Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2012, 00:33   #1
BHPian

Coido Car Polisher - Any good?

Recently I have been on the lookout for a car polisher so that I can do a DIY job on mine, and came across this.

Coido Original Car Polisher 12V DC-Wax & Polish | eBay

I must say I found this quite good, and I do hope it will serve the purpose. Has anyone tried this one, or anything similiar? Any feedback regarding the same? There is a mention of this or a similiar product on another thread, but no feedback.

Another concern is, this needs to be connected to the 12V power outlet. Since polishing would take quite some time, would it not drain the battery to run it off the power outlet for such a long period? The reason I am asking this is because of the following incident, which I anyways intended to post about.

A few days back, while I was working on the tyres, I had connected my phone to the music system, rolled down the windows and played music while I worked. This went on for a good 45 minutes, at the end of which, the car refused to start, owing to battery failure. I gave up after a few attempts, and had to push it back into the garage. Later in the evening on the same day, I tried starting it again and it started up just fine. Due to this, I am wondering whether there is something wrong with my battery.

Kindly provide any advice on this. Thanks.

PS. Its a '03 Alto VXi 1.1., 65k+ on the ODO.
Old 25th February 2012, 01:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Coido Car Polisher - Any good?

Its just a orbital waxer! Don't waste your money on this!

Running from the 12V power supply it'll barely have any power to polish! Polishing requires the ability of the machine to work under pressure with a pad loaded with polish or compound!

For polishing, your best bet is a dedicated dual action polisher. Dewalt and bosch make one that is available locally.

And I'd recommend minimal load on the car's battery while working on it! Only device that I would ever use with the 12v socket are mobile chargers and in case of a flat tyre, a tyre inflating pump!

Last edited by sohail99 : 25th February 2012 at 01:03.
sohail99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 04:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would not recommend buying this one, also there is already a thread discussing this. Here it is

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-polisher.html

In nutshell this needs to be used by expert hands.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 12:01   #4
BHPian

hi swarnava,

on the contrary to what you have rcvd so far, i would definitely recommend this one. i have the electric supply professional one, bought from ausralia (costed me the same), but was on the lookout for something like this myself. i'd agree with sohail that there are better brands but they are 5 times the price in india!! if you are avid car carer then invest wisely. else for on and off jobs this portable thing looks quite usefull. specially in metro cities where you don't have your own garages / work space and need to work only in stilt parkings. only word of advise, use a good polish (f-1 , armour all or turtlewax kinds).

@ sohail : if you your 12v dc output can take a tyre inflator (min 100W) then don't think it will affect you polisher (max 30w) motor. although i agree duration will be longer but in my opinion will consume as much as your music system does. which by the way is about 50w.
gultajkanwal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 13:58   #5
BHPian

Re: Coido Car Polisher - Any good?

I ordered this earlier this month (from Rediff I think, I forget now whether it was Rediff or Ebay). I am still looking for a good liquid wax compound to use it with for polishing -- I have a black Cruze. But I have tried it without the chemical just to get a feel of the machine and I don't have any complaints. I should add that I have the 220 V version, not the 12 V version (which I imagine would be a big load on the car battery). Besides, the 12 V version would require a window to be open (unless you connect it to the battery through the bonnet) -- sounds like a clumsy way of operating a polisher imho.
Old 26th February 2012, 15:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gultajkanwal View Post
hi swarnava,

on the contrary to what you have rcvd so far, i would definitely recommend this one. i have the electric supply professional one, bought from ausralia (costed me the same), but was on the lookout for something like this myself. i'd agree with sohail that there are better brands but they are 5 times the price in india!! if you are avid car carer then invest wisely. else for on and off jobs this portable thing looks quite usefull. specially in metro cities where you don't have your own garages / work space and need to work only in stilt parkings. only word of advise, use a good polish (f-1 , armour all or turtlewax kinds).

@ sohail : if you your 12v dc output can take a tyre inflator (min 100W) then don't think it will affect you polisher (max 30w) motor. although i agree duration will be longer but in my opinion will consume as much as your music system does. which by the way is about 50w.
Personally I've only used the tyre infiltrator on my baby once in the 2 years of ownership and haven't used anything else with the 12V socket!

Sure you can go ahead and use anything that can plug into a 12V socket and it will work, but personally, I believe in not stressing the car's electrical system.(Just something I like to follow in my baby!! )

I bet the electrical system was designed to handle the stock music system and speakers from the factory. But the designers can never really know what stuff the owner will plug into the 12v socket after the car leaves the factory!

You can check out ebay seller, automall(he has Mothers polishes, optimum hyper polishes) or Bringingbest(for Meguiars Ultimate compound, ultimate polish and swirlX) - New Products IIYou sure can get f1 and turtlewax, but I've tried them all and Meguiars and optimum stuff works a LOT better and a breeze to use. You'll love it!
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:29   #7
BHPian

IMHO please do not buy this polisher. It is a waste of money. Will not have the power nor the RPM. Using this to polish your car would be like doing.

Instead go for a heavy duty one. The ones that are used by professionals. This kind of industrial polishers should be used only once in a year or 6 months. If used more regularly, it would affect the paint.
rajanprash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 21:10   #8
BHPian

Please do not buy this. It does not have enough power to rotate even with the lightest pressure. The applicator will vobble like a vibrator!
With the first use itself I have decided not to use it further. Just wasted the money.
If somebody wants it, can be collected from my place for free.
BTW Coido tyre inflator is good.
salbin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 12:25   #9
BHPian

If you are going to use a polisher once a year or once every 6 months, I don't think it is sensible to buy such an expensive machine (the professional ones you speak of cost at least 14 grand. The cheapest local polisher I found was 8.5 grand, and it wasn't exactly local either). It might be a better idea to take your car every 6 months (or once a year for that matter) to a professional body shop or detailing shop to get that look.

Also, to add to what you said, using a professional quality polisher at home will require greater care as applying too much pressure can strip off the paint, and getting that repaired may cost you a lot more. So why take the risk of using a heavy duty power tool if you're not trained?

While I agree that the Coido 12 V polisher is no good, the 220 V version (which I have) is not that bad, if you want an inexpensive polisher at home. The key is to use a proper liquid or gel wax with it...Meguiars/Collinite/3M.

As an aside, I should add that many old style low RPM drilling machines or grinding machines can be retrofitted with polishing attachments -- which is what EMG does. So if you can find such use for your professional power tool for the other 6 months, it might be VFM
Old 20th March 2012, 15:59   #10
BHPian

Buying a professional one is a better idea but it doesnt come cheap, a good car polisher would cost anywhere between 3500 to 6000. I have been polishing both my cars from the sponge and trust me after waxing and rubbing my both cars my hands are gone for toss atleast for a day and i m put on pain killers.

I was looking for an alternate solution to this, my requirements were very simple.

1) I stay in apartment hence both my cars are parked in a reserved parking area with no access to main AC power line. so in short i cant use the professional one which runs on AC

2) I didnt wanted to spend too much money on this toy because i do the polishing once on say 3 months.

So the solution was to buy something which costs me less than 1K and save my hands from taking pain killers. so i decided to buy the coido car polisher from the local car accessory shop at 900.00.

It comes with two attachments, one a sponge which is used for the applying the liquid wax and the other attachment is a buffer. I have used it for the first time and the results were not bad for that price. it took almost half the time of manual process and since it is operates on car battery so no need to hunt for AC socket. the cable is long enough to go around my octi.

in short i would say if you want to polish once in while and want a polisher in your budget and want to save time and money this brand polisher is not bad choice.

I once again say this is my personal opinion and no offense to anyone.

Last edited by joeblack : 20th March 2012 at 16:01.
joeblack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 11:15   #11
BHPian

I am planning to buy a polisher for my cars. Some basic points i found out (god bless the net).
Unless you are a trained professional avoid rotary polisher. U tend to burn the paint and destroy the finish, as i found out the hard way.
An orbital polisher is the safest bet for a diy enthusiast. They don't generate heat the way the rotary do, as per the info i got, it is impossible to damage paint.
Most random orbital sanders can be used as a polisher, round surface is a must.
Avoid the kp1200. It's cheap but only for waxing.
Use different pads for wax and compounding.
All major brands like Bosch, Makita, Dwelt etc have them. Maguires is pretty good as per auto geek. Though quite expensive here.

Planning to do a bit more research before investing. I will keep you guy's posted.

Products wise I'll stick out my neck and say 3M for compounding and turtle for wax. It has worked well for me so far.
Important: wash the car well with mild shampoo and avoid wash and shine products. And make sure the car is totally dry and park in a shade to avoid the metal heating up.

Last edited by VANOS : 20th January 2013 at 11:18.
Old 21st April 2015, 22:08   #12
BHPian

Ordered the coido polisher online and got the delivery yesterday. Tried the polisher on my car and have following to share-
1. Very cheap @Rs. 950/- only.
2. Took almost 3 hours to polish my fortuner. Painful.
3. The size of both the applicator and polisher is too small, about 3 inches in diameter. Probably it is meant for polishing thinner panels like the pillars with ease.
4. The moment one tries to hold it firmly by putting a little pressure, the machine slows down to unacceptable levels and the same lead to excessive heating of the motor. If not held firmly with some pressure the machine wobbles like a vibrator and is of no use. So a lot of practice, patience & time is required.
5. The results are better than polishing with bare hands probably because polisher rubs over a given portion more number of times with lesser pressure thus insuring the wax to stay and do the job. However one has to Do the final job with hand for removing the wax completely.
At the end I'll not recommend this product as the amount of effort put in is not equated to the final output. Would rather prefer visiting a car detailing workshop once in a while. But it's ok for minor rubbing jobs to remove scratches with compound. Would also be posting some pics of the product.

Last edited by gotcha797 : 21st April 2015 at 22:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks