Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 14:52   #1

*Installed* : Race Chip in Fiat Linea

Hello There,

The linea ( a pre worshipped - 2010 ) model which I have been using for the past 6 months has been great. Except for the fact that it does not pull faster like the Swift, It's been a great car.

I have gone around south India from Chennai to Tanjore, Coimbatore, Kodaikanal . Outside of my state have travelled chennai-Hyderabad - Bengalooru ( Hyderabad - Bengalooru is a dream road- 600 kms in 6 hours ).

IMHO the car goes fast, is very stable and reliable . It has not let me down even once.

*Installed* : Race Chip in Fiat Linea-ps1.jpg

But something was missing. The Oomph that I get from my swift. I missed it.

So went through all the posts in regards to ecu remaps and boxes.

AKS Karthik's posts helped me narrow down to Race-Chip ( A mixture of VFM , Performance and Efficiency )

The process is simple. GO to their website , choose your model and pay.I chose the JTD fiat Linea , and ordered a normal chip. The pro one seemed a bit expensive with extra 100 euros. I had an issue with paypal, so had to goto the paypal site with the booking ID and send the payment from Paypal to their details , which you will be getting through email.

I got race chip delivered in 3 days ( Had to pay 2225 rs as duty ) even after that the cost of this was lower to others outside.

Now the installation .

I am not that much into knowing the engine details and how to remove the things that i see there .

So asked AKS Karthik to help me with some pictures. But he did not have them with him and he was generous to ask me to come to his place and help me to fix it.

But luckily my friend sent me a link to how a pete's box is set up on a linea.

The issue I had was to find the plug and the pictures that race chip had sent was not that clear to me.

So here goes.

This is where you can see the connector.

*Installed* : Race Chip in Fiat Linea-ps2a.jpg

*Installed* : Race Chip in Fiat Linea-ps2.jpg

But to reach there,

You will have to remove the cover. I did not have professional tools, but I managed to remove it. So please do so under caution.

*Installed* : Race Chip in Fiat Linea-ps3.jpg

you will have to remove this air inlet too

*Installed* : Race Chip in Fiat Linea-ps4.jpg

Now , you need to pull the cover, my hands were trembling when I initially did it.

From now on you should be able to follow the manual

The pics show how I have connected the Race Chip on the Linea.

*Installed* : Race Chip in Fiat Linea-ps5.jpg

*Installed* : Race Chip in Fiat Linea-ps6.jpg

*Installed* : Race Chip in Fiat Linea-ps7.jpg

I found this place much easier to reach than hiding it near the battery.

I have covered it so that i save it up a bit from water.

It's personal Choice where anyone wants to store the chip.

Hope I answer your question Gadgetfreak ;-) you made me rethink where to place the box .

I would like to thank the guys who have posted extensively on the race chip and the Linea.

Special Thanks to AKS Karthik.

And also my loving assistant who was more intrigued than me

*Installed* : Race Chip in Fiat Linea-ps8.jpg

Will post about the performance once i do a detail check .

Hopefully by the end of the weekend.

Thanks a lot for patiently putting up with my words.
Old 11th May 2012, 15:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Race Chip - Linea - Installation

Congrats.
I have n't removed the Engine cover. My hand is very easily entered in to the area from where we take out the connector.
I keep/tie my RaceChip with the Box in the image below showed in Yellow Box.
*Installed* : Race Chip in Fiat Linea-ps5.jpg
I tied with given Black strings so that we can easily tune it whenever it's needed and out from water and dust.
From my last 2 service, i kept the RaceChip there itself and it's unnoticed.
But the person who took back my car from service, found something in my car and He told, your car is zipping and much faster than other Linea's.

Now we are having > 100Bhp car

Last edited by aks_karthik : 11th May 2012 at 15:11.
aks_karthik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 15:47   #3

Thanks a Lot Karthik na,

I never saw that place on the right side.

Now to test the car on performance and tweak it further.

Eyeing all your settings...

Ctrl+c --> Ctrl+v

And Test Them. A Busy Weekend For me .
Old 11th May 2012, 18:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amneo View Post
Thanks a Lot Karthik na,

I never saw that place on the right side.

Now to test the car on performance and tweak it further.

Eyeing all your settings...

Ctrl+c --> Ctrl+v

And Test Them. A Busy Weekend For me .

Hi Guys,

Just update me if you made any changes to stock racechip. I have connected it in its default factory settings. But there is a very little difference in pickup and mileage, but not very significant.
Old 11th May 2012, 18:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: *Installed* : Race Chip in Fiat Linea

Please keep us updated about the performance part.
Regarding the OOMPH factor vis a vis a swift,i agree its slower till hundered and does not have that pull at 2K RPM,but from my experience,post 90km\hr,its as fast as swift,or probably a wee bit faster.
Old 12th May 2012, 14:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

I've placed the Race Chip like these below images.

*Installed* : Race Chip in Fiat Linea-image3223873320.jpg

*Installed* : Race Chip in Fiat Linea-image4190017361.jpg

Last edited by aks_karthik : 12th May 2012 at 14:39.
Old 14th May 2012, 00:47   #7

Hi all,

reporting back on the race chip story after driving around and tweaking around a lot.

The stock setting that I got for the linea, was like good. I think there was a line drawn between mileage and power.( in the oomph meter it only had oo) But the car was moving at good speed.

But my hands were itching to take it further.

there is a rotary system in which you can set the amount of increase you need with regards to mileage as well as power.

so 2 rotaries and for the first setting , i moved the power gauge to 3 points ahead, ie 4.5 % increase from the chip"s setting. and mileage to 1 band ahead.

The car showed improvement , but it was lugging with acceleration.In the manual they had given if there is lugging, push the mileage setting 2 steps back.driving the car was a bit ok'ísh . The car was still in the same state as the previous one. very normal.

It was not enough for me. SO i pushed the power switch to 4 + places and moved the mileage key 1 step back.

That is bringing the car around 10% more than the initial setting of the chip( Please am talking about the chip's initial setting and not the car's stock setting.)

Now the car was having a beautiful pick up. Something that was amiss in the linea. Makes you think the stock car should have had this much power( oomph meter it touched oomp )

The setting currently it is in is

first rotary - 2

second rotary 1

I am enjoying the drive in this setting . power is available when it is needed as well as mileage.

I have not done extensive testing. driving in chennai traffic for 25 kms , with mixed traffic gave me 14 km/l on the console .so it could be + or - 1 .

SO as of now the car is in this setting, I will post updates as and when i collect some data.

@Karthik na, you have done a good job wit regards to packaging the chip in the car.

so current setting of 2-1
is good for me for the time being.

Will post when I get some more data.
Thanking you all
Old 14th May 2012, 11:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the piggy back power increase box. So when you say the Oomph is at "oomp" how does it translate to real world i.e. when you compare it in terms of turbo lag plus the acceleration once its in the turbo band vis-a-vis the stock linea. Also have you noticed more black smoke or something?
Old 14th May 2012, 12:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Amneo,

Did you find any Black Smoke from Exhaust?
Check and lemme know.
I am currently with 3 and F.
The car is really fast in all gears and sometimes unable to control it really.
Thrust makes me litlle Giddiness. Have to ride with someone and Check again.
Definitely there's a toll in FE.
Enjoy and Drive Safe

Last edited by aks_karthik : 14th May 2012 at 12:23.
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 09:22   #10

New data coming soon. 5000 km drive to be completed by this week. :-) will post once am back :-)
Old 29th June 2012, 18:51   #11
BHPian

@ Amneo: I'd sent you an email as I can't PM you. I wanted to know why you chose the Linea 1.3 JTD box instead of the MJD one. Is it because the JTD spec matches the Indian Linea? I do know that the MultiJet is an updated version of Fiat's earlier JTD.

Your input would be helpful as I intend to get a Race Chip box from Germany in a few weeks.

Last edited by coloneljasi : 29th June 2012 at 18:53.
Old 1st July 2012, 22:41   #12

hello coloneljasi,

Yes, all of us have chosen the jtd because it closely matches the output of the Indian version.

It is sad to note that we are unlucky not to have the other version as the specs in the other engine variant is much higher. But

Nothing to worry, the race chip takes away the sadness and brings you a lot of smiles once you have found your sweet setting.

It is definitely worth the money . Buy with confidence and do post telling how it's doing. Thank you.
Amneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amneo View Post
hello coloneljasi,

Yes, all of us have chosen the jtd because it closely matches the output of the Indian version.

It is sad to note that we are unlucky not to have the other version as the specs in the other engine variant is much higher. But

Nothing to worry, the race chip takes away the sadness and brings you a lot of smiles once you have found your sweet setting.

It is definitely worth the money . Buy with confidence and do post telling how it's doing. Thank you.
Cheers for that! I guessed as much, just wanted to confirm it, that's all. I'll be ordering the RC box soon.

But before I do that, I need to get my car sorted out. Apparently, it has started consuming a lot of oil every few thousand kms and the exhaust produces black smoke when the car is revved hard. Tell tale signs of something wrong in the engine bay. The car will be going to the dealer in a few days, looks like it going to stay a while before I get her back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks