Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2010, 19:38   #1
BHPian

Which car to buy - Muscat

Hi Friends,

I am moving to Muscat in dec 10 and would like to buy a car there once I get the license. My budget would be 10000-14000 OMR( very streched). I drive a ANHC here and love to drive another bigger sedan ( happy revving engine pref 3.6 V6, 0-100, handling at high speeds and gadgets are very very important). Resale value is also very important. My purchase date wud be Apr-May 2011, so please also let me know if you know of any great launches by that time

I have shortlisted Nissan Altima 3.6, 2012 Kia cadenza( Awesome features 3.6 ) Merc C class( Merc is a Merc .. I know i wud get a max 1.8L or 2L for that price) Skoda Superb( GCC has only 1.8 L engine and I doubt its resale) , VW Passat and BMW 3 series if i strech my already very streched budget by 1-2K OMR

Appreciate your response, and also suggest if I shud also look for a second-hand ( max 1 yrs old) cars.

Thank you all.

Sudhir
PS: Mods please move to other section if you feel apt
Old 24th October 2010, 20:54   #2
BHPian

Sudhir,
Test drive the Chev Lumina, V6 also before you take a decision. This is a RWD car from The Australian Holden stables and rebadged Chevrolet for the middle east. Its a heavy car with good roadholding at high speeds, a bit heavy on fuel.....
Old 27th October 2010, 11:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhir3127 View Post
Hi Friends,
I am moving to Muscat in dec 10 and would like to buy a car there once I get the license.
1. Are you planning to bring your vehicle to India, in that case you need an RHD (if allowed in Oman)
2. How are SUV's priced in Oman? I think that you can get a decent 4x4 at 3 series budget. That will give you tremendous flexibility in exploring the country.
3. As you have time, please explore the second hand vehicle market. I believe that Dubai has a huge display of pre-owned European & Japanese vehicles. You never know, you may come across an excellent piece at just the right price.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:25   #4
BHPian

Hi All ,
I have shortlisted few cars . Appreciate your take on these

1. Honda Accord V6
2. Nissan Altima/Maxima - V6
3. Audi A4 1.8 T
4. Skoda (octavia) Laura vRS
5. Merc C180 Kompressor
6. BMW 3 series.

All the above cars fall under 15K OMR( ~ Rs 18Lakhs). My priority would be great pick up. fun to drive , handling and reliability.

Thanks
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhir3127 View Post
Hi All ,
I have shortlisted few cars . Appreciate your take on these

1. Honda Accord V6
2. Nissan Altima/Maxima - V6
3. Audi A4 1.8 T
4. Skoda (octavia) Laura vRS
5. Merc C180 Kompressor
6. BMW 3 series.

All the above cars fall under 15K OMR( ~ Rs 18Lakhs). My priority would be great pick up. fun to drive , handling and reliability.

Thanks
How long do you plan to keep the car? And how is the service backup of the Germans?

If you just want a nice trouble free monster and still save some cash stick with the accord or Maxima V6. Mind it, Fuel bills will be huge.
But have read in akshay1234's ownership review that the handling of the V6 version he has is not upto the mark compared to its power.
Dont know about the new gen Accord.
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
How long do you plan to keep the car? And how is the service backup of the Germans?

If you just want a nice trouble free monster and still save some cash stick with the accord or Maxima V6. Mind it, Fuel bills will be huge.
But have read in akshay1234's ownership review that the handling of the V6 version he has is not upto the mark compared to its power.
Dont know about the new gen Accord.
I might be there in muscat for 2-3 yrs . so will have the car 3 yrs max. The german serivce is good in oman . IIRC the new Honda accord 3.5 V6 gives a mileage of 9-10 in city. though i m not worried about pertrol as it costs ~ 10 rs per litre there.

The handling part of V6 is a news to me. Cananyone please confirm this.
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:52   #7
BHPian

Here is the link to akshay1234's thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-handling.html

PS; Could you FedEx me some petrol
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:21   #8
BHPian

Oman is a vast country! If you plan to get out of the city and explore the country, a vehicle with a little off-roading capabilities would be better, as there are lots of areas with asphalt-less roads and hills (jabals) where sedans will find it difficult to venture!

The new Hyundai Tucson would be a good option. The soft roader's pricing starts at a little above 6K, and the fully loaded 2.4L AWD comes at around 9K.

The top end version comes with:
Quote:
6 speed AT, AWD, down hill brake control, dual-zone automatic a/c, panoramic glass roof, cruise control, smart key with starter button, leather upholstery, rear spoiler, roof rails, power driver-side seat, stereo with subwoofer and iPod cable, rear sensors and camera, chrome door handles, electric folding mirrors, 18-inch alloy wheels, and improved safety features such as ABS with stability control, active headrests and two front airbags

Last edited by Abes : 3rd December 2010 at 16:33.
Old 4th December 2010, 12:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you plan to buy an SUV and bring it back, I would suggest that you get an RHD Diesel SUV. Avoid petrol as that would tax you in India.

My ideal vehicle would be a MT Toyota Prado with a diesel power plant. http://www.toyotaoman.com/prado/pdf/prado3L.pdf or if you prefer petrol with manual http://www.toyotaoman.com/prado/pdf/prado2_7L.pdf

Both the 3L turbo diesel and 2.7L petrol have same power. The 4L petrol is of course more powerful, but would be a liability in India.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:55   #10
BHPian

Re: Which car to buy - Muscat

Okai ... Some things have changed and after loads of reviews on the net and Team-bhp, Im now inclined towards a JAGUAR XF. A 3lt V6 petrol Luxury ( GCC doesnt get a diesel engine:( ) cost around 15000 OME( 17 Lakhs INR). What do you guys feel about this petrol engine. I have tried and tired looking for reviews on JAG XF V6 petrol but there arent any.

So here Iam asking for help from some of the best petrol heads in the world .

Pour in your suggestions.
Old 10th December 2010, 13:22   #11
BHPian

Re: Which car to buy - Muscat

@sudhir,

The license in MCT is like a PHD in itself, I have heard horror stories. IF you are coming directly on an Express Visa, then you are allowed to drive till your Residency is etablished.

To drive while on Express Visa do get your IDP along, Indian License does not permit you to drive.

Secondly, do ensure that your license is atleast 2 years old, as the intiial tests are waived off, else you need to do the Parallel parking and slope and drum tests as well.

PM for any further inputs u might require,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks