Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2013, 21:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Unichipped my Swift 1.2

Thank you Sankar for the nice remarks ! It's just that we are passionate about car tuning !

I am happy with the results of Sankar's car. The tuning was a bit of a rush though - as it was done in less than an hour of actual tuning on the dyno. Looking forward to a more detaled tune the next time.

In this car we have done only fuelling and timing advance changes at present. We could possibly play around with the cam timing and throttle response too (since this is a drive by wire system).

@thoma - please see the heading of the dyno reports - the 1500 rpm figures are to be disregarded. this is because of the way a inertial dyno run is done - we accelerate the car from below 1500 rpm all the way up to the redline. In some runs, when we do not start accelerating from a much lower rpm (say 1200 rpm) and start from an rpm closer to 1500 rpm (say 1400+ rpm), the car will not be pulling clear when we cross 1500 rpm - this results in a lower reading.
sapl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 17:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The fuel light has come up this morning at 6513KMs, will post the actual figures when the light comes up next.
Yesterday i had filled with 6.34 litres of XtraPremium (500 rupees worth) after the light came on. And today the fuel light came on today at 6616Kms. The difference is 103Kms, and the FE is 103/6.34 = 16.2km/l. This is completely inside Trivandrum with AC always on. The Fe Average displayed on MID now reads 18.6.
Old 9th January 2013, 19:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapl View Post
Thank you Sankar for the nice remarks ! It's just that we are passionate about car tuning ....
Sapl, It is possible to do a similar tuning in the Ritz. I have a Ritz 1.2 with a K-series engine and without the VVT engine. Could you please advice if this kind of a performance mod is available. Thanks in Advance.
Old 9th January 2013, 19:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday i had filled with 6.34 litres of XtraPremium (500 rupees worth) after the light came on. And today the fuel light came on today at 6616Kms. The difference is 103Kms, and the FE is 103/6.34 = 16.2km/l. This is completely inside Trivandrum with AC always on. The Fe Average displayed on MID now reads 18.6.
Sankar, the best way to measure mileage is full tank to full tank method. It is also the most accurate. Fill all the way up to the brim and then drive till empty and then tank up to the brim again.
Old 10th January 2013, 16:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Sapl, It is possible to do a similar tuning in the Ritz. I have a Ritz 1.2 with a K-series engine and without the VVT engine. Could you please advice if this kind of a performance mod is available. Thanks in Advance.
Yes, the Unichip can be fitted to almost any car which has an ecu.

@vikram d - I agree with you that tank fill to tank fill is the best way to measure fuel efficiency.

Last edited by sapl : 10th January 2013 at 16:50.
Old 19th January 2013, 19:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Couple of weeks ago I ordered for a set of headers from N1 Engineering in Mumbai for my Swift and it was delivered yesterday. I got it installed today and i'm happy with the additional increase in performance this brings alongwith the Unichip.

Will head out to Coimbatore to get a retune from Spitfire after i get an airintake done too.

Unichipped my Swift 1.2-201301190241.jpg

Unichipped my Swift 1.2-201301190243.jpg
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 20:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

I bought this couple of weeks ago and two days ago it was delivered by the Postman who wanted me to pay a hefty sum as duty :( ... i paid that and got the possession of this, comes in a shiny big tin can, like the ones some cookies and biscuits come, but i wish it didn't because without the tin can shipping could've been cheaper! I have had good experience with BMC system in the past when i used their CDA in my AStar. The OTA with the trumpet thing should make a nice difference. (Btw the CDA and few other things were delivered duty free by Post Office, so not complaining much )

I have installed this (DIY) in the car last week with the supplied clamp then got another (not so good looking) clamp done last weekend but still i'm not very happy with the way it looks. The pic attached is with the supplied clamp.

Unichipped my Swift 1.2-201301310302.jpg

The duct which comes with this OTA system is different compared to any i've seen so far from K&N to Green to BMC CDA to Universal silicone/neoprene ducts. It is a wire helix rubber+neoprene duct like any other but its different because the inside of the duct is smooth and even in the bends the insides don't crumple like other ducts and are, compared to other, very radiused and smooth. I have directed the duct opening towards a slot on the grille through which outside air will enter when the car is on the move. The OBD logs do confirm a lower IAT reading.

Performance is better than with the stock airbox, car pulls better and a flatspot which was there at round 2500-3kish RPM seems to have minimised. Will dyno the car once i go to Coimbatore, a tune up visit is pending post headers and now BMC OTA.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 10:50   #23
BHPian

This is very interesting! I'm not too happy with my swift VVTs performance - this looks like the perfect solution.

I'm worried about the warranty though - does installing the chip void the engine warranty? What about the headers and CAI? I hear Maruti takes a more lenient stand..

Also please post updates once you get your car retuned!
Old 18th February 2013, 10:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Technically the engine&ecu warranty should go for a toss with the addition of the piggyback, headers and the air box. IF you have good relations with the SA and the dealer then they might help you out, anyway i'm not banking on that. For me the warranty is as good as void and i haven't taken the extended warranty and don't intend to either.
Old 18th February 2013, 10:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
could you share contact details? I would like to explore this for my older gen Swift Zxi (2009)
Old 19th February 2013, 10:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
could you share contact details? I would like to explore this for my older gen Swift Zxi (2009)
Details are on the first thread itself, you can contact sapl on this forum.
Old 25th February 2013, 13:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Technically the engine&ecu warranty should go for a toss with the addition of the piggyback, headers and the air box
I was thinking of installing only the piggyback. Can the piggyback alone be removed (hopefully without tell tale signs) before a service? I believe Pete's boxes can be removed this way.

My car is nearly brand-new (it's run barely 2k kms till now). Is it better to wait till the car is fully run-in (say 5k km) before installing such mods?
Old 25th February 2013, 14:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I was thinking of installing only the piggyback. Can the piggyback alone be removed (hopefully without tell tale signs) before a service? I believe Pete's boxes can be removed this way.

My car is nearly brand-new (it's run barely 2k kms till now). Is it better to wait till the car is fully run-in (say 5k km) before installing such mods?
Vehicle/ECU specific harness is available, check with sapl if its available for your car. If it is then it'll be easier to install and take off. And yes let the car complete 5k kms and since the vehicle is new do an oil change (not necessary, just recommended) before taking it for the tune.
Old 18th March 2013, 22:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hey do you know of a simple plug and play chip that will work with the Beat ? Nothing fancy, just something that gives it a little boost.

I also read your other thread about your headers and the problems with the downstream O2 sensor. I want to go for a complete set of headers and ffe but this is the only thing that is causing me concern. The CEL coming on and then the air/fuel mixture running lean, negating the FFE !!

Id appreciate any advice on the same. You have just disconnected the downstream sensor, extended the wire and zip tied it near the engine right ? Hows that working out so far ?

Could you also PM the cost of the chip and wether it can be pre-tuned for the Beat and sent to Mumbai ?

Last edited by Mortis : 18th March 2013 at 22:50.
Old 4th May 2013, 12:01   #30

Hi, I got a unichip installed in honda city (ANHC) and was very dissapointed to notice that there has been absolutely no gain whatsoever in the car. please advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks