Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Restored a 2000 Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Could you post details about the costs involved, and what procedures the car underwent?
Any plans for a performance add-on or two?
Thanks for your appreciation first of all.
Well, no performance upgrades planned for the moment, but, yes, when this engine loses its steam, I might go for a new engine. I have a lot of doubts in that front for which I will consult the forum. That is mainly regarding whether or not it would be a good idea to change the block (Half-Engine in Maruti terminology) of my 1L Zen with that of the Esteem's 1.3 after reconditioning the head?
This will not happen anytime soon, but later, when my Zen's original engine dies at say 2-3L km.
All I need is enough power for the car to bear the load of the AC compressor which I might change with the one on the Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet.S View Post
Sorry for nitpicking - but the bonnet edge doesn't line up straight with top part of front grille (encircled area). Pretty nice outcome otherwise!
Wow Puneet! That was the first thing I noticed when I was browsing through the pics I had clicked. At that very moment, I went to my driveway and adjusted two rubber stoppers that are screwed just above and beside each of the headlights beneath the bonnet. The two stoppers were not screwed to the same level. I screwed them to the same height and now, that mis-alignment is gone.
The bonnet rests on these stoppers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Nice job there.

I think this version of the Zen was the best!

Are the rear tail-lamps not original MGA? The red part looks a bit too much.

Why a new front windshield?

How has the tyre upsize affected ride quality and stability?

Any particular reason why you didn't go for body-coloured bumpers?

Overall, one helluva car. Have a great time driving around!
The Tail lamps are Genuine Maruti (Lumax branded), it is the camera playing tricks as I had the Red colour filter ON by mistake which accentuates the red areas in the pictures. And the tail lamps are themselves new, shiny and blood red thereby causing such an effect.

The front windshield had a lot of swirls over it and this would cause the light from oncoming cars to diffuse dangerously while driving at night. Hence, I agreed to changing it when Mr. Pradeep advised.

The tyre upsize is simply amazing. There is hardly a change in the ride quality but, the handling and grip has increased by a huge margin. The tyre's rolling noise is hardly audible.
I am happy that I were able to get my favourite design of alloy wheels that I had visualized in my mind at Sai Mag Wheels. And the best part, many people on the forum had complained of tyres scraping on humps when they used 5.5J Alloys.
In my case, there is no scraping anywhere. This is because, even though I use 5.5J wheels, the offset of the wheels that I bought is 38 which is marginally less than 45 which is Zen's stock offset.
What I understood after a lot of searching in the market for the perfect alloys for my Zen is that the offset available in 13" is mostly pretty less (in 20s mostly). This causes the wheels to jut out from the wheel well and scrape with the fender under load.
This was the last set available with Sai Mag Wheels and I immediately booked them for my Zen as I was completely mesmerised by the design and looks of these wheels. Personally, they look beautiful to me on Pepper Grey. And everybody who has seen my car in real, has appreciated my choice of wheels.

I did not go for body-coloured bumpers as, in my mind, I could see that it would make my Zen look smaller in height and "muscle" if you know what I mean.
The bumpers on Zen, Alto, 800 etc. are pretty small and once they are body-coloured, its almost like there are no bumpers at all!
Black bumpers give my Zen a distinct character and a rugged look, it adds a little bit of muscle and along with Black wheels and tyres <-- and those door mouldings, they together give a nice contrast and a lot of character.
To me, my Zen looks much more macho with matte-black bumpers.
This is my personal and humble opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
you'd need to use Waxpol Vinyl and leather polish from time to time to keep the shine on.
Thanks for your appreciation.
Well, I got the bumpers and all the black parts like the mouldings, wiper arms, door handles, ORVM, front grill etc. painted in matte black+matte clear, this helps to prevent the "greying" of plastic parts and the clear acts as a protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanyd1711 View Post
Hey Nice looking car there !!!!!. Can you try coloring bumpers with body color, that would look great and also try blackening B pillar.

Nice restoration there. I always loved Zen for No Nonsense thing.
No, I personally wouldn't like that look on my Zen.
On bigger hatches like Swift, yes, they look better that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
That is one fantastic looking Zen there abhipuru16. For me, the Zen is still the first quintessential hot hatch in India with its awesome power and nimble handling. Your choice of color, the alloys and the painting of bumpers, mirrors and grille in matte black all combine very well together and make the car look wonderful. As you have mentioned, the Zen looks best without mudflaps but try and get a pair installed in the rear since the bumper tends to get very very dirty without them.
I got some real nice Genuine Maruti Mudflaps for my Zen. They look real sweet. They are not the usual thin rubber variety but, hard plastic, almost same as the bumper's material.
Plus, the rear bumper now looks much more beefier.
abhipuru16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

i have a similar ZEN Carb, done around 125000 kms, i would like to restore it as there is lot of rust in the engine bay, complete paintjob, complete interior as well....

could i have to costs involved in your restoration?
Old 24th August 2011, 01:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant job, looks amazing. Still the old zen looks much better than newer radical design hatchbacks. I like that you have chosen not to paint the bumpers. But as someone said the alloys looks lil out of place. Can you post some interior pics.
Old 24th August 2011, 09:44   #19
BHPian

Congratulations!!! Nice restoration job

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the alloys look completely out of place?
Looks good as 13 inch alloys don't have much choices, a 14 inch wheel with better design would be detrimental to the ride quality.
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 10:40   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Well, I got the bumpers and all the black parts like the mouldings, wiper arms, door handles, ORVM, front grill etc. painted in matte black+matte clear, this helps to prevent the "greying" of plastic parts and the clear acts as a protection.
Oh ;wonderful ; the matte black plus the clear coat is as good as a regular paint job ; so no more weathering
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 14:40   #21
BANNED

You are a Big man Abhipuru16..with the driver seat that back, no one would like to sit behind you :-)

Do you plan on tinting the glass? I feel the clear look is very clean and classy.
The tail lights are too red to be OE. I just whish you went in for a slightly wider set of tyres.

Maybe a few pics on how it looked before the work would have allowed us to appreciate the transformantion better.

On the whole..I'd be happy to call that my ride. Good work.
adidac369 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 14:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidac369 View Post
You are a Big man Abhipuru16..with the driver seat that back, no one would like to sit behind you :-)

Do you plan on tinting the glass? I feel the clear look is very clean and classy.
The tail lights are too red to be OE. I just whish you went in for a slightly wider set of tyres.

Maybe a few pics on how it looked before the work would have allowed us to appreciate the transformantion better.

On the whole..I'd be happy to call that my ride. Good work.
Well, nothing like that, although I am 6 feet high, I dont push back the seat as far as it is in the pics, that was just for the sake of clicking pictures.

Tinting the glass is necessary because of the heat here up North, but, maybe next summers as the weather now is very pleasant and doesn't demand Sun Films.

As I told earlier, the tail lights are new, Lumax, MGP etc. , its just the camera playing tricks as I left the Red colour filter ON by mistake on my Camera.
Old 24th August 2011, 19:00   #23
BHPian

Nicely done! Could you post more interior pics please? I like it that you've gone for the stock look rather than kit.

I know tints are necessary, but don't get overtly opaque ones. Clear glass looks good on your car!
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 20:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
but don't get overtly opaque ones. Clear glass looks good on your car!
Thanks for the appreciation.
Yes, I will go for something like 50 or 35 in 3M RE which looks much lighter than 35, I have these on my Fiesta S.
Extremely dark tints are banned here in Delhi.
Old 7th September 2011, 10:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Wow Puneet! That was the first thing I noticed when I was browsing through the pics I had clicked. At that very moment, I went to my driveway and adjusted two rubber stoppers that are screwed just above and beside each of the headlights beneath the bonnet. The two stoppers were not screwed to the same level. I screwed them to the same height and now, that mis-alignment is gone.
The bonnet rests on these stoppers.
We all (petrolheads) are on the same wavelength! Thanks to T-BHP for providing such a nice melting pot of minds who think alike.

Btw, i know it has been asked before (and went unanswered), can u share a ballpark figure for the restoration cost(s) please? My NHC desperately needs a makeover but i'm not sure on which workshop to approach atm.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:11   #26
BHPian

Guys, I think my Zen needs a new battery.

The Manual says it needs a 28Ah battery.
Owing to my earlier experience with Amaron, I am hell-bent on getting an Amaron battery.
But, the problem is, the closest model compatible for my Zen is 30Ah.

Should I go for 30Ah or can I go even higher? Say 35Ah or even 40Ah?
Old 29th June 2015, 22:23   #27

Hey i also have a 1994 Zen. its need quite a bit of bodywork, rust treatment wise.
could you please tell me approx how much did your bodywork and painting cost? and can i get stuff like bumpers and mud flaps and door rubbers at MGP? please help..
Old 29th June 2015, 22:39   #28
BHPian

ryShah,
I would you say, you would have to do some research at your location. This restoration was in July 2011, the prices now would be very very different.

A good place to start is the Team-bhp directory, assuming your car is also in Mumbai, here is link.

Do go through the feed back and comments in that thread for an assessment. Given that it is all raining in Mumbai, I would hold back the restoration till after monsoons.
Old 29th June 2015, 23:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshah1991 View Post
Hey i also have a 1994 Zen. its need quite a bit of bodywork, rust treatment wise.
could you please tell me approx how much did your bodywork and painting cost? and can i get stuff like bumpers and mud flaps and door rubbers at MGP? please help..
Check with your local garages about the estimate for restoration.

Yes you can easily get bumpers, mud flaps and door rubbers form the MGP stores. Some parts may take 5-7 days but you do get them easily!
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 21:39   #30

Hey spinnerr, yes i need to do more research.
and i still some time to go before i start anything on my car.
and i am thinking the most preferable 1st job should be suspension and brakes,
or should i start something different?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks