Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2005, 16:12   #1
BHPian

Need help with choosing a car in the US

Hello Guys,
I'll be travelling to the US on work sometime next month & will be staying there for around a year or so. I need a car to get around.
This is the search criteria for the "used car" in particular order.
Budget is 5,000$ max.

1) Reliability most important.
1) Fun to drive (good midrange, top speed in excess of 130 mph at least)
3) Ease of maintainence (we all know about labour costs in the US)
4) Looks are also important.
5) Mileage (just kidding)

I was looking preferably at a 2 door coupe.
A) Mitsu Ecpilse GSX/GST(turbo), 3000GT (non-turbo) but concerned about their reliability??
B) Acura Intergra.
And am not too sure about American cars.

Has anyone owned/driven the eclipse/3000GT/intergra??
What other cars can I look at? Looking forward to your valuable inputs.

Thanks in advance,
Raihan
Old 19th May 2005, 16:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

before you start dreaming of old ferraris - pls check out the insurance costs
Old 19th May 2005, 16:24   #3
BHPian

and then go to kbb.com for pricing details
Old 19th May 2005, 17:10   #4
BHPian

the 5k budget seems a bit small for a newish car (since you want a performance type car)....most probably you are looking at quite an old car.

the Eclipse is a nice car...about American cars....how about a Mustang or a Pontiac.
A friend of mine in a similar case like yours went for a Mazda 6 (even a 3 looks nice) not sure if its really feisty enough though but being a Mazda I think should be good!

You can always look at old Imprezza/Lancer Evo...though not sure if they will fit in 5k
Old 19th May 2005, 17:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
- pls check out the insurance costs
Going to need some help with that too
cheers,
Old 19th May 2005, 17:25   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
before you start dreaming of old ferraris - pls check out the insurance costs
Exactly what I thought. All these kids going to USA think they can freak out on their dream cars. Doesn't really happen unless they know some rich relative with such cars. Insurance and speed traps spoil all the fun.

Alright, if it is a old car, you can forget about collision & comprehensive. Just take liability insurance, that too can vary a lot depending on your age, marital status, US state, and the type of car.

If you are unmarried, below 25 and heading to New Jersey, god save you. You can forget about sports cars, old or new. I know people whose annual insurance payments were around $5000 thanks to speeding tickets.
Old 19th May 2005, 17:31   #7
BHPian

Samurai buddy I understand what u said but eclipse is not my dream car it costs some 20K $ for a new car, alright maybe the VR-4 is . Now plz throw in some light on a few cars.
FYI am over 25, not single & going to CA.

Last edited by raihan : 19th May 2005 at 17:33.
Old 19th May 2005, 17:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay

the Eclipse is a nice car...about American cars....how about a Mustang or a Pontiac.
Abhay I ment am not too sure if I wanted to use an American car
Although when I drove the Pontiac grand am I was blown away with the strong lower end grunt.
cheers,
Old 19th May 2005, 17:43   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Exactly what I thought. All these kids going to USA think they can freak out on their dream cars.
That was me. Been there. Dont that. Landed in Boston with a budget of $5000 and zeroed in on an mid 90's MR2 Turbo. Until I found out that a 24 year old international with no US driving history parking his red two seater sportscar on the street in downtown Boston would pay $2500 per year only in insurance

Settled for a 1993 Accord. Paid $3200 for the car and $500 a year in insurance. What a beauty of a car - Had 90,000 miles when I picked it. Sold it for exactly $3200 three years and another 25,000 miles later and not one single $ in repair. Only tyres and oil changes.

Raihan, even leaving aside insurance...you really wont get good Eclipses in that money. But decent condition integras are a possibility.

GTO
Old 19th May 2005, 17:44   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan
FYI am over 25, not single & going to CA.
That's much better. Now remember, the worse insult you can inflict on somebody in USA is by calling them Used Car Salesman!.

When it comes to buying used cars, it is not a good idea to get hung up on a particular make or model. Go to various used car lots and look around, identify cars that are acceptable to you and then make your decision. Don't go looking for a Supra or an Eclipse. Keep your choices wide and then you may get something acceptable.

Remember, all the prices will be really inflated, just like the Kelly Blue book prices. It all depends on how well you can bargain.

If reliability is really important, go to pre-owned certified cars show room. Prices will be high, but quality will be better.
Old 19th May 2005, 17:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Raihan, even leaving aside insurance...you really wont get good Eclipses in that money. But decent condition integras are a possibility.

GTO
Thanks GTO, I guess my insurance should be no more than 1000-1500 $/yr. And I'm really open about the car not zeroed in on anything. Plz shed some light on the Integra's performance.
Old 19th May 2005, 17:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan
Thanks GTO, I guess my insurance should be no more than 1000-1500 $/yr. And I'm really open about the car not zeroed in on anything. Plz shed some light on the Integra's performance.
I have driven the normal Integras/RSX which I used to get as loaner cars, which were no great shakes. Only the R type can satisfy you, but then I doubt you can get even an well kept older R type for 5K.
Old 19th May 2005, 17:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
That's much better. Now remember, the worse insult you can inflict on somebody in USA is by calling them Used Car Salesman!.

When it comes to buying used cars, it is not a good idea to get hung up on a particular make or model. Go to various used car lots and look around, identify cars that are acceptable to you and then make your decision. Don't go looking for a Supra or an Eclipse. Keep your choices wide and then you may get something acceptable.

If reliability is really important, go to pre-owned certified cars show room. Prices will be high, but quality will be better.
Samurai, in which country do u find "honest" used car salesmen??
Thats an oxymoron. Am not hung up on any model but quite open.
I'll keep ur advice in mind.
thanks
Old 19th May 2005, 18:02   #14
BHPian

Thats what I meant with that budget you can get plenty of reliable sedans (Hondas like theone GTO picked up) but not sure of any really sporty cars...
of course those reliable daily runners are enough fun too when you come from India having driven Marutis et al (unless you are a riiiiiiiiich bugger who owns a RS/Accord V6 or something :-), no offense)

So take a look around as most of the wise/exprienced guys say and you can prolly find the car you like and can afford too......
Old 19th May 2005, 18:16   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just a thought. You can still pick up an MR2 if you dont mind blowing up a load of $$$ in insurance (will be there for a year anyways).

Its a Toyota, good condition examples can be had for $3000 - $4000 and is a LOT of fun to drive. Resale values are not too bad either.

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks