300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 23:45   #21
BHPian

Unapologetically adding to the BMW flak here - offering 134 & 148 HP engines at 60-65 lacs otr is honestly disrespectful to consumers. The design or external appearance of the current X1 isn't the best its been (in my opinion, subjective), and while the features are good they're nothing extraordinary. As GTO said, the X1 would be a good car at 40-50 lacs, just not the range it's being offered at right now.

Quote:
the BMW X1 represents the quintessential luxury SUV experience with a high sense of ownership and prestige attached to the famed brand.
Mate no offence but I wouldn't speak that highly of the X1 or even the GLA /Q3 despite owning one myself. The quintessential luxury SUV experience is something found on Q5/X5/GLE or higher models. The X1, Q3 etc is where that experience starts manifesting itself in the form of quality, driving dynamics etc and the X1 fails at that too.

On that note, why not consider a Q3? Audi offers good discounts as well if you know how to negotiate. Ultimately I'd say go for the BYD Seal if these 2 cars are your final choices, I think the design is quite nice and the price at which it's being offered is impressive. Only concerns would be pan-India EV charging infrastructure and a brand which hasn't been proven that well in India.
sh3lby is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 06:40   #22
BHPian

Can you drive the Seal very slowly over moderate and high speed breakers? Are you comfortable with the height after test driving it - do not buy it without a test drive from your home to office, and return journey

Have you considered the GLA? X1 I believe lacks 360 degree cam and is not very fast
vivekrvcse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 07:12   #23
BHPian

I'd vote for neither if there was an option but since there isn't, I'd have to say X1.

I cannot advise buying a BYD in India (even less than i'd advise someone buying a Diesel car in Delhi-NCR). It's a Chinese brand and you never know when the nationalist wind starts to blow the other way. Couple that with it being a new entrant and that too of an EV. I'd wait at least 2 years.

X1 has its drawbacks but if you're just considering these two, I'd say go for the X1. It's an amazingly engaging vehicle. The 130 bhp is fine, its nothing to write home about but the tuning of the engine with the turbo mid range won't disappoint you. Volvo's XC40 recharge, if you're open to it, might be a much better bet than these two.

Good luck
fastestindian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 09:01   #24
BHPian

Your requirements:-
Dream of owning a luxury vehicle - Concern for ground clearance- open to both sedan and SUV forms
Means X1. I am a very agile driver on highways and I can tell you that what you require for a thrilling highway drive is the linear power delivery, which X1 gives you. You don’t require more than 136 horses in the real world to enjoy highway driving in Bharat.
For city drives, X1 is more manageable owing to its size and being an SUV it has its natural advantages too.
CArspeed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 10:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiPrakash View Post
Considering the terrible roads in NCR, not sure if lower ground clearance of SEAL will live upto the mark.

Another concern is that SEAL might limit my ability to take it beyond city or to road trips considering the roads arent really good once we deviate from highways.
The Seal is the better car of the lot as everyone has said. However, as a friend of mine who recently bought the X1 petrol in NCR said - if you want the badge and practicality, the X1 is alright. It's not like you'd buy your 1st 50L+ car and floor the A- pedal at every chance.

Given your practicality concerns, if you're not very inclined towards the BMW, you can also look at
Atto3, ionic 5: The money you save (both on purchase and fuel) can be kept for any future EV uncertainty.
Tiguan/ Kodiaq: The awd + DSG + spacious interior should seal the deal. The new Kodiaq is yet another looker and should you be lucky enough that they bring the hybrid to India, there's nothing better.
Auto_guy_101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 12:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Having always dreamed of owning a luxury vehicle, I find myself at a crossroads, weighing ownership costs, brand value, and the evolving landscape of EV infrastructure in India.

On one hand, the BMW X1 represents the quintessential luxury SUV experience with a high sense of ownership and prestige attached to the famed brand.
Quote:
Diesel is a no go. So i a, looking for the petrol version of x1. I understand that the car is severely underpowered for its price but the drive quality is still good for the regular city commute. 90% usage will be in the city and considering the speed limits, not sure if i should settle for this power. Ofcourse the badge value is much higher than BYD.
Quote:
Agreed. Being my first big car purchase, I am just super cautious of the decision that I make.
Considering the terrible roads in NCR, not sure if lower ground clearance of SEAL will live upto the mark.
Considering the above points, have you considered the Mini Countryman. Priced similar to X1, but way more cooler .
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 13:24   #27

Hey Guys, checked out and test drove the all new BYD Seal. I was under the same dilemma because at that price point lot of options open up for you.
I checked out Camry as well and it's really difficult to choose which one.
I'll put my reasons why I'll pick or not pick any of the following

Camry
Pros
Pratical
Super Economical Hybrid
Comfortable
Best Backseat experience
Low Maintenance
Toyota Reliability
Cons
Average Interiors
Low GC

X1
Pros
Badge Value
Crossover SUVish
Great Interiors
Feeling of Owning Something which many desire
Cons
Not at all value for Money
Heavy on pocket
High maintenance
Less power
Fit and Finish decent at best

BYD Seal
Pros
Supercar like feel
Exceptional Built Quality ( feel the doors thud)
Unmatched Power even in mid variant
Tons of features which may even put a merc or BMW levels above to shame
Low maintenance
Practically 0 running costs
Interiors are killer ( Trust Me )
Head Turner
Cons
Low GC (very) however suspension is stiff hence when I took it to some medium size potholes it did not scrape.
Not a car for everywhere, i can't think of taking it to mountains
Price vs badge maybe

What I am picking -
BYD Seal because
1) I already have couple of cars and satisfied with the badges in my garage
2) Always wanted a sports car and this is the right thing
3) In a long time at this price point, I have found a perfect VFM car. Kudos to BYD
4) This will complete my Garage.

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th March 2024 at 13:28.
Ayush_atish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 13:38   #28
BHPian

Seal vs X1 - Seal it is. X1 is name sake car from BMW. If you want a true BMW experience, spend extra and get the 3. And since you are ok with sedan, the 3 will give you what you want and more. Badge value of BMW is definitely better than BYD in India, but thats how BMW takes its customers for a ride. In the developed countries, the importance of BMW badge value is the least important. In today's literate and smart global citizen world, we should not let BMW do this to us.

Alternatively, the other petrol/EV options you should consider are EV6, Ioniq 5, C40, A4, Q3, Q5 (ask for a better deal), Tiguan, Kodiaq, Tucson, etc. Simply not the X1. Period.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 20th March 2024 at 13:42.
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 16:52   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for other. I'd suggest not to buy any EV right now. The new EV manufacturing policy will probably radically change the entire pricing and positioning structure especially in the luxury segment.

Hold off if you can.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 17:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Voted for X1. It may be under powered on paper, but I think it has enough to satisfy an average city driver. It still can accelerate to 100 under 10 seconds, is small enough to roam around in the city and has the brand value to grace fully arrive on events/occasions. I don't see what more one needs in a city car.

I have never understood the logic of recommending a Creta/Seltos to someone aspiring to buy a BMW. That logo in the front makes a huge difference and even common people can identify it a cursory look. My 60 year old mom or 70 year old paternal aunt can differentiate a BMW and Hyundai. If they can, almost everyone in the road can and there is a certain 'successful image' associated with it. BYD or the Koreans can not provide that. If I am in this dilemma, I will go for the BMW. I don't think the time is right yet to buy an EV as the primary car of the house.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 20th March 2024 at 17:28.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks