Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Modifications to make a car "Highway-Friendly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Installing a STRUT BRACE ?

Designed for providing more rigidity to the suspension for high speed driving ( on highway ) without actually stiffening the suspension setup.
Should inspire confidence for bad handling cars.

Attachment 1008792

But has any one used it here & found the difference ? Is it actually worth it or just a good show when the engine is popped up ?

Also what about SWAY BARS ? (to control the body roll)

^ the above mods are cheaper than suspension upgrades IMO
Hi @karan561

Where can one get sway bar installed in India. There is no detail or website of the same (in India), except maybe few modifiers.

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:57   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @karan561

Where can one get sway bar installed in India. There is no detail or website of the same (in India), except maybe few modifiers.

Thanks in advance
As you are staying around NCR, you can contact Autopsyche (www.autopsyche.com) im sure they will have them & will do a good installation

Also, N1 Racing Equipment (Mumbai) also has it here is the link;

http://www.n1-racing.com/product_det...ml?product=nKI

Last edited by karan561 : 3rd November 2012 at 15:01.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 16:49   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Hi Suhaas307, are these cameras legal in India? I have tried fitting my standard digicam once using a windscreen mount in Mumbai, got pulled over to 'explain' what it was and why I was recording a video of the road. Had to take it down and pack it up. Apparently, it is a combination issue of threats and permits needed. Can you provide your views on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Go-pro is a good action camera but its battery last hardly 2hrs. The video file size is also huge. This is not good if you intend to use it for surveillance purpose.
I know very little about these cameras (cameras in general) and their legalities. I will look out for that.

It's just a suggestion, given that it works sort of like a black-box on airplanes.

There are several cars in Russia that have them but it's definitely not fitted by the make of the vehicle. No surprises for guessing the reason for that.
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What be the benefit of a sump guard on the highway? I was given to understand it benefits off roaders only. Could you please link to some models online for Indian Cars?

Hi Suhaas307, are these cameras legal in India?
A stray stone hitting a car at high speed, can possibly cause damage to underside, its not a must, but there is no harm in fitting a sump guard anyways.

Query on Dash mounted cameras? Please PM HVK sir, he has been using this for a long time.
Old 5th November 2012, 01:39   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Can you please give me details on where you got this, and is it available online? Rs 150 is a sweet cost.
I forgot the name of the shop located in the electrical wholesale market of Pune. Will find out and let you know. I got it cheaper since I had purchased a dozen and gifted it to friends and relatives. There are many types available -

>> Single 1 watt LED with reflector (spot light with useful range 150 feet) and rechargeable battery included - approx. 350/-

>> Quarter watt, 3 LED cluster with mini reflector and wider beam. Works on 2 AA cells. Range 30 feet - approx. 150/-

>> Same as first one but with toggle switch for high-low intensity of light.
>> Same as first one but with replacable AA batteries.

Junglee.com sells some imported ones online ...
http://www.junglee.com/8056428-Quech...964073&sr=1-16

http://www.junglee.com/Voltec-Indust.../ref=s_as_dp_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I don't agree with replacing comfort tyres with older patterns tyres for highway usage. Newer designed tyres are generally much safer for high speed highway usage
I should have mentioned replacing comfort tyres with performance tyres but since these are pricey I simply suggested using older patterns that have stiffer sidewalls. I know these lack in dry/wet grip but then, I would discourage anyone exceeding 100 kmph, even if they had gold-belted tyres !!! Our roads conditions and the safety awareness of other road users is abysmally low.

Quote:
Is there a standard set of fuses we can buy from any shop and keep? or are these specific to car manufacturer/ models?
Fuses come in 2 or 3 standard sizes and should be available with any service center. I usually keep a spare for the a/c, 12v cigarette lighter socket, power windows, head lights and tail lights. The car user's manual will tell you where the fuse box is located and the amp rating.
Modifications to make a car "Highway-Friendly"-3fuse.jpg
Old 5th November 2012, 09:37   #36

Great Thread! I do own a Ford Figo and have made a few Highway trips on it but the power delivery is not where I would have liked. Can I use kind of a Pete's box to enhance that? And will that hamper my warranty since I am covered for 4 years including extended warranty. Also, where can I find a good mod in NCR?
Old 5th November 2012, 12:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @karan561

Thanks in advance
Try ultraracing.com, I had recieved a quote when I had just bought my innova to control the sway, and I am now seriously considering the same, as it not only reduces the sway and gives the car a more sedanish feel (my advisor testdrove an innova over 150K on the ODO fitted with it, and came back commenting that it drives like a sedan), but it also adds a huge element of safety. Apparently bars are fitted underneath, on the fender , etc thus making the car more strong.
an_and is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 15:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cars View Post
I do own a Ford Figo and have made a few Highway trips on it but the power delivery is not where I would have liked. Can I use kind of a Pete's box to enhance that?
Yes, if your Figo is diesel. For petrol engines, have a look at triphase here.

Quote:
And will that hamper my warranty since I am covered for 4 years including extended warranty.
Most likely yes, since you're tampering with the engine parameters.

Quote:
Also, where can I find a good mod in NCR?
Million dollar question as to who/ what you'd consider a good modifier. Look around- have a look at the NCR directory here.

On another vein:

Has anyone considered changing older steering wheels for a newer/ more comfortable one? Perhaps one where you can rest your thumbs. I drive holding the side of the steering wheel and the inside of my thumb gets rubbed raw by the end of a long drive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but apart from the usual aftermarket momos and sparcos, am assuming steering wheels from the same manufacturer would fit across different models?

Last edited by arjyamaj : 5th November 2012 at 15:18.
Old 5th November 2012, 23:52   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
Apparently bars are fitted underneath, on the fender , etc thus making the car more strong.
Few pics of similar installations done on a CIVIC @ N1-Racing, Mumbai ;

Side Fender Strut Brace;

Modifications to make a car "Highway-Friendly"-522448_10151199180799651_1931787008_n.jpg

Anti Roll Bar , Chassis Strut Brace ;

Modifications to make a car "Highway-Friendly"-602638_10151199180464651_965395883_n.jpg

Anti Roll Bar ( Rear ) ;

Modifications to make a car "Highway-Friendly"-76204_10151199180259651_896347949_n.jpg
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 09:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjyamaj View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but apart from the usual aftermarket momos and sparcos, am assuming steering wheels from the same manufacturer would fit across different models?
Arjya,

Long time mate...how are you doing. Congratulations on the recent upgrade to your social life

To answer your question- wheels from all Maruti cars may not fit your alto, though you could try juxtaposing the wheel from the ALto K10. That should be a good fit, though I am not sure how technically feasible it would be. Best to give a tinkle to your friendly neighbourhood MASS to check that.

On another note, since you seem to be frequenting the highway, have you considered a bigger and safer (new or used) car to your Alto?

I changed my 800 to a Swift this year, by the way.
Old 6th November 2012, 12:04   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Congratulations on the recent upgrade to your social life

On another note, since you seem to be frequenting the highway, have you considered a bigger and safer (new or used) car to your Alto?
Thanks man. It has been a while. Upgrades in social life have a way of stalling upgrades in your motoring life

Quote:
To answer your question- wheels from all Maruti cars may not fit your alto, though you could try juxtaposing the wheel from the ALto K10. That should be a good fit, though I am not sure how technically feasible it would be. Best to give a tinkle to your friendly neighbourhood MASS to check that.
Or the new Alto 800 perhaps? Even that seems to have a nicer steering wheel (with thumb rests). However, it may take a while before spare parts are available for the Alto 800. There are a couple of scattered posts here that raise the same question, without much success. Will ask the local garage sometime soon.

AFAIK, there have been cases of Polo owners upgrading to Vento steering wheels.

In any case, momo replicas seem to be more popular for upgrades, provided you get an adapter hub.

Quote:
I changed my 800 to a Swift this year, by the way.
Congratulations!
Old 6th November 2012, 12:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjyamaj View Post

Or the new Alto 800 perhaps? Even that seems to have a nicer steering wheel (with thumb rests). However, it may take a while before spare parts are available for the Alto 800.
In any case, momo replicas seem to be more popular for upgrades, provided you get an adapter hub.

Yup, the new Alto wheel seems to be more grip-friendly than the old one, you could give that a shot. However, I did find the K10 wheel to be pretty comfortable and good to hold, and hence the suggestion. Boils down to ergonomics for individual users.

Momos definitely look good, but I'm not sure how comfortable they would be from the perspective of long journeys.
Old 6th November 2012, 15:16   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Good thread.

2. Get some rubber damping in wheel wells. I am planning on the underside of the roof also to get some noise isolation
Thats interesting. Any recommended products? I get bugged by the tyre roar on highways.
Old 6th November 2012, 15:19   #44
BHPian

Some suggestions (cant call them 'modifications'). I also once owned an Alto which was taken out on highway occasionally.

1. Torch in the dashboard. I have always kept and has helped me on occasions when I need dismount and check the tyres/underbody. Also helpful to scan surroundings during planned/unplanned stops.

2. Rain coat or wind cheater - preferably of Yellow/White/Orange/Florescent colour. Much better than umbrellas in rain and is actually good for winters as well.

3. Empty plastic bottles - for occassions you need to top up the water or fuel in the car.

4. Reflective stickers - I have seen them on trucks and if tastefully done will suit the car as well. My old Alto had full racing stripes [ ] which increased visibility of the vehicle.

5. Anti-Glare RVM - must have for Alto as rear vehicle beams come straight into the cabin.

6. Perforated Blind for rear windshield To hide the luggage and prevent high beam affecting the cabin.
Old 7th November 2012, 09:28   #45
CJP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
Try ultraracing.com, I had recieved a quote when I had just bought my innova to control the sway, and I am now seriously considering the same, as it not only reduces the sway and gives the car a more sedanish feel (my advisor testdrove an innova over 150K on the ODO fitted with it, and came back commenting that it drives like a sedan), but it also adds a huge element of safety. Apparently bars are fitted underneath, on the fender , etc thus making the car more strong.
I got the entire set fitted to my Innova in February last year. The kit included the front and rear anti sway bars from Ultraracing.com; thru Aditya Nath, of Ultra Racing India. His email ID is ultraracingindia@gmail.com, and office address is (as of Feb 2011)

Aditya Nath
Off add: 11, Sadhna Bldg,
206 Telang x Road,
Scheme 6, Matunga Cntrl
Mumbai 400019
Maharashtra
tel: 022-24077979
cell: 9322237979

Here is a video of how it is fitted to the Innova

The cost in Feb 2011 was about Rs.25,000/-, + freight and fitment. I got this fitted at Red Rooster Racing, fitting charges was Rs.3,000/-

Experience wise - fitting the anti sway bars has resulted in a marked improvement in the Innova's behavior on the road. The vehicle is more stable in corners, rides over Bangalore's pothole and speed bump infested roads with elan, and the car behaves very well under extreme braking as I recently found out on a drive to Rameshwaram. I had to brake while doing 120 kmph on the highway to avoid an old man who decided to plonk his cycle on the highway and come straight at us.

One word of caution - the front sway bars will scrape some of the bigger speed bumps and the grating noise will set your teeth on edge, especially when the Innova is full. The scraping will also occur if you brake too late and climb the speed bump before the suspension settles.

And of course fitting these will invite some conversation from curious cab drivers who want to know what the extra 'rods' are for :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks