Other (please specify in your post) 30 14.29%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2024, 15:11   #61
BHPian

Re: Need Advice: Choosing between the BMW X1 & BYD Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I made a small investment in a fleet operator with 75 BYD-6's and are scaling up. They have no issues except the odd electrical niggle.
Shoffr represent. Love the service and the founders even more! Solid folks!
Old 2nd April 2024, 10:07   #62
BHPian

Dear Mani

Last week , while my wife and daughter were away on a short vacay, I dropped by BYD showroom in Gurgaon casually to check all the hype about Seal . 5 min in the showroom.and 10 min test drive blew me away and I ended up booking the car . I had no plans of buying an EV and that to Chinese Brad in the current geopolitical situation. But driving the car for 10 min and the overall package literally changed everything .

I drive a Superb currently which has a ground clearance of 149 mm and Seal has a GC of 145 . I did drive it over few speed breakers and potholes and surprisingly it cleared it without any scrapping .

I have been waiting for all new Kodiaq but it seems it won't come to India before Sept 2025 . I did check out Q5 , A6 in the showroom next to BYD gurgaon but after seeing seal none of these cars looked that appealing .

I haven't told my family about by booking of Seal yet . I would be taking them to showroom over this weekend to show them the car and take their opinion . High chances of them rejecting it outright as they haven't even heard of BYD yet . My wife being a private banker would defintely insist on going for established, tried and tested brand .

Glad I saw this page today and the poll result has astounding approval rate of 65% and above .

Before my family sees the car , I have few niggling questions in the mind :-

1. How would all glass car top handle Indian summer ? Met dept has already announced severe heat wave this summer.

2. What happens to the roof of car falls topsy turvy ? Will the galss roof be able to withstand the impact and weight? How safe would it be for the passengers? I had a terrible accident few years back on my Chevrolet Cruze where my car fell upside down after the accident . But I came out totally unscathed . Sharing the pic for your reference .

3. Those black blinds shown by the sales staff were very tacky. Not easy to fit through . What if we are travellign with those blinds and want to remove it midway , where will we keep them ?

4. Under thigh support and upright position of legs for the back passenger is a challenge . For outstation or long drive won't the rear passenger feel fatigued in that sitting position ?

5. Post poll govt is most likely to announce a new policy for EV manufacturing in India . Duties may come down to as low as 15% on EV. Won't that bring down the Seal's price by 10-15 lakh ? How about waltiing for few more months and then taking a call .

Lastly , it's not easy for early adapter's to take that risk and leap of faith for 50L OTR car . But the thrill of owning a vehicle before it gets adopted by public at large and enjoying the sheer power of Seal would be just another level .

I have opted for Black/Grey color but things may change if my family approves it . Next frontier to conquer post approval would be color choice ....

Will keep sharing the update .

Hope to get some valuable inputs on the questions posted by me above .

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiPrakash View Post
Hello fellow automobile enthusiasts,

Thank you in advance for your guidance and for sharing your experiences!
Attached Thumbnails
Need Advice: Choosing between the BMW X1 & BYD Seal-20240402_095719.jpg  

i_nv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 00:06   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_nv View Post
Hope to get some valuable inputs on the questions posted by me above .Regards
Hi i_nv,

I am not surprised that you liked the car, it definitely is a stunner (specially at the price point at which it's offered.

Now considering you already own a Superb, so space wise I believe you wont see much difference. Superb is a huge car and was on my consideration list before Skoda took it off Indian market (it's launching tomo and i will check it out too).

Rightly said, Kodiaq facelift isnt coming to India anytime soon too. The Audis you mentioned are much expensive cars but if you have the budget, you should definiitely consider.

But if you seek that thrill at 50L, no other option than SEAL as of now.

Coming to brand name: BYD is a new brand, not just in India but anywhere outside China. The company is striving to make it's name, hence they are also the title sponsor of Euro 2024. they are trying to establish itself and it's a time taking activity. That being said, it's definitely a reputable name within China and are known globally for Battery tech. I have personally experienced several BYDs first hand (not as a driver though) during my posting in China between 2016-18, so i am taking an informed decision as per my experience.

Coming to your questions:
1. Glass top as per company claims is Silver infused and repels heat. its gets hot though relatively but u wont feel like u r under the sun. it's as good as being under a regular car (i would still say 90%)

2.probably the BYD sales rep will be able to answer better. as per my findings, since it's a 5 star safety rated car, all parameters are taken into consideration. Had the glass top been an issue, it would have failed the NCAP tests.

3. those manual blinds will be a pain. Better keep it fully covered during harsh summer days or put them in boot. putting them on midway is a no-go for sure. this is something i hate too in the car.

4. under thigh support in EVs will always be lesser than ICE cars. but since it's a long car and has ample space, it wont be as much issue.

5. New EV policy require significant investment from foreign companies and implementation on ground. be rest assured, you wont bear the fruits of this new policy anytime soon (my best guess is 4 years)

BYD is a tried and tested car brand. they have been in space for quite sometime. it's just a new market, and since they are competing with brands who have been in the business for decades, establishing a name at that scale will take a long time. Happy convincing your family on that front.

Hope that helps!
ManiPrakash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 19:16   #64
BHPian

Happy to share . My wife and daughter have approved .

Updating all right from the showroom.

So finally deal is Sealed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiPrakash View Post
Hi i_nv,

Happy convincing your family on that front.

Hope that helps!
i_nv is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 23:47   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_nv View Post
Happy to share . My wife and daughter have approved .

Updating all right from the showroom.

So finally deal is Sealed ...
Do you mind going for a test drive together? We can have the car booked for us for longer duration considering 2 buyers and we can probably share experience in real time about the car. What say?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks