Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 19:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation

Got my Bosch cabin filter today so i thought of putting it in this evening. This is the simplest cabin filter install you can do in any car there are no screws to undo and nothing to remove except the glovebox.

I got the MGP cabin filter installed in my car couple of weeks ago, but when i checked it i found that its height was less compared to the slot it goes in, so i thought of buying the Bosch filter, which i knew was larger from my AStar install, and putting it in. But the MGP filter wasn't wasted either. Found another use for it

Open the glove box. Pull it up towards you and it will un clip from the hinges. Now tilt it to a side and take it out. Remove the contents before pulling out the glove box.
Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_0321.jpg

Now you can see the filter tray lid. Two clips on the right and the left side of the lid hold this onto the blower assembly. Pry the clip outwards and pull it out.
Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_0316.jpg

The MGP filter. This doesn't fill the cavity well. Filter height is less compared to Bosch one for the Swift. This MGP filter will fit nicely in Alto's tray. Either the shop didn't have the right one for Swift or they use the same thing for all cars.
Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_0308.jpg

Bosch filter.
Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_0309.jpg

Comparison between Bosch and MGP filter. The grey one is MGP. Both have felt lining on either sides to help seal with the airbox.
Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_0311.jpg

Bosch filter in the tray, partially in. It fills well.
Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_0312.jpg

I cut the MGP filter and used a part of it to cover the grill opening which takes in the recirculation mode air from inside the cabin. Now that will give an additional layer of filtration, better than no filter there.
Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_0318.jpg
Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_0319.jpg
Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_0320.jpg

The filter in the pics is the "Bosch standard" cabin filter, they do make an activated carbon filter but it was not in stock. This filter will fit the Swift,Swift Dzire, SX4, AStar, New Swift, New Swift Dzire. To install in the AStar the filter tray lid has to be cut along the border and we can use the cut piece of plastic and electrical tape to reseal the filter tray. Floating debris and fine dust sedimentation on top of the car's dashboard was minimised to a great extent when i installed this in the AStar. I should've done it earlier. This is why i decided to go for one in my Swift right away. Bosch's recommended replacement interval for the cabin filter is 15000 kilometers.

Last edited by Sankar : 20th June 2012 at 20:02.
Sankar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 09:24   #2
BHPian

Re: Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I cut the MGP filter and used a part of it to cover the grill opening which takes in the recirculation mode air from inside the cabin. Now that will give an additional layer of filtration, better than no filter there
Great job. Can you please clarify how did you go about performing the underlined action ? Confused on the grill opening location for recirculation mode.

Thanks a ton
Old 21st June 2012, 09:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to know that such a filter exists and a pretty easy DIY !

But! isnt it clumsy of that glove box to just unclip and come just like that?
Old 21st June 2012, 10:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have made 3-4 trips to different dealers to get this filter for my Swift. But they did not have it in stock. I will now check with a Bosch dealer. And once I get the filter, will be able to install it myself thanks to your thread. How much did the Bosch filter cost?
Old 21st June 2012, 10:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Great job. Can you please clarify how did you go about performing the underlined action ? Confused on the grill opening location for recirculation mode.

Thanks a ton
The grill is a semicircular piece of plastic. It unclips on the left side, but not on the right side. So you cut the filter paper to the required length (width is correct and matches with the grill) put one of the filter paper folds (the filter paper already has folds since its made like that) under the grill on the top then put another fold under the grill on the bottom and then press the grill back in. The paper will be held in place by the grill. Now this is not an airtight fit as the paper was never meant to be put there, but it will give some added filtration.

On recirculation mode the air is taken through this opening, and i'm just covering that opening with an additional piece of paper for additional filtration. Even if its not covered in filter paper the filter inside the tray will still filter the air irrespective of the mode - Fresh or Recirc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Interesting to know that such a filter exists and a pretty easy DIY !

But! isnt it clumsy of that glove box to just unclip and come just like that?
It will not come off just like that you have to pull it up and towards you with some force. The glove box stays put under all the normal operating conditions its designed for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I have made 3-4 trips to different dealers to get this filter for my Swift. But they did not have it in stock. I will now check with a Bosch dealer. And once I get the filter, will be able to install it myself thanks to your thread. How much did the Bosch filter cost?
MRP of Bosch standard filter is Rs.700/- but got it for a little less than that. Go for the Activated carbon filter if its available, absorbs fumes and smoke. It wasn't available here.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 17:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The grill is a semicircular piece of plastic. It unclips on the left side, but not on the right side. So you cut the filter paper to the required length (width is correct and matches with the grill) put one of the filter paper folds (the filter paper already has folds since its made like that) under the grill on the top then put another fold under the grill on the bottom and then press the grill back in. The paper will be held in place by the grill. Now this is not an airtight fit as the paper was never meant to be put there, but it will give some added filtration.

On recirculation mode the air is taken through this opening, and i'm just covering that opening with an additional piece of paper for additional filtration. Even if its not covered in filter paper the filter inside the tray will still filter the air irrespective of the mode - Fresh or Recirc.

It will not come off just like that you have to pull it up and towards you with some force. The glove box stays put under all the normal operating conditions its designed for.

MRP of Bosch standard filter is Rs.700/- but got it for a little less than that. Go for the Activated carbon filter if its available, absorbs fumes and smoke. It wasn't available here.
Sankar,
Need your help here. I have bought MGA cabin filter for swift. I am a bit confused on how to put it in. The filter has an upward arrow with the word UP written near it and another set of arrow marks pointing downwards and written "air flow".
Which way should I put it? The direction marked UP should point upwards(towards dashboard) ?
Old 29th October 2013, 13:58   #7
BHPian

You are right, he direction marked UP should point upwards(towards dashboard).
If you look at the blower, we can see that the airflow is from top to bottom through the filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Sankar,
Which way should I put it? The direction marked UP should point upwards(towards dashboard) ?
vinodv001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 15:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just changed the cabin filter in wifey's 2013 Swift CVT (run 10,000 km).

SGP cabin filter

Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_2645.jpg

Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_2647.jpg

Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_2649.jpg

Simple replacement procedure

Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_2651.jpg

Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_2653.jpg

Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_2655.jpg

Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_2657.jpg

Old vs New

Swift Cabin (AC) Filter Installation-img_2659.jpg
Viju is offline   (3) Thanks