Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2008, 18:20   #1
BHPian

Buying Passat 2.0 TDI 2007 model in Germany need advice

I would like to buy a Passat 2.0 TDI Comfortline in Germany. One of my selected cars is a 28-09-2007 model. The price of the car from the VW dealer is 21150 euros. The car is practically new as it is registered for a day and has 8kms on the odo. I would like to use this car for daily use and holiday trips in Europe. I have a family of size three.

I would like to know whether it is a good buy or not.

I welcome your suggestions.

Mods: Please move it to the correct section if it is in wrong place. This is my first thread, please forgive me if there are mistakes.
Old 11th April 2008, 23:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Shiva - What other options do you have available in the same price range?? And what is your priority when looking for a car? Performance, Space, Ride etc..

If you give us some more info on these lines we would be able to give you better advice.
Old 12th April 2008, 00:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

also, how much would a new one set you back by, which can help us understand how much depreciation benefit you are gaining ?
Old 12th April 2008, 02:32   #4
BHPian

Hi Iraghava,
I am looking for a German car (limousine) with decent space for 5 people.
I am looking for a car with low running costs. The price of Audi A4, BMW 3 series and C-class are around 6-8 thousands higher than that of Passat. I have already stretched my budget. I can get Audi A4 1.9 TDI 5 gears for similar price but the passat is with 2.0 TDI and with 6 gears. As both of these cars share the same engine( I do not about the gear box). So I decided for Passat. The price of the new car with same configuration is 32650 euros.
Is there any owner of Passat on our forum then please let me know the experience.
Thanks in advance.
Shiva
Old 12th April 2008, 06:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Refer this thread :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...red-india.html
Old 12th April 2008, 06:03   #6
BHPian

My suggestion is not to do it. Reasons:

1. Is the car LH Drive? that is not allowed into India.
2. You have to pay import duty.
3. The car design (eg suspension) is made for German (and European) roads. Not for Indian roads. Passats made in India (I think in Chennai?) will be designed for Indian roads.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 12th April 2008, 07:53   #7
BHPian

My gf had a 2000 passat fully loaded (she bought it brand new), and it wasn't the greatest car, the interior, ride and drive quality was great, but after a few years it needed a lot of repairs, recently for the ABS control module replaced cost was $1600, now its up for sale.

Its a good car to buy if you are planning to sell it after 5 years, if not look for a BMW.
Old 12th April 2008, 09:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think Shiva mentioned bringing the car to India.

It sounds like a good discount, although I don't have experience for these things. I'd be very happy to drive a Passat! Having said that, I think VW is still trading on a reputation of cast-iron reliability that has, in reality, slipped somewhat.
Old 13th April 2008, 00:32   #9
BHPian

Thad

You are absolutely correct. I do not know why I assumed that he was thinking of bringing it back to India. That was my mistake. Sorry, Shiva. Let me now change my answers:

Yes, do buy it. Passat in Germany is a very good car. You will enjoy it, just remember to pass only on the left lane and move over immediately to let others pass

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 14th April 2008, 03:29   #10
BHPian

I visited the car and it is absolutely brand new(vehicle condition). I had a small test drive of the car for about 4-5 kms. Now the odometer shows around 14kms. The color is metallic gray. So I am almost decided to buy the car.
I dealer told me that VW does't give the spare wheel. The boot has the place for spare wheel. I have to buy the spare wheel.

Nattusbs :
Yes, do buy it. Passat in Germany is a very good car. You will enjoy it, just remember to pass only on the left lane and move over immediately to let others pass

I did not get you point, you mean the car is slow?. The passat has same engine and gear box as Aud A4 2.0TDI. So I think this can go as fast as Audi A4 2.0 TDI.

I like BMW but can not stretch my budget to buy a BMW(3 series).
Old 14th April 2008, 13:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

A Passat for that price & in that condition is a good deal Shiva, go for it!
Old 15th April 2008, 16:01   #12
BHPian

I decided to buy this car. Paid half of the amount and waiting for the registration formalities. Planning to bring the car by this week end. Thanks a lot for all you for your suggestions.
Old 16th April 2008, 00:12   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations

Do keep us informed about your ownership experience.
Old 16th April 2008, 00:52   #14
Team-BHP Support

left & right

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivapsreddy View Post
You will enjoy it, just remember to pass only on the left lane and move over immediately to let others pass

I did not get you point, you mean the car is slow?
shivapsreddy: Nattusbs probably meant to remind you what side of the road to drive on, and not the speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivapsreddy View Post
I decided to buy this car. Paid half of the amount and waiting for the registration formalities. Planning to bring the car by this week end.
Thats great. Congratulations on the new car!

VW's do last long if taken care of properly and have good build quality.
A cousin of mine bought a 5-speed Jetta in 1997. Now after 11 years and around 120000 miles, the car's pulling through quite well. Still has it's original clutch. Ofcourse, the chap maintains her exceptionally well and drives her like she's still brand new.
Another fellow - bought a Passat while he was lusting for an A4, and hasn't been disappointed for the last 4 years.
Old 16th April 2008, 01:13   #15
BHPian

aah78

I meant, in Germany (and rest of Europe), the left-most lane is only for passing (overtaking as called in India), immediately one moves to the right lane to let another (faster) car pass.

The driving habits in the US stink - people sitting on the left most lane, going merrily along as if on an afternoon stroll

Cheers

Nattusbs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks