Team-BHP - Advice on CNG Conversion
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Advice on CNG Conversion (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/101797-advice-cng-conversion.html)

Hey guys,
Well, I searched with the keyword CNG in this forum, but didn't find any valuable piece of information about CNG. So I posted this topic specially dedicated to CNG kits.

Well, I definitely want to and am going to install a new CNG or LPG kit in my esteem. But I am very confused about which one I should go for - CNG or LPG. I have heard that CNG is better than LPG because LPG damages the engine, whereas CNG doesn't have any effect on it.

please: give me your opinion?

Since you are in Delhi, you can go for CNG. I dont think one is more damaging than the other. CNG is stored at a much higher pressure so you need a pretty beefy tank. Also filling time is longer due to the higher pressure. I suggest you stop by a CNG filling station and take a look for yourself.

U must be confused,"mask". I think u're confused about the legal LPG and the cylinder kits.

Anyways, what car do u drive? Pls give more info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous
U must be confused,"mask". I think u're confused about the legal LPG and the cylinder kits.

Anyways, what car do u drive? Pls give more info.

Legal Lpg, Cylinderical kit???????

What in the world does these two above mentioned things have to do with CNG....
CNG= Compressed Natural gas
LPG=Liquefied Petroleum Gas

Well any ways the car tht i drive is an Esteem I

That brings up the question...does converting into CNG have any negetives that should be considered.
> I am not sure how the performance is impacted.
> Is the CNG conversion safe enough.
> Does it have enough benefits to justify the change?
> Is warranty of the car at risk with such a conversion (Engine).

Any suggestions!!

Dude..install any LPG or CNG, ur milage will be increased. But, just note that CNG kit will be costly.

In Ahmd the CNG kit costs around 50k whereas LPG is around 15k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ?ushk@r
Dude..install any LPG or CNG, ur milage will be increased.

but i read some where that your milage will decrease by about 1kmpl but since the refills are cheaper then petrol its still more economical.

My cousin had put in cng on their esteem.
They ran it for more than a year. There was a small switch to change between petrol and cng. so within city they would use cng and for long distance trips it would be petrol.

The running costs came down to 1/3rd. The cost of the kit was 35K and they recovered the investment in less than one year since their in city running was to the tune of 25000kms+

On the power front cng resulted in slight loss of power, but as a fuel its really good for the engine because being a gas there are no deposits left in injectors etc.,(It was MPFI esteem).

Well first of all after installing Cng wht i heard is that milage increases,And the best Cng kit available comes nothing more than 37K anywhere, that much i m sure of.

And these days even esteem is coming with company installed Cng kits

Quote:

Originally Posted by nishant_kingpin
That brings up the question...does converting into CNG have any negatives that should be considered.
> I am not sure how the performance is impacted.
> Is the CNG conversion safe enough.
> Does it have enough benefits to justify the change?
> Is warranty of the car at risk with such a conversion (Engine).

We know that diesel vehicles have a high price because of the cost benefit. If CNG conversion comes at half the price and the performance doesn't change why not have CNG as a standard model available from the manufacturers....Any thoughts!!

our old amby has it
think cielo had it
maruti van too i think

more time for 0-100 or whatever than when compared with petrol
its pretty safe.
cheaper i guess ( what the rate, guys?)
warranty! now tehr ! someone pls..( i think you will kill the warranty, coz you bought a petrol car with warranty)

I have heard that LPG is more damaging than CNG, though the logic behind it was unacceptable to me (the former is more dry than latter). Genuine LPG costs you around 17000/- with 60ltrs capacity & capable to fill up around 46 liters of LPG. Gives you slightly better mileage than petrol (10%) & can last up to 500 kms without refill. This negates the limited no. of lpg filling stations as compared to CNG in Delhi.
Price: Rs 26 per ltr.
With CNG, you can install 14 kg cylinder with capacity of around 12 kg for Rs 40000. This gives 10-20 % more mileage than petrol but will require frequent refills (range 150-200kms). This has more filling stations than LPG. Cost: Rs 18 per kg.

For having them registered, you need to pay around 2000/- more. This, then will also be covered in car's insurance. The registration is done with some numbered kits, whose manufacturers are listed with the registration authority. In case you opt pls check that the kit is genuine and registration done.

Tarun

Just curious to know the long term effects of using CNG.

What is the effect on the engine(MPFI Engines).
Is there any change in the Torque/Power?

How do these kits behave after a year? any maintainance costs?

Can one remove the kit and continue to use pertol Only ?

Can we use a K&N filter with a CNG Kit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by somebodystopme
Well first of all after installing Cng wht i heard is that milage increases,And the best Cng kit available comes nothing more than 37K anywhere, that much i m sure of.

From what I have heard and read, mileage increases with CNG while it comes down a little with LPG. Also, unlike petrol or diesel which are measured in terms of litres, CNG/LPG are measured (and sold) in KGs. 1 KG of CNG is supposedly more than a litre. There was a news report in Economic Times recently which said that Maruti provides factory-fitted CNG kits in all its cars on order but I found this report to be incorrect after checking out with two Maruti dealers. I was told that Omni was the only vehicle provided with factory-fitted CNG kit and even that has been stopped now. Omni now comes with an LPG kit.

From what I understand, there is a shortage of natural gas all over the country. (Remember, banks have stopped financing gas based power projects because of this and are only giving loans to coal based thermal power projects). Hence, all this talk of Iran-Pakistan-India gas pipeline. There appears to be tacit understanding between the govt. and vehicle manufacturers not to manufacture and sell gas-based vehicles in large numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by somebodystopme

I had asked one Esteem driver some months back what average he got with CNG. He replied "20" and that too in city. When I asked him how much milegae the car had done with CNG, he said 1 lakh KMS without any problems faced. I have heard that CNG is particulary successful in the Esteem probably because of its high power to weight ratio that compensates for the loss of power involved in driving with CNG mode.

A Baleno driver recently told me that he got 15-16 KMs per KG in city with CNG.

Virtually all taxi's use CNG here and have 50K+ km on them. I have CNG on two corrola's and from 20K km each there's no trouble yet. Performence gets hit a bit depending on the kit( see my CNg thread for details).