Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2012, 20:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help reqd with installing OE tachometer in AStar VXi

I sourced an AStar ZXI's pod tachometer for my AStar VXI. I peeked under the dashboard but so far failed to locate a connection point for the coupler. I don't even know if the VXI comes with a coupler for the tacho. I thought it would be there.

It would be of great help if a ZXI owner could go under the dash and click few pics for me showing where the coupler from the tacho connects to.

Here is the pic of the tacho. It cost me Rs1098/-

Help reqd with installing OE tachometer in AStar VXi-img020.jpg

Help reqd with installing OE tachometer in AStar VXi-img022.jpg
Old 17th February 2012, 20:45   #2
BHPian

Re: Help reqd with installing OE tachometer in AStar VXi

Why don't you take your car to Maruti service station and ask one of the mechanics to do it for you? Wouldn't cost you much and since an authorized would know the insides well, it wouldn't even take much time.
Abhinav667 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 09:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

The local MASS is not very enthusiastic about these kind of non routine jobs. Thats what i got to know when i hinted reg this some time back.

Also waiting for a few more parts to arrive, 1) Parts book and 2) a bracket for the installation of this tacho.

Last edited by Sankar : 18th February 2012 at 09:53.
Old 18th February 2012, 10:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

I will closely follow this thread, as even I am keen on fitting a Tachometer from Vxi/Zxi Ritz in my Lxi variant. Though it's not as glamorous as the aftermarket tachos but I would still prefer the OEM one.

keep the thread updated.
Old 20th February 2012, 18:37   #5
BHPian

This is a good idea. But I have my Own doubts this would be possible. This happened because one of the automobile electricians told me that there are different wiring kits (wiring harness) used for different vehicles.
I am not sure if the A-star wiring kit for the Lxi model would have a connector for a tachometer.
With the wiring kit of the Vxi, there would be more wires and connectors for the power windows, fog lights etc.
The wiring kit of the Zxi would have more wires for more features, including the Abs and Airbags controls.

Now, if there is a board located some where near the instrument console which has connnectors then it would be possible to connect the tacho without much alterations. But looking at the wire size and connector i feel the wires should come from the ECU. Not sure about this though.

Your best option would be to get in touch with a SA who has ripped all the A-star's electricals and worked with it. he will be able to give you more info.

The tacho on the left side on the A-star would look good as in the Ritz. Tacho on the Right obstructs the view badly from my experience.
Old 20th February 2012, 20:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since ours is a Vxi, can't help here. But @Sankar, if there is any award for the most modded A-Star, it would easily be yours. Really admire the effort you put in to make the efforts and source the parts (in some cases, from outside India too).
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I sourced an AStar ZXI's pod tachometer for my AStar VXI. I peeked under the dashboard but so far failed to locate a connection point for the coupler. I don't even know if the VXI comes with a coupler for the tacho.
From the very short tach wire, it is very likely that the tach connects to the instrument cluster. From the A-Star parts catalog, I remember the Zxi instrument cluster being different from the Lxi & Vxi variants. Will look it up & post pics if you like. From what I'd seen, the parts catalog does not make it clear where the tach's connector goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
But I have my own doubts this would be possible. This happened because one of the automobile electricians told me that there are different wiring kits (wiring harness) used for different vehicles. I am not sure if the A-star wiring kit for the Lxi model would have a connector for a tachometer. With the wiring kit of the Vxi, there would be more wires and connectors for the power windows, fog lights etc. The wiring kit of the Zxi would have more wires for more features, including the Abs and Airbags controls. But looking at the wire size and connector i feel the wires should come from the ECU. Not sure about this though.
Very true, there are a lot of modules for the ABS, Airbags, HVAC, etc. within the dash for the Zxi, the wiring harness itself would be different. Will confirm from the A-Star parts catalog...
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
This is a good idea. But I have my Own doubts this would be possible. This happened because one of the automobile electricians told me that there are different wiring kits (wiring harness) used for different vehicles.
I am not sure if the A-star wiring kit for the Lxi model would have a connector for a tachometer.
With the wiring kit of the Vxi, there would be more wires and connectors for the power windows, fog lights etc.
The wiring kit of the Zxi would have more wires for more features, including the Abs and Airbags controls.

Now, if there is a board located some where near the instrument console which has connnectors then it would be possible to connect the tacho without much alterations. But looking at the wire size and connector i feel the wires should come from the ECU. Not sure about this though.

Your best option would be to get in touch with a SA who has ripped all the A-star's electricals and worked with it. he will be able to give you more info.

The tacho on the left side on the A-star would look good as in the Ritz. Tacho on the Right obstructs the view badly from my experience.
There are already one large and two small unused couplers tucked away under the steering wheel. I wonder what that is for (its not for the tacho anyway), this is why i thought there could be a possibility of having a tacho coupler hidden somewhere.

If this works out i'll be installing it on the stock location, there is no space on the left where it would sit flush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Since ours is a Vxi, can't help here. But @Sankar, if there is any award for the most modded A-Star, it would easily be yours. Really admire the effort you put in to make the efforts and source the parts (in some cases, from outside India too).
Lol.. good thing that i don't own one of the easily moddable cars like Swift or Fiesta with lots of aftermarket support. If i did I would've gone bankrupt importing parts for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
From the very short tach wire, it is very likely that the tach connects to the instrument cluster. From the A-Star parts catalog, I remember the Zxi instrument cluster being different from the Lxi & Vxi variants. Will look it up & post pics if you like. From what I'd seen, the parts catalog does not make it clear where the tach's connector goes...

Very true, there are a lot of modules for the ABS, Airbags, HVAC, etc. within the dash for the Zxi, the wiring harness itself would be different. Will confirm from the A-Star parts catalog...
It would be of much help if you could post some pics from the catalogue! Do you have access to the workshop manuals? Please post he picture of the wiring diagram too if you have access to it. then i may be able to tap a wire to get the tacho signal.
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

^^

Sankar,

Since you have gotten this far,I suggest you close the loop yourself.
  1. get to see a Ritz vxi or zxi of a close friend ; the socket/wiring would be pretty much the same.
  2. get to TD a A-Star ZXi at your place ; and bend and shoot.
Option 1 IMHO would be easier.

I can try to get you a shot of the Ritz vxi's underdash

Edit:Logically , connections would be the same as the ones to a Swift OR Wagon-R OR Versa OR DZire OR sx4.

Aftermarket tachos in older cars like Premier were wired to the ignition coil + and - IIRC

Last edited by vigsom : 22nd February 2012 at 15:31. Reason: addn.
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:37   #10
BHPian

I am watching this closely, I am myself interested in getting a Tacho on my Vxi AT. I had asked the service center (Sai service) regarding the same and he said Vxi doesn't have provision for Tachometer.
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^

Sankar,

Since you have gotten this far,I suggest you close the loop yourself.
  1. get to see a Ritz vxi or zxi of a close friend ; the socket/wiring would be pretty much the same.
  2. get to TD a A-Star ZXi at your place ; and bend and shoot.
Option 1 IMHO would be easier.

I can try to get you a shot of the Ritz vxi's underdash

Edit:Logically , connections would be the same as the ones to a Swift OR Wagon-R OR Versa OR DZire OR sx4.

Aftermarket tachos in older cars like Premier were wired to the ignition coil + and - IIRC
A cousin of mine has Ritz VXi but meeting him wouldn't be easy as our work timings are such. I'm trying to get access to an AStar ZXi at the service center. I went to a MASS this Sunday for a wheel bearing problem and also to see if there are any AStar ZXi but there were none. Will take the TD route if nothing works out. But i can't just bend down and click a pic, i have to take out the snapfit bottom panel.

It would be great if you can get me some under dash pics of the Ritz to see where the wire is going. But let me warn you that it won;t be easy in the Ritz since the tacho sits on the left side of the dash and very inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I am watching this closely, I am myself interested in getting a Tacho on my Vxi AT. I had asked the service center (Sai service) regarding the same and he said Vxi doesn't have provision for Tachometer.
I asked the MASS and the SA told me that wiring is different and i need to change the ECU. i know that i dont have to change the ECu to get this working.
Old 22nd February 2012, 18:01   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

as I can see in the pic you've posted,there are four pins - two for the illumination(+ve and _ve) and two for the tacho.

The guy who has a Ritz vxi hasn't brought the car today ; let me see if I can get hold of anoher car.

Meanwhile why don't you try the other route I'd suggested - swift/versa/dzire/sx4?logically, tachos in all cars work on the same principle.The only problem here is that you won't be able to identify the wires to the tacho since it is a single wiring socket with multiple wires running in and out.
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Meanwhile why don't you try the other route I'd suggested - swift/versa/dzire/sx4?logically, tachos in all cars work on the same principle.The only problem here is that you won't be able to identify the wires to the tacho since it is a single wiring socket with multiple wires running in and out.
Looking at other instrument consoles doesn't help i guess, i need to identify the wires and/or the coupler. I know that replacing a tacholess instrument console with tacho console of the same/similar model works in some cases, so wiring should be already there. I read in the Alto modification thread about a member replacing his Alto Lx's (1.1) tacholess console with Wagon-R's console and got the RPM meter working. I'm hoping to achieve something like that.
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
It would be of much help if you could post some pics from the catalog !
I hope you find these pics useful, these are from the A-Star parts catalog...

0) The instrument console, the console for the Zxi has a separate part number.

Help reqd with installing OE tachometer in AStar VXi-astar_0_instrumentconsole.jpg

1) The tachometer itself, as you'd mentioned you'd need a bracket too.

Help reqd with installing OE tachometer in AStar VXi-astar_1_tachometer.jpg

2) Engine electrical components, the Zxi does not have a separate ECU, hence if the tach plugs into the ECU, you shouldn't have an issue.

Help reqd with installing OE tachometer in AStar VXi-astar_2_ecu.jpg

3) Wiring harnesses, no special mention of wiring for the tach, however the instrument panel wiring harness is different across variants.

Help reqd with installing OE tachometer in AStar VXi-astar_3_wiringharnesses_0.jpg

Help reqd with installing OE tachometer in AStar VXi-astar_4_wiringharnesses_1.jpg

Help reqd with installing OE tachometer in AStar VXi-astar_5_wiringharnesses_2.jpg

4) Electrical controls, again no special mention of the tach.

Help reqd with installing OE tachometer in AStar VXi-astar_6_electricalcontrols_0.jpg

Help reqd with installing OE tachometer in AStar VXi-astar_7_electricalcontrols_1.jpg

5) The dashboard, the Zxi appears to have a different instrument panel compared to the other variants.

Help reqd with installing OE tachometer in AStar VXi-astar_8_dashboard_0.jpg

Quote:
Do you have access to the workshop manuals ?
Unfortunately, I do not have the A-Star's service manual with me - yet

Quote:
Please post he picture of the wiring diagram too if you have access to it.
Usually the wiring diagram is sold separately & even has its own part number (which is usually mentioned in the service manual). The service manual will have detailed information regarding the ECU pin-outs & also information on diagnosing tach issues.

Last edited by im_srini : 23rd February 2012 at 14:20.
im_srini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:18   #15
AWD
BHPian

This is a very good project. I have a related question, how easy/difficult is it to install a tacho on a car & does the retro-fitted tacho function as good as an OE one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks