Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 17:50   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Headers for Suzuki 1.2 K Series (Downstream O2 Sensor)

How is the performance of the engine? Does it feel like it might be running rich?
Old 11th March 2013, 18:35   #47
Senior - BHPian

Nothing to complain about the performance, primary O2 sensor relocation and the coolant bypass mod made a greater impact than expected.
Old 11th March 2013, 21:45   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Nothing to complain about the performance, primary O2 sensor relocation and the coolant bypass mod made a greater impact than expected.
Good to hear. Check the mileage once with the full tank method.
Old 14th May 2013, 22:26   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly! The pics of headers from abroad i've seen on the net have the O2 bung on the collector and i've never seen one with the bung on a single runner.

Here the scene is like this, for mail ordered headers i didnt have many choices, the builder builds them as a plug n play part with no lengthening of wiring reqd and thus mounting the sensor on the single runner.

My colleagues Esteem is running a header (bought from N1) and after some miles it started pinging. We opened the plug and found that the cylinder which was being read by the O2 was running alright and 2 other cylinders were running kind of hot. Since the Esteem doesn't have post cat sensors and lesser complications i've asked him to get an O2 mounting done at the first collector at least if not the second one.

There was a cat con on the manifold which is now removed when the header was installed. There is a muffler like thingy on the underside which i'm not sure whether if its just a central muffler or a secondary cat.

If i can reliably delete the 2nd O2 from the system with some electronic hack i would seal the first bung and install the first O2 where the 2nd is being mounted now. That should be a little more reliable for metering than the current setup.
Hello Sankar,
Bumping this thread again as I am planning similar mods for my Ritz due to the mechanical similarity with the (K series) Swift; hope you haven't had the CEL issues after the latest hack!? Going through your thread and specifically the above post, do you think a 4X1 header (instead of the 4X2X1) would've resolved the 2nd O2 sensor issue? What I mean is, in a 4X1 setup (not withstanding the performance impact vis-a-vis a 4X2X1) having the bung for the second O2 sensor on the single collector would've ensured all runners dumping into the single collector giving the 2nd sensor requisite inputs from all cylinders? It just crossed my mind, sorry if it sounds noob!! And while we're at it, can you also shed some light on a 4X2X1 setup verus a 4X1 setup?

Thanks,
Old 15th May 2013, 08:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Hello Sankar,
Bumping this thread again as I am planning similar mods for my Ritz due to the mechanical similarity with the (K series) Swift; hope you haven't had the CEL issues after the latest hack!? Going through your thread and specifically the above post, do you think a 4X1 header (instead of the 4X2X1) would've resolved the 2nd O2 sensor issue? What I mean is, in a 4X1 setup (not withstanding the performance impact vis-a-vis a 4X2X1) having the bung for the second O2 sensor on the single collector would've ensured all runners dumping into the single collector giving the 2nd sensor requisite inputs from all cylinders? It just crossed my mind, sorry if it sounds noob!! And while we're at it, can you also shed some light on a 4X2X1 setup verus a 4X1 setup?

Thanks,
Make sure that its the first O2 sensor which gets to read from all 4 or atleast 2 cylinders. The second O2 sensor if installed in the pipe should read a lesser amount of O2 than the first sensor, and so it doesn't need to read from all 4 cylinders at all. I placed the second sensor out of the pipe secured in the engine bay, but still connected in the harness and it worked with no CEL. You will definitely need to lengthen the wires of the first O2 sensor.

4x1 is said to be good for high RPM power and 4x2x1 is said to be good for low RPM power and better suited for regular driving. But this rule is not strictly set in stone and it depends on the exhaust builder, i remember reading about 4x1 exhaust done by Joel proving otherwise.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 15:33   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Make sure that its the first O2 sensor which gets to read from all 4 or atleast 2 cylinders. The second O2 sensor if installed in the pipe should read a lesser amount of O2 than the first sensor, and so it doesn't need to read from all 4 cylinders at all. I placed the second sensor out of the pipe secured in the engine bay, but still connected in the harness and it worked with no CEL. You will definitely need to lengthen the wires of the first O2 sensor.

4x1 is said to be good for high RPM power and 4x2x1 is said to be good for low RPM power and better suited for regular driving. But this rule is not strictly set in stone and it depends on the exhaust builder, i remember reading about 4x1 exhaust done by Joel proving otherwise.
Thanks for the quick response! I am also aiming to fix the low RPM grunt issue via these mods. But since Vitamin M would be the decider in getting all of those, what is the sequence of the mods would you suggest?
Piggyback ECU -> Air Intake -> Exhaust or all at once?

Although I am yet to find the right people here in Hyd who can help me do these mods, I just want to take it step-by-step to have assured gains.
Old 15th May 2013, 15:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Thanks for the quick response! I am also aiming to fix the low RPM grunt issue via these mods. But since Vitamin M would be the decider in getting all of those, what is the sequence of the mods would you suggest?
Piggyback ECU -> Air Intake -> Exhaust or all at once?

Although I am yet to find the right people here in Hyd who can help me do these mods, I just want to take it step-by-step to have assured gains.
Do the exhaust, then air intake and then go for piggyback. Eventhough the piggyback will make a noticeable difference in a stock car keep it for the last after breathing mods because it will save you a tuning session. I'm still awaiting a tune-up session for my car post the breathing mods.
Old 18th May 2013, 02:48   #53
BHPian

There is no hard and fast rule about the 4-2-1 concept. I have always proven my numbers on the dyno and off the dyno and in real world conditions about how my 4-1 systems have terrific low-end torque with all the cream for high rpm performance.
How does 135nm at 2500rpm on a street 1.5L NA Honda city sound? Puts Diesels to shame!
Applies to all the cars that we have built till date.
Old 18th May 2013, 06:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
There is no hard and fast rule about the 4-2-1 concept. I have always proven my numbers on the dyno and off the dyno and in real world conditions about how my 4-1 systems have terrific low-end torque with all the cream for high rpm performance.
How does 135nm at 2500rpm on a street 1.5L NA Honda city sound? Puts Diesels to shame!
Applies to all the cars that we have built till date.
Joel, let me know if you can build an exhaust for the new Swift K. The issue would be traveling to Blore, so let me know if its possible otherwise.
Old 30th June 2013, 16:48   #55
Senior - BHPian

Alll is well! No CEL after the last change done, so this seems to be a reliable method to sort out the CEL associated with the 2nd o2 sensor in Suzuki K12 engines. Also in this engine the first sensor needs to read from atleast 2 cylinders for better performance.
Old 10th July 2013, 18:20   #56
Senior - BHPian

Got myself some mufflers this time,
1) a magnaflow magnapack to use in place of the resonator...
Headers for Suzuki 1.2 K Series (Downstream O2 Sensor)-20130628_103647.jpg

2)... and a larger offset magnaflow muffler to use as the rear muffler
Headers for Suzuki 1.2 K Series (Downstream O2 Sensor)-20130709_201421.jpg
Headers for Suzuki 1.2 K Series (Downstream O2 Sensor)-20130709_201438.jpg

Haven't got these installed yet.
Old 12th July 2013, 13:27   #57
Senior - BHPian

congrats sankar heading to hercules for installation? give me a call when you go
Old 12th July 2013, 15:46   #58
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! Not yet installed, thinking of getting it installed at Coimbatore when i go there early next month. I'll call you if i go to Hercules before that.
Old 20th July 2013, 20:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

Got it installed today! Sounds good, better than i thought. Now the problem is I feel like mashing the pedal everytime to hear the sound.
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:53   #60
Senior - BHPian

Tell me about it

When do we meet up? Need to try out JK's white elephant on steroids as well

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks