Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2006, 09:46   #1
BHPian

New Optra Beige Elite

I just got my new optra on Saturday. I bought the base 1.6 Elite with Beige interiors.
Now Im keen on putting in the following things, but I am confused.

1. Alloy Wheels - ( Some say the Indian ones will destroy suspension in a years time ). What is the recommended size and what make. Budget less than 25 K.
2. Robust Anti-Theft System - This needs to be something with a lot of features. I went around in a couple of shops , and good grief...its not simple. One shop swears by " Pricol " ...the other by "Scorpio" which is the other name for Autocop according to him. Piranha is also called AutoCop.
So please recommend a good make. Budget - 8K.
3. Half decent head unit - 10 K
Old 8th March 2006, 13:21   #2
BHPian

congrats on your optra elite - a very VFM deal - almost had me hooked for a while

1. Not much idea - but one dealer did offer me 15 inchers with alloys for 25k.
2. Autocop would be the best bet - you can get the basic model + gear lock for within 8k - even get the advanced version if you bargain more.
3. 10k will get you a very decent pioneer or sony HU with OEL display - but you may want to change the speakers as well
Old 8th March 2006, 16:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey Lemon.. Congo.

Change to 15Inchers if you want handling, otherwise India Neo, Aura and Hindalco do make good alloys and they wont affect you suspension.

CHeers
Old 8th March 2006, 18:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

As long as u don't go overboard with the alloys, ur suspension will be fine. But confirm with the dealers as they sometime might void ur warranty, which is just bad.
Old 8th March 2006, 18:55   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon
I just got my new optra...
1. Alloy Wheels - ( Some say the Indian ones will destroy suspension in a years time ). What is the recommended size and what make. Budget less than 25 K.
2. Robust Anti-Theft System - This needs to be something with a lot of features. I went around in a couple of shops , and good grief...its not simple. One shop swears by " Pricol " ...the other by "Scorpio" which is the other name for Autocop according to him. Piranha is also called AutoCop.
So please recommend a good make. Budget - 8K.
3. Half decent head unit - 10 K
Congrats on your new machine!

About Alloys, choose a design, ensure that they are of a reputed make and are light. This last one is important. That is what decides on your suspension life and handling. Heavier alloys can actually cause damage. However that "Indian make being bad" stuff is lot of bull. Neo and Aura make some real decent alloys. Also, the showroom guys who will tell you that if you take alloys from outside it voids your warranty actually sell you and OEM alloy made by one of these indian biggies (most probably Aura) at exorbitant prices :P

Anti-theft systems are many. But most are actually useless. If you search this forum you will come to the same conclusion as we all decided after lots of discussions on multiple threads. Besides anything more than the basic thing is actually of no use. Something fancy (like those touch sensitive ones) will start screaming the moment a mangy dog rubs itself against your parked car. Or the one that has an auto-engine cut-off for unlawful/forced entries may all of a sudden acquire a mind of its own and then the car will refuse to start. The best thing to do is to just get a basic remote locking and acquire a good gear-lock (or a steering lock). They are 1000 times more useful.

About ICE setup, well, we do have our in-house audio gurus who will help you out on that.
Old 9th March 2006, 11:14   #6
BHPian

Cheers guys !.
Yeah took your advice and went in for a basic piranha at Adamjee & Co. Nice decent chap he was...and he was saying the same things about impact sensors going off when mangy 4 legged creatures decide to rub.
What I liked was the proximity lock...that is a nice feature according to me. I just have to approach the car for it to unlock, and vice versa.
Sadiq also has some really decent 14" alloys from Aura which is 14,400 for a set of four.
Would this be a decent investment or should I go for Momo which someone was bragging to be Ferrari OE alloys. It does come at a price though.
Old 9th March 2006, 13:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon
Would this be a decent investment or should I go for Momo which someone was bragging to be Ferrari OE alloys. It does come at a price though.
Ferrari uses OZ if i am not mistaken.

Why dont you see 15inchers. They look good on the Optra and all D segment cars come with 15inchers.
Old 9th March 2006, 22:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its not the alloys that damage the suspension. Its low profile tires that put excessive load on the strut mounts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks