Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 11:28   #1
BHPian

Can sunfilm be removed, and then reapplied?

Hi,
I've my OHC Vtec with 3M CR70 film installed in the front. Last night something fell and the front windscreen is damaged . I'm giving the car to windshield experts for replacement of windshield. Is there any chance that the old film can be removed and applied to the new windscreen? The reason why I'm checking this is that I don't want to waste the money spent on film.

Experts pls advice.
Old 26th November 2011, 11:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can the Front windscreen film removed and re-applied?

When i replaced my Windshield after it developed a crack and wanted to see if i can reuse the film that i had put earlier. The SA mentioned that it is not possible as while taking the old one out if would get torn and would be difficult to put back. I am running the new windshield without any film as i no longer feel the need for it.
Old 26th November 2011, 11:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Hi,
I've my OHC Vtec with 3M CR70 film installed in the front. Last night something fell and the front windscreen is damaged . I'm giving the car to windshield experts for replacement of windshield. Is there any chance that the old film can be removed and applied to the new windscreen? The reason why I'm checking this is that I don't want to waste the money spent on film.

Experts pls advice.
No its not possible since the old films adhesive will come off as soon as it is taken off the glass.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 11:35   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think any film can be removed and reinstalled. Air bubbles and dust would be unavoidable.

Especially on the front windshield, where visibility matters so much, I would advise not to.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 11:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

The film once removed will lose it's glue-surface.

Even if you manage to re-paste it to the new windscreen, which itself is highly improbable, visibility will be impaired.

Just go for a new film.
Old 26th November 2011, 23:18   #6
BHPian

Re: Can sunfilm be removed, and then reapplied?

can the sunfilm be removed from rear windscreen with the defogger on it ?? will the defogger be damaged in the process? Kindly advise...
Old 26th November 2011, 23:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Any sticker once you pull out will lose it's stickiness and leave a trail, why risk it in your car ??? It can NEVER be done. FULL STOP.
Old 27th November 2011, 00:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
can the sunfilm be removed from rear windscreen with the defogger on it ?? will the defogger be damaged in the process? Kindly advise...
Yes, the sunfilm can be removed from the rear windshield with a defogger on it. It cannot be reinstalled. You'll have to put in a new film.
Old 27th November 2011, 02:44   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is a very high chance the defogger will get damaged. It all depends on luck.
Old 27th November 2011, 05:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

There are chemicals that you can use to remove the sticky substance left by the film on the defoger glass.
Old 27th November 2011, 20:20   #11
BHPian

Actually the film is about 4 years old & has developed a few bubbles on one side near the top & hence planned to remove the old one & install a new one. Hence the Query about damage to rear defogger while removing the film.??
Old 27th November 2011, 21:27   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hence the Query about damage to rear defogger while removing the film.??
Piyush, go to an experienced installer. You should be able to remove it without any fuss. I have seen umpteen number of vehicles with defogger getting darker/lighter sunfilms.

The thing is DONT allow him to use blade on the defogger to remove the gum. New guys usually do that. On the defogger, use a cloth lightly dipped in kerosene and rub gently. Infact, you, yourself can remove the film. The only thing you need is LOT of patience and time.
Old 28th November 2011, 11:55   #13
BHPian

@ Saurabhkum, One cannot remove the Sun film INTACT from the windshield once installed.. No question arises of reusing it in any manner.. The discussion about Glue/ Stickiness etc. has mo meaning at all!
BTW, one can claim for the Insurance of the windshield & also get it done for little expenses.. I had done it in the past for my WR..

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 28th November 2011 at 11:56.
Old 28th November 2011, 13:44   #14
BHPian

It is actually possible to remove the sun film intact, provided you are careful and patient. I have done it myself as a DIY. The film does not tear easily and it is very easy to wipe off the glue residue. You can just use nail polish remover or any ammonia based solvent. However I don't recommend that you re-use it on the new windshield.

The main reason I decided to remove the sun film from my windshield was that there were some imperfections that were not observable during day but at night oncoming traffic used to dazzle my eyes. So it is very important that the job is done properly. If you re-apply the same film there are more chances that these imperfections will creep in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks