Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2012, 08:42   #1
BHPian

Removable Fog Lamps - Possible?

I want to install extra fog lamps (Hella?) on my Qualis. I am thinking a bracket just above the bumper welded to the metal part of the body would hold the two. However I would like a mechanism by which I can remove the fog lamps during city driving and be able to put those back when we go on outstation drives.

Is it possible to do this while not screwing up the aesthetics? Because I am concerned the bracket will look like a sore thumb when the fog lamps are removed.

- Krishnan
Old 21st July 2012, 09:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Removable Fog Lamps - Possible?

Tough to say, but whatever lights i have seen they are all fixed onto the car and the most one can do it cover them when not in use. I have not seen any removable ones, but my guess is if such lights exist, the possibility of them getting loose on the place they are fixed are very high.

Over long use and at high speeds they can rattle, or worse can get dangerous and come out due to high speed air flowing through and get dangerous.

Would suggest you revisit the requirement of having detachable fog lamps and consider keeping them fixed for ever.
Old 21st July 2012, 10:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why do you want to remove them? I had Hella fog lights on my Swift. In city driving I would just keep them covered and remove the cover while out on a highway night drive.

Also as you have mentioned the brackets will look horrible without the lights fitted on them.

Last edited by vikram_d : 21st July 2012 at 10:56.
Old 21st July 2012, 12:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806

....Would suggest you revisit the requirement of having detachable fog lamps and consider keeping them fixed for ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d
Why do you want to remove them?..

..Also as you have mentioned the brackets will look horrible without the lights fitted on them.
Yes, I agree with both of you. But call me paranoid, I am always afraid that some auto or 2-wheeler may bang against my bumper and cause the lights to get damaged.

- Krishnan
Old 22nd July 2012, 22:08   #5
BHPian

I was also thinking of installing removable fogs... especially since mine cost me almost 18K. Check - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2776538 for details.
Though I can remove the lights, it becomes a pain to remove, install and refocus each time. You may think that shouldn't take a lot of time, but believe me, it's impractical. The Qualis has a high bumper. If installed correctly, its not going to foul. Like I already mentioned, in the link above, even when I park with the front of the car touching the rear of the other car in the house (A swift), there is no risk of touching the lights. Of course, in a head on, the story is going to be a little different. But in regular day-to-day driving, you don't have to worry. If you are worried about someone knocking off your lights, high security nuts are the way to go. Peace of mind,in any gully!
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:50   #6
BHPian

You need something like this

Driving Lights [Unibar front bumper mount] - Toyota RAV4 Forums : RAV4World.com

Eagle Products Unibar Lighting Bracket

A 4x4 accessories manufacturer was fabricating them in India. Cant remember who though.
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
You need something like this

Driving Lights [Unibar front bumper mount] - Toyota RAV4 Forums : RAV4World.com

Eagle Products Unibar Lighting Bracket

A 4x4 accessories manufacturer was fabricating them in India. Cant remember who though.
There was one in the classifieds. Have a look!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks