Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2008, 02:40   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaciturN View Post
I am gonna guess its INR 4,75,000 ;-)

snap316 - As already stated, you need to positively stay away from the Nikasil M60 blocks.

Go and check the serial number stamped into the engine block.

If its 1 745 872 (Alusil) - then you're OK.

If its 1 725 963 or 1 742 998 (Nikasil) - then move along.

/ is *still* searching for that Elusive E39 Manual...
I had this in mind any idea how to check it my self ?? Did all cars have Nikasil short blocks or was it the ones that were produced initially that had those. The info i got was BMW extended their warrenty to 6 years and this was replaced free of cost for all cars with Nikasil engines i dont think a car manufactured in 1995 would have it replaced..but anyway i've asked him for the details..i may have to check this myself when i inspect it goin this monday to see the car...How about the one in car trade india the one in delhi did you have a look at it its coted 25 K less and a TN reg so i shouldnt have a problem with that as well...I'll ring the owner up tomorrow see what he says..Any insight on the economy of fuel guys cuz 3 or 4 km per liter is will put a huge dent in my monthly budget ..some folks say it gave them 7 in the city but i really cant go with anything ...As per the spares am aware of the price ..but as long as i maintain it well and dont damage any integral components i can manage the regular spares i just wanted to know if they are available still
Old 10th October 2008, 16:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
I had this in mind any idea how to check it my self ??
You need to get under the right front of the car and look directly alongside the 3rd cylinder, slightly above the coolant drain bolt.

It looks like this

Quote:
Did all cars have Nikasil short blocks or was it the ones that were produced initially that had those.
Yes. Only the replacement blocks were Alusil.

Quote:
How about the one in car trade india the one in delhi did you have a look at it...
Nope.

Quote:
some folks say it gave them 7
It should be between 5.5 to 7 Km/L.

IMHO, you should keep an eye out for an E39 or E46 and let this one pass.

Also,

Please...avoid...typing...like...this...

Laterzzz
Old 10th October 2008, 20:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

I dont think it would have made it to 60K on an original Nikasil Block. They used to crap out at 20K I think.

Whats the history of the car. Was it used overseas and came on TR? When and where did the engine work happen? Back then only Navnit and Kashyap were doing any official type work.

As far as FE, the worst you should expect is 5 kpl in bumper to bumper traffic, but then why would you want to drive this beast in traffic.

Last edited by Mpower : 10th October 2008 at 20:55.
Old 11th October 2008, 02:36   #19
BHPian

Taciturn: Hey thanks for the insight. I try not to use the .... am kinda used to it in a way. The reason am curious about this car is the Engine has got major potential and the car is built for it. There arent too many E 39's out there and not at this price range. I normally dont look for reasons to buy a car if i get like two or three reasons not to buy a car i would walk away from it. I've got one reason the nikasel am waiting for the email yet and if it is nikasil am walking.

PS:If there are any good E 39's within a 6 Lakh budget please let me know. Not necessarily the V8's any would do. Another problem is the Registration i never get TN registered cars. Re-Registration is not an easy task hence i kinda have a soft corner for TN registered vehicles like the once i had mentioned on car trade india as well.

Mpower: Thats an excellent point, i was hoping on that too as most cars didnt survive 25 K without issues espically the ones in india as we have a very high sulpher content in the fuel that we get here even the premium. The car was done in Delhi i believe am not sure where or what work was done as far as the milage goes if i can squeeze 7 Km thats gr8 i dont normally get stuck on bumper to bumper traffic here and 6 is a pretty good thing the only problem is this being an automatic i have little control over milage.

Am currently getting 10.5 on my Rolla am not a meek driver but the trick i follow is i maintain the car in its rev band around the 4000 - 5000 rpm mark and the free flow gives me good feedback on the engine's behaviour dont use the brakes much and try to slow down the car with the engine and without over revving it. How ever it fails miserably on the smaller cars but works well on cars with high torque so far only my car for me as my swift only gave me 6.5 as a result of my driving style. Guys Any insight on this?Am i exagurating my drivin or is there a logic behind this ??
Old 2nd January 2009, 20:51   #20
BANNED

hey guys sorry for the late reply i have just acquired a 1994 316i for abt 2 lakhs orignal conditon runs beautifully,better than my swift but its its a nice car done 69 grand kms just needs an oil change got it directly from its second owner
Old 19th January 2009, 17:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@snap316 - The celica was Yellow...
saw a yellow celica on NH road this afternoon... looked nice..
Old 23rd January 2009, 09:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
saw a yellow celica on NH road this afternoon... looked nice..

Hey buddy i keep seein one with nice silver rims on cenetoph road almost everyother day is it the same one you taking about??
Old 23rd January 2009, 09:26   #23
BHPian

Another BMW 1991 535i

Hey Guys its me again. I have had to stay away from both those models due to the Nikasil issue , now i recently saw a 1991 BMW 535i posted and had a chat with the owner.

The owner was a plesant person and he mentioned that he is putting up this car for sale since he is no longer using it. He has got a BMW 7 Series now.Anyway Back to the car,from what he mentioned

He had the suspension worked on by Navneeth motors Delhi.
Since the car was not used for a long time the fuel nossils were clogged and he had them cleaned.He also mentioned an AC switch is broken and has to be replaced . I guess the AC dosnt work without it.

The deal is the other two BMW's were AT's whilst this is a an MT which got my eyes wide open.The asking was 5 Lakhs but he is willing to negotiate.

My views, its an 18 year old car am just another 8 years older.
But i figured it would still be a good car well maintained.
The fuel economy seems be around 6-7 Kpl after all its a 3.5 l V6 engine with 200+ Bhp.
Concerns are is it going to be worth my time and money getting it as i dont want it to be an ongoing struggle with a new problem everyday.
I know a thing or two about normal cars but not much about a BMWs hence i need your expert advices on it.I need to go to another state to take a look at the car which i would be doing in Feb Last week or March First week which was suggested by the owner as the car is in his family house which he visits once every year or two. I've got time before i make my trip i just want you guys to let me know if its going to be worth my time and money going for it.
Old 4th February 2009, 14:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayak_90 View Post
hey guys sorry for the late reply i have just acquired a 1994 316i for abt 2 lakhs orignal conditon runs beautifully,better than my swift but its its a nice car done 69 grand kms just needs an oil change got it directly from its second owner

hi, congrats for purchasing a beauty.

waiting for pics...!

Hi, it would not be a wise decision to buy an 18 yrs old car.
It will have so many niggling issues, which can be expensive to deal with.

Better buy a 94-97 Beemers, those could run amazingly for another 5-6 yrs.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th February 2009 at 23:28. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 4th February 2009, 15:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post

pardon my ignorance, what are beemers?
Old 4th February 2009, 16:00   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post
It is a referral to a German version of Star Trek where one is Beamed up to a destination at high speed
Old 4th February 2009, 16:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post
BMWs are fondly known as Beemers, just like subaru imprezas are sometimes called scoobys.
Welcome aboard.

Last edited by Astleviz : 4th February 2009 at 16:25.
Old 4th February 2009, 23:17   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
BMWs are fondly known as Beemers, just like subaru imprezas are sometimes called scoobys.
Welcome aboard.
actually bmw cars are supposedly called bimmers and the bikes beemers.
Old 5th February 2009, 08:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Welcome aboard.
Nice. Thought so, but good to get it confirmed.
Old 5th February 2009, 14:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
hi, congrats for purchasing a beauty.

waiting for pics...!

hi dear, I was suppose to say BMW nothing else!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks