Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2009, 12:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

And here more proof to what I mentioned earlier. Check out these links:
Preowned-Inventory Sam Swope Auto Group Louisville KY
Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com
Seems to be some problem with the 2nd link which has a 2006 M5 @ $ 35,000!!
Old 1st February 2009, 03:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

EVo looks gorgeous in the blue colour.
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:43   #18
BHPian

Right now if your looking for something sporty, a used Evo IX would be a MUCH better deal than the Evo X. The X is nice, but the IX kicks its around in every way.. A used 05-07 STI would also be a good deal. The 08 is just too ugly to consider.

If your not into the tuning scene, and into luxury, try the infiniti G35 or G35x. For coupes go with a G37 or G37x.. over a 335i.

And finally if you have the $$$$ go and get a Nissan R35 GTR.. it can be had for $83K out the door..
Old 4th February 2009, 08:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Reliable means the Audi, BMW and Merc are out. Fast means the G37x is out. Get an EVO X, you wont be disappointed except with the downmarket interiors.

At that price range, I would get a small SUV or pickup with awd for the winter, and a used 335i (not xi) for the summer.
Why do you say that reliable means the Audi, BMW and Merc are out?? Please let me know you honest opinion, since my family and I have been driving only Japanese cars (Toyota's) and thus don't know much on these in terms of practical driving?

I understand maintanence costs are higher...but again oil changes and such are done at 7~10K rather than the normal 3K on the Japanese cars?

All answers and opinions seriously appreciated!

Thanks to everyone contributing! Appreciate your responses...
As far as a GTR, that one is way outta my league for now....Maybe a used one a few years later though?

As for budget, I would like to stick around $25~$30K range, but with the recent economic crisis happening globally, one cannot avoid to rethink such costs...

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2009 at 09:02. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 4th February 2009, 11:05   #20
BANNED

Have you considered a Saab? The 2009 Saab 93 2.0 turbo has an all wheel drive option. The drive, and feel is awesome. I do not have an all wheel drive, (it hardly rains, and has never snowed down here) but I have heard lots of praise from a cousin who has one.
With a great engine, + all the luxury options, and an ultra low price, it makes a great buy.
2009 Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan 2.0T XWD - Yahoo! Autos
-Prasadee
Old 5th February 2009, 03:23   #21

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

I am really inclined towards the BMW 330 or 335xi. Audi A4 looks awesome, as everyone sees to agree...but there's just something about a BMW that screams power and prestige (Not to say the Audi doesn't...)

I see a nice used 2006 330xi for around 24K. I know the newer 330xi gives 255 hp compared to the 300hp by the 335 xi...I wonder how much the extra 45 hp is worth...Any opinions on that? A used 335xi starts around USD 30ishK + depending on the mileage etc...
Any practical or very observable differences between the 330xi or 335xi?
Old 5th February 2009, 12:08   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

If you can stretch your budget you could get yourself a CLS.
A client of mine got a fully loaded 2007 CLS 550 driven 20k miles for 35,000USD. The current used car market is the US is a buyers paradise !
Old 6th February 2009, 00:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deziboy View Post
I see a nice used 2006 330xi for around 24K. I know the newer 330xi gives 255 hp compared to the 300hp by the 335 xi...I wonder how much the extra 45 hp is worth...Any opinions on that? A used 335xi starts around USD 30ishK + depending on the mileage etc...
Any practical or very observable differences between the 330xi or 335xi?
Aren't these prices slightly on the higher side? My friend bought a used 530xi for ~27k last month. Looks and feels brand new. Is it a very low miles car? Or are the CA prices which tend to be steeper?

Extra HP is worth its brag rights, little else. Honestly, do you feel that 255 is inadequate? Unless you plan to put it on track, I think you should do fine.
Old 6th February 2009, 00:31   #24
BHPian

A small advise, if you looking at a used Merc, Bimmer or Audi, please make sure you get it CPO and with a warranty. Too many things go wrong with these cars. Audi is supposedly better than a bimmer which is better than a merc quality wise.
Old 7th February 2009, 00:26   #25

Everyone seems to be hinting at things going wrong with Audi's, BMW, Mercs? What sort of issues are expected?

Besides normal oil & filter changes and regular maintanence, what other costs can one expect?
Old 7th February 2009, 01:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everyone seems to be hinting at things going wrong with Audi's, BMW, Mercs? What sort of issues are expected?

Besides normal oil & filter changes and regular maintanence, what other costs can one expect?
Just wondering,have you had a chance to compare insurance rates on these brands?
Old 7th February 2009, 02:17   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Or are the CA prices which tend to be steeper?
Used car prices in LA are one of the lowest. The volume of cars available at the dealer lots are incredible. Other markets you cannot be specific about model and color when it comes to used cars.
-Prasadee
Old 7th February 2009, 02:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Used car prices in LA are one of the lowest. The volume of cars available at the dealer lots are incredible. Other markets you cannot be specific about model and color when it comes to used cars.
-Prasadee
Also the specs are different for the CA models,with the extra-strict rules on emmission etc.
My roomie from Ohio moved to CA in 2003,and he used to tell me how much of choice there was in buying cars.With all that,it took him 5 days to get an Acura 3.2TL in maroon (with what ever package he wanted,ie).
Old 7th February 2009, 02:26   #29
BANNED

Quote:

Electrical problems are very common in all european cars. There are lamps everywhere, glove boxes, to door handles. Other fancy things such as cup holders and vanity mirrors(with switches and lamps) are flimsy. The cup holders cannot hold on to large US drinks. They normally cave in. Any of the powered stuff, like mirrors, seats, windows, roof, if broken cost a fortune. Also any of the sensors in the engine if broken cost a lot more. The service indicators are pretty good, they tell you what is broken, and you end up taking it to the stealers(dealers) for every single minor issue, that can add up to a good sum annually.

All the above issues will certainly not happen at once, but some of it will certainly happen. The electricals are certainly not Accura or Lexus quality.

If you do buy a european car, the best thing you can do is -> buy extended warranty.
-Prasadee
Old 7th February 2009, 02:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that,Prasad. Extended warranty is the best thing to have these days!

Also, coming to the electricals, my ex-colleague had a Saab 93 convertible,and she had a tough time getting the roof down with ease. The dealer said that it would cost in excess of $3k to fix, so she let it be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks