Team-BHP - Figo Suspension - to mod or not to mod
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Figo Suspension - to mod or not to mod (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/129938-figo-suspension-mod-not-mod.html)

Dear friends, I need your help.

I have a 2010 Ford Figo petrol. It is currently sitting in a garage (FNG), with its front suspension completely dismantled. Both front shocks are leaking oil, and the linkages on both sides are shot. So obviously, they all need replacing.

Question is - what after market performance suspension parts are available for the Figo? And are they worth it? Or should I just replace with stock spec parts?

I'm not sure if bilsteins B6 will fit the figo, but you should find out and if it does fit then go for it without thinking twice.
That's the first thing I'm going to do the day my car runs out of warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiloAlpha (Post 2983286)
Question is - what after market performance suspension parts are available for the Figo? And are they worth it? Or should I just replace with stock spec parts?

The Bilstein B6 should be a perfect fit. I had enquired almost an year back with Pete's in Cochin and the price quoted was upwards of 46K. There are many other options too, however... the suspension setup would be the last thing to worry about in a Figo.

All that it lacks is power, I think you should save money on the suspension and spend it on making it go faster, the Figo has an excellent chassis which can easily take a more powerful setup than the 1.6 Duratec in the Classic Fiesta :D

The price difference between aftermarket & stock is rather large. If you have to change shocks, change all four sides. A cheaper option will be to keep stock dampers & add lowering springs. You will have to do your research properly. DO NOT go for aftermarket coil-over-shock suspension as it will make your ride HARD & is only good for racing.

Why is the suspension shot so early? Was it the bad roads or is it some bad news for the figo owners?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiloAlpha (Post 2983286)

Are you planning for a turbo upgrade? then go for tein suspensions else replacing with OEM is more than enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramzsys
Why is the suspension shot so early? Was it the bad roads or is it some bad news for the figo owners?

It was a combination of bad roads and pig headed driving. No bad news for other Figo owners.

KA, although I'll give that the Bilsteins would be perfect, I'm a big fan of the Figo's OE suspension. A massive contributor to its beautiful handling capabilities, IMHO.

I would also recommend that go with stock specs and look to invest in a remap instead. I promise you it will take the game to another level.

On a side note, I'm more interested in why the suspension on a 2-year old car is shot btw. I haven't heard of such a thing before in the case of a Figo. Could you throw some more light on the diagnosis?

You have to be kidding. The Figo has such amazing balance between ride & handling in stock form. Why on earth would you want to upgrade? Performance dampers are very expensive, difficult to source and have zero after-sales support. Upgrades should be implemented where they are required and, IMHO, the Figo's suspension simply doesn't need any after-market treatment.

Leave the performance dampers for owners of the i20, Micra et al :)

Thanks a lot guys. I have asked friendly neighbourhood mechanic to procure stock parts.

Just to re-iterate, I have been rather unforgiving and pig headed about the way I drive on bad roads (which, apparently, is all roads in Bangalore). I have, on a fairly regular basis, dropped the car into craters at speed.

Not really surprising that the suspension is shot. What really surprises me is that the tyres (185/60R14 Bridgestone Potenza RIII) or the alloys have not been damaged!

KiloAlpha, A trait I have seen with Ford spares is that, the quality of spares obtained from outside doesn't match the A.S.S, which is really good. Also, IIRC, changing a damper is just 150 bucks in Calicut (Couple of years back). So, labour is also not that an issue.

However, as you have chosen the FNG, please make sure you get good parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 2983932)
KiloAlpha, A trait I have seen with Ford spares is that, the quality of spares obtained from outside doesn't match the A.S.S, which is really good. Also, IIRC, changing a damper is just 150 bucks in Calicut (Couple of years back). So, labour is also not that an issue.

However, as you have chosen the FNG, please make sure you get good parts.

I guess you might be wondering why I did not go to A.S.S and went with FNG instead? That is because the mechanics at A.S.S. simply did not think it worth the while to do a proper diagnosis of what the problem is. They also showed a remarkable disinclination to not listen. Twice, they had been unable to diagnose the issue.

Also, I am comfortable sitting down with the mechanic in a garage and opening my car up with him. Which is what I did. And I could see for myself what really is wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiloAlpha (Post 2983978)

I guess you might be wondering why I did not go to A.S.S and went with FNG instead? That is because the mechanics at A.S.S. simply did not think it worth the while to do a proper diagnosis of what the problem is.

KiloAlpha sorry for your plight mate. Which A.S.S is this?

Also sticking to stock suspension is better than going for Bilsteins and Konis. Firstly they cost a lot and secondly no support for them here. So in case a problem happens, you will have to change it again rather than repairs IMHO.

Drive safe.

Do NOT install lowering springs on stock dampers, even if they are brand new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OP
Not really surprising that the suspension is shot. What really surprises me is that the tyres (185/60R14 Bridgestone Potenza RIII) or the alloys have not been damaged!

Either the suspension takes the beating or the tyres do. In your case, the former it is.