Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Performance Kit for Fortuner - Spider box, Tein Suspension, Warranty retained

Extra horses is always welcome but if there is an option to pick and choose the options one wants to add that would be really useful. First off the Tein Suspension kit should be welcome to reduce the body roll up to a certain extent. Second one would be the the Spider box for those extra horses. More than top speed if its designed to give more torque low down & mid range, that would transform to a real world advantage more for the AT variant.
Old 15th September 2013, 16:01   #17
BHPian

Re: Performance Kit for Fortuner - Spider box, Tein Suspension, Warranty retained

I see that there's a quite a bit of interest in the folks to increase the bhp of Fortuner to achieve speeds north of 140 easily with 5+ people on board. Aren't we supposed to not drive an SUV like a Sedan (and vice versa). I think it's dangerous to drive SUVs at high speeds. More so in case of Fortuner than say Yeti. Fortuner's center of gravity is way too high to drive at high speeds.

And I am assuming we are talking in the context of Indian roads and highways and not an Autobahn.
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:36   #18
BHPian

Diesel Tuning Box for Fortuner-Please advice

I am planning to install a tuning box for my 4 year old 4WD Fortuner which has run 45K+ kms on the odo.As i plan to keep the car for another three years I think it is time now to extract more from the car,there will be no warranty woes from now on.

Spider Tuning Box:
Spoke to the guys at Redrooster they claim this to be the best for Fortuner,final power output 220bhp 42.7nm torque.
Took a test drive of a fortuner with the box at Millennium Toyota I was happy with the way the car performed but the car was a 2WD Auto.They claim that no black smoke comes out even under hard acceleration.
Is it better if I get the BMC air filter also along with the box?

In Mumbai,Millennium Toyota installs all redrooster kits for Toyota Cars so I can trust them.
The Dyno shows 190 bhp after some loss of power which means the power output is some where around 215bhp.
Performance Kit for Fortuner - Spider box, Tein Suspension, Warranty retained-redrooster.png

Guys please tell me if I should also test the Petes and Race Dynamics Tuning Boxes also,are they better than the spider tuning box?
Can someone who has installed any of these tuning boxes please tell me how they perform.

Thanks&Regards
KN
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:46   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Diesel Tuning Box for Fortuner-Please advice

Red Rooster performance figures are good, + if Toyota themselves are confident by providing fitment & support you should go ahead with them.

BUT, brake upgrade is needed (make sure you have the upgraded brake booster) & hope you are running on 2nd set of tires.

^ If above 2 are not dealt with you may not be able to enjoy the increased power with confidence.

All the best
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

BUT, brake upgrade is needed (make sure you have the upgraded brake booster) & hope you are running on 2nd set of tires.

^ If above 2 are not dealt with you may not be able to enjoy the increased power with confidence.

All the best
Thanks Karan,
I have the new type brakes that toyota started offering after a while,similar to the ones on Prado,Does this have the upgraded booster?
And yes,New Michelin Latitude cross tyres are also coming up.

-KN
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:03   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
Thanks Karan,
I have the new type brakes that toyota started offering after a while,similar to the ones on Prado,Does this have the upgraded booster?
And yes,New Michelin Latitude cross tyres are also coming up.
-KN
Great, The Latitude Cross are a good choice & definitely Michelin will give you better grip than OE be it at high speeds or off road conditions.

Regarding the brake booster you can read these posts from my Fortuner thread which will give you an insight about the brake upgrade;

1) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3338958

2) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3339294
Old 22nd July 2014, 19:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Great, The Latitude Cross are a good choice & definitely Michelin will give you better grip than OE be it at high speeds or off road conditions.

Regarding the brake booster you can read these posts from my Fortuner thread which will give you an insight about the brake upgrade;

1) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3338958

2) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3339294
Thanks Karan,
Will update the boosters as well while installing the Box,I guess my discs also has to be changed now it has been skimmed twice already and I am thinking of putting the Brembo brake pads too.
Is it better than the stock ones?
Old 22nd July 2014, 20:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Karan,
Will update the boosters as well while installing the Box,I guess my discs also has to be changed now it has been skimmed twice already and I am thinking of putting the Brembo brake pads too.
Is it better than the stock ones?
kn09,

Just upgrading the boosters would be enough. There is enough bite you need with this upgrade, So i suggest no need for the brembo pads
Old 22nd July 2014, 20:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

kn09, i think there are few thread which talk about the same. I have even posted comments of Red Rooster's box feed back that my friend had on his fortuner from day 1!
His is an auto though.
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Spider Tuning Box:
Spoke to the guys at Redrooster they claim this to be the best for Fortuner,final power output 220bhp 42.7nm torque.

In Mumbai,Millennium Toyota installs all redrooster kits for Toyota Cars so I can trust them.
Quote:
Red Rooster performance figures are good, + if Toyota themselves are confident by providing fitment & support you should go ahead with them.
This looks suspiciously like the main dealer doing an aftermarket install without the express approval of the manufacturer.
At the very least does Toyota (http://www.toyotabharat.com/) know of this?
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
This looks suspiciously like the main dealer doing an aftermarket install without the express approval of the manufacturer.
At the very least does Toyota (http://www.toyotabharat.com/) know of this?
Lot of other Toyota dealers offer Redrooster products,which is probably because of TRD racing cup cars are built by Redrooster in India.So I am sure Toyota knows this.
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I am sure Toyota knows this.
Knowing is one thing. But do they approve? They don't announce redrooster as one of their partners.... or have they?

Quote:
Lot of other Toyota dealers offer Redrooster products,which is probably because of TRD racing cup cars are built by Redrooster in India.
So a dealer goes ahead and pushes a product. That's hardly any reason for the manufacturer to approve? Isn't it?

Point I am making is- unless there's approval - how can one know for sure, that all systems of the car - e.g. brake, suspension, drive train, chassis etc etc are all engineered to tolerate this modification.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 22nd July 2014 at 22:00.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 22:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Knowing is one thing. But do they approve? They don't announce redrooster as one of their partners.... or have they?

So a dealer goes ahead and pushes a product. That's hardly any reason for the manufacturer to approve? Isn't it?

Point I am making is- unless there's approval - how can one know for sure, that all systems of the car - e.g. brake, suspension, drive train, chassis etc etc are all engineered to tolerate this modification.
Of-course TKM does not explicitly approve any engine mods. But because we as customers interact with Toyota dealers and not Toyota Kirlsokar Motors directly, TKM need not know.

When I got my Innova tuned with Spider tuning kit by redrooster at a Toyota dealer in Kerala I also asked the same question and I was told that Toyota does not approve this mod or for that matter any other mod including changing your wiper blades to say Bosch wiper blades.

Usually these engine tuning does reduce the life of clutch, as experienced by our very own Distinguished Bhpian akshay1234 when he had Pete's installed for his Innova.

I don't know whether the dealers will honor warranty on clutch with such mods. But getting a tuning kit installed at the dealer is better than getting it installed because then you will avoid the hassle of removing and refitting before and after a service.

In case you get a tuning kit installed outside and the dealer makes a note of it then surely all warranty is over.

Just my two cents.
mroptimist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 22:20   #29
BHPian

I got the spider tuning box and BMC air filter installed today,made a 80km trip including the sea-link and eastern freeway and after that car is a different animal altogether
kn09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 16:28   #30

Hi

Can you please provide updates post installation of the kit.

What impact did it have on FE ?

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks