Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2013, 11:45   #31
BHPian

Re: Used BMW 320D, Merc C220 or Audi A4

Suggest to wait for one more year. You may be able to buy new X1, BMW 2 series (when 3 series upgraded to 4 series), benz CLA or A3 with maintenance package in the price range of 22-23 L. Premium 2nd hand cars likely to burn your hands. Even Landrover bringing entry levels to compet with those above in the range of 30 L.
Old 4th June 2013, 14:29   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Used BMW 320D, Merc C220 or Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
You are looking at used cars as a shortcut to owning a car which you probably cannot afford to buy new. Instead, you should be looking at used cars as a way of owning a car which you can afford to buy new - but at a lot lower price.
Very well said. The real maintenance starts after 3-4 years and by then warranty, zero-depreciation insurance, etc. would not be offered on these cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti.Rahul View Post
... this is the biggest gamble I am taking in my life with all the hard earned money and cannot afford to go very wrong.
These cars are neither cheap to maintain nor super reliable. So you should be ready to absorb some rude shocks financially if you want to venture here.
Old 15th June 2013, 12:54   #33
BHPian

Re: Key decision points for Audi A4 versus Mercedes C220 versus BMW 320D

Hi Fellows,

Thank you all for your advice. Much appreciated. Now I have been evaluating the pre owned Germans for a while now, and I have just one, one, one pointed question:

Apart from checking the service records, tell me one good way to ascertain whether the car is in need of some major repairs etc and whether there is impending money to be spent the moment I buy it. Why I ask this is because I cannot find a mechanic to take along with me to evaluate these cars, since most of the diagnostics are on board and electronic in nature. Now while I will drive the cars and check service records, there is no way to tell whats wrong with the car which is pending repairs and possible huge investment.

Be it A4, 3 Series or C Series, I am having no clue on how to ensure the car doesnt need major spending post purchase. If I take it to the sevice center (which some owners may allow, some not), what can ths ervice center guys tell me except service records? Whats the way to approach this situation? Should I just ask for the car to be taken to its respective sservice center and ask whether there is any pending thing to be done? Will those guys check it FoC?

Or do I just go through on board diagnostics and if all things are okay, I proceed to think that the engine and all other things are doing good?

Much appreciate the help in this matter, please help me out Sirs. I have raked my brains enough, cant seem to place the puzzle right

Ronnie
Old 15th June 2013, 18:47   #34

I have personally bought a Audi A6 preowned and will suggest you to get it fully checked from the respective service centre, in my case Audi charged me 3.5k for a comprehensive check up, which usually takes a day. And they tell you full services if need be any. Similarly all other german centers might also carry out such checks for a price. Also inspect alloy wheels individually for any damage, as you won't get a single replacement from outside and it's a major cost. I had 2 alloys with hairline cracks, spent a lot on the wheels...

Rest shouldn't be much of a worry, u don't need an independent appraiser... Also if taking a car loan, the bank sends its own appraiser.

Have fun..
Cheers
Bharat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti.Rahul View Post
Hi Fellows,

Thank you all for your advice. Much appreciated. Now I have been evaluating the pre owned Germans for a while now, and I have just one, one, one pointed question:

Apart from checking the service records, tell me one good way to ascertain whether the car is in need of some major repairs etc and whether there is impending money to be spent the moment I buy it. Why I ask this is because I cannot find a mechanic to take along with me to evaluate these cars, since most of the diagnostics are on board and electronic in nature. Now while I will drive the cars and check service records, there is no way to tell whats wrong with the car which is pending repairs and possible huge investment.

Be it A4, 3 Series or C Series, I am having no clue on how to ensure the car doesnt need major spending post purchase. If I take it to the sevice center (which some owners may allow, some not), what can ths ervice center guys tell me except service records? Whats the way to approach this situation? Should I just ask for the car to be taken to its respective sservice center and ask whether there is any pending thing to be done? Will those guys check it FoC?

Or do I just go through on board diagnostics and if all things are okay, I proceed to think that the engine and all other things are doing good?

Much appreciate the help in this matter, please help me out Sirs. I have raked my brains enough, cant seem to place the puzzle right

Ronnie
Old 25th February 2014, 16:50   #35
BHPian

Can someone please advise on the price for a Audi A4, 2.0 (diesel), Dec-2010, done 44k kms, white colour, Gurgaon registration. Top model with full service history and no accidents. Owner expecting around 17L. Quick advise will be greatly appreciated as I am going to take a look at it tomorrow morning. Advise on anything specific to look for while TDing will also help a lot.
Old 26th February 2014, 11:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Can someone please advise on the price for a Audi A4, 2.0 (diesel), Dec-2010, done 44k kms, white colour, Gurgaon registration. Top model with full service history and no accidents. Owner expecting around 17L. Quick advise will be greatly appreciated as I am going to take a look at it tomorrow morning. Advise on anything specific to look for while TDing will also help a lot.
Depreciateit as follows
Year 1 : 35%
Year 2 : 50%
Year 3 : 60%
Year 4 : 70%

Hence the residual value is < 30%. Calculate it on OTR less Insurance. So a 40L car should be around 12L with 1-2L lea way
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 12:32   #37
BHPian

Aroy,

I was depreciating it (and other luxury cars in general) as (25%)-(40%)-(50% to 55%) for 1, 2 and 3 years respectively. So was getting somewhere around 13-14L as the right price. Think will give this a miss as the owner is absolutely not willing to come down from 16L and I am in no hurry as my daily drive is a fun car (Octy vRS). I need something really tempting to switch
Old 26th February 2014, 12:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Aroy,

I was depreciating it (and other luxury cars in general) as (25%)-(40%)-(50% to 55%) for 1, 2 and 3 years respectively. So was getting somewhere around 13-14L as the right price. Think will give this a miss as the owner is absolutely not willing to come down from 16L and I am in no hurry as my daily drive is a fun car (Octy vRS). I need something really tempting to switch
There is a difference in the depreciation as calculated for Insurance and for Capital goods and market reality. Luxury cars, especially European brands tend to depreciate faster after the warranty is over, due to excesive maintenance costs.
Old 31st March 2015, 19:34   #39
BHPian

Reviving an old thread. I have been offered a 2009 C220 CDi Avantgarde by a close friend of mine. This is Silver in color with some stunning wheels. This has clocked about 90k. Aesthetically the car looks fantastic. Need to run a diagnostic check on the car. The price this is being offered at is quite honest i.e. 12 lacs. Recently this has gone through a service which cost him 1 lac (will understand this more in detail with my friend).

With the above said, do you reckon I go in for this and what should I be prepared for!
Old 3rd December 2015, 01:20   #40
BHPian

Pls also check with other C220 CDi 2nd hand cars available in the market, you may find same age cars with less odo reading .
Old 30th April 2017, 19:35   #41
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Audi A4 35 TDI v/s Mercedes C250d v/s BMW 320d comparison by Autocar.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-404686.aspx/0

Key decision points for Audi A4 versus Mercedes C220 versus BMW 320D-all.jpg
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks