Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 10:27   #16
BANNED

Re: Are headlights that emit white light illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
the other challenge with ebay 4300K HIDs is that they end up burning some reflectors.
35W that too with a higher efficiency should not burn reflectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
All higher wattage bulbs are not white. HIDs are 35w only, so how can they be illegal?
The HID has a different discharge zone placement than the filament in an Halogen. So the pattern becomes different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Infact in fogs the light scatters much more and blinds more too.
The reflector pattern in Fogs is different, more diffuse lighting. Also, they are placed lower down, so this is incorrect unless someone really plays with the lamp placement and angle.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:07   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The reflector pattern in Fogs is different, more diffuse lighting. Also, they are placed lower down, so this is incorrect unless someone really plays with the lamp placement and angle.
From whatever cars I've seen that have HID in fogs (including mine), they blind more than the headlights. The headlights try and focus the beam but the fogs are all over the place.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I have replaced the stock 55W halogen lamps on my Vento with 35W 6000K (white) HIDs/projectors. Frankly am not very happy with the results and am compelled to use my foglamps pretty much all the time. I've retained the OE fogs because they are very good, no plans to replace them with white ones.

Have not been stopped for white lights in Mumbai/Pune so far but thanks for the warning- will keep an eye out and my story ready
Old 30th April 2012, 13:03   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Frankly am not very happy with the results and am compelled to use my foglamps pretty much all the time.
Completely OT, but thats for 2 reasons. The first is that you used 6000k, which doesn't give as good a useable light output as 4300k. The second is I think you bought the Rs.6000 Chinese/Taiwanese projectors which again aren't great quality.

If you are interested in improving it check out
The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications
Order your projectors from there, keeping the HIDs you have now and the output will still increase a fair amount.
Old 30th April 2012, 14:12   #20
BHPian

According to CMVR rules and AIS, any vehicle using HID kits or xenon lighting need to have headlamp washers and automatic-levelling system in place. This is for obvious reasons as HIDs cause high intensity dispersion and the levelling device keeps the the angle in place irrespective of the road conditions and weight in the vehicle
Old 30th April 2012, 14:17   #21
BANNED

@akshay1234; I fully agree with you that 4300K is far better than 6000K or higher. Also, the discharge zone in the better brands like Philips are well positioned, and does not produce glare.

As for fogs there are two issues - diffuse lighting, and glare. Whenever you put in HIDs you must realign properly, since any loose beam will blind more. Remember they are Fog Lamps and not Driving Lights. Do not mix up the two. Use them only in conditions of fog.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 16:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have seen different interpretation of this rule on the road, we were on two cars, i have modified my headlamps to white ones but i believe the power is not 90/100 (i believe its usual 65/??) and hence the intensity is not that high as one on my friends car. Once we were stopped while returning and he was fined and i was not as his bulb ratings were higher (90/10) if i remember it correctly.
Old 30th April 2012, 16:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wattage does not matter in case of HID as an excuse. These bulbs are made of some different technology and bound to emit more lights. Anybody uses HID without projector is illegal. Also, HID with projector in modded car is also illegal as per spec of car unless this mod is endorsed by RTO.

White light is also illegal as it is meant only for Off Road Drives. It is mentioned in the packing of bulbs.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 14:20   #24
BANNED

I think I saw a post somewhere in this forum that the reflector pattern in the Altis HID is different from that of the Altis (Normal). So obviously some reflector optimisation has gone into the HID version to handle the different size of the discharge zone. Why I am picking up the Altis is that it is a car with both Halogen and HID lamps available as standard depending on the model. Maybe some one can also elucidate as to the colour temperature in the HID!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks