Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2008, 15:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Uh-Oh. Just had a look at the car and its a 2004. But still its a steal at 23K. I going for it. The previous owners upgrading to an S and will only part with the car post delivery of the S. That should take another 15 days max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
V16 & Sahil are you saying I draw the line at 26 to 27. I got the car checked an following is the work that needs to be done.

1). Low tone horn gone 2k
2). Tyers hard 32k (sahil I intend to put 18 incher
3). Driver door dented 10k to fix
4). Trunk has small dink 10k to fix
5). Rear brake pads will need to be replaced and 2nd service due shortly 50k
5). Insurance 80K

So if i have understood this my limit remains 26 to 27 despite the above expence? V16 let me know how your buy goes also can we touch base to exchange notes on more leads?

cheers
Will keep in touch with you once I get the car. I think you are budgeting too much for the rear brake pads. They should not cost over 10K (parts cost). The service should cost another 20 so thats 30-35K max, not 50K.

Quote:
Hi iraghava, I am taking 32k as the replacement cost of the original 16inch tyres to price the car/evaluate the car an not cost of upgrading...I am sure if you read my thread from the top I sharing this to get a grip on what to offer...and since Sahil recommended new rims I put my intentions in brackets so he feels good and has a good evening/nights sleep thinking a fellow gearhead is doing the same cheers...I have seen many contributions from you on the merc front on other threads...how about some of your valuable inputs on what price to pay for the car.

Since u mentioned I see a lot of these chinese/taiwan/malay brands in the market are they really bad and do our roads deserve the hightech Michilins/Goodyears..( I had a 17inch setup on my E220 CDI and was always tiptoeing to avoid replacement cost!!)etc?? they may be good practical option as low profile tyers wearout faster than regular ones so given short replacement cycles cheaper options could make things affordable.

V16/Sahil....any tips I am meeting the owner tom to try and close it?
Frankly IMHO you should not upgrade to 18". The ride quality will suffer tremendously. And unless you get BBS, AMGS, or such types, dont change the rims. Mercedes quality cannot be matched by most of the cheaper options you get.
A word of caution about Chinese/Taiwanese/Korean tyres. Im sure they all make good tyres but whats the deal here. You will spend 30L on a car but will not spend 40K on a new set of track record proven tyres?
I dont get it. I will never flinch from te following tyre companies.(not in any order of preference)
Michelien
Bridgestone
Continental
Pirelli
Yokohama
Dunlop
Goodyear (imported only)
maybe ive missed some- Iraghava can complete this list

Our roads are aweful so they need the best rubbers we can buy. Expensive as they might seem, as compared to their South East Asian counterparts, its the safety factor that you have to keep in mind.
Get the best tyres money can buy, believe me they could save your life.
I would never buy any of these cheaper brands ever, especially for cars that run the expressway or highway doing three digit speeds.
Old 13th July 2008, 16:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi iraghava, I am taking 32k as the replacement cost of the original 16inch tyres to price the car/evaluate the car an not cost of upgrading...
Ahh....then it's fine, a new set of 16" is achievable in 32k. As for the car's price, if she is in immaculate condition than taking all factors into account 26-27L is a fair enough price.

Quote:
Since u mentioned I see a lot of these chinese/taiwan/malay brands in the market are they really bad and do our roads deserve the hightech Michilins/Goodyears..
The answer to this question has already been answered in great detail by Gogi Bhai below! Nothing to add on this from me! And I agree with him when he says you should never compromise or do cost-cutting on tyres, they're one of the most important pieces of equipment on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Frankly IMHO you should not upgrade to 18". The ride quality will suffer tremendously. And unless you get BBS, AMGS, or such types, dont change the rims. Mercedes quality cannot be matched by most of the cheaper options you get.
A word of caution about Chinese/Taiwanese/Korean tyres. Im sure they all make good tyres but whats the deal here. You will spend 30L on a car but will not spend 40K on a new set of track record proven tyres?
I dont get it. I will never flinch from the following tyre companies.(not in any order of preference)
Michelien
Bridgestone
Continental
Pirelli
Yokohama
Dunlop
Goodyear (imported only)
maybe ive missed some- Iraghava can complete this list

Our roads are aweful so they need the best rubbers we can buy. Expensive as they might seem, as compared to their South East Asian counterparts, its the safety factor that you have to keep in mind.
Get the best tyres money can buy, believe me they could save your life.
I would never buy any of these cheaper brands ever, especially for cars that run the expressway or highway doing three digit speeds.
Quote:
( I had a 17inch setup on my E220 CDI and was always tiptoeing to avoid replacement cost!!)etc?? they may be good practical option as low profile tyers wear out faster than regular ones so given short replacement cycles cheaper options could make things affordable.
Well I won't agree with that, they might be cheaper to replace but I don't understand the logic of buying a car for 30L & then skimping on tyres. If you do have a tyre failure the damage could be more than just what happens to the car, you/your family could get hurt too. Why take the risk? Not worth saving the 10-15k in my opinion.

And since you're already aware of what our roads do to big wheels (17" & above) I would suggest you stick to 16" & buy some good tyres. If you really do have to upgrade then don't go above 17". 18" are a strict no-no unless the roads you drive on regularly are absolutely smooth & free of pot holes.
Old 14th July 2008, 10:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks V16/Sahil/irahava..met the owner last week...he started talking of offer a dealers customer gave him (family member who is outstation now, had said 30L now the main guy is stating 31L!) frankly sounded like a yarn as the car was seen by dealer customer 4 weeks ago, and I seem to be the only serious one on the scene so far. We said we were way below and he should go ahead but after some time he asked us for our offer so told him 26L. He started talking about how we reached the figure we told him of the expenses..etc..it became a bit of a educational exercise. He finally said he would get back.

I think he will really shop around now so I hope for the best and as sahil said keep looking. what do you guys think?

BTW V16 Uh-Oh. Just had a look at the car and its a 2004. But still its a steal at 23K. I going for it. So its 23k Km on it or you are doing the deal at 23L as you had mentioned same price band before

Sahil I got the car technically evaluated at the main dealer...they stated rear brake pads only!!! I will investigate your angle.

V16/Iraghava - OK I will go for the european/japanese brands only Whether 17 or 18 will depend on what the car can take...i.e My tyre guy advised me to put 17's on my previous W210 CDI with 45 profile instead of 35 as recommended by manufacturer as Indian mercs have raised suspensions (sapcer pads)...this really worked as the ride was soft...and I used the car extensively over long distances i.e...Karnatak coast/Goa/Nasik/Mahableshwar/Pune...etc on all sorts of surfaces!! Lets see once I get the car...but Sahil I agree 18 will surely look hot and I live in Bandra and use mostly main roads for work/pleasure...I suppose roads are OK out here at least for now lets see...

Last edited by ajmat : 14th July 2008 at 11:41.
Old 14th July 2008, 11:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hey V16 Sure we can connect after you bought the car dont worry my intentions are not to grab your car/you mine I thought we could collaborate anyway best of luck with your purchase.
Old 14th July 2008, 14:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So its 23k Km on it or you are doing the deal at 23L as you had mentioned same price band before

i.e My tyre guy advised me to put 17's on my previous W210 CDI with 45 profile instead of 35 as recommended by manufacturer as Indian mercs have raised suspensions (sapcer pads)...this really worked as the ride was soft...and I used the car extensively over long distances i.e...Karnatak coast/Goa/Nasik/Mahableshwar/Pune...etc on all sorts of surfaces!! Lets see once I get the car...but Sahil I agree 18 will surely look hot and I live in Bandra and use mostly main roads for work/pleasure...I suppose roads are OK out here at least for now lets see...
Boss I meant 23Lacs. and done approx 23K kms also.

Quote:
Hey V16 Sure we can connect after you bought the car dont worry my intentions are not to grab your car/you mine I thought we could collaborate anyway best of luck with your purchase.
Anytime. Did I give you that impression? Sorry didn't mean it in that way, Am not worried about anyone grabbing anyone's cars. People on the Forum know me to not be that way. I said that coz I didn't have the car in my garage so talking about it would be futile.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

V16 great to hear from you. BTW the 50 K firgure was given by the workshop it includes 2nd services and rear brakepad change. I will look at it again.

So if you are paying Rs 23 L for a 2004 with 23 K what should I set as my cut off for mine. I recall the new price differencial (with sunroof) between 2004 and 2005 was marginal. My guy bought his at Rs. 42.5 L on road in 2nd half 2005.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks