Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2011, 19:04   #1
BANNED

Bought exhaust tips from the web, got a letter from the customs

Hey guys,

I ordered something from internet and this is what I got. Can any one please help me
Attached Thumbnails
Bought exhaust tips from the web, got a letter from the customs-scan.jpg  

Last edited by taranonline : 30th July 2011 at 19:06.
Old 30th July 2011, 19:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: letter from customs.

Help in what, making the pic upside down?

Please be more specific, this is a very generalized shout!! List all details... What did you buy? Who are you (business/individual)? Is this some thing banned for import (known)? etc etc...
svsantosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 19:13   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Help in what, making the pic upside down?

Please be more specific, this is a very generalized shout!! List all details... What did you buy? Who are you (business/individual)? Is this some thing banned for import (known)? etc etc...
Haha.. I corrected it a few mins ago. Please refresh. My Bad.

I bough exhaust tips.
I am a individual.
It is for my personal use.
I dont think its banned.

Old 30th July 2011, 19:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Its nothing.
just go pay duty on it and collect it.
you got unlucky, and it got stopped.
short, tubular metallic sections, probably thats why.
Old 30th July 2011, 20:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

The urban legend is, customs could stop anything that is priced above $100, big parcel or heavy parcel.
Old 30th July 2011, 20:15   #6
BANNED

So I will need to go to Delhi office and pay money to release the stuff. Or I need to produce some documents as mentioned on the letter?

I will be driving from chandigarh!!
Old 30th July 2011, 20:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

There are Customs Clearing Agents whom you can locate in Delhi. If the goods are of high value, an agent can be contacted, or else if its something thats not banned, (import)and of low value you can yourself meet any concerned official above the rank of Asst Commissioner. The goods need to be declared and duty is payable on their value as per the extant Customs Duty chargeable.

If they ask for bribes or gratification, the CBI can trap them.*
* I can give details as to how to go about in case you sense something fishy

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 30th July 2011 at 20:41.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 20:59   #8
BHPian

Re: Bought exhaust tips from the web, got a letter from the customs

how much did you pay for the item and what was the declared value of parcel ? they might ask for a invoice if they feel item's value has been underdeclared to evade duties . i have also cleared some items from the fpo on bahadur shah zafar marg .
Old 30th July 2011, 21:17   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
There are Customs Clearing Agents whom you can locate in Delhi. If the goods are of high value, an agent can be contacted, or else if its something thats not banned, (import)and of low value you can yourself meet any concerned official above the rank of Asst Commissioner. The goods need to be declared and duty is payable on their value as per the extant Customs Duty chargeable.

If they ask for bribes or gratification, the CBI can trap them.*
* I can give details as to how to go about in case you sense something fishy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
how much did you pay for the item and what was the declared value of parcel ? they might ask for a invoice if they feel item's value has been underdeclared to evade duties . i have also cleared some items from the fpo on bahadur shah zafar marg .
Good were $129 shipped from taiwan. Quad exhaust tips for the bimmer.

If anyone from new delhi can help me out that would be extremly grateful.

Thank you.

Last edited by GTO : 31st July 2011 at 16:44. Reason: No phone business please. Continue the discussion here itself
Old 30th July 2011, 22:10   #10
BANNED

You need to take a copy of the invoice along with the letter and show it to them. They will file it then bill the duty and one week later, the postman will knock on your door.

--Rahul
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

^
I know what I am writing is morally incorrect but Taran has to come from Punjab and I doubt that he will have all the time just to deal with the department. Thus here goes,

Once you reach the Customs department, there will be 1001 agents after you, just bargain and get the best price for immediate delivery. I have two instances where they made me wait once for three days because I did not go through an agent and did the good citizen thingy.

Just pay a paltry sum of maybe 100 or even 50 and these guys will get all the payments and get the box for you asap.

Cheers!
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranonline View Post
Hey guys,

I ordered something from internet and this is what I got. Can any one please help me
Send the following documents via registered post to them. Mention the parcel/file number on top of the cover. Keep a photocopy of this document alongwith the papers you send.

1) Invoice: Take a printout of the website you bought it from listing the price.
1.1) Payment proof: Take a printout of your paypal payment receipt with payment details of this item.

2) You say you're an individual and you don't have a license and that this is for your personal use.

3) Draft a small one para technical description of the item on a separate sheet.
3.1) You write a covering letter mentioning the documents you are attaching.

Once they receive this they will process your package.Call them up after the letter reaches them to know the status. Mention file number to get info. Your file number is 2783.

If they levy you a fine it'll have to be paid by DD and the package will be cleared only after the DD is cleared. If duty is charged then it will be collected by your local GPO at the time of delivery.

This is nothing to worry about, i have received such letters and it was handled the way i described above. If your FPO is in your town you can visit them and probably hand over the documents. I had to send it via registered post since our FPO is 220kms away.

Edit: Item # 1 is to calculate the duty to be levied. Thats what they really care about.

Last edited by Sankar : 2nd August 2011 at 15:44.
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:49   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Send the following documents via registered post to them. Mention the parcel/file number on top of the cover. Keep a photocopy of this document alongwith the papers you send.

1) Invoice: Take a printout of the website you bought it from listing the price.
1.1) Payment proof: Take a printout of your paypal payment receipt with payment details of this item.

2) You say you're an individual and you don't have a license and that this is for your personal use.

3) Draft a small one para technical description of the item on a separate sheet.
3.1) You write a covering letter mentioning the documents you are attaching.

Once they receive this they will process your package.Call them up after the letter reaches them to know the status. Mention file number to get info. Your file number is 2783.

If they levy you a fine it'll have to be paid by DD and the package will be cleared only after the DD is cleared. If duty is charged then it will be collected by your local GPO at the time of delivery.

This is nothing to worry about, i have received such letters and it was handled the way i described above. If your FPO is in your town you can visit them and probably hand over the documents. I had to send it via registered post since our FPO is 220kms away.

Edit: Item # 1 is to calculate the duty to be levied. Thats what they really care about.
+1 to this. I followed the same process when I got a letter from Bangalore postal customs when I had imported some parts for my Gypsy.

Meet the officer and convince him that you are no shady importer. Tell him it is for your own use and you bought it as it is not available in India.

Write a letter stating the same, along with cost/reason etc on a paper

Give it to him. That's it.

Then the local postman delivered the package to my home 2-3 days later. He collected the 30% duty on the parts from me.
Old 17th August 2011, 18:13   #14
BANNED

Well as it turns out.. Goods delivered to my house, just had to grease a palm+travel to new delhi and back.

So there is a new quest from me. Anybody knows someone around chandigarh who can install the exhaust tips?

Last edited by GTO : 20th August 2011 at 14:36. Reason: Minor spelling correction
Old 19th August 2011, 13:31   #15
BANNED

Note from Team-BHP Support : We do NOT permit bumping up your own query. Such posts are classified as SPAM. Please do NOT inconvenience other users by bumping up your own posts.

Last edited by GTO : 20th August 2011 at 14:36.
taranonline is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks