Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 13:44   #1
BHPian

White fungus patches in the cabin

Hi, I have a 5 year old swift zxi and recently noticed lots of white patches on the seat covers. They are art leather ones, installed about 5 years back. Please advise on how to get this removed? Should I get rid of the covers? I have never been comfortable with them actually due to the heat retention and actually started getting boils on my back. I live in Chennai and I finally put a t-shirt on my seat to get the fabric feeling and protection back...
Old 15th December 2011, 13:55   #2
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Re: White fungus patches on Art Leather covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Hi, I have a 5 year old swift zxi and recently noticed lots of white patches on the seat covers. They are art leather ones, installed about 5 years back. Please advise on how to get this removed? Should I get rid of the covers? I have never been comfortable with them actually due to the heat retention and actually started getting boils on my back. I live in Chennai and I finally put a t-shirt on my seat to get the fabric feeling and protection back...
Don't worry about the fungus. Just take a slightly wet cloth dipped in a 10% solution of colin and wipe clean one panel at a time. Make sure you do not smear the fungus to other places. Wipe away the wetness with a clean dry cloth. Keep the windows open and park the car under the sun for sometime.

I would suggest you to immediately remove the art leather seat covers as they are nothing but Rexin. You can go in for either genuine leather seat covers or for the fabrics.
MAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 14:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: White fungus patches on Art Leather covers

What MAS posted is the remedy. Use mild soap water and then dry with a dry cloth. Usually this white patches appear during humid conditions especially during rainy season and if the vehicle has not been used for a week or more. Allow to dry in sunlight for some time with window glasses open.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 14:23   #4
BHPian

White Spots on my car's upholstery.

I own a 2005 Santro Xing (top end). The car isn't used a lot and has been lying idle for quite some time (I do start once in 3-4 days). Recently it's been raining a lot in Bangalore and when I went to start the car yesterday I noticed some white spots on the upholstery and a large section of some white substance on the passenger seat and gear lever.
I'm guessing this is Fungus. Anyone with other thoughts?

Last edited by Sreesh1009 : 22nd July 2020 at 14:24.
Old 22nd July 2020, 14:28   #5
BHPian

Re: White Spots on my car's upholstery.

I have found spots like these all over(couldn't upload any more photos because of the forums limit :/)
Attached Thumbnails
White fungus patches in the cabin-img_20200706_150848.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2020, 18:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
I own a 2005 Santro Xing (top end). The car isn't used a lot and has been lying idle for quite some time (I do start once in 3-4 days). Recently it's been raining a lot in Bangalore and when I went to start the car yesterday I noticed some white spots on the upholstery and a large section of some white substance on the passenger seat and gear lever.
I'm guessing this is Fungus. Anyone with other thoughts?
Hi Sreesh,

The spots you see are a result of plastics, pseudo-leather seat material, (I am not sure this happens on fabric seats), and the moisture content in the environment acting up and showing up as mould/fungus - its not as bad as it seems but left unattended, it grows in volume. Add reduced usage (due to lockdowns) and the issue shows up prominently.

A basic wipe with a wet cloth should help you but it will recur if the conditions, like I have mentioned earlier continue to exist. You might see this type of mould/fungus formation on pseudo-leather belts/furniture upholstery at home.

Regards,

IndianV2
indianv2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianv2 View Post
Hi Sreesh,

The spots you see are a result of plastics, pseudo-leather seat material, (I am not sure this happens on fabric seats), and the moisture content in the environment acting up and showing up as mould/fungus - its not as bad as it seems but left unattended, it grows in volume. Add reduced usage (due to lockdowns) and the issue shows up prominently.

A basic wipe with a wet cloth should help you but it will recur if the conditions, like I have mentioned earlier continue to exist. You might see this type of mould/fungus formation on pseudo-leather belts/furniture upholstery at home.

Regards,

IndianV2
Hey,
You're absolutely right! I shall get to the job right away.
Thank you
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:43   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You're absolutely right! I shall get to the job right away.
Also check your car and ensure it doesn't have any water leaks (or air-con water dripping inside).

If you intend to keep it parked for long, you might consider placing a moisture absorber in your cabin during the monsoons. Someone had told me even baking soda helps.

Link

White fungus patches in the cabin-517wcrz1n2l.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 09:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also check your car and ensure it doesn't have any water leaks (or air-con water dripping inside).

If you intend to keep it parked for long, you might consider placing a moisture absorber in your cabin during the monsoons. Someone had told me even baking soda helps.

Link

Attachment 2033463
Hey GTO,
There are actually two places where the water is seeping in:
1. The door jams
2. AC water leaks into the cabin while driving.
I will use baking soda for now and silicon packets as well.
Thank you for your suggestion.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 10:09   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are actually two places where the water is seeping in
Ah okay, just what I thought . You need to perfectly fix the water leakages to solve this problem. In the meantime, use the moisture absorbing solutions given.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 02:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: White fungus patches in the cabin

I also use the moisture absorbers on the car every monsoon. One box in the cabin and a pouch in the boot. I change these 1-2 times during the monsoon season. Preferably get the version with activated carbon
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 09:06   #12
BHPian

Re: White fungus patches in the cabin

I too observed this fungus buildup in my car. Was not using it for 2 weeks due to motorcycling bug. Will get the de humidifier and see the results. If I may also add the environs inside the car becomes a health hazard due to the spores (also is a bit stuffy inside). I will take it out for a spin this weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks