Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 17:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Turbo'ing a Ford Fiesta S: A Pilot Study

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I am back!!!
Just an hour after driving a beauty of a car called the Skoda Octavia 1.8 Supercharged Petrol, I am in an absolute frenzy and I wish to study the possibility of having a supercharger or a turbocharger on my Ford Fiesta S.
It's a very premature decision and needs a lot of effort, time and money, but if it has to be done, we gotta do it in style. BUT, it's going to be a daily driver, so reliability is a top concern. The short time and distance that I drove the the Skoda gave me an idea of how much fun it is to wind the turbo and feel the thrust. But that was just for a short period
If somehow all this power could be harnessed at low revs, adding valuable torque and power low down, making city driving a cinch, the real benefit of fitting a turbo would be realized in my car, since the Ford is quite lazy at lower revs. Imagine owning a turbo'ed Fiesta S!! I wet my pants just thinking about that!!

So, let's discuss how feasible it is,
1. Whether it's going to be a supercharger or a turbocharger.
2. How reliable is it going to be?
3. Is there a tuner in Mumbai who is comfortable working with Fords?
4. How difficult is conversion and what are the changes I am looking at?
5. How much will it cost?
6. Are my internals strong enough to bear the thrust of a turbo?
7. What kind of turbo? I don't want too much thrust. Something that will alter the handling characteristics of a beautifully balanced car such as the S is a total FAIL. Too much boost is not required. Again, this car is more for city jaunts, and hence the driveability factor is extremely important.

Fire away, guys and girls. Let's hear it from you people!!! <EXCITED>
Old 12th May 2011, 18:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Turbo'ing a Ford Fiesta S: A Pilot Study

Electric Supercharger 5 PSI Vortex

How would this do???
Old 12th May 2011, 18:11   #3
BHPian

Dude there are loads of tuners out there who think they know turbos but then who would you trust out here in Mumbai?
funny eh?
with all those blowers in town and not one trustworthy mech.
KS could be the safest bet as he has a dyno also theres AR Motosport.
at borivili you have Chintan from Wheels.
but let me tell you one thing, most tuners just have the parts and ask maybe a BAR or automech to do the piping et al and ask Kartik to come down and do the ECM tuning
as for turbo or SC i feel turbo as its tried and tested.
its going to cost you 1.5 lks if you know the right people.
not too difficult , just that its going to be a one off custom build.
hope that helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post

dude are you serious???
thats just a conjob!!
dont waste your money.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th May 2011 at 13:39. Reason: Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:17   #4
BANNED

The fiesta has a very good low rev response, so a supercharger won't be that great when compared to a turbo charged fiesta 1.6. One more thing that you can do is that you can forget the idea of a turbo or a supercharger and get a bigger duratec engine from cosworth india (i guess they are available).

I have no technical details about any of this stuff that i told you but if i had to get something like this done up, i would go for a bigger cosworth duratec engine .

heres a link

http://www.cosworth.com/Default.aspx?id=1093909

look at the various options.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 12th May 2011 at 18:20.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 18:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Frank - why not something simpler like this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-petefied.html

i guess it is tried and tested take care.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 18:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Skoda Octavia 1.8 Supercharged Petrol

The octi RS is Turbocharged, not Supercharged!

I dunno about tuners in Mumbai, but i've seen a 1.3 Ikon being turbo'ed by Red rooster!!
Old 12th May 2011, 18:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Frank, you are really back with a bang!

Turbo for a Fiesta, sounds interesting! There is another thread where a Swift was fit with a turbocharger and running on stock internals.

What happened to the FFE you were planning on the S?

BTW, you need to have better stopping power before you want to make it more faster. So a brake upgrade is quite inevitable and you can keep the costs worked out as well!
Old 12th May 2011, 22:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Have you heard of RRP ? Don't think beyond that, IF you want a reliable car. I am not sure they have a kit for the Fiesta 1.6, though it is totally worth it to check it out. Reliable / expertise / dyno / headers / FFE all rolled into one

Check them out before taking any call

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 12th May 2011 at 22:08.
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 22:16   #9
BHPian

I can't express in simple words just about how much the title of this thread excites me... the very prospect of flooring the S, followed by a moment's lapse... and voila - there into the far distance she goes! Glued to this thread. I know it's only a concept as of now, but I can't help but drool. Do go ahead... please don't let this wicked thought get lost!
ayushagarwal26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 22:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Here is another petrolhead smitten by the TUBRO BUG...

I second Ricky about RRP! Though I am quite a few step away from TCing my Civic, even a thought of driving a 200+ BHP Civic is enough to make me grin!

Good luck with your project Frank; with more power oodled in Fiesta's fine chassis, I am sure it could become a hoot to drive!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 23:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

This should be a stonker of a project, if executed well. A GREAT car to begin with, made even better is always a killer combination!
Old 13th May 2011, 00:31   #12
BHPian

Frank,

Absolutely glued to this! I spoke sometime back to Sangeeth from RRP about TC'ing my 1.6 as well and the costs seemed to be reaching around 2. And he was pretty confident about pulling it off safely. I particularly called out reliability and driveability as my main two concerns and he assured me that would be taken care of. Gave me a ride their TC'ed swift to convince me and boy, that Swift was a beauty! Pulled cleanly from 20 in the 4th gear as well.

My Fiesta had just run about 4-5k then I had decided to hold on till about 15k. And I am at 14k now.

So,go ahead and take the plunge. I will follow you closely behind.

EDIT: I would suggest not looking beyond RRP as well. If any one can guarantee reliability, it's them. And you should see the set-up they have here in Bangalore - the best you can get I guess.

Last edited by niranjanrvce : 13th May 2011 at 00:38.
Old 13th May 2011, 01:17   #13
BHPian

Hey Frank,
Nice to know you are getting some serious modifications in terms of performance. I have no clue about Fords so wont be able to chip in with respect to that but I can tell you one thing for sure, before jumping to any decision,do your research right.Spend lots of time doing that.This will help you take a well informed decision and avoid any unwanted heartburns later on.
Also think seriously whether you are ready to be patient and dedicated to remain involved in the project throughout or else I would say reconsider your decision.In that case, get basic mods done and leave it at that.
I am not trying to dampen your spirit here but having seen several examples of failed builds just because the owner didnt bother too much,I felt I should alert you.

Anyway, if you do decide to go ahead, Best of Luck
Amey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 08:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Hey Frank,
Nice to know you are getting some serious modifications in terms of performance. I have no clue about Fords so wont be able to chip in with respect to that but I can tell you one thing for sure, before jumping to any decision,do your research right.Spend lots of time doing that.This will help you take a well informed decision and avoid any unwanted heartburns later on.
Also think seriously whether you are ready to be patient and dedicated to remain involved in the project throughout or else I would say reconsider your decision.In that case, get basic mods done and leave it at that.
I am not trying to dampen your spirit here but having seen several examples of failed builds just because the owner didnt bother too much,I felt I should alert you.

Anyway, if you do decide to go ahead, Best of Luck
What he said x 100.

Do you know which engine you have inside the bay? What has been done internationally on the engine? What are the weaknesses in the engine? Knowing you, I'd recommend bolt-ons and nothing else, no offense taken hopefully. Running and maintaining a modified car is a big task unless you've done everything yourself and you know what can go wrong. Don't spend money without understanding everything. Enough can be done to the intake and exhaust to keep you happy for a long time.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 10:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I shall be watching this, zenmaster......
you are tenacious, so i am sure if you start it you wont leave it half baked....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks