Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2011, 01:44   #1
BHPian

Fiat Palio - Engine Swap Advice

Hi Team,

I have this old run down fiat palio that I would like to experiment on. The car has done about 78000 Kms but the engine it totally gone. The engine needs a good overhaul / replacement. I am still kind of debating on this. Mechanics say that the engine needs to be opened.

This kind of gave me a different thought. Is there someway that I can replace the engine with a more powerful one?

Does any one have any experience on doing this in India? If yes, is there a market where an engine can be bought? What are the legal requirements of modifying the car like changing the engine, adding more power etc? I would like to keep the design the same though. Maybe change the color scheme.

Thanks
Manvir
Old 13th November 2011, 11:10   #2
BHPian

Re: Modifying Fiat Palio

The first thing people here would need to know is which engine you're running(1.2,1.6 etc) and what fuel your car is powered by.
Also include your budget and time in hand. Modifying you car perfectly can take ages, you'll see this if you go through other threads.

Anyway, a couple of threads to get you started.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ification.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...pics-here.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ile-1-1-a.html
Old 13th November 2011, 12:01   #3
BHPian

Thanks Sukrit,

This is a 1.9 TDI. The engine is totally gone so will have to get a new engine. Was wondering what other options for an engine would I have other than a fiat engine?

I have a few lakhs that I can spend.

Manvir
Old 13th November 2011, 12:18   #4
BHPian

I cannot believe that your 1.9 engine has gone at an overhaul stage at 78000 kms,
Your car can come back easily to life - with same engine,

Kindly pm me your number - we can talk in detail,

There are some engine option with Nissan 1700,1900,Toyota IC,2C,

Best is nissan but that would require change/update in R.C

I would not suggest this change- it's illegal to run on engine with is not mentioned on R.C

Your 1.9 D can come easily to life- much better is get it rectified.

I also have 1.9D & know the engine in/out.

Thanks & Regards
Anupam
anupam00 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 12:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Locate a 1.6L 100bhp engine and Plonk it in.
Or probably you can buy a Donor 1.6L Palio for less than a Lakh of rupees.
and once you have it running,you can go in for ECU remaps FFE and all.
Old 13th November 2011, 12:58   #6
Team-BHP Support

Yes you can.

Shoehorning a modern and more powerful engine cannot be ruled out. But you have to be prepared to spend a lot of time and money on your car. You might need to visit the workshop very often. And even after sorting everything out, things can still go wrong. After all, this is a 'modification', and any serious modification undertaken will attract more money than estimated. Since you mentioned that you want to experiment, I guess you've thought of all this before hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Locate a 1.6L 100bhp engine and Plonk it in.
Or probably you can buy a Donor 1.6L Palio for less than a Lakh of rupees.
and once you have it running,you can go in for ECU remaps FFE and all.
Although a great idea, is it advisable to swap a diesel engine with a petrol one? This car started out life as a diesel, remember that. It's going to be very very expensive. One would require to change every single component. The fuel pump, the fuel lines, the entire fuel-assembly in short, and many more modifications. Will it be feasible? I'm not quite sure.

To top it off, looking for a 1.6 mill with a clean bill of health will be hard too. Most of them would have clocked quite a few miles and would require modifications themselves.
Old 14th November 2011, 15:21   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat Palio - Engine Swap Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by manvirr View Post
This kind of gave me a different thought. Is there someway that I can replace the engine with a more powerful one?
Sell the 1.9D and buy a Palio 1.6. Factory fit is factory fit. Period. Best part is, they go really cheap in the used market. Why go through the headache of a swap when the desired solution is readily available?
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 15:31   #8
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sell the 1.9D and buy a Palio 1.6. Factory fit is factory fit. Period. Best part is, they go really cheap in the used market. Why go through the headache of a swap when the desired solution is readily available?
Well said GTO! @manvirr, if you are looking at a 1.6, then a new one is readily available in the Pune yard. A 2010 manufactured bossa nova white, Palio Stile 1.6 @ 3Lakh ex-showroom. Check out the below link if interested.

Yahoo! Groups
Old 14th November 2011, 15:34   #9
BHPian

I second GTO's suggestion. Sell the 1.9 deisel and buy a 1.6 GTX petrol. The best part here is after you sell your 1.9 and get a 1.6 u'll still have some moolah left to play with (Considering that the deisel has a better resale value and a 1.6 can be bought pretty cheap in the second hand market).
Add a lac more and plonk in all the goodies into the 1.6 i.e. FFE, K&N, ECU remap so on and so forth
Old 14th November 2011, 15:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

I'd say sell it and get a GTX. The palios are not very mod friendly, and doing something as extreme as an engine swap is not recommended in one. Also, a diesel to petrol swap is illegal. Why bother, when you can get GTX's for the same price or close to what you would pay for any other engine!
Old 14th November 2011, 15:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend here in Delhi shoehorned a 2 L TC Toyota engine in his 1.6 GTX, if his words are anything to go by its almost as reliable as the original engine if not more.

Here is a pic of the same car, though it's not really relevant.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio - Engine Swap Advice-311368_10150267637231611_685891610_8141115_3346425_n.jpg  

Last edited by BANDHAV : 14th November 2011 at 15:59.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:12   #12
BHPian

hi
Thought i would give my experience on a similiar situation. I had a palio s10 in which I had swapped the 1.6 petrol (it somehow did not give the kind of performance it promised) with a diesel Toyota engine. This was back in 2005. I was crazy about Palios during that time and i could not afford to run it on Petrol as my daily-use used to be close to 100 kms and the stock engine often returned figures of 6-7kmpl! So i went in for an engine swap, just for the fun of it. Believe me it was a big mistake. I don know how but the fan belt kept getting ruptured, alternator kept going kaput and had lots of problems with oil leaks. Eventually sold it, but last heard it continued to give problems to the next owner! I went ahead and bought a used 1.9 D with very few miles on it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks