Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 11:42   #121

Re: Chevy Cruze mods

I have finally got the 4300K Indian made ones installed. I have simply put them in my reflectors, rather than use them with projectors. The amount of light has considerably increased and it is easier to drive at night now. The Indian made (Chinese re-branded) ones were of very high quality and packing. They come with 1 year warranty and on site 24 hr replacement. I guess since I am happy with what I have got, I shall stick to this for some time now. Perhaps in my new car next year I shall make all mods from the day I bring it from the showroom. One things though I noticed that these take about 10 secs to become bright. The moment I switch on the headlamps they are pretty dull. It takes about 5-10 secs to become really bright. This is a problem for me when I just need the light for a second to either flash/ signal it on incoming traffic, or while parking in the dark basement. Can someone suggest what could be wrong.
Thanks everyone for your help. Ashutosh
Old 4th May 2012, 13:20   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvtosh View Post
One things though I noticed that these take about 10 secs to become bright. The moment I switch on the headlamps they are pretty dull. It takes about 5-10 secs to become really bright. This is a problem for me when I just need the light for a second to either flash/ signal it on incoming traffic, or while parking in the dark basement. Can someone suggest what could be wrong.
Thanks everyone for your help. Ashutosh
There is nothing wrong. Thats just how HID's work. They have a ceartain amount of startup time before they reach their full intensity. when flashed they actually start out bright, then slightly dim and then get to their full intensity.( Mine work like this, correct me if i'm wrong). so you might just have to get used to this little thing. Sartup time should not be more than a couple of seconds, 10 is a bit much. should be around 5-7 Seconds. hope this helps.
lilMonSter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 08:53   #123
BHPian

I was dissatisfied with the performance of the OEM horn of my Cruze in traffic, and wanted to get the horn of a Volkswagen Polo installed. Volkswagen quoted the price of the horn as Rs. 3000/- which is way too high, so I went out and bought a Bosch Symphony horn (which I had earlier installed on my old Fiat Premier Padmini) for Rs. 500/-.

The guy who sold the horn was quite eager to install it in the car (though he had not heard of the Cruze -- there are only a handful here it seems), but since the grill has to be opened and the wiring modified, I thought it would be best to seek the assistance of the workshop. The showroom had earlier approved the decision to change the horn and had convinced the workshop as well, but when I went to the workshop this time, they identified the following issues:

1. The symphony horns have a larger form factor and are likely to contact the A/C condenser (which would be disastrous).

2. The wiring would have to be cut, or would otherwise require proprietary connectors from GM. Cutting wiring would lead to voiding the warranty of the wiring.

I was wondering if anyone here has faced a similar problem. Technically, issue #1 is more critical -- is there a known workaround for this?

Last edited by darthvader : 16th May 2012 at 08:54.
Old 16th May 2012, 14:35   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
1. The symphony horns have a larger form factor and are likely to contact the A/C condenser (which would be disastrous).

2. The wiring would have to be cut, or would otherwise require proprietary connectors from GM. Cutting wiring would lead to voiding the warranty of the wiring.

I was wondering if anyone here has faced a similar problem. Technically, issue #1 is more critical -- is there a known workaround for this?
Hi,

I have similar horns installed in my cruze since almost an year and never faced any problems.

About Issue 1 - One horn will go towards the stock location and another one will have to be mounted somewhere else. In my case, one horn is mounted between the radiator and the front grill and the other horn is mounted inside the bumper towards the FL H/L.

About Issue 2 - I also didn't want to cut the original wiring and hence he made a wire set which goes into the original couplers which tampering, but I would recommend splicing OE wiring and installing as I also did this later on.

Cheers
tusharsethi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 14:41   #125

After the Xenon HId's, I am planning to install the touch screen multimedia interface in my car that also have GPS. I can use all my steering wheel controls with it and it is costing me about Rs. 40,000. It is a 7inch colour screen with DVD player. Freebies is a rear camera. Does anyone have any experience with this. Apparently such kits are made specifically for each model of various manufacturers, and the list of cars is endless. Do I go in for this and what could be the problems I face after installation. Please help. Thanks in advance. Ashutosh.
Old 16th May 2012, 15:19   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusharsethi View Post
Hi, I have similar horns installed in my cruze since almost an year and never faced any problems.
Cheers
Thanks very much Tushar, I did coax the workshop guys along similar lines, but I think it'll take some more persuasion. I don't want to do it myself but if it comes to that, I will, after duly informing them as I don't want any issues to crop up with the warranty when I'm away and my father is using the car.

Quote:
After the Xenon HId's, I am planning to install the touch screen multimedia interface in my car that also have GPS. I can use all my steering wheel controls with it and it is costing me about Rs. 40,000. It is a 7inch colour screen with DVD player. Freebies is a rear camera. Does anyone have any experience with this. Apparently such kits are made specifically for each model of various manufacturers, and the list of cars is endless. Do I go in for this and what could be the problems I face after installation. Please help. Thanks in advance. Ashutosh.
This sounds like an interesting, albeit expensive setup. Is this a Caska unit? Can you give us some links?
Old 16th May 2012, 15:26   #127

Basically the blueish screen in front is removed with the grey casing. After some wiring work, the new casing with a 7 inch screen is fit. Try ebay india or america and search cruze. Its all over. The pictures are not that clear, but some sellers have a good video shown regarding the installation. The dealers in india quote mrp of 65000 but I have heard if you know them well, this can be acquired for 35000 and odd. It also shows the Chevrolet logo in animation on engine startup, just like luxury cars. Yes, it sounds interesting and it is expensive, especially since my cruze is now 1.5 yrs old. I should have added this to the price of the car and installed it on day one. But I am more interested in knowing about its performance, durability, stability etc. Shall post some links once I get some good ones. Thanks.
Old 16th May 2012, 15:27   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ashutosh,

The biggest problem you will face with this install is the OS of the Headunit is too slow and also the audio quality is nothing compared to a branded unit. If you need just navigation alone, go in for a MapMyIndia device, if not, you can go in for the following add-ons :
1) Cruze Fascia with Adapters so that the climate control screen + Steering remote and all car settings work
2) A double din HU like the AVH 4450. I got the Pioneer AVH-8450 recently and it is an amazing unit with bluetooth.

You can add a Pioneer MapMyIndia interface and a Rear view camera to this set-up as well.

This complete setup should set you back by about 50k and will result in better sound quality, features and a much better user experience.

You can check my ICE install thread for some more details. I will update the thread in sometime regarding the new HU install.

Cheers
tusharsethi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 15:28   #129

here is one link from ebay.
CHEVROLET Cruze 09-10 HD Screen GPS Navi Car DVD Player | eBay
Old 16th July 2012, 19:44   #130
Senior - BHPian

Presenting a friends Cruze with BMW Style Tailights.
He had the E Class Style ones earlier.
Chevy Cruze mods-img2012071601434.jpg
Chevy Cruze mods-img2012071600551.jpg
Chevy Cruze mods-img2012071600547.jpg

Last edited by cityvic : 16th July 2012 at 19:46.
cityvic is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 13:53   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
Thanks very much Tushar, I did coax the workshop guys along similar lines, but I think it'll take some more persuasion. I don't want to do it myself but if it comes to that, I will, after duly informing them as I don't want any issues to crop up with the warranty when I'm away and my father is using the car.
Hi, let us know how it goes - am also in the same soup and want to replace the stock wimpy horn.

What would be a good horn to put which would fit in the exact same location without any wiring changes at all?
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:56   #132
Senior - BHPian

A friends Cruze here in Cal.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy Cruze mods-img2012082300798.jpg  

cityvic is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 20:53   #133
BHPian

Personal opinion- Way too much chrome for the Cruze. Should have toned it down a bit.
Old 24th August 2012, 22:11   #134
BHPian

+1 All that chrome makes it an overkill IMO. But then again, its what I think. The headlamps are a nice touch though
Old 25th August 2012, 00:33   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

MODS are good but IMO nothing like STOCK these days

+ Just add Rims / Tyre Upsize it will add enough character to the Cruze & much needed Grip ( Nothing more really required )

Last edited by karan561 : 25th August 2012 at 00:40.

Most Viewed