Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2005, 19:19   #1
BHPian

D-Segment CARS

I need your view on the current D-segment cars. I was always leaning towards the Mondeo and still do. I need some info on the current crop of D-seg cars. Could you provide a few links or articles that I can read through?

All view and suggestions are welcome.
Old 8th July 2005, 20:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkiben
I need your view on the current D-segment cars. I was always leaning towards the Mondeo and still do. I need some info on the current crop of D-seg cars. Could you provide a few links or articles that I can read through?

All view and suggestions are welcome.
The Accord is your best bet in that segment, without any doubt. Beats the others in almost all departments and is easy on the purse when it comes to maintenance too.

Is there any particular reason for you to like the Mondy so much?
Old 8th July 2005, 21:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

MOndeo is a better drivers car than HOnda but I dont really think any1 will recomment it due to its previous image of an expensive car that flopped.

Buy it for sure if you like it. It is an excellent car with loads of power and equipment and looks and entertainment and ride and handling and safety and reliability.

IT is as good as a Honda. If it were me I would buy a MOndeo as everybody has a honda So whats new?? please keep in mind here that HOnda is an excellent car as well.

BUt if you want a powerful car with D segment features The octy RS beats anything available in India.

1 Octy RS
2 Mondeo
3 Accord
Old 8th July 2005, 22:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

why are we forgetting the Camry ?

Its right up there in terms of performance ,build quality and class ...
Camry performs nearly as good as the Accord V6..
Old 9th July 2005, 02:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
The Accord is your best bet in that segment, without any doubt. Beats the others in almost all departments and is easy on the purse when it comes to maintenance too.

Is there any particular reason for you to like the Mondy so much?
Well after reading your views and the views given my others in the Mondy v/s Octy thread, I'm having second thoughts about the Mondy. The Mondy has been one handsome car to this day I must say though.
Old 9th July 2005, 02:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

but camry is damn expensive. atleast 3 lacs more .
Old 9th July 2005, 03:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Firstly,whats your preference??? Driving,Comfort,Looks etc.

The Mondeo no doubt is an excellent drivers car.It rules as far as handling and stability is concerned.But,too high on maintanence.
Skoda RS is a nice car too.Buy it only for that engine.The comfort is pathetic,the interiors are s-a-d.It does not feel like a 14lac car.
Toyota Camry is too dated and overpriced.Moreover,its more of a chauffeur driven car than a drivers car.Its too damn huge.
Vectra is a amazing car,but failed to stir the market due to its high pricing and the Opel image.Otherwise,its an excellent drivers car.
Honda Accord scores over the above mentioned cars.Its an excellent VFM car and has everything one can ask for in a D-segment car.

So,Honda Accord it is.

X

Last edited by X-Machine : 9th July 2005 at 04:00.
Old 9th July 2005, 04:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Well,
what do you want from your car?
That is the question.
The Accord is a fantastic car no doubt but it loses out to the Mondy in terms of driver involvement, looks, solidity, safety, ride.
I would prefer the Moneo any day specially at its new price.
The accord has become just too common a sight on the roads though as an overall car it just about manages to beat the Mondeo.
Try the new Sonata too.
Camry, vectra are too expensive and the Skoda and all too small and are deemed as C++ segment cars.
The Skoda is better then the mondy in terms of performance and ride comort but otherwise cannot hold a candle unless you are talking about the RS in whic case you only loose out in Space.
Old 9th July 2005, 11:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Mondeo it is!!!

but I found the octavia interiors to be good. Who can say that those recaro seatsa re bad or crusie control is not needed or the black leather all over. I espcially also liked the moonroof provided in the car.

I wouldnt buy the accord just because it hasnt got that face turning value. Mondeo still turns heads.

vectra already discontinued and camry too explicitly expensive

go for the mondeo and have fun.
Old 9th July 2005, 12:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

vRS is a rage fact is known and agreed by all (meself felt the wrath of the RS once )but lets stick to the D segments cars ..

Mondeo was evaluated up against the C 180, sonata gold, accord by bsmotoring...it stood out to e the overall winner in terms of performance ,interior design , handling (was 2nd to the RWD C180) and exterior styling...
Old 9th July 2005, 12:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

yes and let me tell you this. It was the old accord(most possibly an automatic too) over which the mondeo won in that roadtest.

But I will still vote for the new mondeo.
Old 9th July 2005, 13:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

yeah it was the old accord ..all the cars in that test were had manual shifters ...
Old 9th July 2005, 16:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkiben
Well after reading your views and the views given my others in the Mondy v/s Octy thread, I'm having second thoughts about the Mondy. The Mondy has been one handsome car to this day I must say though.
And quite rightly, I might say! The Mondy HAD been a handsome car - its the only one in its segment that hasnt had a major makeover for years.
Old 9th July 2005, 16:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
The Accord is a fantastic car no doubt but it loses out to the Mondy in terms of driver involvement, looks, solidity, safety, ride.
Driver involvement - this is a factor only when you are testing cars, in terms of how well you gel with a car thats entirely new. Once you've bought a vehicle, you will get accustomed to its pros and cons and will therefore be able to get as 'involved' with it as with any other vehicle. I think this criteria has been blown totally out of proportion - I've driven the Accord and the Mondy and I havent found any lack of 'involvement' as such.

Looks - Is subjective, but the Mondy does look serious even if people still think its a new model of the Ikon - that is a definite put-off.

Solidity - Again subjective. The Accord hardly developed any squeak/rattle/other such noise in the 1 year that I drove one around in mixed terrain (in terms of roads). The Mondy has developed irritating sqeaks and rattles despite having run only on the carpet-smooth roads of DXB. People talk about solid build in reviews based on their perception, but in real life the Accord will outlive the Mondy. So much for solidity.

Safety - I havent verified the crash results for both, but I wont be surprised if they're on the same level or even if the accord has a higher rating.

Ride - Another contentious issue. The Mondy has a stiff suspension that no doubt helps in HANDLING. However, the downside is that every single ripple on the road is transferred to the passenger cabin - not very good for comfort. The Accord is more cushioned and helps insulate the passengers from the road much better. I prefer the ride in an Accord as its more plush and comfortable - I didnt buy my car to compete in the WRC.

Other than that, in terms of power, interiors, space and finish the Accord wins hands down. No contest, dude.

Other than the Accord, the only other option you would look at is the Camry which I feel is priced at a premium. The new Sonata feels pretty good and is extremely comfortable and spacious too - but my views on this vehicle are based on a couple of rides so I would recommend that you drive it and find out for yourself. Dont bother about the Skoda - its not a D segment car even if it likes to pretend that it is one.

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th July 2005 at 16:47.
Old 9th July 2005, 17:01   #15
BHPian

Steeroid on steoids!

I really loved your concept of 'driver involvement'. How very true! That last statement is simply brilliant. "Skoda - its not a D segment car even if it likes to pretend that it is one".

M

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks