Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 19:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: *Installed* - Reverse Parking System on Our Toyota Etios

A few reflections:
1. Screen size does not seem to matter as against standard 3.5" squarish one.

2. Sensors fitted are a bit away from corners due to already fitted bumper corner protectors. There does not seem to be huge problem in observing corner obstacles using the sensors and ORVMs. However, if possible, it should be seen that the sensors are placed as near to the corners as possible, but not directly on corners as it would be unnecessary to overlap ORVM and sensor scope, and cover the majority of the bumper area primarily.

3. The Micro Tab Cams have a small raised base for screws which makes it not completely flush with the bumper but leaves a small gap which I would like to vanish. Alternative is to fit it from inside bumper so that it is hidden from outside as well as this gap is eliminated. I think I am going to try that and it is fairly easy DIY of about half an hour I guess. The only thing is it will make the bumper rectangular cut visible directly BUT only when looked from below, though the cam will stick out a bit.

4. IR assisted micro tab cam may be better as the cam light and number plate light create quite a mix up. But not that this is creating any problem in the vision at night.

5. As I get the feedback from the driving in these days, it has been quite a useful thing to do. Anyway, Der sahi, Durust sahi.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 18:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

One alternative is to completely remove number plate light, fit the cam in its place which may need a plate or can be fitted inside the number plate light box itself. I won't do this now as I have already made a hole in the bumper, but others can think about it. The cam can be wired to power on parking lights so it works both as number plate and cam assisting light. Just a thought.
Old 8th May 2012, 08:43   #18
BANNED

@parsh; I am not too sure removing the number plate light altogether will not be illegal. So look before you leap is my advice to anyone contemplating such action.
Old 8th May 2012, 09:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
One alternative is to completely remove number plate light, fit the cam in its place which may need a plate or can be fitted inside the number plate light box itself. I won't do this now as I have already made a hole in the bumper, but others can think about it. The cam can be wired to power on parking lights so it works both as number plate and cam assisting light. Just a thought.
This should work fine IMO. Also the brightness of the Cam light is much better than the normal number plate light. However I feel it needs to be connected not to the parking lights but to the main headlights so that the Cam light glows continously during the night driving and at the same time assist during reversing. Pls correct me if I am wrong.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 11:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@parsh; I am not too sure removing the number plate light altogether will not be illegal. So look before you leap is my advice to anyone contemplating such action.
It maynot be illegal per se. But I sure wont be doing it because I have already made a rectangular hole in the bumper for the cam fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
This should work fine IMO. Also the brightness of the Cam light is much better than the normal number plate light. However I feel it needs to be connected not to the parking lights but to the main headlights so that the Cam light glows continously during the night driving and at the same time assist during reversing. Pls correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, maybe this should work fine. But anybody contemplating this should first do trial on it during night time/get fitted it in night time. The cam light is definitely brighter and whiter than the number plate light. The Parking Lights are the first step in turning on any lights which also turn on the number plate lights simultaneously. After this only the HLs turn on while the parking lights stay on. This is common across light stalks on any car. So the cam light will glow continuously once the parking lights are turned on in the night time driving.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 11:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
This cannot be illegal as the light in the camera will act as the number plate light if wired correctly to the number plate light connectors.

In fact looking at the camera, I feel it is designed to act as the numberplate light ( ofcourse by removing the OEM light) than a camera assist light, as the camera is in an angle and the light is pointing down similar to the OE light above numberplate.
vinodv001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 12:01   #22
BHPian

Nice and clean installation!

Where from the camera / sensors are getting the current? Which of the wires was cut to give the power?

Also there are reverse camera systems in the market, which offer wireless connection to OEM music system, can connect a USB drive to play music, movies in the LCD of camera, mobile can also be connected and made hands free along with the default functionality of reverse camera guiding system.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 8th May 2012 at 12:02.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Nice and clean installation!

Where from the camera / sensors are getting the current? Which of the wires was cut to give the power?

Also there are reverse camera systems in the market, which offer wireless connection to OEM music system, can connect a USB drive to play music, movies in the LCD of camera, mobile can also be connected and made hands free along with the default functionality of reverse camera guiding system.

Cheers!
Irish
Thanks Irish.

The power is drawn from the same wires which connect the Stereo. Now no wires are cut for this.There is standard adapter in the car which is provided to connect a stereo. While connecting a stereo, the stereo itself has open wires and the female end has to be connected to them so that the provided male adapter can plug into to connect the stereo. So we took the power by tapping on these female adapter that is the stereo is connected to.

There are numerous systems but their availability in the market to even peek at them is doubtful. A couple of them I had shortlisted in the R&D that I did and had posted in the Camera or Sensor thread starting from link in the first post of this thread. The SmartTalk IRVM from iGaggetsIndia is one such. The other one from IGI is also IRVM but without mobile connectivity. Xenos and RD LCDs are good and offer 2 AV inputs so you can connect DVD player output etc. But then think how good it will be to watch something on a distant small screen of RPS instead of proper DVD ICE systems with screens or additional DVD screens, also playing something on the RPS screen will also distract the driver while driving as it will be (it should be ideally) in direct vision of the driver.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 23:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
A few reflections:
4. IR assisted micro tab cam may be better as the cam light and number plate light create quite a mix up.
What I would suggest to overcome this is what I have done on my baleno. Change the number plate bulbs to white Philips blue vision ones. They should be size w5w. It's just a 2 min job, unscrew change bulb and screw back in. After you do this there should be no interference with the different light at all, plus I think it looks much better also. Especially with that style number plate which i have, Blings it Out proper!

Shouldn't cost more than 100-150 bucks for a set of 2. If you want I can direct you where to buy them online.

Cheers!

Ps. I don't have a reverse parking system as I don't need it, but I think this is the best and least painless option to go for, especially as it enhances the looks also. Just my recommendation.
Old 10th May 2012, 13:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
What I would suggest to overcome this is what I have done on my baleno. Change the number plate bulbs to white Philips blue vision ones. They should be size w5w. It's just a 2 min job, unscrew change bulb and screw back in. After you do this there should be no interference with the different light at all, plus I think it looks much better also. Especially with that style number plate which i have, Blings it Out proper!

Shouldn't cost more than 100-150 bucks for a set of 2. If you want I can direct you where to buy them online.

Cheers!

Ps. I don't have a reverse parking system as I don't need it, but I think this is the best and least painless option to go for, especially as it enhances the looks also. Just my recommendation.
It will surely enhance the look as it will make the light more or less uniform. It is just that it looks like a mixture of lights when seen from behind while reversing because the cam light is wired to power up that time only. However, it is not hampering the vision as such and so not yet keen on changing the bulbs as such, maybe in future if feel like or some other alternative.
Old 14th May 2012, 13:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
It will surely enhance the look as it will make the light more or less uniform. It is just that it looks like a mixture of lights when seen from behind while reversing because the cam light is wired to power up that time only. However, it is not hampering the vision as such and so not yet keen on changing the bulbs as such, maybe in future if feel like or some other alternative.

@Parsh, you are right. As the white camera light comes on only when you engage the reverse gear, let the number plate lights just be as it is.

A far as the concern of the camera being stolen, i recommend you use hex screws which would make it difficult for the camera to be removed when compared to conventional screws.
speedmunster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 18:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
@Parsh, you are right. As the white camera light comes on only when you engage the reverse gear, let the number plate lights just be as it is.

A far as the concern of the camera being stolen, i recommend you use hex screws which would make it difficult for the camera to be removed when compared to conventional screws.
Yes, that thought came in but they did not have the hex screws at the moment so had to settle for Philips screws right now, going to do it asap though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks