Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 19:42   #1
BHPian

Additional Power Outlet in Boot

Hello,

I am interested in adding an additional 12v power outlet in boot of my SX4. This will be primarily used for my car fridge which is too bulky to be kept in the cabin.

Firstly, is this possible at all? and if yes, can it be done without voiding the warranty?

Mods: I searched but couldnt find a thread on this topic. Please merge if similar thread exists.
Old 8th August 2012, 19:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Additional Power Outlet in Boot

There are many options to do the same. The below links should help you with some fair amount of idea to start this small project.

FAQ : 116 : Install an Additional 12v Power Sockets for SatNav etc. - C4 - DS4 Owners

Warranty would not be entertained in case something with the electrical conks off anyways but you will need to very careful to route this additional circuit via a Fuse so that it ensures any overload is taken care of.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th August 2012 at 19:50.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 13:54   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here's a related thread : Link
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 14:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Using the related thread that GTO has linked to: You will realised that all you need is a lighter receptacle and a length of wire from the dashboard to the car.

A few words of caution:

You will have to first decide what kind of connection you want in the boot
  1. Always on (since you have a fridge in the boot, would you want the fridge to turn off everytime you stop for a coffee somewhere?)
  2. Direct on but with a switch in the dash. (What if you leave the fridge in the car with the switch on all night?)
  3. On the ignition switch (fridge works when ignition is on)
If there is nothing connected to the lighter socket and it is on, there is no power consumption and no danger if it is well wired and fused.

One more word of advice: A lot of car electricians attempt to connect a socket like that to the ignition/car stereo/lighter harness.

From personal experience I know that a car fridge has a higher load (a compressor car fridge) and you should either connect straight to battery with a 3 sq mm electrical cable (or through a switch), or if you insist on connecting it to the ignition switch, use a relay (commonly called a cut-out)

And if you connect it directly to the battery, use a 10A fuse holder. So that if it shorts by mistake, your battery and car will be safe.

Cheers
Sam Kapasi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 14:48   #5
BANNED

Let me add, you should find an unused fuse in the fuse box and use it. Normally a 10A /15A is the fuse is what you need. The wiring should be to the Accessory or Ignition circuit.

For a car fridge 10A should be enough but I will got for 15A to be sure.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 14:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The wiring should be to the Accessory or Ignition circuit.
Usually ignition is what I suggest, but since it is a refrigerator, I suggested a direct connection.

I too have a fridge in the Land Rover - when I go for long journeys, I do not want to park the fridge in the heat while I eat lunch or rest.
When I come back, either the food will be spoiled or my Thums Up will be warm.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 15:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Or, can't we just extend the chord and bring it from under the carpet and hook it on to the cigarette lighter socket which is already there ? We can remove it whenever we want to, right ?
Old 9th August 2012, 15:24   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Or, can't we just extend the cord and bring it from under the carpet and hook it on to the cigarette lighter socket which is already there ? We can remove it whenever we want to, right ?
This is what I do. Only one problem, finding a two in one socket of adequate rating is very tough. I bought three (all turned out to be 2A) before I found one with Tropicool. You normally need one for the GPS or mobile.
Old 9th August 2012, 17:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Usually ignition is what I suggest, but since it is a refrigerator, I suggested a direct connection.
Thanks. I guess I will go in for an ignition connection since the fridge that I have has option to connect to mains and if I stop over for the night / for a few hours, I can always take the fridge with me and continue powering it from the room / hotel.

A direct connection makes more sense logically but since I am most likely not going to do this as a DIY, I am not very sure of the electrician's ability to do everything safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
This is what I do. Only one problem, finding a two in one socket of adequate rating is very tough. I bought three (all turned out to be 2A) before I found one with Tropicool. You normally need one for the GPS or mobile.
Was it this one:
TROPIcool 4-Socket Plug CL865
http://tropicoolindia.com/index.php?...emart&Itemid=3

Last edited by shreeps : 9th August 2012 at 17:38.
Old 9th August 2012, 19:58   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Was it this one:
TROPIcool 4-Socket Plug CL865
TROPIcool 4-Socket Plug CL865 | Tropicool
No, SZ33 two in one was the one.
Old 16th August 2012, 21:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you can power the fridge in your room wall socket, then why dont get a Car Inverter. Belkin has those. I have seen them with multiple sockets for Laptop, Mobile Charger, Camera Battery Charger etc.. One end goes into your Car Power Socket and the other has the normal sockets which can be used to charge stuff, same way you do at home. I am not aware of the model number etc but i think these would make more sense instead of modifying something. Make sure you check the power ratings of those inverters.

Belkin : Power

Cheers
Old 16th August 2012, 22:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
If you can power the fridge in your room wall socket, then why dont get a Car Inverter. Belkin has those. I have seen them with multiple sockets for Laptop, Mobile Charger, Camera Battery Charger etc.. One end goes into your Car Power Socket and the other has the normal sockets which can be used to charge stuff, same way you do at home. I am not aware of the model number etc but i think these would make more sense instead of modifying something. Make sure you check the power ratings of those inverters.

Cheers
What good would that do ? He already has a fridge which works in 12V DC and does not need an even more clumsy dash with wires hanging around.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 16th August 2012 at 22:58.
Old 16th August 2012, 22:59   #13
BHPian

Not a very difficult job. Any good auto electrician will be able to do it. Just need a cig. lighter. Don,t forget to put fuse in the wiring.
Old 16th August 2012, 23:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

I too have a fridge in the Land Rover - when I go for long journeys, I do not want to park the fridge in the heat while I eat lunch or rest.
When I come back, either the food will be spoiled or my Thums Up will be warm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitl View Post
Not a very difficult job. Any good auto electrician will be able to do it. Just need a cig. lighter. Don,t forget to put fuse in the wiring.
I agree with SAm but the only thing interseting you MUST "Remember" to turn off the fridge when you park the car for long durations( assume you are spending the night in a hotel) else battery would drain.

The best option though is Belkin or any other car-inverters.
Old 17th August 2012, 09:25   #15
BANNED

I have had a car fridge for over 30 years, and find the power through the accessory position more than Ok. Never felt any problems in all these years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks