Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 13:46   #1
BHPian

Beware - scented sachet ruined my faux-wood finish!

I usually keep a room freshener spray in the car - I don't like anything on kept the dash/hanging from vents.

So, when I saw this product in Lifestyle (Illuminations Scented Sachet) I thought I'd give it a go - kept it above the cup-holders cover for a couple of weeks and forgot all about it.

When I removed it a couple of days ago....got a shock! The pics tell the story.
The 'plastic layer' on the faux wood has wrinkled up.

Grateful for any good suggestion on how to 'de-wrinkle'? :(

Needless to say, STAY AWAY from stuff like this!
Attached Thumbnails
Beware - scented sachet ruined my faux-wood finish!-img283.jpg  

Beware - scented sachet ruined my faux-wood finish!-img284.jpg  

Beware - scented sachet ruined my faux-wood finish!-img281.jpg  

Beware - scented sachet ruined my faux-wood finish!-img282.jpg  

Old 17th July 2011, 13:48   #2

Re: Beware - scented sachet ruined my faux-wood finish!

Its not the fault of the scented tissue, it is your fault. These are not meant to be room fresheners. If you use them in way other than directed, and then you find fault with them, isnt that quite unfair?
Old 17th July 2011, 14:21   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Its not the fault of the scented tissue, it is your fault. These are not meant to be room fresheners. If you use them in way other than directed, and then you find fault with them, isnt that quite unfair?
Lol, before you go finger pointing, you are at fault for not looking at the pics properly!

Read the back of the pack - says clearly you can use it in cars. The sales person at Lifestyle re-affirmed that too. Lesson learnt.
Old 17th July 2011, 14:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Lol, before you go finger pointing, you are at fault for not looking at the pics properly!

Read the back of the pack - says clearly you can use it in cars. The sales person at Lifestyle re-affirmed that too. Lesson learnt.
Why use garbage like this and ruin your car ? Buy a can of My Shaldan and forget about everything else.
No sachet, No liquid, no clip on to your aircon ducts.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...beleive-7.html
Old 17th July 2011, 14:27   #5

But they also say who you should not put it on a polish/painted or synthetic surface etc etc. What the car part means I am sure is that you can have them in your glove box or in the boot etc. BTW, now that this has happened, I will let you in on a lil secret. For a nice scented interior, instead of using this, use wet tissues. They work very well. And you can throw them away after two or three days and replace them I always keep a pack in all my cars. They are very useful for both wiping your face and making the car smell nice..
Cyrus43 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 14:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
But they also say who you should not put it on a polish/painted or synthetic surface etc etc. What the car part means I am sure is that you can have them in your glove box or in the boot etc. BTW, now that this has happened, I will let you in on a lil secret. For a nice scented interior, instead of using this, use wet tissues. They work very well. And you can throw them away after two or three days and replace them I always keep a pack in all my cars. They are very useful for both wiping your face and making the car smell nice..
hmm, love the wet tissue idea! Any idea cyrus on how to repair? Everytime I look at it, a tear flows out..
Old 17th July 2011, 14:54   #7

Quote:
hmm, love the wet tissue idea! Any idea cyrus on how to repair? Everytime I look at it, a tear flows out..
I can imagine. I felt the same when my carbonfibre was ruined. sadly, there is n solution. You would need to change this, or maybe have a sticker or something on this.
Old 22nd October 2011, 14:18   #8
BHPian

DI-NOCed my cup holder!

This was the sad story of my cup holder

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...od-finish.html

The dealership said I needed to order a new cup-holder assembly. Car accessory shops helpfully suggested a 'sticker'. I browsed around a bit and stumbled upon 3M Dinoc vinyl with faux carbon fibre finish.

Bought it from ebay, paid around $9 for a 12*8 inch piece. Came within a week from Slovakia

Cleaned the surface with a toothbrush and CIF to even out the creases. Stuck the finish on and used a hair dryer to stretch and stick it better at the edges. The material is fabulously easy to tack on for my skill level - (I went nuts trying to install a Amzer screen guard on my touchphone)

The end results with before and after pictures...

The sob story...
Beware - scented sachet ruined my faux-wood finish!-img281.jpg

The Thar desert
Beware - scented sachet ruined my faux-wood finish!-img282.jpg

My work!
Beware - scented sachet ruined my faux-wood finish!-img368.jpg

The finish is matt, not glossy like conventional CF
Beware - scented sachet ruined my faux-wood finish!-img369.jpg

The cup holder lid now..
Beware - scented sachet ruined my faux-wood finish!-img377.jpg

One more...
Beware - scented sachet ruined my faux-wood finish!-img378.jpg

There's some more of that stuff left and I'm wondering whether to do the ORVMs - would go well with my silver paint!
Attached Thumbnails
Beware - scented sachet ruined my faux-wood finish!-img371.jpg  

d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 14:41   #9
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Re: DI-NOCed my cup holder!

Very neat job. The cup holder cover looks good and somehow gels with the surroundings. It looks more like a Carbon Fibre finish on the top. Well done
Old 22nd October 2011, 14:49   #10
BHPian

Re: DI-NOCed my cup holder!

Quote:
This was the sad story of my cup holder

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...od-finish.html

The dealership said I needed to order a new cup-holder assembly. Car accessory shops helpfully suggested a 'sticker'. I browsed around a bit and stumbled upon 3M Dinoc vinyl with faux carbon fibre finish.

Bought it from ebay, paid around $9 for a 12*8 inch piece. Came within a week from Slovakia

Cleaned the surface with a toothbrush and CIF to even out the creases. Stuck the finish on and used a hair dryer to stretch and stick it better at the edges. The material is fabulously easy to tack on for my skill level - (I went nuts trying to install a Amzer screen guard on my touchphone)

The end results with before and after pictures...

The sob story...
Attachment 830732

The Thar desert
Attachment 830733

My work!
Attachment 830734

The finish is matt, not glossy like conventional CF
Attachment 830735

The cup holder lid now..
Attachment 830737

One more...
Attachment 830738

There's some more of that stuff left and I'm wondering whether to do the ORVMs - would go well with my silver paint!
Good job dude. Have seen Di Noc catalogue has hell a lot of finishes. But again, does not work well if there is a regular hand contact.
Old 24th October 2011, 09:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
Good job dude. Have seen Di Noc catalogue has hell a lot of finishes. But again, does not work well if there is a regular hand contact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Very neat job. The cup holder cover looks good and somehow gels with the surroundings. It looks more like a Carbon Fibre finish on the top. Well done
Thanks guys!

haithereitsme: it feels pretty tough to me. 3M apparently has an obscene 4yr/12 yr outdoor/indoor life expectancy. There are also people putting it on their steering wheels instead of regular steering covers - plenty of hand contact.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks