Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:26   #1
BHPian

Baleno with koni yellows

My baleno finally gets koni yellows.

Iam finally running my baleno on koni yellows, it's been a long time since I wanted to do some modifications on it to improve handling . In jan i started enquiring bout the possibilities . Started with strut brace , got it done at red roosters, did feel the difference but still dint get the confidence I was looking for. I enquired at red roosters for any upgrades on handling dept. but no luck except the brake pads.

Then after going through some posts on suspension upgrades I started enquiring for koni and pedders *decided to go for koni yellows. When I checked with methods automotive ,they informed me that koni stopped producing the rear struts for baleno. But then they told me that few customers have fixed the same front struts at rear as well and it works without any issues, I was not sure bout that , so I called one customer who did this set up and gave me a positive feedback, still I wanted to check on this before placing the order , i called a friend who heads the suspension division for a company, he told me that it's feasible except that the ride might be stiff at the back as the front struts are designed to take more weight.

So I placed my order for four front struts, and got it in two weeks time.

Last weekend got them installed, front struts sits without any issues, but when we opend the rear suspensions and tried inserting the konis , it got stuck. The rear OEM drum was thicker than the front , anyways after some lathe job it worked . I kept the settings to default (factory settings). Went out for test and everything felt great but there was this thud sound whenever we crossed some small humps. I drove it for few days but that sound was very annoying.

So called my friend again to get some information on this. He asked me to do a small test , measure the distance between centre of wheel and wheel arch , then jack up the car and measure again and wheel is hanging, according to him the drop should be at least 60mm. (60to 100mm drop Is good). Mine turned out to be 20mm. So we need to get another 40mm at least . Yesterday we managed to get that 40mm by inserting two spacers 20mm each, one at top mount and one at bottom. Went for test again and thud sound almost vanished .
Will post some pics and driving experience soon.

Last edited by spider77 : 2nd April 2012 at 15:28.
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Baleno with koni yellows

Excellent, watching this space with lot of interest as i am planning to do something similar with my Baleno. What else did you do? When i called up RRP in madhavpura they said they cannot help me with suspension work etc. Did you get it done at RRP or somewhere else?

Do share some pictures and what else mods went into the car, and if possible approximate cost?
Old 2nd April 2012, 19:24   #3
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members. We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2012 at 15:54.
spider77 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th April 2012, 00:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

You did the mods to improve handling? What exactly were the issues you faced that prompted this move?
Old 6th April 2012, 09:43   #5
BHPian

Good decesion to go in for the Yellows! They were fixed in my car around 2.5yrs ago and the handling is just beautiful. it doesnt bounce around and cornering is fab! They are complemented by a set of AD07's!

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks