Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 10:48   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^^ Speedy : Take a 50 kms drive in the A4 3.2 FSI and come back to post your comments . Sizewise, yes the 5 is from a higher segment. However, in terms of power, performance & new car price, the A4 3.2 is bang up there on the 5 level (50 lakhs OTR price tag).
Old 30th September 2009, 11:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
^^ Speedy : Take a 50 kms drive in the A4 3.2 FSI and come back to post your comments . Sizewise, yes the 5 is from a higher segment. However, in terms of power, performance & new car price, the A4 3.2 is bang up there on the 5 level (50 lakhs OTR price tag).
I have not had a 50kms drive in the A4 3.2 FSI Gto but around 15 to 20 kms and that was enough. The car no doubt is great in most aspects but when compareing to the 530d especially in the second hand cars, the BMW wins.
GTO the car is in the Price range of the 5 series but still is in the 3 series category. Like you mentioned there are only a handfull of the 3.2's FSI and 3ltr diesels sold,This is due to people haveing a choice of a bigger segment car at the same price range. The C230 and the 325i are almost the same price of the 520d, so my logical brain would say pay a lakh more and take the 520d. Most of us think the same.
Not everyone is power and performance oriented and some do not even know the difference between a normal and highline or even the different engine specs. Their take is 5 yrs i am not changeing the car so i want something in an X amount. I know so many people who for the price of the 3.2 FSI and the 3ltr diesel have bought the 2 ltr diesel.

The most practical and easy car to find in the budget would be the 530d. Two or three years ago the 3.2 FSI was not there in India. Hope this is not taken otherwise .
Old 30th September 2009, 14:11   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I suggest getting a 525d over the 530d, here's why:

1.Easier to find in the used car market since it has been around longer than the 530d, unless you get the pre-2007 imports of the 530d

2.Would be cheaper than the 530d

3.Has the same engine as the features and engine as the 530d. You can use the spare cash you save on getting a reputed ECU remap or tuning box. This will up the power to match and most likely beat a 530d. You probably would still have some left over savings that could be invested in meaty alloys (perhaps the m5 166m ) and ofcourse some spare change to buy a 530d badge if you may please

4. If you must not compare to the 530d, the 525d is a monster on it's own and has moooore than enough power to have you grinning. You could skip the above pt.3 and use the cash elsewhere. 0 to 100 in 7.5 seconds would keep most content along with 400nM of torque to pin you down.

If you can find a car that is/was under the BSI+R even at a premium do get it, its worth it.

Last edited by Sahil : 30th September 2009 at 14:12.
Old 30th September 2009, 14:40   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
1.Easier to find in the used car market since it has been around longer than the 530d, unless you get the pre-2007 imports of the 530d
I don't think thats true, as I just did a quick search on carwale.com, and got 9 530d's and 5 525d's. Looks like theres twice more 530d's than 525d's.

Don't mean to taunt you or anything mate, just putting my point out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I have not had a 50kms drive in the A4 3.2 FSI Gto but around 15 to 20 kms and that was enough. The car no doubt is great in most aspects but when compareing to the 530d especially in the second hand cars, the BMW wins.
GTO the car is in the Price range of the 5 series but still is in the 3 series category. Like you mentioned there are only a handfull of the 3.2's FSI and 3ltr diesels sold,This is due to people haveing a choice of a bigger segment car at the same price range. The C230 and the 325i are almost the same price of the 520d, so my logical brain would say pay a lakh more and take the 520d. Most of us think the same.
Not everyone is power and performance oriented and some do not even know the difference between a normal and highline or even the different engine specs. Their take is 5 yrs i am not changeing the car so i want something in an X amount. I know so many people who for the price of the 3.2 FSI and the 3ltr diesel have bought the 2 ltr diesel.

The most practical and easy car to find in the budget would be the 530d. Two or three years ago the 3.2 FSI was not there in India. Hope this is not taken otherwise .
I completely agree with that. Some great pointers made there, and you've actually even saved me from buying a C-class, A4 or a 3 series in the future. Though I'm a little confused on how your friend managed to get a 2006 BMW 530d for 26 lakhs, as when I searched on carwale.com, I got a 2004 530i (which should be cheaper than the 'd' version) for 26.5 lakhs, and that too posted by an individual. Mind explaining this?

Quote:
No problems with the car brother, the car has done almost 37,000 kms . Rs 60,000 per service for the E and not collectively through the year.

There are plenty who do that too with their E and a cayenne was made to do that. I do that with the Ml all the time and there is no harm done to the car. The times you do indulge in speed and going a bit overboard you are reminded of the hefty costs involved incase something does go wrong so you tend to be a bit more carefull unlike if you were driving a lancer or honda city.
RS60,000 is definetely not bad, according to middle-class Indian's it might be expensive, but if you've already owned a higher segment car then you know what to expect.

Yes you're completely right there. I have different driving styles when driving the Jag or a lower segment car such as the Corolla/City. Even though I drive the Jag in a place like Hong Kong, I'm still afraid I might ruin it somehow by driving it too wrecklessly. But as a car lover, I have to forget the costs and enjoy the car and test its limits.

Last edited by krazyking : 30th September 2009 at 14:42.
Old 30th September 2009, 15:17   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
I don't think thats true, as I just did a quick search on carwale.com, and got 9 530d's and 5 525d's. Looks like theres twice more 530d's than 525d's.

Don't mean to taunt you or anything mate, just putting my point out there.
No sweat.

There probably are still more 525d's on the road as 530d's uptil now even though the 525d was phased out soon after launch. While it was around it sold like hot cakes hence there was always a limited supply due to BMW's factory constraints (I waited 6 months ! ) Once the 530d came along the production was scaled up and initial craze was over too. But then again the 520d came and took the chunk of 525d sales, only the power hungry took the 530d.
In terms of finding in the used car market, I would presume an older model would be available easier. Carwale is one source, maybe the open used car market has a different story. Another reason for more 530d's showing up is because of the imports. I don't think I ever saw a 525d imported, but plenty of 530d's imported. Carwale probably has a few of the imports listed too.

Last edited by Sahil : 30th September 2009 at 15:21.
Old 30th September 2009, 15:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
No sweat.

There probably are more 530d's on the road as 525d was phased out soon after launch. While it was around it sold like hot cakes hence there was always a limited supply due to BMW's factory constraints (I waited 6 months ! ) Once the 530d came along the production was scaled up and initial craze was over too.
But in terms of finding in the used car market, I would presume an older model would be available easier. Carwale is one source, maybe the open used car market has a different story. Another reason for more 530d's showing up is because of the imports. I don't think I ever saw a 525d imported, but plenty of 530d's imported. Carwale probably has a few of the imports listed too.
Ohh right, I see. Well what's the difference if it's an imort, is that a bad thing? I thought it was the same, cause I heard that the official service centres will respect the warranty anyways. And apparently if you import it saves you a bit of money or is it vice versa? And that it's also quicker in getting the car in most cases.
Old 30th September 2009, 15:44   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ohh right, I see. Well what's the difference if it's an imort, is that a bad thing? I thought it was the same, cause I heard that the official service centres will respect the warranty anyways. And apparently if you import it saves you a bit of money or is it vice versa? And that it's also quicker in getting the car in most cases.
No it's not a bad thing if the papers are clean. Not sure of warranty.
It does not make sense to get a CBU when the CKD of the car is available locally. It does turn out more expensive due to taxes. It's not any quicker either, infact a lot longer. CKD BMW's are available as ready delivery.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I completely agree with that. Some great pointers made there, and you've actually even saved me from buying a C-class, A4 or a 3 series in the future. Though I'm a little confused on how your friend managed to get a 2006 BMW 530d for 26 lakhs, as when I searched on carwale.com, I got a 2004 530i (which should be cheaper than the 'd' version) for 26.5 lakhs, and that too posted by an individual. Mind explaining this?
I just did buy a 325i even though i know of the price difference between this and the 520d, Every car has a use and pupose so it all depends on what it is for you. So dont let this stop you from purchasing any of the smaller luxury cars.

We did not go through Carwale or any site. Knew the owner and struck a deal with him. This is similer to the 03 S350 that went for 16.5, the owner sold it for 13.5. You basicaly have to keep your eyes open for such deals as they are what i call pure deals, once an agent or dealer comes in then the commisions get added. These are spot decision cars so its a yes or a no right there, you spend time thinking and the car is already sold. I cannot explain an owners mind to you Krazyking, as each one thinks differently and how well you can convince the person for the value. Let me explain w140 true value is around 4 to 5 lakhs and for a prestine one would go to max 8 lakhs. The owner of a perticular non running car is asking 15 lakhs just because someone he knew sold his prestine condition car 2years ago for 11 Lakhs.

Quote:
RS60,000 is definetely not bad, according to middle-class Indian's it might be expensive, but if you've already owned a higher segment car then you know what to expect.

Yes you're completely right there. I have different driving styles when driving the Jag or a lower segment car such as the Corolla/City. Even though I drive the Jag in a place like Hong Kong, I'm still afraid I might ruin it somehow by driving it too wrecklessly. But as a car lover, I have to forget the costs and enjoy the car and test its limits.
It is not bad atall, but for someone who wants to show that he or she has arrived make the mistake of purchasing these cars and then realises the cost involved to maintain (service). I mean you jump from a zen/ honda city/ hyundai accent etc to a C and E class/ 3 and 5 series and expect these cars to cost the same as maintaining their Indian counterparts is not going to happen. Somebody who has lived with or is aware of what he is getting himself into will not think much on the costs.

We all do forget the cost involved and try to test the limit of the cars we own, but this does not mean we go over board and take uncalled for risks. I am a power freak and do not let my mind run my heart when i drive and yet there are times you rather let go off the accelerator and ease off.

Sahil i guess you have owners hanging on to the 525d is due to its practical 4cyl engine and the superb feel the car gives. I t was afterall the top end model before the more powerful 530d 6cyl engine showed up.

If you know the dealers you can get discounts on the old stock of cars they have. There are cars that come for exchange and the dealerships have to buy them back and you can get them cheaper. Asking rates for S classes and 7series a few months or max a year old is in the 60 Lakhs range. A 30 or 40 lakh drop right there.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:51   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Sahil i guess you have owners hanging on to the 525d is due to its practical 4cyl engine and the superb feel the car gives. I t was afterall the top end model before the more powerful 530d 6cyl engine showed up.
hate to bring it to you but both are 6 cylinders. same engine infact only that the 525d was detuned.
Old 1st October 2009, 13:11   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
hate to bring it to you but both are 6 cylinders. same engine infact only that the 525d was detuned.
Thanks for clearing that Akshay

Speedy probably confused my 520d in this case, that is a 4cyl but I do have the 525d which has the same engine as the 530d.

I have driven the 530d and it's a pure monster, but I don't regard the 525d as not a monster either (no owners hanging here). The difference in power that i feel between the 520d & 525d is far more than the difference felt between a 525d & 530d.

Last edited by Sahil : 1st October 2009 at 13:12.
Old 1st October 2009, 13:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
My Bad, confused it with Sahils car.

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that Akshay

Speedy probably confused my 520d in this case, that is a 4cyl but I do have the 525d which has the same engine as the 530d.

I have driven the 530d and it's a pure monster, but I don't regard the 525d as not a monster either (no owners hanging here). The difference in power that i feel between the 520d & 525d is far more than the difference felt between a 525d & 530d.
Yes sir confused it with your car.

The torque figure between the 525d and the 530d would be miniscule compared to the 520d, hence the power difference. The 530d is also regarded as the best diesel engine in the market and also a power house. The price payed also factors in while resale of the car. Some owners realise the depriciated value and some reduce a miniscule amount.
Old 1st October 2009, 13:37   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by over.drive View Post
By the way, anybody knows any good used car dealers who I can contact for a BMW, AUDI or Merc in Kerala.
Try Chirayath Cars. They're in Cochin and Chalakkudy.
Old 1st October 2009, 13:58   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Bad, confused it with Sahils car.

Yes sir confused it with your car.

The torque figure between the 525d and the 530d would be miniscule compared to the 520d, hence the power difference. The 530d is also regarded as the best diesel engine in the market and also a power house. The price payed also factors in while resale of the car. Some owners realise the depriciated value and some reduce a miniscule amount.
The torque difference between the 525d & 520d is 50nM. While difference between 525d & 530d is 100nM !

Yet the difference seems larger in the first case,maybe due to the 2 extra cyl and bhp. Which is why I keep the 520d at our factory in Pune and 525d for my use here
Old 1st October 2009, 23:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The torque difference between the 525d & 520d is 50nM. While difference between 525d & 530d is 100nM !

Yet the difference seems larger in the first case,maybe due to the 2 extra cyl and bhp. Which is why I keep the 520d at our factory in Pune and 525d for my use here
The two cylinders might seem miniscule but they do pack a punch. I drove the 320i and the 325i and boy is the 325i quick and how. 325i heading home next week, white with saddle brown interiors.
i was wondering when you got the other one. Why did you not opt for the 530d for your use in Bombay. The price maybe one factor.
Old 1st October 2009, 23:42   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

My advise-

If you dont mind a discontinued car wait a bit and you'll good value E Class mercs after the recently launched Newer gen E.

If you love driving and have access to good roads dont look beyond a BMW 530d.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks