Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2011, 19:41   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Audi A4 3.2 Tfsi versus Audi A4 3.0 TDi

Nice position it must be, to be choosing between two rockstar A4 variants

The 3.2 FSI would be more fun when it comes to high-revving (and that engine is w-i-l-d). A petrol is definitely a petrol when it comes to fast corners, heavy engine braking and the sheer pleasure of redlining a car to 7,000 on a lone, empty road.

However, the 3.0 TDI beats the 3.2 FSI in every other area. For one, you don't need to worry about high octane petrol. The 3.0 TDI is quick from standstill but, importantly, murders the 3.2 FSI in mid-range. It's a lot more practical too. Germans are built for long drives and that's where the TDI's kpl, long tank range and ability to sip fuel from highway pumps score big time. Diesel engines are generally more robust; European diesels have traditionally proven more reliable than their petrol sisters too.

Get the A4 3.0 TDi. You won't regret it.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2011, 20:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Between the 2 I'd choose the TDI, reason being like others said you pretty much will get 98% of the fun for a lot less, and AFAIK in India diesels work out a lot more reliable over the gasoline motors (Part experience).

But if you do think of getting to the 530D, trust me not one moment in it will make you feel like you are in an older man's car, I know this because I drive one and it only brings a smile every time you overtake any thing esp. at mid ranges, I am sure the A4 will offer you the similar power but you will have access to the 5 easier and perhaps a few more goodies like Rear Screens, and I am not sure on this but someone said they will add Sat Nav too on it, ( I am not sure on this so do verify with the dealer )

Stick to the Audi A4 3.0 TDI or 530d,

Regards,

P.S On a side note you will soon have the new A6 3.0 TDI too, and considering they are CKD cars your on the road price between A4 and 530d etc might not be much.
Old 28th March 2011, 22:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice position it must be, to be choosing between two rockstar A4 variants.
it certainly is a very fortunate position.

I just found out from the dealer that several options such as convenience key, B&O speakers, 6 cd changer etc are optional. Thats a huge letdown; i thought the top variant would atleast have a 6cd changer.

question: whats the difference between a s-tronic and tiptronic transmission? pardon my ignorance.

thanks,
Old 29th March 2011, 06:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

S-tronic is dual clutch DSG (now 7 speed I think)

Tiptronic is regular auto (torque coverter)
Old 29th March 2011, 12:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think fellow members got carried away with the engines/price point and thus A4 3.0 is being compared with 530d/XF? They are different segments alright, given the chance I will prefer the 530d rather than A4.

Also, Jag is an instant head turner than the 5. The owner loves both, he uses 530d as daily drive XF for special occasions.

OT: My next door neighbor has a white gorgeous A6 but and its a big but, the car does not have any road presence in the parking lot, he has started complaining about it after 6 months. E/5 both get more respect at the porch. Oh he so wanted that, now he is stuck with the bigger A4. No offence meant to any owner/company; its a perception issue with the uninitiated crowd.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:05   #21
BHPian

530d. No debates about this one if your budget allows for it. As Sn1per said - Its a higher segment and it shows. In every aspect. Drivability isn't the only criteria otherwise you might as well get the EVO X.

You don't want to be stuck in limbo for 4-6 months and it would suck if you get the car now and the expected 2012 A4 facelift/interior/mmi upgrade happens next year. Also - there is a facelift expected for the 2012/13 XF.

I don't know about others, but I try and hold off on my purchases to hit an all new model or mid-life facelift. Nothing worse than making an expensive purchase only to have an idiot ask - 'Oh, you got the old model. Must have gotten a discount huh'

Last edited by Speeding@160mph : 29th March 2011 at 14:06.
Old 29th March 2011, 16:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
expected 2012 A4 facelift/interior/mmi upgrade happens next year.
tried googling but couldnt find any information on when exactly this is happening and what areas are specifically getting a facelift. Please gimme source of your info.

I guess it would make sense to wait if Audi releases the facelifted A4 in first quarter of next year, but if internationally it's released later next year and then it takes some more time to release here and then Audi takes its own sweet time to deliver I'll be looking at a 2 year wait.
Old 30th March 2011, 10:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantmohan View Post
tried googling but couldnt find any information on when exactly this is happening and what areas are specifically getting a facelift. Please gimme source of your info.

I guess it would make sense to wait if Audi releases the facelifted A4 in first quarter of next year, but if internationally it's released later next year and then it takes some more time to release here and then Audi takes its own sweet time to deliver I'll be looking at a 2 year wait.

The so called face-lift is not before 2013, i remember asking the guys here at Audi. As far as anything else about other cars being from a higher segment yada yada, all i will say is, if you get the chance, JUST DRIVE IT (3.0 tdi A4) & then decide.
Yes ofcourse the XF and 530D are from a higher segment and ideally should not be compared to this A4 variant but as far as driving experience or anything else for that matter is concerned, i would be shocked if this A4 fails to excite you as much as , or probably more than any other diesel monster out there. I repeat, if you get the chance, drive it & then take your pick.
Good luck.
Old 30th March 2011, 10:58   #24
dot
Senior - BHPian

Joining the discussion a little late.

@Nishantmohan, Based on personal experiences of TBHP members and reviews on the net, there is no question that 3.0TDi is probably the more exciting car to be in. The 0-100 numbers (6.1 sec) are probably the best bang for the buck across a couple of segments. Since you will be driving the car 99% time (as you mentioned), I think 3.0 TDi makes the best choice. I mean, it is not everyday that one buys an Audi!
Old 30th March 2011, 11:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Joining the discussion a little late.

@Nishantmohan, Based on personal experiences of TBHP members and reviews on the net, there is no question that 3.0TDi is probably the more exciting car to be in. The 0-100 numbers (6.1 sec) are probably the best bang for the buck across a couple of segments. Since you will be driving the car 99% time (as you mentioned), I think 3.0 TDi makes the best choice. I mean, it is not everyday that one buys an Audi!

The manual takes 6.1 to the ton. Since we have the tiptronic variant here, that takes 6.2 secs which still, is marginally quicker than the others
Old 30th March 2011, 12:04   #26
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
The manual takes 6.1 to the ton. Since we have the tiptronic variant here, that takes 6.2 secs which still, is marginally quicker than the others
Difference between manual and AT is 0.1 sec in a 0-100 dash! That shows what a high end tranny can do.
Old 30th March 2011, 14:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantmohan View Post
Please gimme source of your info.
No Source - Standard Mid-Life Upgrade. B8 A4 Launched in 2007 as a 2008 model. Expected Mid Life upgrade in 2012 late as a 2013 model.

I have no idea what the 'facelift'/upgrades would entail but know it will definitely be here by 2013. Should you wait for it? No. Should you care enough that your car will be slightly outdated in 18 months? Entirely your prerogative.

The 5 is a better car. The A4 might be a better car to drive, but how much does that really count in our daily traffcked lives?
Old 6th April 2011, 16:48   #28
BHPian

hey nishantmohan!! I would say go and book the diesel one. It will take 5-6 months for delivery. You'll cry in middle of night waiting for it. You might howl at 12 on full moon night with the neighborhood dog. It will hurt so much that you won't be able to bear. But, then the day you actually get your car and press the accelerator half way down with a tepid anticipation...just imagine!!
Old 6th April 2011, 17:16   #29
BHPian

Forget all the other reasons, the depreciation of the 3.2 FSI is reason enough to go for the diesel
Old 8th April 2011, 10:43   #30

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2011 at 17:31.
roadscorpio is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks