Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2011, 14:01   #1
Team-BHP Support

Extra mirror for reverse sensor; what happens to OEM Day/Night Mirror?

I've reverse sensors fitted on my ANHC. So, there's an extra mirror fitted on top of the OEM one. (As shown in the pic)

Extra mirror for reverse sensor; what happens to OEM Day/Night Mirror?-dsc00733.jpg

Now yesterday while on a night drive, I moved the OEM mirror to Night mode and I still got a terrible glare from the high-beam of vehicles behind me. It then struck me that with the additional mirror, there was no Day/Night mode as such.

Am I getting it right? Any way one can get the Day/Night mode when the extra mirror is fitted?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 15th August 2011 at 14:03.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 15:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Extra mirror for reverse sensor; what happens to OEM Day/Night Mirror?

@Libranof1987,

With the reverse sensor mirror covering the OEM mirror, there would be no day/night mode unless the new mirror has the same modes.

I dont think you will get the mirror with anti glare coating. The best option supposedly was to have the reverse sensors with camera and plug it into the HU. BTW what make is the reverse sensor system.
Old 15th August 2011, 19:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Any way one can get the Day/Night mode when the extra mirror is fitted?
I highly doubt whether the rear view mirrors that come with reverse cameras are prismatic like the OEM Mirror. If your reverse camera came with a prismatic mirror, then it should tilt when you use the toggle switch on the OEM Mirror for it to work properly. So either its not prismatic, or it doesn't tilt.

If this feature is indispensable for you, the cheapest option is to get an LCD screen from Xenos which accepts the signal from the rear view camera. This screen is non-obtrusive and is the size of a usual GPS unit. I think it costs 2-3k max.

This is assuming your HU does not have a video input.

Tassem.
Tassem is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 19:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have crosswheels (not sure of the brand) reverse sensors fitted and I confirm there is no night mode. I realized this after fitting them and now repent them. I did go around the market to get this corrected, unfortunately there is no solution yet. I plan to get the extra mirror off the IRVM and fit it somewhere more appropriate!!
Old 16th August 2011, 14:44   #5
BHPian

I bought an RD make Reverse parking aid Kit. IRVM with display and with 6 eyes - 4 on the back and 2 on the front bumpers.
Was very particular about the night mode IRVM while buying and was confirmed by the whole sale dealer that it comes in night mode only with anit glare coating.
Found it very satisfied in the nights.
Visibility was good engough in very misty conditions in the day too.
The biggest USP is, it gives a very large view by covering area before both the C pillars too along with the rear wind shield, of my already wide Manza.

RD Parking aids.pdf

Mine was a TF990 model.

Extra mirror for reverse sensor; what happens to OEM Day/Night Mirror?-p6250045.jpg

Extra mirror for reverse sensor; what happens to OEM Day/Night Mirror?-p6250046.jpg

The mounting is done on the OE IRVM which is now used only to display the T- BHP sticker.

Extra mirror for reverse sensor; what happens to OEM Day/Night Mirror?-p6250061.jpg
Extra mirror for reverse sensor; what happens to OEM Day/Night Mirror?-p6250062.jpg

You can check out when we meet in one of our Pune Tapri meets Anil!
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 14:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I've reverse sensors fitted on my ANHC. So, there's an extra mirror fitted on top of the OEM one. (As shown in the pic)

Am I getting it right? Any way one can get the Day/Night mode when the extra mirror is fitted?
The day night mode of the OE mirror will not be visible when the extra mirror is fitted over it.
In general, the extra fitted mirror has an all time anti glare coating. This does solve the purpose in the night drives.
In some makes, the extra fitted mirror also may be provided with another flip to switch between Day/ night modes. The TF 995 model from RD make reverse parking system has this.
Unfortunately, this model is discontinued by them, as on 25th March'11.
MODS: Sorry for the Back to back posts, didn't expect the net connection to be soo fast. Else this was supposed to be my first post instead of the below one, as I tried to answer Libran first while loading the pics for anil.

Last edited by Maverick79 : 16th August 2011 at 14:57.
Old 16th August 2011, 15:13   #7
BHPian

Avoid RD reverse system at all costs. Very cheap quality system, I am sure they must be buying in bulk from some cheap Chinese wholesaler. The camera quality is pathetic. The company installer screwed wiring while installing leading to fuse blowing on some critical equipment in car. My service guys re-installed entire system.

There customer care is very bad. On complaining and repeated reminders to their dealer in Noida, they have not send technician till date to look into complaint of bad camera (over 3 months now).
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 15:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Avoid RD reverse system at all costs. Very cheap quality system, I am sure they must be buying in bulk from some cheap Chinese wholesaler. The camera quality is pathetic. The company installer screwed wiring while installing leading to fuse blowing on some critical equipment in car. My service guys re-installed entire system.

There customer care is very bad. On complaining and repeated reminders to their dealer in Noida, they have not send technician till date to look into complaint of bad camera (over 3 months now).
Thank you for sharing your experience Rishi.

Hope you have approached the correct person of RD.

I actually had a very good experience with RD.
I directly called their H.O and took the details of their distribution office in Pune. They too were very receptive and quick in arranging a 6-sensors unit for me as their dealer had only the one with 4 eyes.
It was only the courier which took 4 days from Delhi to Pune after my request.
Well, their technician was not up to the mark in routing the wiring in different cars. He was expert only in his scope of work .i.e connecting the wires at the main unit and then to the sensors.
Rest all detailing was done by their dealer's ( Accessories dealer - Eagle Car Accessories in Aundh, Pune) person, where I got the delivery.
Old 16th August 2011, 19:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Have seen these snap-on RVM's since a couple of years. Mostly they work fine. It displays the reverse camera or sensor information...nothing wrong with it.

Cheers
Old 16th August 2011, 21:44   #10
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@libranof1987 - Thanks so much for posting this thread.
I also have the reverse sensor Red Soul brand (without camera) in my car and the mirror that sits in front of the original OEM one does not have a night mode so glare is an issue when driving late evening/night.
Also noticed last week when I was driving during a cloudy afternoon that it was diffcult to get brighter view of vehicles on this mirror (almost seemed like late evening/night !)
Any way out other than replacing the entire reverse sensor system ? (I don't have an LCD display so the camera's not an option I'm considering right now).
Old 17th August 2011, 00:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
If this feature is indispensable for you, the cheapest option is to get an LCD screen from Xenos which accepts the signal from the rear view camera. This screen is non-obtrusive and is the size of a usual GPS unit. I think it costs 2-3k max.

This is assuming your HU does not have a video input.
Yep, no video output. The HU is the standard SMT fitment.

The Day/Night mode is not indispensible but a very convenient feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I have crosswheels (not sure of the brand) reverse sensors fitted and I confirm there is no night mode. I realized this after fitting them and now repent them. I did go around the market to get this corrected, unfortunately there is no solution yet. I plan to get the extra mirror off the IRVM and fit it somewhere more appropriate!!
I am slightly repenting it too because 1) I don't trust the reverse sensor readings so end up not following them anyway 2) they nullified the Day/Night mode.

Most probably will go to Honda tomorrow for something; will have a word with the engineers.
Old 16th June 2016, 15:56   #12
BHPian

Reviving this old thread. Is there any way to cut the glare when camera screen is mounted on IRVM. Any suggestions to counter this?
Old 16th June 2016, 16:30   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Reviving this old thread. Is there any way to cut the glare when camera screen is mounted on IRVM. Any suggestions to counter this?
Nope.

An expensive solution is: when you get the reverse camera fitted, get the type where they change the mirror to an electrochromic one, which has an inbuilt reverse camera display.

Or a cheaper solution: to get a separate display module for reverse camera output that can be mounted on the windshield/dashboard.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 16:56   #14
BHPian

Hi All,

Even I'm facing the high-beam glare during night drives. My reverse sensor setup uses is similar with an extra mirror strapped in front of the OEM mirror.

I remember seeing some setups where the distance indicators were just beeps, and in some cases the distance info was in a small plastic casing with a small LED mounted on the driver-side corner of the dashboard (near the windshield). Unfortunately, I do not have the pics to explain the setup.
Is it possible to change my current setup to something like this?
Old 15th September 2016, 18:26   #15
BHPian

Guys,

I had this extra mirror type reverse camera on my car for a couple of years which was an OEM supplied accessory, got it free when I bought the car. Biggest disadvantages are you lose the day night capability of the factory fitted IRVM mirror, the rubber on the metal mounts tend to come out especially when parked under hot sun for hours leaving the mirror hanging by the wire, and the weight of this add-on mirror makes the IRVM to rattle faintly (you can hear it when ambient noise is low). In a couple of cars, I've also seen the whole IRVM come off eventually with the adhesive unable to bear the combined weight.

So, I've removed that setup and replaced with a Red Soul reverse parking sensor having distance info beeps (without camera). LCD display sits on the passenger corner of the dashboard, near the front quarter glass. I bought it directly from Red Soul and they do the install as well.

This is the one - http://www.indiamart.com/red-soul-en...g-display.html

Red Soul website - http://www.redsoul.in/security.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks